towing a jeep wrangler - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 04-08-2012, 10:53 PM   #1
Newb
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: san diego, california
Posts: 2
Cool towing a jeep wrangler

hey, just bought a 2001 jeep wrangler and was woundering how and whats the best way to tow the jeep for long distance travel

cale233 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-08-2012, 11:16 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
Curro's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Syracuse NY
Posts: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by cale233 View Post
hey, just bought a 2001 jeep wrangler and was woundering how and whats the best way to tow the jeep for long distance travel
Best way would be on a trailer with all four wheels off the ground. Jeeps do tow well with a tow bar, all for wheels down, transfer case in neutral and tranny in any forward gear. If you must use a tow dolly be sure to disconnect the rear drive shaft and you should be fine..

Curro is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-08-2012, 11:41 PM   #3
Newb
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: san diego, california
Posts: 2
ok. cool thanks. i was gonna use a trailer anyways. thanks for ur input
cale233 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-09-2012, 11:08 AM   #4
Jeeper
 
Border Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Bellingham, WA
Posts: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curro View Post
Jeeps do tow well with a tow bar, all for wheels down, transfer case in neutral and tranny in any forward gear. If you must use a tow dolly be sure to disconnect the rear drive shaft and you should be fine..
So what you're saying is you don't need to remove the rear driveshaft when you flat-tow with a tow bar, but you do when you use a tow dolly?
Border Dave is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-09-2012, 02:21 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
Curro's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Syracuse NY
Posts: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Border Dave View Post
So what you're saying is you don't need to remove the rear driveshaft when you flat-tow with a tow bar, but you do when you use a tow dolly?
Yep, that's exactly what I am saying..
Curro is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-09-2012, 02:34 PM   #6
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 30,905
Images: 2
The TJ easily flat tows by doing nothing more than shifting the transfer case into Neutral and the transmission into gear or Park (yes) if it's an automatic. That is per your owners manual. There is NO need to flat-bed it or remove either driveshaft to safely flat tow your TJ. Really.

I don't understand the technical reason why, as suggested above, the rear driveshaft needs to be disconnected if the TJ has its front wheels up on a dolly and the tcase has been shifted into Neutral.
__________________
When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-09-2012, 03:56 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
woggie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Frisco, TX
Posts: 137
I have been thinking about flat towing my TJ when we go play as I do not have a trailer. I assume you will still have "normal wear" with flat towing the jeep but is it "that bad" in the long run? Most everyone in my neck of the woods brings their rig on a trailer. I am thinking of flat towing that way if I break something I can still get home
woggie is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-09-2012, 04:07 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
Sherpa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Lehi, UT
Posts: 1,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by woggie View Post
Most everyone in my neck of the woods brings their rig on a trailer. I am thinking of flat towing that way if I break something I can still get home
Be advised: there are some component failures which will not allow you to flat tow your rig home without being repaired. If you're simply dragging your Jeep behind an RV so you have a runabout vehicle while at the beach, flat towing is perfectly adequate. If on the other hand you want to tow your Jeep as an insurance policy to guarantee it (and you) get back home in time to go to work the next day, don't fool around--put it on a trailer.
__________________
Dempsey Bowling
My fleet: 91 Miata, 98 Wrangler Sport, 06 Mustang GT, 01 Suburban 8.1L, 14 Forte EX
Jeep mods: 4" longarm + 1" BL, 35" KM2s, 4.56s with dual ARBs... and lots of scratched armor
Sherpa is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-09-2012, 04:09 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
Dextreme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Oregon City, OR
Posts: 3,421
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by woggie View Post
I have been thinking about flat towing my TJ when we go play as I do not have a trailer. I assume you will still have "normal wear" with flat towing the jeep but is it "that bad" in the long run? Most everyone in my neck of the woods brings their rig on a trailer. I am thinking of flat towing that way if I break something I can still get home
Maybe just normal tire wear and miles on the axle fluids.

Here is my thread on how I set my TJ up to Flat Tow:
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/sett...ow-136535.html
__________________
'99 Chilli Pepper TJ Wrangler "Mistress"
33x12.5 DuraTracs
Zone 4.25"
Dextreme is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-09-2012, 04:10 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
Border Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Bellingham, WA
Posts: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
I don't understand the technical reason why, as suggested above, the rear driveshaft needs to be disconnected if the TJ has its front wheels up on a dolly and the tcase has been shifted into Neutral.
I don't either, Jerry, but I just went out and looked at my 2001 owner's manual and on page 158 it says, "CAUTION! - Internal damage to the transfer case will occur if a front or rear wheel lift is used when recreational towing."
Border Dave is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-09-2012, 04:18 PM   #11
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 30,905
Images: 2
I'll be darned. Try as I have, I cannot come up with why technically that would be a problem.
__________________
When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-09-2012, 04:28 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
Dextreme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Oregon City, OR
Posts: 3,421
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
I'll be darned. Try as I have, I cannot come up with why technically that would be a problem.
Just a wild stretch..but what about how the fluid sits in the xfer case with the Jeep been towed with the front up or down? (Seems like it shouldn't matter though.)
__________________
'99 Chilli Pepper TJ Wrangler "Mistress"
33x12.5 DuraTracs
Zone 4.25"
Dextreme is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-09-2012, 04:46 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
Border Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Bellingham, WA
Posts: 497
I just called Don-A-Vee Jeep in Placentia, CA and their master technician, Moses (nice guy), said that he's not sure why the owner's manual would say not to use a tow dolly. He said that as long as the Jeep's transfer case is in neutral, and the transmission is in park for autos or any forward gear for manuals, there should be no problems using a tow dolly to lift either the front or the rear.
Border Dave is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-09-2012, 05:32 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
Tyewilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 551
The only thing I can think of is that it may cause excessive wear on the mode synchro.
Tyewilly is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-09-2012, 06:37 PM   #15
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 30,905
Images: 2
Not when the tcase has been shifted into neutral which disconnects the rear driveshaft.
__________________
When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-09-2012, 06:48 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
SIXTI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 336
Make sure the bands supplied to strap down your tires actually go around the wheel. I've had trouble with this (U-haul) and had to deflate my tires entirely and still add my own strap before it went around my 33x12.50x15's.
SIXTI is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-09-2012, 07:03 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
div4gold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: WA
Posts: 506
When you flat tow does the odometer log up those miles? Seems like it couldn't if the transfer case is in N.
__________________
2006 TJ Unlimited, stock.
div4gold is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-10-2012, 12:54 AM   #18
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
50Johnbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Deer Park, Tx
Posts: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by div4gold View Post
When you flat tow does the odometer log up those miles? Seems like it couldn't if the transfer case is in N.
No, I flat towed my '01 to Colorado and back and the odometer did not change at all. I just followed the instructions in the owners manual. I don't think it has anything to do with the t-case being in neutral, I think it has everything to do with the fact that the key is not turned on. The UNLOCKED ON position only unlocks the steering wheel and does not supply power to anything, including the odometer.
50Johnbob is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-10-2012, 01:02 AM   #19
Jeeper
 
solman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Southern PA
Posts: 1,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
I'll be darned. Try as I have, I cannot come up with why technically that would be a problem.
From what I understand, the rotation of the front drive shaft circulates the fluid throughout the transfer case. If the front wheels are off the ground and the rear wheels are on the ground (even with the transfer case in neutral) the output shaft is still spinning and creating heat and friction. Without the front shaft spinning to circulate the fluid excessive wear is caused.
__________________
Favorite quote, Thanks GoldenSahara00 "not many people do it. most of the guys who do do it, don't sit on the computer and talk/write about it, they do it then go wheel"
solman is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-10-2012, 03:55 AM   #20
Newb
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 7
i was gonna use a trailer anyways
TomTankslely is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-10-2012, 07:36 AM   #21
Jeeper
 
Tyewilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by solman

From what I understand, the rotation of the front drive shaft circulates the fluid throughout the transfer case. If the front wheels are off the ground and the rear wheels are on the ground (even with the transfer case in neutral) the output shaft is still spinning and creating heat and friction. Without the front shaft spinning to circulate the fluid excessive wear is caused.
Nope, the transfer case oil pump is driven by the rear output shaft.
Tyewilly is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-10-2012, 08:01 AM   #22
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
50Johnbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Deer Park, Tx
Posts: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyewilly View Post
Nope, the transfer case oil pump is driven by the rear output shaft.
That's what I was thinking also
50Johnbob is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-10-2012, 09:10 AM   #23
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 30,905
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyewilly View Post
Nope, the transfer case oil pump is driven by the rear output shaft.
True.
__________________
When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-10-2012, 09:41 AM   #24
Jeeper
 
Tyewilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 551
What's really weird is in a yj, that has a functioning cad system, the front driveshaft doesn't turn in 2wd. You'd think that would cause the same problems in the tcase as towing on a dolly, if there are any.

Edit: Although earlier yjs didn't have a "true neutral", the mode fork remained in the 4wd position in neutral while the range fork was in the neutral position between hi and low.
Tyewilly is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-10-2012, 10:48 AM   #25
Jeeper
 
woggie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Frisco, TX
Posts: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherpa View Post
Be advised: there are some component failures which will not allow you to flat tow your rig home without being repaired. If you're simply dragging your Jeep behind an RV so you have a runabout vehicle while at the beach, flat towing is perfectly adequate. If on the other hand you want to tow your Jeep as an insurance policy to guarantee it (and you) get back home in time to go to work the next day, don't fool around--put it on a trailer.
Agreed, that is why I am wishy-washy about it. Around here you either drive your rig or trailer it. I just don't have a trailer, at least not yet.
woggie is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-08-2013, 02:29 PM   #26
Newb
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2
factory manual says:transfer case in neutral ,auto in park,,manual in forward gear
meallene is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-08-2013, 05:18 PM   #27
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,803
don't understand the tow dolly restriction either

for my tj with manual hubs all four wheels i figure best tow is tranny in gear tc in 4h and all four hubs set to free that way all drivetrain except hubs should not be rotating

Digger84 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Jeep Owner In Northwest FL flyracin17 WF New Member Check In 10 04-12-2012 11:11 AM
Waahhoooo finally my Jeep is done -*pics* 1jeeplvr TJ General Discussion Forum 27 04-09-2012 05:42 PM
selling jeep to buy another jeep....tj vs yj? USMClovesXJ General Jeep Discussion 12 04-09-2012 12:43 PM
Buying used jeep Hondo lane General Jeep Discussion 5 04-09-2012 12:10 PM
Will 17" wheels fit on a 93 wrangler without a lift? Lj85 YJ Tech Forum 2 04-08-2012 09:44 PM


logo carid shop wrangler parts carid fender flares custom wheels store avs deflectors at carid
» Rates
Get low rates on auto insurance in Canada!

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:49 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC