Twisted Rear Track bar/Pop - anyone have this exp. - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 02-26-2012, 06:26 PM   #1
Rock-Rubber

WF Supporting Member
 
GoldenSahara00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SCPA
Posts: 16,560
Twisted Rear Track bar/Pop - anyone have this exp.

So, I have always had trouble getting my rear track bar back in anytime I have it off. I have the bracket from zone, but I have a stock rear track bar still. It, at times, make a horendous popping noise like metal hitting metal. In order to get the track bar in it takes two people, a big pipe wrench, and a crow bar.

There is a chance that it is bent from an accident the jeep was in before I owned it, a small chance. Nothing noticiable to me after inspecting it several dozen times over the years though. The end that goes to the axle end bracket is rotated with the top towards the front of the vehicle.

I have read that there are different types of brackets, one that is straight and one that is angled. Supposedly the angled bracket assists in keeping the track bar away from the gas tank. mine has about 1/4 inch of room at resting height, and of course as the axle droops the axle moves forward giving it more room not less. I have checked this out several times and don't believe that is the issue.

In order to get the bar in the bracket tight, I have to go through all the hussle I mentioned earlier, and then tighten the bolt down. This actually bends the 3/16 steel of the bracket around the track bar. It doesn't sit flush on both sides. I think that my bolt just gets loose and needs retorqed. The torque spec is 70something odd #s. I probably have over torqued it a few times because it is the only thing that makes the pop go away. It just came back recently, but I would rather fix the source of the problem then just keep tightening the bolt. I am looking to possibly a setup that doesn't require a track bar on my new axle that will be going in, but until then I want to fix this.

I also considered cutting the tabs off of the bracket, bolting them to the track bar. putting the track bar back down onto the bracket where it would sit flush, then weld it back on so it would be at the correct angle.

I know its not the bushing because I had it out about 6 months ago, and dug the thing and out replaced it. that stock bushing is a PITA to get out, I would rather buy a new jeep then try to replace the annoying thing again (just kidding) but it really was an unpleasant experience.

If anyone has some personal experience with this issue, please chime in. Thanks.

__________________
Ryan - A good eye, a light foot, and a smart rig.
Bolt-ons are boring
AMERICAN JEEPER
My Build - http://www.wranglerforum.com/f118/pr...a00-74622.html
Rausch Creek Trip: 2014 Trip Coming Soon
GoldenSahara00 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-26-2012, 06:52 PM   #2
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 31,101
Images: 2
Do you have a CV driveshaft?

Is the bracket you have it installed into designed for a CV driveshaft equipped axle?

Can you post a photo of the driver's side track bar bracket?

__________________
When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-26-2012, 07:21 PM   #3
Rock-Rubber

WF Supporting Member
 
GoldenSahara00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SCPA
Posts: 16,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
Do you have a CV driveshaft?

Is the bracket you have it installed into designed for a CV driveshaft equipped axle?

Can you post a photo of the driver's side track bar bracket?
No cv shaft. It's designed for a simple lift (from the zone 3 inch).

And sure I can get one when it's light. I'm gona work a little on it tomorrow.

I think know what your thinking and that makes sense but I don't think the axle is rotated as I have stock controls arms and the axle is still in (or should be) in stock position. I checked before for the input and output to be parallel and they are pretty close if not there.
__________________
Ryan - A good eye, a light foot, and a smart rig.
Bolt-ons are boring
AMERICAN JEEPER
My Build - http://www.wranglerforum.com/f118/pr...a00-74622.html
Rausch Creek Trip: 2014 Trip Coming Soon
GoldenSahara00 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-26-2012, 07:27 PM   #4
Show Me Your 8008135!

WF Supporting Member
 
s3nt3nc3d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Piqua, OH
Posts: 3,641
Send a message via AIM to s3nt3nc3d
I'm getting a pop from my setup...not sure if it's the same issue you're having. Does it do it only on right turns?

What mine does and I haven't had a chance to get under it and track it down...when I first start driving my Jeep, I make a tight right corner and get a quick, "pop!" and then then it's fine until I park it for a while. Seems to me like it may either be rear swaybar, trackbar, or right rear shock/spring. Loose perhaps...

Just curious if our problems are similar so I know where to focus my search.
__________________
"We don't build great brakes because we think you don't know how to drive, we build them for the guy on the road in front of you that doesn't." - Black Magic Brakes
s3nt3nc3d is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-26-2012, 07:28 PM   #5
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 31,101
Images: 2
What I was worrying about is that the angle of the bracket wasn't matching how the axle was rotated (or not rotated for a non-CV driveshaft). I was wondering if the aftermarket bracket you have on your non-CV equipped TJ might have been angled for a CV equipped TJ.
__________________
When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-26-2012, 07:30 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
UnlimitedLJ04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 7,114
have you cycled the suspension full bump to full droop with the springs removed to replicate the noise?

1/4" clearance at ride height is pretty damn tight - remember in uptravel the rear axle moves BACK....



You're thinking of modding the track bar wrong, IMHO. Instead of messing with the bracket, cut the track bar along it's long straight edge, the orient it at ride height with zero stress on the bushings, then sleeve it and weld it out. get at least two plug welds on each end. If the stock bar doesn't fit at full bump, and thats your pop, then you'll need to heat up the stock bar with an oxy-acet torch and put two bends in it to fit.

Thats what I did...see here: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/un...l#post11981652
UnlimitedLJ04 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-26-2012, 07:46 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
jrmiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 441
I don't think clearance is the issue I have the same noise when first get the Jeep going in the morning and that's pulling out of a flat parking spot so no articulation of the axles to cause anything to rub

I could be wrong but I would like to find an answer as well. Bugs me sometimes sounds like something breaking every time lol
jrmiller is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-26-2012, 07:51 PM   #8
Rock-Rubber

WF Supporting Member
 
GoldenSahara00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SCPA
Posts: 16,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
What I was worrying about is that the angle of the bracket wasn't matching how the axle was rotated (or not rotated for a non-CV driveshaft). I was wondering if the aftermarket bracket you have on your non-CV equipped TJ might have been angled for a CV equipped TJ.
Yeah I know. But it's for a non cv driveshaft and my axle is setup with stock arms so it should all be right. But it's not angled. It should be though from the appearance.


Quote:
Originally Posted by UnlimitedLJ04
have you cycled the suspension full bump to full droop with the springs removed to replicate the noise?

1/4" clearance at ride height is pretty damn tight - remember in uptravel the rear axle moves BACK....

You're thinking of modding the track bar wrong, IMHO. Instead of messing with the bracket, cut the track bar along it's long straight edge, the orient it at ride height with zero stress on the bushings, then sleeve it and weld it out. get at least two plug welds on each end. If the stock bar doesn't fit at full bump, and thats your pop, then you'll need to heat up the stock bar with an oxy-acet torch and put two bends in it to fit.

Thats what I did...see here: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/un...l#post11981652
Yeah I cycled it like forever ago lol. I am going to reassess things as soon as it goes above the 30s and I have a weekend off to finish fixing the bumpstops and Reenforce the front track bar and all that. Having your garage filled with others people garage really puts a damper on working in the winter.

Anyways. What I was saying is at rest the track bar is outside of anything it can hit and it's about level with the part of my gas tank it would hit. Making me think it's not the gas tank. Not ruling it out completely because that is a thought also. But the sound also sounds like its coming from the. Back and drivers side. Not pass side where it is close to the tank. I'm going to look at it better tomorrow. But I'm 95% sure it's the axle end making the noise.

I'll check out that link and I know what you mean. But I just mean to get it to stop sliding back and forth inside the bracket. The picture will explain a lot more what I mean. The noise also doesn't happen when I am even turning and the body is rolling. But when I have tension one way an then the other. Even slowin down to a stop (even gently) will make it pop. I think it is just taking tension off the bar and "popping" it back.
__________________
Ryan - A good eye, a light foot, and a smart rig.
Bolt-ons are boring
AMERICAN JEEPER
My Build - http://www.wranglerforum.com/f118/pr...a00-74622.html
Rausch Creek Trip: 2014 Trip Coming Soon
GoldenSahara00 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-26-2012, 07:55 PM   #9
Rock-Rubber

WF Supporting Member
 
GoldenSahara00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SCPA
Posts: 16,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by s3nt3nc3d
I'm getting a pop from my setup...not sure if it's the same issue you're having. Does it do it only on right turns?

What mine does and I haven't had a chance to get under it and track it down...when I first start driving my Jeep, I make a tight right corner and get a quick, "pop!" and then then it's fine until I park it for a while. Seems to me like it may either be rear swaybar, trackbar, or right rear shock/spring. Loose perhaps...

Just curious if our problems are similar so I know where to focus my search.
Yeah I checked shocks first and did all Ujoints and checked to make sure I didn't have slips in the c clamps connecting yokes some how and then looked at the rear sway bar but knew that wasn't it and also checked the track bar clearance. And didn't think it was that. I need to do a full suspension cycle but being my dd I need the time for it. If you tighten the bolt does it go away. You also have the zone kit do you not ? So same bracket same issue ?

And jerry sorry if I confused you but I know it was for a non cv so I thought either my axle somehow was angled up by some witchcraft or the trackbar was twisted.


Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmiller
I don't think clearance is the issue I have the same noise when first get the Jeep going in the morning and that's pulling out of a flat parking spot so no articulation of the axles to cause anything to rub

I could be wrong but I would like to find an answer as well. Bugs me sometimes sounds like something breaking every time lol
Hang in here and well solve it lol. I'm gona work some tomorrow.
__________________
Ryan - A good eye, a light foot, and a smart rig.
Bolt-ons are boring
AMERICAN JEEPER
My Build - http://www.wranglerforum.com/f118/pr...a00-74622.html
Rausch Creek Trip: 2014 Trip Coming Soon
GoldenSahara00 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-26-2012, 08:00 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
jrmiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenSahara00
Hang in here and well solve it lol. I'm gona work some tomorrow.
my first plan was checking the bushing but doesn't seem that's the issue. I'll try tightening mine up and seeing if the noise is gone
jrmiller is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-26-2012, 08:07 PM   #11
Rock-Rubber

WF Supporting Member
 
GoldenSahara00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SCPA
Posts: 16,560
My bushing was worn and it fixed one noise but not the other. Lol.
__________________
Ryan - A good eye, a light foot, and a smart rig.
Bolt-ons are boring
AMERICAN JEEPER
My Build - http://www.wranglerforum.com/f118/pr...a00-74622.html
Rausch Creek Trip: 2014 Trip Coming Soon
GoldenSahara00 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-27-2012, 09:38 AM   #12
Rock-Rubber

WF Supporting Member
 
GoldenSahara00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SCPA
Posts: 16,560
Bracket
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1844175978.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	127.4 KB
ID:	100317   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1938991273.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	146.3 KB
ID:	100318  

__________________
Ryan - A good eye, a light foot, and a smart rig.
Bolt-ons are boring
AMERICAN JEEPER
My Build - http://www.wranglerforum.com/f118/pr...a00-74622.html
Rausch Creek Trip: 2014 Trip Coming Soon
GoldenSahara00 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-27-2012, 10:05 AM   #13
Rock-Rubber

WF Supporting Member
 
GoldenSahara00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SCPA
Posts: 16,560
Torqued down all the bracket bolts and the track bar bolt itself on axle side. Also tightened upper control arm bolt because it seemed loose. Gona go check the frame end stuff now then throw the tire back on.
__________________
Ryan - A good eye, a light foot, and a smart rig.
Bolt-ons are boring
AMERICAN JEEPER
My Build - http://www.wranglerforum.com/f118/pr...a00-74622.html
Rausch Creek Trip: 2014 Trip Coming Soon
GoldenSahara00 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-27-2012, 10:10 AM   #14
Rock-Rubber

WF Supporting Member
 
GoldenSahara00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SCPA
Posts: 16,560
Clearance on gas tank.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2978618186.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	133.1 KB
ID:	100334   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2680341.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	100335  

__________________
Ryan - A good eye, a light foot, and a smart rig.
Bolt-ons are boring
AMERICAN JEEPER
My Build - http://www.wranglerforum.com/f118/pr...a00-74622.html
Rausch Creek Trip: 2014 Trip Coming Soon
GoldenSahara00 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-27-2012, 10:28 AM   #15
Rock-Rubber

WF Supporting Member
 
GoldenSahara00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SCPA
Posts: 16,560
Test drive.
__________________
Ryan - A good eye, a light foot, and a smart rig.
Bolt-ons are boring
AMERICAN JEEPER
My Build - http://www.wranglerforum.com/f118/pr...a00-74622.html
Rausch Creek Trip: 2014 Trip Coming Soon
GoldenSahara00 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-27-2012, 10:32 AM   #16
Rock-Rubber

WF Supporting Member
 
GoldenSahara00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SCPA
Posts: 16,560
Well whatever I did made it a heck of a lot worse. I loosened and re tightened the track bar bolt. I'm gona try and tighten it up more.
__________________
Ryan - A good eye, a light foot, and a smart rig.
Bolt-ons are boring
AMERICAN JEEPER
My Build - http://www.wranglerforum.com/f118/pr...a00-74622.html
Rausch Creek Trip: 2014 Trip Coming Soon
GoldenSahara00 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-27-2012, 11:40 AM   #17
Rock-Rubber

WF Supporting Member
 
GoldenSahara00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SCPA
Posts: 16,560
Track bar bolt won't even tighten any more. So I have tried loosening and checking and tightening and checking for the noise. I used my camera zip tied under the jeep to watch both the shock and track bar bushing and neither one appeared to be the cause. So I checked the control arm bolt I tightened earlier. Gona mess with that more.
__________________
Ryan - A good eye, a light foot, and a smart rig.
Bolt-ons are boring
AMERICAN JEEPER
My Build - http://www.wranglerforum.com/f118/pr...a00-74622.html
Rausch Creek Trip: 2014 Trip Coming Soon
GoldenSahara00 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-27-2012, 11:56 AM   #18
Rock-Rubber

WF Supporting Member
 
GoldenSahara00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SCPA
Posts: 16,560
Loosened up the axle end mount of the rear upper control arm and the noise went away. Kind of ridiculous. I think the bushing is just worn out real bad or something. Unless someone else has another idea. Maybe time to get those new adjustables I have been thinking about.
__________________
Ryan - A good eye, a light foot, and a smart rig.
Bolt-ons are boring
AMERICAN JEEPER
My Build - http://www.wranglerforum.com/f118/pr...a00-74622.html
Rausch Creek Trip: 2014 Trip Coming Soon
GoldenSahara00 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-27-2012, 12:12 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
UnlimitedLJ04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 7,114
you probably overtightened the bolt and trashed the threads. replace both bolts with grade 8 or class 10.9....

the track bar looks way too close to the gas tank skid, and it looks like it would rub on the passenger end by the exhaust...can't tell cause your junk is sooo damn dirty. Also keep in mind the track bar needs to be able move all the way up past the gas tank mounting bolts, and even past the frame mount. The relocation bracket will actually sit very close to the tub floor at full bump. got any full bump pictures?

have you welded on the relocation bracket? If not, remove the relocation bracket and inspect the axle mount for cracks. the bolts on that could be loose or the welds could be cracking. You'll need to clean the jeep off more tho. I welded my relocation bracket on...screw the bolts. and yes, the bushings on the track bar are possibly trashed. check the UCA and LCA's too...did you "reset" the bushings after the lift?
UnlimitedLJ04 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-27-2012, 12:42 PM   #20
Rock-Rubber

WF Supporting Member
 
GoldenSahara00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SCPA
Posts: 16,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnlimitedLJ04
you probably overtightened the bolt and trashed the threads. replace both bolts with grade 8 or class 10.9....

the track bar looks way too close to the gas tank skid, and it looks like it would rub on the passenger end by the exhaust...can't tell cause your junk is sooo damn dirty. Also keep in mind the track bar needs to be able move all the way up past the gas tank mounting bolts, and even past the frame mount. The relocation bracket will actually sit very close to the tub floor at full bump. got any full bump pictures?

have you welded on the relocation bracket? If not, remove the relocation bracket and inspect the axle mount for cracks. the bolts on that could be loose or the welds could be cracking. You'll need to clean the jeep off more tho. I welded my relocation bracket on...screw the bolts. and yes, the bushings on the track bar are possibly trashed. check the UCA and LCA's too...did you "reset" the bushings after the lift?
I never drove with the bolt tightened. Or touched it at all until today. It was fairly loose so I tightened some. Drove 15 feet. It still popped. So I loosened it. And that fixed it. Even when I tightened it, it was barely tighter than before. I highly doubt it was over tightened....


I agree it is slightly too close to the gas tank after looking better today. After looking there is a slight slight rub mark on it. What's the best course of action, bending it back some?

As far as the gas tank bolts etc that all cleared fine before. But like I said I'm goin to do another full bump check in a few weeks to fix that stuff up. The exhaust is gona get cut out and new put in but for not it doesnt rub. It does however rub slightly on one shock. I'm gona have it run a night higher since I have room thanks to the Bl.

Sorry it's dirty. Was up at the mountain wheeling last weekend and it's been messy around here with the winter weather. Gona get her cleaned up again soon one of these days.

The bracket isn't welded on because like I said I don't know what's up with the track bar not fitting in right. I'll examine it sometime if you think that's best.

Would the new track bar by savvy(?) you have been talking about lately fix any of my gas tank clearance issues or not
__________________
Ryan - A good eye, a light foot, and a smart rig.
Bolt-ons are boring
AMERICAN JEEPER
My Build - http://www.wranglerforum.com/f118/pr...a00-74622.html
Rausch Creek Trip: 2014 Trip Coming Soon
GoldenSahara00 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-29-2012, 09:49 PM   #21
Show Me Your 8008135!

WF Supporting Member
 
s3nt3nc3d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Piqua, OH
Posts: 3,641
Send a message via AIM to s3nt3nc3d
Sorry for the late response on this...I was rotating the tires today and first of all, pretty sure I found the source of my pop. BOTH rear trackbar bolts had loosened up. I torqued em down and if they loosen again I'm gonna add some loctite. Your trackbar is pretty crooked compared to mine. Bent perhaps?

I didn't test it at full bump, but it appears to be mounted nice and straight and doesn't look NEARLY as angled as yours is in the pics.

Did you paint your relocation bracket? The one I got from Zone is stainless steel I believe. Whatever it is...it isn't rusted nor is it painted...
__________________
"We don't build great brakes because we think you don't know how to drive, we build them for the guy on the road in front of you that doesn't." - Black Magic Brakes
s3nt3nc3d is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-01-2012, 06:30 AM   #22
Rock-Rubber

WF Supporting Member
 
GoldenSahara00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SCPA
Posts: 16,560
Mines not rusted and yes I did paint it. I couldnt stand that being the only shiny thing on my jeep. Haha. Some pics of your track bar might be useful. I wouldn't be surprised if it was bent. I can pull one or order a new one easily enough.
__________________
Ryan - A good eye, a light foot, and a smart rig.
Bolt-ons are boring
AMERICAN JEEPER
My Build - http://www.wranglerforum.com/f118/pr...a00-74622.html
Rausch Creek Trip: 2014 Trip Coming Soon
GoldenSahara00 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-24-2012, 08:04 AM   #23
Rock-Rubber

WF Supporting Member
 
GoldenSahara00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SCPA
Posts: 16,560
So track bar has been great. That Bushing on the axle end of my upper control arm rear drivers side had the raised bumps worn out and so then had a ton of play. After replacing it it was smooth as heck for a few days, however after a day of wheelin I feel some looseness again do. Maybe just need to get some new arms with better joints in the future.
__________________
Ryan - A good eye, a light foot, and a smart rig.
Bolt-ons are boring
AMERICAN JEEPER
My Build - http://www.wranglerforum.com/f118/pr...a00-74622.html
Rausch Creek Trip: 2014 Trip Coming Soon
GoldenSahara00 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-24-2012, 08:34 AM   #24
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 302
Might be my eyes but when I look at the t-bar at the axle end, it seems like it's touching the bracket on the left side but has a big space on the right side.

Never heard of the raised bumps wearing out. That's a first.....

Are you using blue, or red, locktite on the suspension bolts? If not, you should be.
Muddeprived is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-24-2012, 08:55 AM   #25
Rock-Rubber

WF Supporting Member
 
GoldenSahara00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SCPA
Posts: 16,560
I used them on the track bar the first time everything was installed yes. I have since cycled the whole rear suspension and everything Cycles great. The track bar has been fine since the bushing. And yes it is against one side of that bracket. That was the whole question about it being twisted or the bracket being at an angle. I think I'm gona 3 link my 8.8 so I won't have to worry about the track bar then, and for now it works flawlessly just looks odd.

And yes inside the sleeve there are four raised edges on the inside of the sleeve. Not sure of the correct name but they absorb shock in the instance of a hard hit, by flattening out. I believe they also help the arms rotate easier by creating less surface contact area.

My brackets for the uppers are slotted. Can anyone tell me why? For fine adjustment or another reason.
__________________
Ryan - A good eye, a light foot, and a smart rig.
Bolt-ons are boring
AMERICAN JEEPER
My Build - http://www.wranglerforum.com/f118/pr...a00-74622.html
Rausch Creek Trip: 2014 Trip Coming Soon
GoldenSahara00 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-24-2012, 09:04 AM   #26
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenSahara00 View Post
I used them on the track bar the first time everything was installed yes. I have since cycled the whole rear suspension and everything Cycles great. The track bar has been fine since the bushing. And yes it is against one side of that bracket. That was the whole question about it being twisted or the bracket being at an angle. I think I'm gona 3 link my 8.8 so I won't have to worry about the track bar then, and for now it works flawlessly just looks odd.

And yes inside the sleeve there are four raised edges on the inside of the sleeve. Not sure of the correct name but they absorb shock in the instance of a hard hit, by flattening out. I believe they also help the arms rotate easier by creating less surface contact area.

My brackets for the uppers are slotted. Can anyone tell me why? For fine adjustment or another reason.
Yeah I'm aware of the reason for the bumps cuz the xj has them but the grand cherokee bushings do not (if i remember correctly). I just never heard of them wearing out.

It's been a while since I've worked on a TJ (just got a 99 TJ after 10 years) but usually slotted arm holes use cam bolts to adjust caster. If not, then perhaps the bolt was loose for a period of time causing the bolt hole to widen. Are both brackets like this?

This is a common issue with the front lower axle end trackbar bracket when the bolt loosens up.
Muddeprived is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-24-2012, 09:20 AM   #27
Rock-Rubber

WF Supporting Member
 
GoldenSahara00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SCPA
Posts: 16,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddeprived

Yeah I'm aware of the reason for the bumps cuz the xj has them but the grand cherokee bushings do not (if i remember correctly). I just never heard of them wearing out.

It's been a while since I've worked on a TJ (just got a 99 TJ after 10 years) but usually slotted arm holes use cam bolts to adjust caster. If not, then perhaps the bolt was loose for a period of time causing the bolt hole to widen. Are both brackets like this?

This is a common issue with the front lower axle end trackbar bracket when the bolt loosens up.
Yeah I was surprised when I saw them worn, It might still be at home on the bench if you want to see. And yes, it could have worn out but it doesn't appear so, it was like that from the time I bought the jeep about 18 months ago. I can't specifically recall if the other slide is slotted but I believe it is.

I can see it being a problem with the front but not as common on the rear.
__________________
Ryan - A good eye, a light foot, and a smart rig.
Bolt-ons are boring
AMERICAN JEEPER
My Build - http://www.wranglerforum.com/f118/pr...a00-74622.html
Rausch Creek Trip: 2014 Trip Coming Soon
GoldenSahara00 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-24-2012, 10:17 AM   #28
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 302
Yeah, like I said, it's been 10 years since I've messed with a TJ so maybe they are designed that way. If I wasn't raining I'd go out and check mine.
Muddeprived is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-24-2012, 10:25 AM   #29
Rock-Rubber

WF Supporting Member
 
GoldenSahara00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SCPA
Posts: 16,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddeprived
Yeah, like I said, it's been 10 years since I've messed with a TJ so maybe they are designed that way. If I wasn't raining I'd go out and check mine.
Yep same here. Rain. If I recall correctly they are. The hole looked machined not worn.

__________________
Ryan - A good eye, a light foot, and a smart rig.
Bolt-ons are boring
AMERICAN JEEPER
My Build - http://www.wranglerforum.com/f118/pr...a00-74622.html
Rausch Creek Trip: 2014 Trip Coming Soon
GoldenSahara00 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
anyone else anal about washing the car? Vanne JK General Discussion Forum 29 02-27-2012 12:48 PM
Any body have this locking gas cap with key ignition silverjeep1 JK General Discussion Forum 5 02-26-2012 10:36 PM
Soft Top Question- Rear Window mxman122 JK General Discussion Forum 12 02-26-2012 07:16 PM
Is this a good bb billybob3358 TJ General Discussion Forum 5 02-26-2012 02:46 PM
Anyone have the Smittybilt i-rack? dcaprio JK General Discussion Forum 1 02-26-2012 11:06 AM


logo carid shop wrangler parts carid fender flares custom wheels store avs deflectors at carid

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:39 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC