Trac Bar Bracket - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 05-08-2013, 06:34 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
rdock31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Peoria, IL
Posts: 287
Trac Bar Bracket

Does anyone have problems with their rear trac bar relocation brackets? I was planning on installing it on my jeep since I already had it. Would welding it in place make it stronger?

rdock31 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-08-2013, 07:28 PM   #2
Moderator

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
doclouie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: In the mountains.
Posts: 3,606
Images: 4
No problem with mine, which is a JKS one. It does bring it closer to the gas tank skid though.

__________________
2000 Sahara, 3.5" Rubicon Express Lift, 1" spring spacer & 1" Body Lift, 33" or 35" BFG Mud tires, Front & Rear ARB, Rancho 9000 shocks, UCF Ultra High Belly Up

doclouie is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-08-2013, 09:42 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
UnlimitedLJ04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 6,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdock31 View Post
Does anyone have problems with their rear trac bar relocation brackets? I was planning on installing it on my jeep since I already had it. Would welding it in place make it stronger?
yes, people sometimes have problems with them. sometimes they cause you rip the stock mount off the axle. sometimes they come loose. they most the track bar back about 1/4" and up a few inches. This often causes clearance issues with the frame at the gas tank mount. the bracket can also hit & damage fuel & evap lines or the fuel pump wires, or the underside of the tub.

you can not only weld the relocation bracket to the stock bracket, which will prevent loosening, but you can also fabricate some reinforcement to tie the bracket into the axle tube to prevent ripping the stock bracket off the axle. you also should pull the springs & jounce bumper, then push the axle to full bump to determine correct bumpstop length and ensure there are no clearance issues. if you really want to be thorough, you cut the stock bracket off, and weld something better, stronger & open top in it's place.
UnlimitedLJ04 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-09-2013, 07:35 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
rdock31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Peoria, IL
Posts: 287
Thanks a ton, I appreciate it.
rdock31 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-10-2013, 08:19 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
elclipo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 720
Unlimited, I have read your threads on this topic here and at JF. If I understand you correctly, the bracket can be used so as long as I set everything else up (bumpstops, etc.) which should be done regardless. Welding it in place would make it stronger, bracing it to the axle would make it stronger still.

That said, if I wanted to create a new one, would mimicking the stock one (sans the top) with a stronger base and thinker sheet metal be enough? Or would I need to make it taller than stock like the bracket?
__________________
Semper Fi
elclipo is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-10-2013, 08:48 AM   #6
Jeeper
 
UnlimitedLJ04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 6,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by elclipo View Post
Unlimited, I have read your threads on this topic here and at JF. If I understand you correctly, the bracket can be used so as long as I set everything else up (bumpstops, etc.) which should be done regardless. Welding it in place would make it stronger, bracing it to the axle would make it stronger still.

That said, if I wanted to create a new one, would mimicking the stock one (sans the top) with a stronger base and thinker sheet metal be enough? Or would I need to make it taller than stock like the bracket?
welding the bracket in place won't make it stronger, it will just prevent it from loosening. the relocation bracket is still mounted to a weak base (stock bracket), which can still rip off. however, welding some reinforcement to the axle tube strengthens the whole assembly.

bracket height is about correcting roll center (suspension geometry property). the amount of correction is a whole different discussion.
http://www.advancedsuspensiondesign....ension-101.php
Suspension Geometry - JeepForum.com

examples with reinforcement:



homemade replacement:


ripped off bracket:


even more information here:
OME rear track bar bracket - JeepForum.com
UnlimitedLJ04 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-10-2013, 09:38 AM   #7
Jeeper
 
elclipo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 720
Thanks! That's the thread I was looking for and couldn't find. Amazingly enough I have an adjustable rear trackbar but of course it binds like this one:



SO it looks like I'll be making something similar to your example above. I found the step by step on the brace.

I do have another question though. I don't have a SYE yet but I know is in the future (second only to control arms since those are needed). Should I go for the bent bracket now or should I revisit this whole thing when I do get the SYE?
__________________
Semper Fi
elclipo is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-10-2013, 10:19 AM   #8
Jeeper
 
UnlimitedLJ04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 6,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by elclipo View Post
Should I go for the bent bracket now or should I revisit this whole thing when I do get the SYE?
you'll have to cut everything you fabricate off, then build something new.

best case scenario is just cut both UCA mounts off, along with the track bar mount, and start over. most people don't want to get that involved, unless they're already doing an 8.8 swap or something.

if you've read my build thread, you'll see I've just band-aided the bracket and fabbed a track bar, to make it work. maybe someday i'll cut it all off and start over. IMHO, the frame side front mount and rear axle mount suck from the factory.
UnlimitedLJ04 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-10-2013, 10:31 AM   #9
Jeeper
 
rdock31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Peoria, IL
Posts: 287
But without off-road use, the stock bracket and relocation bracket should work fine? Not many places within 4-5 hours of me and it's my DD.
rdock31 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-10-2013, 10:46 AM   #10
Jeeper
 
elclipo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 720
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnlimitedLJ04 View Post
you'll have to cut everything you fabricate off, then build something new.

best case scenario is just cut both UCA mounts off, along with the track bar mount, and start over. most people don't want to get that involved, unless they're already doing an 8.8 swap or something.

if you've read my build thread, you'll see I've just band-aided the bracket and fabbed a track bar, to make it work. maybe someday i'll cut it all off and start over. IMHO, the frame side front mount and rear axle mount suck from the factory.
Damned if you do, damned if you don't. I have to correct things now but would hate to refab the bracket once I get the SYE. I won't do a full refab on the D35 though as my long term plan is a D44 with a 4 link system.
__________________
Semper Fi
elclipo is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-10-2013, 10:48 AM   #11
Jeeper
 
UnlimitedLJ04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 6,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdock31 View Post
But without off-road use, the stock bracket and relocation bracket should work fine? Not many places within 4-5 hours of me and it's my DD.
what's off-road use got to do with it?
UnlimitedLJ04 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-10-2013, 10:56 AM   #12
Jeeper
 
rdock31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Peoria, IL
Posts: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnlimitedLJ04 View Post
what's off-road use got to do with it?
A few people told me it is the off road pounding with the bracket that causes it to rip off.. They may be wrong though.

After reading the thread about the brackets, I think I'm wanting to go with the actual brace setup. Though I when I search for them the brackets only come up.
rdock31 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-10-2013, 11:04 AM   #13
Jeeper
 
UnlimitedLJ04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 6,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdock31 View Post
A few people told me it is the off road pounding with the bracket that causes it to rip off.. They may be wrong though.

After reading the thread about the brackets, I think I'm wanting to go with the actual brace setup. Though I when I search for them the brackets only come up.
depending what kind of off-roading is done, yes you can greatly increase the stress on the bracket.

that said, the track bar is needed on the street just as much as it is off the road. if you rip the track bar bracket off, you also rip the upper control arm mount off and the vehicle basically becomes undriveable.
UnlimitedLJ04 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-10-2013, 11:27 AM   #14
Jeeper
 
rdock31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Peoria, IL
Posts: 287
Right but everyday street driving will increase stress as well, which is why adding reinforcement is a good idea regardless of how you use it?

rdock31 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:26 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC