Tj sound system - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 06-11-2013, 04:43 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
Mindlesschunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Kansas City Missouri
Posts: 110
Tj sound system

So I just bought an 05 wrangler Rocky Mountain edition, and as many of you probably have found out, that stock 6.5" sub in the center console had already been blown. I'm replacing it with a better sub, but also want to put a 10" and a small amp somewhere. But I don't want to sacrifice space.. Because there's already like.. No storage space. Anyone do anything crazy? Like mount a sub to their roll bar? Or under the seat? Looking for ideas here. My sound system sucks as of right now.. Even with upgraded speakers in every stock location

Mindlesschunk is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-11-2013, 05:16 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 40
Upgrading to a Tuffy center console will let you fit an 8" in the center console. No loss of space and more secure storage in one!

__________________
I like to party!

'97 TJ, lots of little modifications, 31's on stock axles now. Destined for 1-tons and 38's on a custom 4-link.
DragonWarrior is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-11-2013, 05:17 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Southern Vermont
Posts: 17
Only thing I can think of is to trade for a grand Cherokee. ...then you can put like 4 12"s in it. If you can do that and blow out the doors and windshield itll be like having your tj again........kind of
__________________
Im ready,... lets go get stuck!
Rottie Crawler VT is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-11-2013, 05:46 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
Mindlesschunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Kansas City Missouri
Posts: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonWarrior View Post
Upgrading to a Tuffy center console will let you fit an 8" in the center console. No loss of space and more secure storage in one!
Awesome! Didnt even know such thing existed. Thanks a ton
Mindlesschunk is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-11-2013, 07:32 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
Harvctry27's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: South Shore
Posts: 86
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-822274182.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	260421

I just put these in the other day fits perfectly in the trunk just got to put seat back in to completely check but it should fit if I eye balled it correctly haha
Harvctry27 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-11-2013, 07:34 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
brendend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: colorado springs
Posts: 847
Images: 1
Do a search I know where's a write up on putting a 12" in your rear seat
brendend is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-11-2013, 07:48 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
Mindlesschunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Kansas City Missouri
Posts: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvctry27 View Post

I just put these in the other day fits perfectly in the trunk just got to put seat back in to completely check but it should fit if I eye balled it correctly haha
Dang that's gonna sound good lol. But no leg room anymore
Mindlesschunk is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-11-2013, 07:56 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
Cameron138's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 427
I put a 12 in the other day, my tj booms. All you need to do is buy a "slim fit box. If you'd like I can put up a link, but here's a picture of where I put it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-939132616.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	142.3 KB
ID:	260422   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2755523523.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	152.0 KB
ID:	260423  

Cameron138 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-11-2013, 08:11 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
Harvctry27's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: South Shore
Posts: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindlesschunk View Post

Dang that's gonna sound good lol. But no leg room anymore
No actually it'll work great because the back seat can go right infront of it but not planning on putting it back in
Harvctry27 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-11-2013, 08:46 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
Mindlesschunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Kansas City Missouri
Posts: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron138 View Post
I put a 12 in the other day, my tj booms. All you need to do is buy a "slim fit box. If you'd like I can put up a link, but here's a picture of where I put it
Yeah that's probably what I'll do.. It'll take up all the "trunk space" but oh we'll. ill try to find a really small box and put it in one of the corners and mount the amp on the back of the box? Looks like you've got a pretty long box?
Mindlesschunk is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-11-2013, 08:49 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
Mindlesschunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Kansas City Missouri
Posts: 110
Also, any recommendation on head units? Wanna somehow put a double din in there.. So I can get a 7" screen. Don't really like the pop outs
Mindlesschunk is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-11-2013, 10:30 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
Cameron138's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindlesschunk View Post
Also, any recommendation on head units? Wanna somehow put a double din in there.. So I can get a 7" screen. Don't really like the pop outs
Subwoofers required air space. So you've either gotta have a tall box or a wide box, and the wide one fits in my trunk. I mean what do you use that tiny trunk for any way?
Cameron138 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-11-2013, 11:49 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindlesschunk View Post
Also, any recommendation on head units? Wanna somehow put a double din in there.. So I can get a 7" screen. Don't really like the pop outs
Double din will take some customization. As far as I know no one makes a kit.

As for your original question, I mounted my amp inside of my center console. This was primarily for waterproofing and keeping it hidden a bit, but saved some space too.

Amp in center console. - JeepForum.com
BEETROOT is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-12-2013, 12:01 AM   #14
Jeeper
 
Mindlesschunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Kansas City Missouri
Posts: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEETROOT View Post

Double din will take some customization. As far as I know no one makes a kit.

As for your original question, I mounted my amp inside of my center console. This was primarily for waterproofing and keeping it hidden a bit, but saved some space too.

Amp in center console. - JeepForum.com
Great idea.. Maybe ill forget about replacing the center console sub and use that space to put an amp.. I doubt there's room for both the sub and amp In there. Which is fine. Then I guess ill stick a small box with a 10" in the trunk
Mindlesschunk is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-12-2013, 01:32 AM   #15
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
jeepwayoflife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: California/Montana
Posts: 3,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindlesschunk View Post

Great idea.. Maybe ill forget about replacing the center console sub and use that space to put an amp.. I doubt there's room for both the sub and amp In there. Which is fine. Then I guess ill stick a small box with a 10" in the trunk
I went the other way around and put a 6.5" kicker sub in the center console and an amp mounted inside the insta-trunk. Keeps the sub safe and protected from weather. Balances out my music really well. A 10" will actually give you some bass
__________________
--------------------------------------------------------
jeepwayoflife is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-12-2013, 05:32 AM   #16
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 314
I have a powered 8" subwoofer mounted discretely under the drivers seat. Takes up no storage space, the dog cant step on it and it hits pretty hard. Not hard enough to hear me coming down the block but enough that any passenger in my car knows I have a nice system.
I also replaced my sound bar speakers with Boston 6.5" and my dash speakers with Pioneer 5.25". My head unit is a Pioneer and my whole system ran me just over $400 at Crutchfield.
Crutchfield is more expensive than Amazon. However Crutchfield has already sent me one set of repacement and upgraded front speakers, all the free wiring and installation equipment for free. The wiring kit was no garbage either. It was Scosche and supposedly Scocshe is one of the better wiring kits out there.

Here is the sub, looks like they discontinued it
Sound Ordnance B-8PTD 125-watt compact powered subwoofer at Crutchfield.com
BurlySoldier is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-12-2013, 08:25 AM   #17
Jeeper
 
SurfKaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: St. Augustine FL
Posts: 1,425
I like what this guy did with his amp.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/amp-...cs-243727.html
SurfKaster is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-12-2013, 08:46 AM   #18
Jeeper
 
Mindlesschunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Kansas City Missouri
Posts: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurlySoldier View Post
I have a powered 8" subwoofer mounted discretely under the drivers seat. Takes up no storage space, the dog cant step on it and it hits pretty hard. Not hard enough to hear me coming down the block but enough that any passenger in my car knows I have a nice system.
I also replaced my sound bar speakers with Boston 6.5" and my dash speakers with Pioneer 5.25". My head unit is a Pioneer and my whole system ran me just over $400 at Crutchfield.
Crutchfield is more expensive than Amazon. However Crutchfield has already sent me one set of repacement and upgraded front speakers, all the free wiring and installation equipment for free. The wiring kit was no garbage either. It was Scosche and supposedly Scocshe is one of the better wiring kits out there.

Here is the sub, looks like they discontinued it
Sound Ordnance B-8PTD 125-watt compact powered subwoofer at Crutchfield.com
So, when you have this mounted under the seat, can you still lift the seat up and let the passenger in the back without smashing the sub/amp?
Mindlesschunk is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-12-2013, 08:58 AM   #19
Jeeper
 
Neil F.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Marlton, NJ
Posts: 5,192
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurlySoldier View Post
Where does it say discontinued? It's in stock. I have the Sound Ordinance in my Mustang and a Kenwood SW10 under the rear seat of the Jeep, both driven by the same model head unit. I like the Sound Ordinance better.
__________________
2003 TJ, 33" BFG AT, 2" BL, 2" BDS spring lift, Truck Lite headlights, Homemade sunrider top.
Neil F. is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-12-2013, 09:19 AM   #20
Jeeper
 
Mindlesschunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Kansas City Missouri
Posts: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil F. View Post

Where does it say discontinued? It's in stock. I have the Sound Ordinance in my Mustang and a Kenwood SW10 under the rear seat of the Jeep, both driven by the same model head unit. I like the Sound Ordinance better.
Sound ordinance seems like a great place to start.. I may go with one of those, just because I'm looking to save space.. And Don't want over the top bass. Seems like industrial Velcro should do the trick mounting it under the seat
Mindlesschunk is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-12-2013, 09:25 AM   #21
Newb
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 11
I would trade for a grand Cherokee.
idahoguy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-12-2013, 09:37 AM   #22
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Wetumpka Al
Posts: 26
It my crx i have a JL W0 6 inch sub mounting in a fiberglass box inside the small spare tire. Sounds pretty well and dosent take up a lot of space or power.
Quadrcr161 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-17-2013, 10:03 AM   #23
Jeeper
 
Double_a914's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Gray, TN
Posts: 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurlySoldier View Post
I have a powered 8" subwoofer mounted discretely under the drivers seat. Takes up no storage space, the dog cant step on it and it hits pretty hard. Not hard enough to hear me coming down the block but enough that any passenger in my car knows I have a nice system.
I also replaced my sound bar speakers with Boston 6.5" and my dash speakers with Pioneer 5.25". My head unit is a Pioneer and my whole system ran me just over $400 at Crutchfield.
Crutchfield is more expensive than Amazon. However Crutchfield has already sent me one set of repacement and upgraded front speakers, all the free wiring and installation equipment for free. The wiring kit was no garbage either. It was Scosche and supposedly Scocshe is one of the better wiring kits out there.

Here is the sub, looks like they discontinued it
Sound Ordnance B-8PTD 125-watt compact powered subwoofer at Crutchfield.com
I reaaaally hope you're lying when you say they discontinued it. I've had my eye on this sub for a year now but haven't had $200 fall in my lap. As for placement, I had planned on under the rear bench on some sort of like plastic lid to keep water off it. I've heard that while you can def feel it under the drivers seat, the butt thumping gets real old real quick. I've got a sony head unit (nothing fancy) and for speakers I plan on polk db series 6.5 inch 2 way coaxials for the soundbar and polk 5.25 components in the dash with nalins brackets. I'm thinking sub first since it'll be easy and I have no bass, at all, which I reaaaally want. Then dash, since the stock speakers may as well not even be there, and then the soundbar. But before I drop $ on new speakers for the sound pods, I need to decide if I would prefer to upgrade to a 6 speaker bar.
__________________
- Aaron
Double_a914 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-17-2013, 01:33 PM   #24
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double_a914 View Post
I reaaaally hope you're lying when you say they discontinued it. I've had my eye on this sub for a year now but haven't had $200 fall in my lap. As for placement, I had planned on under the rear bench on some sort of like plastic lid to keep water off it. I've heard that while you can def feel it under the drivers seat, the butt thumping gets real old real quick. I've got a sony head unit (nothing fancy) and for speakers I plan on polk db series 6.5 inch 2 way coaxials for the soundbar and polk 5.25 components in the dash with nalins brackets. I'm thinking sub first since it'll be easy and I have no bass, at all, which I reaaaally want. Then dash, since the stock speakers may as well not even be there, and then the soundbar. But before I drop $ on new speakers for the sound pods, I need to decide if I would prefer to upgrade to a 6 speaker bar.
I made a mistake. It is NOT discontinued and it looks like they only improved the old model. From what I can tell that includes 5 more watts. I will also give this sub due credit on durability as I have run it pretty hard for a year now and in addition to that my carpet was considerably wet for most of that due to a leaky rear hatch. It is well made.

As far having under the seat- if I need to get in the back via the front doors of the Jeep I pop the passenger seat forward but that is rare as I have the rear seat removed.

BurlySoldier is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:29 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC