TJ Dash Lights Mod. Easy and Cheap! - Page 37 - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 03-27-2013, 09:12 PM   #1081
Jeeper
 
OhSixTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,074
I'm thinking of going with regular ol' white but in afraid it may be too bright. Can anyone who has done white comment?

OhSixTJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-27-2013, 09:53 PM   #1082
Jeeper
 
blueskiesbill's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 724
Quote:
Originally Posted by viperx6x9x View Post

Why not just do green and have St. Patty's day year round?
Was pretty much making a joke, although if doable could be pretty sweet. I will be going all green to match the jeep! (02 Sahara green)

__________________
'when people look like ants -- Pull. when the ants look like people -- too late'

'if at first you do not succeed, skydiving is not for you'
blueskiesbill is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-27-2013, 10:09 PM   #1083
Jeeper
 
viperx6x9x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Norfolk Va.
Posts: 1,073
I figured that, I just really like St. Patty's day. LOL. Virginia has open container laws, and the parade in my city is the one event of the year the cops won't bother you about it.

I think somewhere in this thread somebody did half red half green. It was kinda cool but the fade over in the middle looked kinda strange.
__________________
War does not determine who is right, it determines who is left.
viperx6x9x is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-27-2013, 11:21 PM   #1084
Jeeper
 
blueskiesbill's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 724
Quote:
Originally Posted by viperx6x9x View Post
I figured that, I just really like St. Patty's day. LOL. Virginia has open container laws, and the parade in my city is the one event of the year the cops won't bother you about it.

I think somewhere in this thread somebody did half red half green. It was kinda cool but the fade over in the middle looked kinda strange.
Yea, considering white would be in the middle it would probably come out as orange(actually amber) and green because the white would just bleed the two colors.

I am def stoked to do the green all the way around though. I was trying to figure out an actual purposeful dome light replacement considering I would be making all the lights green.

My thought so far is one of those led strips from autozone/pep boys in bright white all the way across the top in between the windshield and the header. Thoughts? Anyone done this or anything else to fix the no actual dome light once you put the colored led in?
__________________
'when people look like ants -- Pull. when the ants look like people -- too late'

'if at first you do not succeed, skydiving is not for you'
blueskiesbill is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-28-2013, 12:03 AM   #1085
Jeeper
 
viperx6x9x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Norfolk Va.
Posts: 1,073
I think that vled site had a replacement for that. Maybe i am mixing my sites up though. but it basicaly a flat panel with a bunch of led's on it. Only came in white though i think.
__________________
War does not determine who is right, it determines who is left.
viperx6x9x is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-28-2013, 12:08 AM   #1086
Jeeper
 
viperx6x9x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Norfolk Va.
Posts: 1,073
30 High Power LED Rectangle PCB Lamp w/ Festoon Base | LED Lights for Cars | 12v | Super Bright LEDs

my bad, wrong site, but this little guy should light up the interior well if you can do without colors.
__________________
War does not determine who is right, it determines who is left.
viperx6x9x is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-30-2013, 01:14 PM   #1087
Jeeper
 
miked12479's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Holt, MI
Posts: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskiesbill View Post
Yea, considering white would be in the middle it would probably come out as orange(actually amber) and green because the white would just bleed the two colors.

I am def stoked to do the green all the way around though. I was trying to figure out an actual purposeful dome light replacement considering I would be making all the lights green.

My thought so far is one of those led strips from autozone/pep boys in bright white all the way across the top in between the windshield and the header. Thoughts? Anyone done this or anything else to fix the no actual dome light once you put the colored led in?
I've had the green in the speaker pod lights for over a week now and haven't had a need for anything brighter.
miked12479 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-30-2013, 06:33 PM   #1088
Jeeper
 
wwch99tj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Felton Delaware
Posts: 4,694
Put in the replacement led bulb superbrightleds sent me in my cluster.... it doesn't match for nothing
wwch99tj is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-30-2013, 07:03 PM   #1089
Jeeper
 
OhSixTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwch99tj View Post
Put in the replacement led bulb superbrightleds sent me in my cluster.... it doesn't match for nothing
Can't even tell...
OhSixTJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-30-2013, 08:15 PM   #1090
Jeeper
 
wwch99tj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Felton Delaware
Posts: 4,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhSixTJ View Post

Can't even tell...
You can't tell the fuel gauge is purple and the rest are blue?
wwch99tj is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-30-2013, 08:26 PM   #1091
Jeeper
 
OhSixTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwch99tj View Post

You can't tell the fuel gauge is purple and the rest are blue?
Not in the pic. It looks a tad bit deeper blue than the rest, but maybe it's more noticeable in person.
OhSixTJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-31-2013, 12:03 PM   #1092
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwch99tj View Post
You can't tell the fuel gauge is purple and the rest are blue?
i can but only b/c you pointed it out..
kyle32 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-02-2013, 09:34 PM   #1093
Jeeper
 
DetroitRodeo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 374
Installed the blue lights in my dash, they kind of have a purplish tint to them. They do not match the one in my auto shift at all. Anyone encountered this issue with the blues being a bit purple? Judging by some of the pics on here, seems like I may have gotten robbed? I am a stickler for details, so not having the blues match is a no go for me. May try switching to red...
DetroitRodeo is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-02-2013, 09:53 PM   #1094
Jeeper
 
InvisiblePants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 517
Images: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwch99tj View Post
You can't tell the fuel gauge is purple and the rest are blue?
If you hadn't pounted it out i would not have noticed either.

Blue is too hard on my eyes at night, so i will be doing red.

Quick question but is the bulb inserted correctly? If you reverse the polarity it will not shine the same brightness. Could be your problem.
InvisiblePants is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-02-2013, 09:56 PM   #1095
Newb
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Carrollton, TX
Posts: 7
One more thing to add to my to do list
WiseAcre is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-03-2013, 06:20 AM   #1096
Jeeper
 
wwch99tj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Felton Delaware
Posts: 4,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitRodeo View Post
Installed the blue lights in my dash, they kind of have a purplish tint to them. They do not match the one in my auto shift at all. Anyone encountered this issue with the blues being a bit purple? Judging by some of the pics on here, seems like I may have gotten robbed? I am a stickler for details, so not having the blues match is a no go for me. May try switching to red...
Just had the same problem with a replacement bulb they sent me, the original bulbs are like a medium blue and the new 1 is damn near purple (fuel gauge)
.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisiblePants View Post

If you hadn't pounted it out i would not have noticed either.

Blue is too hard on my eyes at night, so i will be doing red.

Quick question but is the bulb inserted correctly? If you reverse the polarity it will not shine the same brightness. Could be your problem.
Yes, if you install the bulb backwards it will not light at all.
wwch99tj is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-03-2013, 11:55 PM   #1097
05 TJ

WF Supporting Member
 
K9HDLR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: SoCal
Posts: 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitRodeo View Post
Installed the blue lights in my dash, they kind of have a purplish tint to them. They do not match the one in my auto shift at all. Anyone encountered this issue with the blues being a bit purple? Judging by some of the pics on here, seems like I may have gotten robbed? I am a stickler for details, so not having the blues match is a no go for me. May try switching to red...
I had one or two that were purple and let superbrightled know and they sent replacements right out
__________________
My partner Samson says do I get to go?
K9HDLR is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-04-2013, 05:10 AM   #1098
Jeeper
 
Neil F.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Marlton, NJ
Posts: 4,928
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitRodeo View Post
Installed the blue lights in my dash, they kind of have a purplish tint to them. They do not match the one in my auto shift at all. Anyone encountered this issue with the blues being a bit purple? Judging by some of the pics on here, seems like I may have gotten robbed? I am a stickler for details, so not having the blues match is a no go for me. May try switching to red...
The automatic shifter has an aqua colored sheet under the lettere/numbers that changes the color I took the shifter plate out and was able to grab the sheet with needle nose pliers and tear it out in a few pieces. The only note is the numbers are now clear. I have a multi (4) led 194 bulb and the light shining straight up was very bright. I dabbed a little black paint on the tops of the leds.
__________________
2003 TJ, 33" BFG AT, 2" BL, 2" BDS spring lift, Truck Lite headlights, Homemade sunrider top.
Neil F. is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-04-2013, 01:36 PM   #1099
Jeeper
 
chrislewis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: West Lafayette, Indiana
Posts: 101
Purple is installed, will be checking it out tonight!
__________________
'97 TJ "Earl"- i6, 5 speed, Runk steel bumpers front and back, CB. Everything else, stock
chrislewis is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-05-2013, 12:39 PM   #1100
Jeeper
 
DetroitRodeo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil F. View Post

The automatic shifter has an aqua colored sheet under the lettere/numbers that changes the color I took the shifter plate out and was able to grab the sheet with needle nose pliers and tear it out in a few pieces. The only note is the numbers are now clear. I have a multi (4) led 194 bulb and the light shining straight up was very bright. I dabbed a little black paint on the tops of the leds.
My shifter is blue, and looks nice. It's the dash that looks purple. Here is what I found out, tore the dash out again and the LEDs are a true blue (I took off the gage face). The back of the gage face has some sort of coating on it, working on it now with some paint thinner...will post pics soon, so those of you with later model TJ's, stay tuned. May have a way of making our LEDs shine through in the colors/clarity we expected. The older model TJ's don't seem to have this problem judging by the pics in this thread.
DetroitRodeo is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-05-2013, 06:14 PM   #1101
Jeeper
 
Neil F.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Marlton, NJ
Posts: 4,928
Images: 1
Yes the panel has a greenish tint molded in the plastic. In my 0,3 blue Leds are blue as can be. There are plenty of pictures of 03+ with blue Leds.
__________________
2003 TJ, 33" BFG AT, 2" BL, 2" BDS spring lift, Truck Lite headlights, Homemade sunrider top.
Neil F. is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-05-2013, 07:24 PM   #1102
Jeeper
 
DetroitRodeo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 374
1st photo: shows what I was removing with paint thinner (look towards the top of the face plate and you can see the difference from the area I cleaned with thinner) took some elbow grease but it comes off.
2nd photo: left side of face plate cleaned, right side untouched. Shows how much more light comes through once layer is removed.
3rd photo: lights after face plate was modded and reinstalled, without plastic shield. True blue with no purple (much more even and blue than my phone camera picked up). Happy camper!

Anyway, hope that helps any other perfectionists out there!
DetroitRodeo is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-05-2013, 10:24 PM   #1103
Jeeper
 
DBoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: The Big D
Posts: 1,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitRodeo View Post
1st photo: shows what I was removing with paint thinner (look towards the top of the face plate and you can see the difference from the area I cleaned with thinner) took some elbow grease but it comes off.
2nd photo: left side of face plate cleaned, right side untouched. Shows how much more light comes through once layer is removed.
3rd photo: lights after face plate was modded and reinstalled, without plastic shield. True blue with no purple (much more even and blue than my phone camera picked up). Happy camper!

Anyway, hope that helps any other perfectionists out there!
Sweet!
DBoat is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-05-2013, 10:45 PM   #1104
Jeeper
 
reicharte13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 120
Has anyone done like a multi color one, is it possible? Like have the rpm and speed red and have like gas, temp, oil etc blue?
reicharte13 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-05-2013, 10:54 PM   #1105
Jeeper
 
InvisiblePants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 517
Images: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by reicharte13 View Post
Has anyone done like a multi color one, is it possible? Like have the rpm and speed red and have like gas, temp, oil etc blue?
You have to dig thru the thread to find the pic, or maybe someone will post it again. The colors will blend.
InvisiblePants is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-05-2013, 11:25 PM   #1106
Jeeper
 
viperx6x9x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Norfolk Va.
Posts: 1,073
They will blend but it is hard to get the effect your talking about. There is not a separate bulb per gauge. Rather 5 bulbs dispersed throughout the cluster.

BTW detroit, that last pic looks like something out of TRON. I like it.
__________________
War does not determine who is right, it determines who is left.
viperx6x9x is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-06-2013, 12:15 AM   #1107
Jeeper
 
blueskiesbill's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 724
What's going on with the RPM needle?
__________________
'when people look like ants -- Pull. when the ants look like people -- too late'

'if at first you do not succeed, skydiving is not for you'
blueskiesbill is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-06-2013, 06:33 AM   #1108
Jeeper
 
Wh33lin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitRodeo View Post
1st photo: shows what I was removing with paint thinner (look towards the top of the face plate and you can see the difference from the area I cleaned with thinner) took some elbow grease but it comes off.
2nd photo: left side of face plate cleaned, right side untouched. Shows how much more light comes through once layer is removed.
3rd photo: lights after face plate was modded and reinstalled, without plastic shield. True blue with no purple (much more even and blue than my phone camera picked up). Happy camper!

Anyway, hope that helps any other perfectionists out there!
nice job. been thinking bout just doing the needles with a razor but this is much better. after finishing w the exhaust manifold n a few other things I'm coming back to this! getting tired of the purple tint myself.
Wh33lin is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-06-2013, 08:23 AM   #1109
Jeeper
 
reicharte13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by viperx6x9x View Post
They will blend but it is hard to get the effect your talking about. There is not a separate bulb per gauge. Rather 5 bulbs dispersed throughout the cluster.

BTW detroit, that last pic looks like something out of TRON. I like it.
Oh ok thank u
reicharte13 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-06-2013, 08:34 AM   #1110
Jeeper
 
DetroitRodeo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskiesbill View Post
What's going on with the RPM needle?
I didn't have my needles set back when I took the pic all fixed now.

DetroitRodeo is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cheap, Easy Mod for the Doors Off Guys (and Gals) 05GT-O.C.D. TJ General Discussion Forum 31 09-22-2013 03:53 PM
honestly cheap and easy. surf-jeep Tires & Wheels 10 04-21-2011 07:06 PM
Cheap fog lights, worth my time? Mr_RPM TJ General Discussion Forum 12 02-09-2011 11:38 PM
Cheap ($17.89) easy mod..... Bobthegod TJ General Discussion Forum 7 05-04-2010 09:38 PM
Cheap and Easy Stereo Install kirkf Communications and Electronics 0 08-24-2009 09:43 AM


logo carid shop wrangler parts carid fender flares custom wheels store avs deflectors at carid
» Rates
Get low rates on auto insurance in Canada!

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:03 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC