TJ Bed Mat Mod - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 07-20-2013, 05:04 PM   #1
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
freakengine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 43
Images: 3
TJ Bed Mat Mod

I removed the rear seat and carpet from my 98 TJ and wanted a thick rubber mat that covered the area. You'd think that'd be easy to find and reasonably priced but it wasn't to be. Most of the mats made to fit the TJ didn't go up to the edge of the dropoff so that they wouldn't interfere with the flipped up seat. Those that did cover the area were crazy expensive. So I came up with my own.

Lowes had a 3'x5' recycled rubber floor mat that fit the bill, and it was under $25 with tax. (Shop Blue Hawk 36-in x 60-in Black Recycled Rubber Rectangular Door Mat at Lowes.com) I just trimmed down one side to make the whole thing 36"x35" and then laid it in the back and marked the tie down locations with a grease pencil. A few more minutes with a razor cutter and I had this:



It's not perfect yet - it's not exactly 36" along the entire width so there are some areas that don't lie flat. I'm going to take it back out and trim the left and right sides slightly to fix that. But for the cost and the minimal time invested, it's awesome. The rubber smell even went away within a week!

freakengine is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-20-2013, 05:13 PM   #2
zombie & ninja slayer

WF Supporting Member
 
Redsand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: southern illinois, no where near chicago (allendale)
Posts: 2,270
Looks good

sent via smoke signal

__________________

"It puts the lotion on its skin or it gets the hose again"
Redsand is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-20-2013, 05:38 PM   #3
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Water Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Roseville, CA
Posts: 5,243
Images: 11
Nice...
__________________
Dennis
Water Dog is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-20-2013, 05:40 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 116
Great idea!
vanillathrilla is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-20-2013, 07:18 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
B15philly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Coventry CT
Posts: 58
Good work I like it
B15philly is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-20-2013, 08:18 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
Duckmasterlack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Shelbyville, KY
Posts: 61
Red face

I was having problems with my 2 dogs in the back of my 99 with the carpet out and didn't want to drop an astronomical amount of cash on cheaply made plastic mat.

So I did something similar by using 1/4" stall matting. The matting is used to line horse stalls an is quite durable. You can find it at most large farm supply stores. Typically it will be in large 4' wide rolls and sold by the foot. Around my part it goes for around 5 bucks a foot off the 4' wide roll. Got 3'x4' piece for under 20 bucks. The back of my 99 is almost spot on 3'x3'. With the left overs I made some mats for behind the front seats.

I never thought about looking for a floor mat looks good.
Duckmasterlack is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-24-2013, 01:46 PM   #7
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
freakengine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 43
Images: 3
Thanks, all. I looked into the stall mats, Duck. Is the 3x4 piece you got very heavy? I know some of them are. The rubber mat I got is pretty solid but only weighs a couple of pounds. I tried finding a stall mat locally but hit a dead end despite living less than five miles from the equestrian center in Burbank.
freakengine is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-24-2013, 01:56 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
SuperTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Waleska GA
Posts: 2,156
Nice work!
SuperTJ is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-24-2013, 02:02 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
Duckmasterlack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Shelbyville, KY
Posts: 61
I was in lowes and looked at the mat you used and I would have to say it is at least half the weight of the stall matting. The only down side to using the stall matting is that I used about 4 blades in my utility knife cutting all the holes for the tied own loops and around the seat brackets.
Duckmasterlack is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-24-2013, 03:34 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
oIIIIIIo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 676
Great idea!
__________________
2000 TJ, I6, Auto
oIIIIIIo is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-24-2013, 09:31 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
Duckmasterlack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Shelbyville, KY
Posts: 61
Freak here is a picture of the stall matting that I used. Sorry for the bad photography I was holding my soft top up with one hand and trying to take a picture with the other. I forgot to mention most farm supply stores keep it in the back and you have to ask for it like getting a sack of sweet feed.

Duckmasterlack is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-24-2013, 09:35 PM   #12
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
dabolt55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Clinton, Tn.
Posts: 11,562
Images: 50
Both great ideas,
__________________
Nothing to it but to do it.
SIMPLE AS THAT.

'04 TJ RUBICON, 4.0l auto
2"BDS coils, Rubicon express shocks, 33/12.50/15 Dick Cepek Mud Country tires yellowed out, on Black steel D's.
dabolt55 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-24-2013, 10:09 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
BigDeaner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Boston
Posts: 592
The rubber mats they use on gym floors work great, as does carpet tile (not weather resistant obviously).
__________________
'99 TJ Chili Pepper Red SOLD
'13 JKU Rubicon Billet SOLD
BigDeaner is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-29-2013, 09:43 PM   #14
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
freakengine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 43
Images: 3
Very cool, Duck. I think either one would work great.
freakengine is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-30-2013, 08:01 AM   #15
Jeeper
 
Verf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Western Massachusetts
Posts: 467
Both are great ideas! Freak, I just bought that exact carpet/rug at Costco for $20 to use for camping (rug in front of tent, I'm anal about a clean interior tent). Never thought about using it as the rear carpet in the Jeep!

With mine being a LJ, I can use that thing double duty. Jeep liner to get there, rug/tent protector once on site. Thanks for saving me some scratch!
__________________
'14 Willy's Edition Unlimited in Anvil
'06 Rubi Unlimited, bone stock...for now. 3" Zone lift
'94 Mitsu VR4, highly modified twin turbo
'71 Stingray convertible, number matching & mint
RetiredUSMilitary
"I'd rather laugh with the sinners, than cry with the saints..."
Verf is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-30-2013, 08:32 AM   #16
Jeeper
 
homebrwd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ashburn, VA
Posts: 1,085
Hey Duckmaster, I have sheet of stall mat waiting for this mod, whats the best way you found to cut it though?
homebrwd is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-30-2013, 12:58 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
Duckmasterlack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Shelbyville, KY
Posts: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrwd View Post
Hey Duckmaster, I have sheet of stall mat waiting for this mod, whats the best way you found to cut it though?
I used a heavy duty utility knife but make sure you have a new pack of blades as you will go thru them quick.

When i got my sheet it wasn't exactly the correct length so I measured it out and used a 4' level as a straight edge and made a score line with the knife. Bend the mat back from the score line this will open up the cut you just made and allow you to keep that straight and continuos cut. I then measured out all the brackets for the seat that I would need to trim around. Using a chalk line I marked out where I would need to cut and used the level as a straight edge again to make my initial cut. Repeated the same process as before. The real pain in the rear was the tied own loops. I wound up laying the mat down and cutting around the loops. This is where you will wear the blades out. It will take several passes to cut all the way thru.

If I had to do it all over I would have marked the tie down loops and using a 1/2" drill bit to drill holes at the either end of the loop and cut the remaining material out.
Duckmasterlack is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-30-2013, 01:37 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
DBoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: The Big D
Posts: 1,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckmasterlack View Post
I used a heavy duty utility knife but make sure you have a new pack of blades as you will go thru them quick.

When i got my sheet it wasn't exactly the correct length so I measured it out and used a 4' level as a straight edge and made a score line with the knife. Bend the mat back from the score line this will open up the cut you just made and allow you to keep that straight and continuos cut. I then measured out all the brackets for the seat that I would need to trim around. Using a chalk line I marked out where I would need to cut and used the level as a straight edge again to make my initial cut. Repeated the same process as before. The real pain in the rear was the tied own loops. I wound up laying the mat down and cutting around the loops. This is where you will wear the blades out. It will take several passes to cut all the way thru.

If I had to do it all over I would have marked the tie down loops and using a 1/2" drill bit to drill holes at the either end of the loop and cut the remaining material out.
my approach was pretty similar, except I took the carpet out of the back and used it as a template to cut the outline of the mat. I then laid the mat in the back and marked where the interior footman loops, etc were with a silver marker and used the razor knife to make a cut.. mine isnt neat and pretty but cutting that horse stall mat wasnt that easy either.
DBoat is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-30-2013, 01:40 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBoat View Post
my approach was pretty similar, except I took the carpet out of the back and used it as a template to cut the outline of the mat. I then laid the mat in the back and marked where the interior footman loops, etc were with a silver marker and used the razor knife to make a cut.. mine isnt neat and pretty but cutting that horse stall mat wasnt that easy either.
Instead of cutting, why not use a router (if available)?
RevCo666 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-30-2013, 01:52 PM   #20
Jeeper
 
DBoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: The Big D
Posts: 1,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevCo666 View Post
Instead of cutting, why not use a router (if available)?
I do have one but it isnt small.
Maybe a multitool or dremel might be a better way to do it. while mine doesnt look bad, it doesnt look like it was done by a CNC machine either. but its great to have back there.
I should note that I kept the back seat tracks in place (at least for now) however, I have the back seat in the attic. So my mat is cut around the seat track. I did take the left over pieces and lay them over the seat tracks and also use them on the ground when I have to get down there to keep my pants and knees pristine clean
DBoat is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-30-2013, 02:13 PM   #21
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBoat View Post
I do have one but it isnt small.
Maybe a multitool or dremel might be a better way to do it. while mine doesnt look bad, it doesnt look like it was done by a CNC machine either. but its great to have back there.
I should note that I kept the back seat tracks in place (at least for now) however, I have the back seat in the attic. So my mat is cut around the seat track. I did take the left over pieces and lay them over the seat tracks and also use them on the ground when I have to get down there to keep my pants and knees pristine clean
I think I used the wrong terminology, dremel was what I had in mind I don't use my back seat but when I first got my jeep last summer, I placed a mat behind over my carpet but there is no holes for those footman loops (those rectangular loops in the back). So I may pull it out and cut sections out so its flush. (My mat is about 3/8th thick so in my case I can just cut).
RevCo666 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-30-2013, 02:47 PM   #22
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,631
Well, I just finished doing some last second cuts since this thread inspired me to go out and do it It was the two pieces that pushed up the mat so it wouldn't be flush towards the bottom, rear of the picture. Kinda annoyed me for abit, and now I can use those sections for cargo net to tie down properly... Tho I didn't need one that reach all the way as my storage lock box takes up some room obviously but overall it fits like a glove. Other then the two sections I cut out, no other cutting was needed... Can't get any closer then that lol
RevCo666 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-30-2013, 06:56 PM   #23
Jeeper
 
DBoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: The Big D
Posts: 1,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevCo666 View Post
Well, I just finished doing some last second cuts since this thread inspired me to go out and do it It was the two pieces that pushed up the mat so it wouldn't be flush towards the bottom, rear of the picture. Kinda annoyed me for abit, and now I can use those sections for cargo net to tie down properly... Tho I didn't need one that reach all the way as my storage lock box takes up some room obviously but overall it fits like a glove. Other then the two sections I cut out, no other cutting was needed... Can't get any closer then that lol
Nice...
DBoat is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-30-2013, 08:14 PM   #24
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBoat View Post
Nice...
Meh it works but thanks
RevCo666 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-30-2013, 10:58 PM   #25
Jeeper
 
Kevin063's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Atlanta, Ga
Posts: 327
I really like this idea. Seems a lot easier than bed lining or having to constantly clean the carpeting.

And cheaper!!

__________________
'97 TJ, 4cyl. 3" JK "take-off" lift with 2" spacers up front, Bridgestone Dueler 255/75 R18 take offs.

I basically drive a Jeep TJK
Kevin063 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:40 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC