Top 3-5 Mods To Get For TJ - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 08-14-2012, 03:45 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 49
Top 3-5 Mods To Get For TJ

Hey guys,

I have read through the many pages of mods to get and mods not to get. I have some ideas on the first things I want to add to my TJ. Something along the lines of suspension, 31-33" tires, and air intake for a little bit more beef.

Here is the thing. I want my jeep to be a good daily driver to work and back, but also can take on moderate trails. I don't need a extreme rock crawler, mud or swamp wrangler.


Let me know what you think will beef up my wrangler both for looks and performance that isn't super expensive like a supercharger or air lockers.

Thanks guys and gals!

~ Phil

Here she is..



BTW I know how to search the forums so don't need anyone to lecture me on that. I want to most updated and recent parts that are available for my TJ that are good mods to start out with.

daphilster08 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-14-2012, 03:50 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
duc202's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 33
4cyl?? if so, jump up to a 4.0

duc202 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-14-2012, 03:54 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 49
Lol thats a HUGE modification man. I was just looking for smaller, smart, fun, and bad a$$ mods.
daphilster08 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-14-2012, 03:57 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
bryantom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Killeen, TX
Posts: 176
Put on a spider sunshade, best mod i have purchased to date. Oh wait its the only mod i have purchased so far
bryantom is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-14-2012, 04:00 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 49
Cool suggestion! That stuff looks awesome! Might get that next summer!


Keep them coming ladies and gents
daphilster08 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-14-2012, 04:03 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
ninjaturtle0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 920
remove the milk jugs!! lol

If lifted install sye and cv shaft. Its worth it
__________________


/l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
ninjaturtle0 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-14-2012, 04:03 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 49
I am a noob so I am really interested about what suspension I should put on it? What brand and how many inch lift for a daily driver that is still bad arse.
daphilster08 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-14-2012, 04:05 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjaturtle0 View Post
remove the milk jugs!! lol

If lifted install sye and cv shaft. Its worth it
Like I said noob. Came from the VW scene to jeeps. Completely different.. What are milk jugs? LOL

Other 2 suggestions are great!
daphilster08 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-14-2012, 04:06 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
ninjaturtle0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by daphilster08 View Post
I am a noob so I am really interested about what suspension I should put on it? What brand and how many inch lift for a daily driver that is still bad arse.

Depends on how deep are you JEEP's?? (just empty every pocket) lol
__________________


/l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
ninjaturtle0 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-14-2012, 04:16 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjaturtle0 View Post
Depends on how deep are you JEEP's?? (just empty every pocket) lol
Lol well I want to buy quality. I want it to be a investment that lasts. Not some cheap brand. I am not rich and I have a ton of student loans to pay back but I just started my first career job so I should have enough to buy something decent.

Any ideas for what I should do? I was thinking a 3" lift but not sure what brand or product. Help me out peeps
daphilster08 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-14-2012, 04:23 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
ninjaturtle0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 920
There should be some peeps on here that know what good brands are out there. the ones i can think off are Rubicon express and old man for quality.

Milkjugs are those plastic things on the end of your factory bumpers. free mod
__________________


/l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
ninjaturtle0 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-14-2012, 04:25 PM   #12
Newb
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Converse, TX
Posts: 8
Milkjugs = those black plastic flotation like devices on the ends of your bumpers. Other mods, remove those black plastic pontoon like devices on the side of your vehicle some folks call them side steps and replace with some rock sliders. Paint your chrome headlight bezels, I used plastidip and turned out nice. Like others have said, just depends on how deep your pockets are. Aftermarket heaven is only few crisp hundies away.
Armymedic74 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-14-2012, 04:36 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjaturtle0 View Post
There should be some peeps on here that know what good brands are out there. the ones i can think off are Rubicon express and old man for quality.

Milkjugs are those plastic things on the end of your factory bumpers. free mod
Awesome thanks! I love free mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armymedic74 View Post
Milkjugs = those black plastic flotation like devices on the ends of your bumpers. Other mods, remove those black plastic pontoon like devices on the side of your vehicle some folks call them side steps and replace with some rock sliders. Paint your chrome headlight bezels, I used plastidip and turned out nice. Like others have said, just depends on how deep your pockets are. Aftermarket heaven is only few crisp hundies away.
Very helpful info just like above! I planned on plastidipping the chrome bezels. Anything else I should plastidip to look awesome? My friend does it quite a bit so I wanna do it all at once.

Still looking for the best brand and product for a 3 inch lift.

Second question, what side protection/armor should I put on?

Thanks! Loving this forum already!
daphilster08 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-14-2012, 04:37 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
Dextreme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Oregon City, OR
Posts: 3,498
Images: 1
For a DD and to keep cost down for 33's, I would do a 2" lift with a 1.25" body lift. 2" BB spacer kits are cheap (~$100) and will maintain very close to the stock ride you have now. Or spend a little more and get some 2" taller springs (better way to go).

If you go with 31's tires, just a 2" lift or the 1.25" BL will look good. But don't go bigger than 1.25" on a Body Lift.
__________________
'99 Chilli Pepper TJ Wrangler "Mistress"
33x12.5 DuraTracs
Zone 4.25"
Dextreme is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-14-2012, 04:53 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextreme View Post
For a DD and to keep cost down for 33's, I would do a 2" lift with a 1.25" body lift. 2" BB spacer kits are cheap (~$100) and will maintain very close to the stock ride you have now. Or spend a little more and get some 2" taller springs (better way to go).

If you go with 31's tires, just a 2" lift or the 1.25" BL will look good. But don't go bigger than 1.25" on a Body Lift.
Very good detailed advice. Thank you for your input! I think I want to do the 33" tires with 2" lift and 1.25" BL. Just need to figure out what brands to use on all three, even for tires. Will all three of these on budget products run me around $1000?
daphilster08 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-14-2012, 05:01 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
zeprider25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Fort Lewis
Posts: 300
if you do 33's I suggest 4 inch lift. To me it is the perfect combination. Though I am a bit biased. Remember you will have to regear when going to bigger tires. Especially on the 2.4L
zeprider25 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-14-2012, 05:04 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 49
So before getting 33" what will I have to regear with? This might be an import top 3 mod because I am looking to get 33's
daphilster08 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-14-2012, 05:05 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
kbarber's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Clemson SC
Posts: 88
If you want quality.....I have a 2.5'' old man emu suspension lift, and I love it, rides great and the yellow shocks look pretty good too! 33'' tires fit fine under it too, I combo'd that with a 1.25'' JKS BL and a 1'' JKS motor mount lift, and it fixed all driveline vibrations, and gave me some more room under the front fenders for when its FLEXY TIME!!!

As for armor, sliders are a must for any wheeling involving pretty much anything but mud, and even then they look freaking awesome so if you mud you might as well get them. Steering box protection is huge too, since it just kinda sits under your front bumper waiting to get smashed, for both of those I would only ever consider Rokmen, say what you will about the price, but its just unbeatable quality and craftsmanship!! You wont regret paying the money when Rokmen armor saves your a$$ on the trails!
kbarber is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-14-2012, 05:11 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarber View Post
If you want quality.....I have a 2.5'' old man emu suspension lift, and I love it, rides great and the yellow shocks look pretty good too! 33'' tires fit fine under it too, I combo'd that with a 1.25'' JKS BL and a 1'' JKS motor mount lift, and it fixed all driveline vibrations, and gave me some more room under the front fenders for when its FLEXY TIME!!!

As for armor, sliders are a must for any wheeling involving pretty much anything but mud, and even then they look freaking awesome so if you mud you might as well get them. Steering box protection is huge too, since it just kinda sits under your front bumper waiting to get smashed, for both of those I would only ever consider Rokmen, say what you will about the price, but its just unbeatable quality and craftsmanship!! You wont regret paying the money when Rokmen armor saves your a$$ on the trails!

Awesome! Do you think the 2.5" lift looks good with the 33's or should I go up a little bit on the lift? You guys are great! I am getting some great responses now I just need to see what order I want to buy these in as I don't have a bunch of cash right now. By July of next summer, I hope to have a lot of this stuff on the wrangler though!
daphilster08 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-14-2012, 05:16 PM   #20
Newb
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Converse, TX
Posts: 8
Another great option for rock protection is Taboo Customs TJ Rock Sliders/Steps - TABOO CUSTOMS great product, great customer service and fast shipping. Plus they do look bada$$. I also second the SpiderWeb shade, so far one of the best mods I have done to my TJ.
Armymedic74 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-14-2012, 05:19 PM   #21
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 49
^^ Are the rock sliders hard to install? That is something I definitely want to add to my TJ Think the spiderweb shade will be a mod in the future but not the top 5.


I looked up different lifts. I truly dont like the 4" lift with 33" tires.
I think the perfect look is something along 2.3 or 3" lift, 1.25 BL on 33" tires. Comments?
daphilster08 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-14-2012, 05:29 PM   #22
Jeeper
 
InvertChaos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NoVa
Posts: 7,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by daphilster08

Lol well I want to buy quality. I want it to be a investment that lasts. Not some cheap brand. I am not rich and I have a ton of student loans to pay back but I just started my first career job so I should have enough to buy something decent.

Any ideas for what I should do? I was thinking a 3" lift but not sure what brand or product. Help me out peeps
The Zone 4.25" kit is decent for the money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextreme
For a DD and to keep cost down for 33's, I would do a 2" lift with a 1.25" body lift. 2" BB spacer kits are cheap (~$100) and will maintain very close to the stock ride you have now. Or spend a little more and get some 2" taller springs (better way to go).

If you go with 31's tires, just a 2" lift or the 1.25" BL will look good. But don't go bigger than 1.25" on a Body Lift.
Yeah I'd recommend you keep it at 31" tires unless you wheel it. Do an OME 2" lift with 31s and it'll loom mean. Add some skid plates and it'll go very far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daphilster08
^^ Are the rock sliders hard to install? That is something I definitely want to add to my TJ Think the spiderweb shade will be a mod in the future but not the top 5.

I looked up different lifts. I truly dont like the 4" lift with 33" tires.
I think the perfect look is something along 2.3 or 3" lift, 1.25 BL on 33" tires. Comments?
The hardest part about rock sliders is lining it up and drilling the holes. Its a little stressful drilling holes into the tub.
__________________
|2004 Jeep TJ "Green Machine"|4.0L 5 speed Dana44|33x12.50x15 Goodyear Duratracs|2.5" RC coils + 1.25" body lift|OME NitroSport shocks|4.56 gears|Skid Row Engine Skid|BCC Sliders|Currie AntiRock|
InvertChaos is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-14-2012, 05:36 PM   #23
Jeeper
 
kbarber's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Clemson SC
Posts: 88
The Jeep in my profile has 33's with the 2.5'' OME lift....IMO the 2.5'' looks great, because there isn't a ton of room between the tires and the fenders, this adds an agressive look too me.....because it looks wider, not taller (well obviously it looks taller, but you get the picture). So to me, the 2.5 lift and the 33's is perfect. Then some say 4'' lift with 33's is great too, its all personal preference.

If you wanna see more pics of my jeep PM me, that way you can get a better idea of what the 2.5'' lift + 33's looks like.
kbarber is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-14-2012, 05:53 PM   #24
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by InvertChaos View Post
The Zone 4.25" kit is decent for the money.

Hmm that lift might be a little big. It looks good though. I will have to brainstorm and see what I can afford and what I think looks good for a daily driver.



Yeah I'd recommend you keep it at 31" tires unless you wheel it. Do an OME 2" lift with 31s and it'll loom mean. Add some skid plates and it'll go very far.

Sounds like a good set up. Now it is all down to decisions and me getting paid for the first time in a few months next week!

The hardest part about rock sliders is lining it up and drilling the holes. Its a little stressful drilling holes into the tub.
Uhhh yaaa that sounds stressful already! Where are my Minnesotan Jeepers at? I may need some help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarber View Post
The Jeep in my profile has 33's with the 2.5'' OME lift....IMO the 2.5'' looks great, because there isn't a ton of room between the tires and the fenders, this adds an agressive look too me.....because it looks wider, not taller (well obviously it looks taller, but you get the picture). So to me, the 2.5 lift and the 33's is perfect. Then some say 4'' lift with 33's is great too, its all personal preference.

If you wanna see more pics of my jeep PM me, that way you can get a better idea of what the 2.5'' lift + 33's looks like.
I really like the 2.5" lift with 33's. I know exactly what you mean by the mean look and it definitely looks awesome for a city jeep. This may be the way I go! I will PM you now!




For rock sliders, would these be okay?

TJ-4121 - Body Armor Rockcrawler Side Guards for 97-06 Jeep® Wrangler TJ - Quadratec

or should I save up for rokmens even though I might not do any hard trailing?
daphilster08 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-14-2012, 08:35 PM   #25
War Damn Eagle

WF Supporting Member
 
gixxerphil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Auburn, Al
Posts: 27,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRNGLR View Post
Hi Mate , I'm in New Zealand, I have a 99 TJ, it seems to me noone like posting pics of their rigs so here is mine

2inch Old Man Emu Suspension lift, 33 inch BFG Muddies, rear sway ber removed for more rearend flex, soon to have quick disconnects for front sway bar.mega short SYE with modified 92 Toyota hi-lux rear drive shaft instead of double cardan shaft, is my daily driver, and do fairly hard 4 wheeling

I don't see any pic
__________________
gixxerphil is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-14-2012, 08:39 PM   #26
Jeeper
 
InvertChaos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NoVa
Posts: 7,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRNGLR
Hi Mate , I'm in New Zealand, I have a 99 TJ, it seems to me noone like posting pics of their rigs so here is mine

2inch Old Man Emu Suspension lift, 33 inch BFG Muddies, rear sway ber removed for more rearend flex, soon to have quick disconnects for front sway bar.mega short SYE with modified 92 Toyota hi-lux rear drive shaft instead of double cardan shaft, is my daily driver, and do fairly hard 4 wheeling
I'm not telling you what to do, but the rear sway bar does not impede flex at all.

Here is mine with 2.5" suspension and 1.25" body lift



Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120814_213810.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	220.7 KB
ID:	150381





__________________
|2004 Jeep TJ "Green Machine"|4.0L 5 speed Dana44|33x12.50x15 Goodyear Duratracs|2.5" RC coils + 1.25" body lift|OME NitroSport shocks|4.56 gears|Skid Row Engine Skid|BCC Sliders|Currie AntiRock|
InvertChaos is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-14-2012, 08:40 PM   #27
Jeeper
 
DeepSouthJeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Baton Rouge
Posts: 1,575
You definitely need to get some mirror relocation brackets/windshield mounted mirrors for her! Wranglers look WAY better doorless, and they're much more fun!
DeepSouthJeeper is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-14-2012, 08:41 PM   #28
Jeeper
 
WRNGLR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ashhurst, New Zealand
Posts: 73
Images: 5
Hi Mate , I'm in New Zealand, I have a 99 TJ, it seems to me noone like posting pics of their rigs so here is mine ( hope pics open)

2inch Old Man Emu Suspension lift, 33 inch BFG Muddies, rear sway ber removed for more rearend flex, soon to have quick disconnects for front sway bar.mega short SYE with modified 92 Toyota hi-lux rear drive shaft instead of double cardan shaft, is my daily driver, and do fairly hard 4 wheeling
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG5934 (3).jpg
Views:	193
Size:	234.2 KB
ID:	150380   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG5650 (3).jpg
Views:	205
Size:	138.8 KB
ID:	150383  

__________________
Eat,Sleep,Jeep
99 TJ,2 Inch Lift,Rock Sliders, Sill Protectors,SYE,Hi-Lux Drive Shaft,15x8 White Steelies,PRS VHF Radio,Snorkle,Bowless Soft Top,Bumper mounted Hi-Lift Jack
WRNGLR is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-14-2012, 08:52 PM   #29
War Damn Eagle

WF Supporting Member
 
gixxerphil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Auburn, Al
Posts: 27,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRNGLR View Post
Hi Mate , I'm in New Zealand, I have a 99 TJ, it seems to me noone like posting pics of their rigs so here is mine ( hope pics open)

2inch Old Man Emu Suspension lift, 33 inch BFG Muddies, rear sway ber removed for more rearend flex, soon to have quick disconnects for front sway bar.mega short SYE with modified 92 Toyota hi-lux rear drive shaft instead of double cardan shaft, is my daily driver, and do fairly hard 4 wheeling

I'm digging the white wagon wheels
__________________
gixxerphil is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-14-2012, 08:56 PM   #30
Jeeper
 
WRNGLR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ashhurst, New Zealand
Posts: 73
Images: 5
[QUOTE=InvertChaos;2685611]I'm not telling you what to do, but the rear sway bar does not impede flex at all.

Here is mine with 2.5" suspension and 1.25" body lift


mine seems to , maybe not more flex but doesn't get cross axled as much, wheels seem to reach down further if that makes sense, any way bushes were shot so took them off, not needed for warrant of fitness.

__________________
Eat,Sleep,Jeep
99 TJ,2 Inch Lift,Rock Sliders, Sill Protectors,SYE,Hi-Lux Drive Shaft,15x8 White Steelies,PRS VHF Radio,Snorkle,Bowless Soft Top,Bumper mounted Hi-Lift Jack
WRNGLR is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:16 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC