Tired of your interior??? CHANGE IT! - Page 14 - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 06-15-2012, 09:51 AM   #391
Jeeper
 
Dragonii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbfire2 View Post
Sorry for the cell phone quality pictures
That looks awesome, love it.

Dragonii is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-15-2012, 10:05 AM   #392
Jeeper
 
Dragonii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doublesnook View Post
Do I HAVE to acetone. And can I use rustoluim?
You don't have to use acetone, you can use something like a commercial paint prep spray, however it cost a lot more. I used acetone because I had it laying around and I knew it would work. I have used it for years to clean aquarium glass when building or resealing tanks and I have used it to prep lexan R/C car bodies for paint. As Lilyeller said, it removes the oils that have accumulated on the plastic so that the paint can stick better.



Quote:
Originally Posted by labarr12 View Post
I'm wondering... What's the difference between the krylon fusion and something like duplicolor bumper paint. They're both plastic paints. Could the duplicolor be used on the interior, or the krylon on the fender flares?
Fusion and DBC are both made to bond to plastic in the same way. They are also both meant for flexible surfaces. The major difference is in the appearance of the finished product. For a nice factory looking black surface I prefer DBC. It has a beautiful satin, low gloss finish when it dries and I have never had any issues with it running or showing any other blemishes.

Here's a couple pictures of it on my mirror. You can see how it retains the factory look of black plastic.


Dragonii is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-15-2012, 10:25 AM   #393
Jeeper
 
labarr12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Greensboro, NC
Posts: 58
Thanks, very helpful! Almost last question, I promise. I'm wanting to paint my bumpers since they're really dull now. They're metal, so I should use something like a truck bed liner, not the dcb, right? I'm guessing the plastic paints don't do as well on metal...
labarr12 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-15-2012, 10:42 AM   #394
Jeeper
 
Dragonii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by labarr12 View Post
Thanks, very helpful! Almost last question, I promise. I'm wanting to paint my bumpers since they're really dull now. They're metal, so I should use something like a truck bed liner, not the dcb, right? I'm guessing the plastic paints don't do as well on metal...
It would actually work just fine, just use some primer fist. Considering that a Jeeps metal bumper is more likely to be banged into small trees or knocked into big rocks, bed liner would be tougher in the long run. Plus it's easy to patch and damage with bed liner.
But if you want a smooth, factory look finish, the DBC will work just fine. Just prime first, but I recommend that with any paint.
Dragonii is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-15-2012, 11:00 AM   #395
Jeeper
 
stuckinwater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonii
You don't have to use acetone, you can use something like a commercial paint prep spray, however it cost a lot more. I used acetone because I had it laying around and I knew it would work. I have used it for years to clean aquarium glass when building or resealing tanks and I have used it to prep lexan R/C car bodies for paint. As Lilyeller said, it removes the oils that have accumulated on the plastic so that the paint can stick better.

Fusion and DBC are both made to bond to plastic in the same way. They are also both meant for flexible surfaces. The major difference is in the appearance of the finished product. For a nice factory looking black surface I prefer DBC. It has a beautiful satin, low gloss finish when it dries and I have never had any issues with it running or showing any other blemishes.

Here's a couple pictures of it on my mirror. You can see how it retains the factory look of black plastic.
Ur mirrors are weird looking... Like weird shaped
__________________
Yeah, its got a HEMI!
stuckinwater is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-15-2012, 11:02 AM   #396
Jeeper
 
wwch99tj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Felton Delaware
Posts: 4,941
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckinwater

Ur mirrors are weird looking... Like weird shaped
Newer style than the boxy ones on your rig. I replaced mine with that style no more chipping paint.
wwch99tj is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-15-2012, 11:31 AM   #397
Jeeper
 
stuckinwater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwch99tj

Newer style than the boxy ones on your rig. I replaced mine with that style no more chipping paint.
Oh nice! Where'd ya get em?
__________________
Yeah, its got a HEMI!
stuckinwater is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-15-2012, 11:42 AM   #398
Jeeper
 
Dragonii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,554
Mine's an '06 model. I think those were used from 03-06.

Rock Auto has them for like $25 each.
RockAuto Auto Parts
Part # CH1320259
Part # CH1321259
Dragonii is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-15-2012, 02:10 PM   #399
Jeeper
 
The Boss Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 48
I just started the "tear down" Today. I'll prolly start the paint either Sunday or monday. Doing the red and black also. I'll post before and afters when it's done. I can't wait!!! It's all I can think about I'm at work right now and can't concentrate I just want to go to the store to get the stuff and start it!!! Haha
The Boss Man is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-15-2012, 02:18 PM   #400
Jeeper
 
Dragonii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boss Man View Post
I just started the "tear down" Today. I'll prolly start the paint either Sunday or monday. Doing the red and black also. I'll post before and afters when it's done. I can't wait!!! It's all I can think about I'm at work right now and can't concentrate I just want to go to the store to get the stuff and start it!!! Haha
Did you decide how to do the doors?

Best advice, very thin, very light coats.... don't get in a rush.
Dragonii is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-15-2012, 02:31 PM   #401
Jeeper
 
The Boss Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonii

Did you decide how to do the doors?

Best advice, very thin, very light coats.... don't get in a rush.
Yea I'm going to do the triangle black and the top where the uppers sit on black, the middle bump red and the bottom black. And thanks I'll keep that in mind when I start. What did you use for the center part where the head unit and A/C controls are. I know it's in the thread but I can't remember I don't want that to have the glossy look.
The Boss Man is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-15-2012, 02:41 PM   #402
Jeeper
 
Dragonii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boss Man View Post
Yea I'm going to do the triangle black and the top where the uppers sit on black, the middle bump red and the bottom black. And thanks I'll keep that in mind when I start. What did you use for the center part where the head unit and A/C controls are. I know it's in the thread but I can't remember I don't want that to have the glossy look.
Duplicolor Bumper Coating. I used it on the piece around the radio/ac, the instrument cluster and the center console between the seats. I left the main part of the dash the original stock black.

With the DBC all you have to do for prep is clean it good and wipe it with acetone or some other agent that will remove oils. That stuff has a great adhesion factor. You just have to have a clean surface.
Dragonii is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-15-2012, 03:32 PM   #403
Jeeper
 
wwch99tj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Felton Delaware
Posts: 4,941
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckinwater

Oh nice! Where'd ya get em?

Rockauto vvv like Dragonii said

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonii
Mine's an '06 model. I think those were used from 03-06.

Rock Auto has them for like $25 each.
RockAuto Auto Parts
Part # CH1320259
Part # CH1321259
wwch99tj is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-15-2012, 04:50 PM   #404
Jeeper
 
The Boss Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonii

Duplicolor Bumper Coating. I used it on the piece around the radio/ac, the instrument cluster and the center console between the seats. I left the main part of the dash the original stock black.

With the DBC all you have to do for prep is clean it good and wipe it with acetone or some other agent that will remove oils. That stuff has a great adhesion factor. You just have to have a clean surface.
Thanks! My dash is originally grey.
The Boss Man is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-15-2012, 04:51 PM   #405
Jeeper
 
The Boss Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 48
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3514623581.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	178.1 KB
ID:	132187

It wouldn't attach to the other reply. But I'm excited about it.
The Boss Man is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-17-2012, 09:03 PM   #406
Newb
 
KP-sTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 12
I took apart my dashboard and painted it. When I put it all back together everything matched up except for the panel underneath the steering wheel. The holes just don't match up and are off bad. HELP
KP-sTJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-17-2012, 09:08 PM   #407
Jeeper
 
Boo97wrangler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by KP-sTJ
I took apart my dashboard and painted it. When I put it all back together everything matched up except for the panel underneath the steering wheel. The holes just don't match up and are off bad. HELP
Did u put the metal piece back on first?
__________________
When experts panic, they call the fire dept.
Boo97wrangler is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-17-2012, 09:20 PM   #408
Jeeper
 
Boo97wrangler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by KP-sTJ
I took apart my dashboard and painted it. When I put it all back together everything matched up except for the panel underneath the steering wheel. The holes just don't match up and are off bad. HELP
The metal piece should go on with two screws (I think) then the plastic piece screws to the metal piece with two screws. The plastic piece has little tabs on the bottom that have to fit together also.
__________________
When experts panic, they call the fire dept.
Boo97wrangler is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-19-2012, 05:39 AM   #409
Newb
 
KP-sTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 12
I totally forgot the metal piece, it was hiding off to the side. Got it now. Thanks guys
KP-sTJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-19-2012, 07:18 AM   #410
Jeeper
 
wwch99tj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Felton Delaware
Posts: 4,941
Quote:
Originally Posted by KP-sTJ
I totally forgot the metal piece, it was hiding off to the side. Got it now. Thanks guys
Your not the only one its happened to a couple others on here. Glad you figured it out
wwch99tj is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-19-2012, 11:41 AM   #411
Jeeper
 
Boo97wrangler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by KP-sTJ
I totally forgot the metal piece, it was hiding off to the side. Got it now. Thanks guys
No problem! Glad you got it all figured out! I hate when the pieces hide from you! Lol
__________________
When experts panic, they call the fire dept.
Boo97wrangler is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-19-2012, 01:27 PM   #412
Newb
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 6
This is a great thread!
I've been wanting to customize my intereior for awhle. I have a tan interior in a black TJ. I'm not wild about the tan and I thought about replacing all the panels with black or grey ones. And after seeing this thread, I'm definitely gonna do some painting when I do replace the paneling. Although, I guess I could just paint them the color I want whithout replacing them. I like the idea of black with a green accent, but the Krylon greens were either too light or to dark for my taste. I'll have to look into the Duplicolor options.

Again, great thread!
I also need to paint my fender flares, would you recommend the same stuff as the mirrors for this application as well? They're simple OEM plastic flares. Thanks for your input.
__________________
Life's a journey... Jeep it.
JSmitty189 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-19-2012, 08:52 PM   #413
Jeeper
 
The Boss Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 48
Got it done!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4128362216.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	195.9 KB
ID:	133508



Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2894932698.jpg
Views:	406
Size:	144.0 KB
ID:	133510

The door just got touched up today so no new pics yet sorry.
The Boss Man is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-19-2012, 10:26 PM   #414
Jeeper
 
Boo97wrangler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boss Man
Got it done!

The door just got touched up today so no new pics yet sorry.
Looks great! Good job!
__________________
When experts panic, they call the fire dept.
Boo97wrangler is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-19-2012, 10:29 PM   #415
Jeeper
 
Boo97wrangler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSmitty189
This is a great thread!
I've been wanting to customize my intereior for awhle. I have a tan interior in a black TJ. I'm not wild about the tan and I thought about replacing all the panels with black or grey ones. And after seeing this thread, I'm definitely gonna do some painting when I do replace the paneling. Although, I guess I could just paint them the color I want whithout replacing them. I like the idea of black with a green accent, but the Krylon greens were either too light or to dark for my taste. I'll have to look into the Duplicolor options.

Again, great thread!
I also need to paint my fender flares, would you recommend the same stuff as the mirrors for this application as well? They're simple OEM plastic flares. Thanks for your input.
Ive heard that the bumper coating works well on flares. Haven't done it myself, but have heard of a few doing it. Also heard that bed liner works too. I think its all in the prep for anything. Prep good = lasts good. Hope this helped. Good luck and post pics! Let us know how it goes
__________________
When experts panic, they call the fire dept.
Boo97wrangler is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-19-2012, 11:03 PM   #416
Jeeper
 
The Boss Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSmitty189
This is a great thread!
I've been wanting to customize my intereior for awhle. I have a tan interior in a black TJ. I'm not wild about the tan and I thought about replacing all the panels with black or grey ones. And after seeing this thread, I'm definitely gonna do some painting when I do replace the paneling. Although, I guess I could just paint them the color I want whithout replacing them. I like the idea of black with a green accent, but the Krylon greens were either too light or to dark for my taste. I'll have to look into the Duplicolor options.

Again, great thread!
I also need to paint my fender flares, would you recommend the same stuff as the mirrors for this application as well? They're simple OEM plastic flares. Thanks for your input.
It just depends on what look you want (textured or smooth). I've used the fusion and it worked great but I wanted a textured look so I used the fusion as a primer and put bed liner on it I can't remember what brand I'll look in the morning but so far it's done good (about 3 months) good luck!! Post pictures!!
The Boss Man is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-19-2012, 11:45 PM   #417
Jeeper
 
The Boss Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo97wrangler

Looks great! Good job!
Thanks I was really happy with the way it turned out!
The Boss Man is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-20-2012, 12:48 AM   #418
Jeeper
 
Boo97wrangler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 359
Ok I know a few weeks ago I was talking about roll bar covers and what worked on them ( paint, die, etc..) well I ended up painting mine with the fabric/vinyl paint. Had spice colored covers and turned them black. Cant remember if I updated yall on how they are holding up, so if i have, you're going to hear it again. Lol. The paint worked great! It took a few coats on the spice ( not as many on the black sound bar) and after a few days I had to touch up a few spots, but so far so good! Ive had my top off most of the time and it still looks new! Hardly any fading. Ima guess its been about a month. So if anyone was thinking of changing the color of theirs, or just sprucing it up some, I recommend it!
__________________
When experts panic, they call the fire dept.
Boo97wrangler is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-20-2012, 12:46 PM   #419
Jeeper
 
LilYeller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: South Florida U.S.A
Posts: 2,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo97wrangler View Post
Ok I know a few weeks ago I was talking about roll bar covers and what worked on them ( paint, die, etc..) well I ended up painting mine with the fabric/vinyl paint. Had spice colored covers and turned them black. Cant remember if I updated yall on how they are holding up, so if i have, you're going to hear it again. Lol. The paint worked great! It took a few coats on the spice ( not as many on the black sound bar) and after a few days I had to touch up a few spots, but so far so good! Ive had my top off most of the time and it still looks new! Hardly any fading. Ima guess its been about a month. So if anyone was thinking of changing the color of theirs, or just sprucing it up some, I recommend it!
Another recommendation is this stuff:


I painted my neoprene hi-lift cover and its holding up great so far. Its not bleeding cause I would see it running down my hood. So I would like to see someone try it on their neoprene seats if you have crappy faded old ones. Also useful for any fabric including rollbar covers. its not cheap but its some of the best stuff out there and its made for that application.
__________________

Random Guy: "Is there anywhere that thing cant go?"
Me: "Yea, past a gas station..."

Build thread: My Lil' Yeller Jeep, Paracord Grab handles ~ how to make your own
Keep on Jeepin on!
LilYeller is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-20-2012, 02:25 PM   #420
Jeeper
 
Dragonii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boss Man View Post
Got it done!

Attachment 133508



Attachment 133510

The door just got touched up today so no new pics yet sorry.
Nice, I like how it came out.

Man, I need some half doors.

Dragonii is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:40 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC