06-08-2009, 07:55 AM
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Tomball Texas
This could happen to you..well maybe
So about 1.5 months ago on a tuesday I take the Rubiclone out to help a fellow Jeeper get unstuck. The unsticking process goes as planned, and all is well. So, 3 days later on a friday morning I decide to take the rubiclone to work. I leave my neighborhood, hit the main road and immediately know something is wrong. The transmission (42RLE auto) is shifting in a very odd manner, and the Jeep feels like it has a 2 cyl motor in it as ALL power was gone. I turn it around and head back home.
That weekend I check the tranny fluid, and find it 1/2 qt low or so. I fill it back up, test drive, same result.
The following weekend, I pull the tranny pan, change fluid and filter. I got the new filter in, put on the new pan gasket, torque bolts to specs, and start to fill with fluid when I realize the pan is leaking like a screen door!! I had not gotten the gasket in good on back of pan, so I loose 5 qts of ATF+4. Back to the parts house for 5 new qts. I get the gasket corrected, refill, test drive......(filter = $15, 10 qts of ATF+4 @ 5.99 qt.)yup, same result.
I check the transmission relay and it LOOKS bad (kinda burned looking and nasty). I replace transmission control relay ($16.99)...yup, same result.
I am now fully aware that my transmission is bad (only 32K miles) so I order a used tranny out of a wrecked '06 LJ with 14K miles from Davey's Jeeps for $500. I spend ALL last weekend pulling old tranny and stabbing the new one. I go ahead and replace fluid and filter (same price as above). I take it out for a test drive...guess what...same result...I am now ready to use a gallon of gas and a match on it as I am now out of pocket about $850 - $900 with all the things I have purchased to FIX my transmission problem.
So, sunday morning I have a fellow Jeeper show up at my house with his OBDII. He hooks up, pulls codes ( I did the code check with the key, and got nothing before I ever started into this mess). Well he pulls up P0700, wich is TCM malfunction. He clears the code and the Rubiclone roars back to life...for 1 day. The P0700 code shows right back up. So I check with some mechanic buddys who tell me I need to replace the whole ECM/PCM as the TCM is a submodule of the whole thing.
I am going to order a used ECM/PCM in the next week as I found one for $175 out of a wrecked 2005 TJ.
What this boils down to is I should have dug a little deeper befor I started throwing parts at it. I fell like a total dumb-@ss!! This fiasco is going to end up costing me over $1100 when all said and done...(bye new gears).
Just wanted to share my stupidity with all of you!! Oh yea, if any one is looking for a GOOD USED 42RLE / torque converter with 32K miles, new filter, I have one for sale ($500)...I might even be able to work shipping in for that price!!
you sure gots a Purdy mouff boy!