tj trac bar questions - Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 08-22-2012, 11:02 AM   #1
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: 80% conservation land
Posts: 26
tj trac bar questions

so i am almost done with my axle swap i have had no time to post much but i have had to build a truss in order to have a mounting location for driver side spring mounts ect. so here is my issue....... the trac bar is in the way of my suspension articulation so my idea is to cut the mount off the frame and reverse the side in which it mounts since i have a truss does it really matter what side it runs on? i was thinking of running a simple panhard bar style mount with heims any ideas?

timmy466 is offline   Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 11:38 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: 80% conservation land
Posts: 26
52 people viewed this post and not one response. come on.......

timmy466 is offline   Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 12:03 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
orange05tj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Stop having a boring tuna. Stop having a boring life.
Posts: 3,897
Im just here to view this thread.
__________________
You'll be in a great mood all day because you'll be slapping all your troubles away.
orange05tj is offline   Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 12:21 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
C.L.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: North NJ
Posts: 2,252
Wait, when you say "reverse the side in which it mounts"... Do you mean move it to the other side of the frame rail, or move it to the OTHER frame rail? Because one of those would be hilarious when you hit your first bump.
C.L. is offline   Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 04:58 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: 80% conservation land
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.L. View Post
Wait, when you say "reverse the side in which it mounts"... Do you mean move it to the other side of the frame rail, or move it to the OTHER frame rail? Because one of those would be hilarious when you hit your first bump.
I am no jeep expert this is my first dive into coil spring suspension or a multi link for that matter. I guess that was my question am i better off to move the track bar mount forward and outside the frame rail, or should i move the link so that it mounts axle side to the side of the truss and over to the opposite side frame rail? I cant be the only person who is having this problem however i cant find anyone to give me a straight answer either.........
timmy466 is offline   Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 05:06 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
UnlimitedLJ04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 8,437
build a custom double shear frame mount & track bar setup.

regardless of what you do, you may need to clearance/modify the truss to fit.
UnlimitedLJ04 is offline   Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 05:22 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: 80% conservation land
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnlimitedLJ04 View Post
build a custom double shear frame mount & track bar setup.

regardless of what you do, you may need to clearance/modify the truss to fit.
do you have any pics of one that you or someone else has built just so i know what i am doing here
timmy466 is offline   Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:54 AM   #8
Jeeper
 
UnlimitedLJ04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 8,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmy466 View Post
do you have any pics of one that you or someone else has built just so i know what i am doing here
no, but google found this:

tj front adjustable track bars for 0-3.5", does yours hit or fit? - Page 52 - JeepForum.com
UnlimitedLJ04 is offline   Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:48 AM   #9
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: 80% conservation land
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnlimitedLJ04 View Post
Do you think it is really important to keep that cast mount or can i cut it off and make a new bracket. ideally i would like to cut it off and make a new bracket that lays about an inch forward. is that a bad idea?
timmy466 is offline   Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 11:07 AM   #10
Jeeper
 
UnlimitedLJ04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 8,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmy466 View Post
Do you think it is really important to keep that cast mount or can i cut it off and make a new bracket. ideally i would like to cut it off and make a new bracket that lays about an inch forward. is that a bad idea?
personally, i'm not a fan of the cast bracket. whatever you build, you need to verify the clearances at full bump. moving the bracket forward may cause the track bar to hit the tie-rod. improper bends of the track bar may case the track bar to hit the diff, tie-rod or something else. bad geometry will screw up the steering behavior pretty bad. making a custom front track bar setup isn't a trivial thing.
UnlimitedLJ04 is offline   Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 11:25 AM   #11
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: 80% conservation land
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnlimitedLJ04 View Post
personally, i'm not a fan of the cast bracket. whatever you build, you need to verify the clearances at full bump. moving the bracket forward may cause the track bar to hit the tie-rod. improper bends of the track bar may case the track bar to hit the diff, tie-rod or something else. bad geometry will screw up the steering behavior pretty bad. making a custom front track bar setup isn't a trivial thing.
thanks im going to pull the coils back out again today and cut off that mount then i can mock up where the bracket needs to be. I am running a crossover steering setup that was pillaged from the same truck i got the axles from so i am going to do my best to match the angle on the tie rod/ drag link. i think i can make it pretty well straight if i could move that bracket forward just some kicks on the ends to square it up. well i have been taking pics along the way and when i have some time (really bad internet connection in my area) i will up load some thanks for your time and help and if you are ever in the northern mass southern nh area drop me a line ill show you around.
timmy466 is offline   Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 03:16 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: IL
Posts: 1,118
can we see pix of this, to understand what the OP is talking about better?

97flexy is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:32 AM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2015 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC