Teraflex Spare Extension - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 10-25-2013, 10:09 AM   #1
Jeeper
 
Norcal73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 299
Teraflex Spare Extension

Anyone used this bracket? Installed last night and 32" tire clears the bumper great but sticks out further than I would have thought? I dont wheel in the rocks so with regular driving would it need to be braced back to the tailgate? Rubber bumps on tailgate are far from reaching. Not even sure the Daystar extended bumps would reach. Not a ton of rattling the tire around with normal driving and fire roads...

Attachment 461233

Norcal73 is offline   Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 10:45 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
Relocatedduckman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Ely, NV
Posts: 340
I have it and extended the bumpstops cause it puts pressure on the hinges. It will cause it to crack.. may not be today, but stress causes it to crack..

Relocatedduckman is offline   Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 10:55 AM   #3
Jeeper
 
Norcal73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relocatedduckman View Post
I have it and extended the bumpstops cause it puts pressure on the hinges. It will cause it to crack.. may not be today, but stress causes it to crack..
how did you extend yours? Can you shoot a pic? Thanks for the response.
Norcal73 is offline   Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 11:03 AM   #4
Jeeper
 
Relocatedduckman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Ely, NV
Posts: 340
There was pics of someone who used PVC piping.. That's what I used. Measure cut, paint black, get longer bolts, BOOM.. Done
Relocatedduckman is offline   Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 11:10 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
Norcal73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relocatedduckman View Post
There was pics of someone who used PVC piping.. That's what I used. Measure cut, paint black, get longer bolts, BOOM.. Done
easy enough thanks
Norcal73 is offline   Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 05:55 PM   #6
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 34,792
Images: 2
Such extensions are bad news because they dramatically increase the amount of leverage the spare tire has against the tailgate and its hinges. You shouldn't need an extension for a 32" tire anyway, I'd remove it sooner than later.
__________________
...Gone wheeling, back Sunday night.

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 06:11 PM   #7
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Water Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Roseville, CA
Posts: 7,204
Images: 11
When looking to mount my 33" on the tailgate I was concerned about extending it out away from the tailgate, so I went to a Hyline carrier that raised it a few inches without extending it further away from the body and it's really worked out well. A little more than a bracket, but IMO worth it.
HyLine OffRoad 300200100 - HyLine OffRoad Oversized Spare Tire Adaptor Bracket for 97-06 Jeep® Wrangler TJ & Unlimited - Quadratec
__________________
Dennis
Water Dog is online now   Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 07:41 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
Norcal73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Such extensions are bad news because they dramatically increase the amount of leverage the spare tire has against the tailgate and its hinges. You shouldn't need an extension for a 32" tire anyway, I'd remove it sooner than later.
Jerry problem was the 32 rubbed the bumper- had to lift up on tire slightly to close the tailgate. If the tire is braced back to the gate sufficiently would your opinion be its still bad? Dont want to wreck hinges obviously but dragging bumper wasnt good either. Wife/daughter had trouble closing it....
Norcal73 is offline   Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 08:33 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
MosesTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: jackson, ga
Posts: 1,315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcal73 View Post
Anyone used this bracket? Installed last night and 32" tire clears the bumper great but sticks out further than I would have thought? I dont wheel in the rocks so with regular driving would it need to be braced back to the tailgate? Rubber bumps on tailgate are far from reaching. Not even sure the Daystar extended bumps would reach. Not a ton of rattling the tire around with normal driving and fire roads...
could you not use some washers or some 1/2" nuts to space the tire enough to clear the bumper with the factory bolts? Or do the same and get longer studs.
MosesTJ is offline   Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 11:31 AM   #10
Jeeper
 
Norcal73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by MosesTJ View Post
could you not use some washers or some 1/2" nuts to space the tire enough to clear the bumper with the factory bolts? Or do the same and get longer studs.
tried...too far must have to do with the backspacing or something, stud lugs are tack welded into the factory bracket. Shame when something so simple ad mounting bigger spare has to turn into an engineered fab project! Welcome to JEEP!!
Norcal73 is offline   Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 11:59 AM   #11
Jeeper
 
MosesTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: jackson, ga
Posts: 1,315
My tire carrier is the same way, it sticks out a little but I like it. It makes getting stuff out of the back much easier when the rear window is not on.

MosesTJ is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:41 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC