Well it wasn't bad ground. We tried cutting the old lighter off and splicing in a new one, and that didn't work either. Pretty much, I got so frustrated with trying to fix what was wrong with it, that I just ended up hotwiring the old lighter to the battery, and it worked. I still have no idea what was wrong with the wiring or whatever on the old lighter. But anyways, as long as I don't leave anything plugged into the hotwired lighter now, I shouldnt have to worry about my battery being dead one day?