Votes Please! - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 02-15-2012, 04:29 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
Drock1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
Posts: 830
Votes Please!

Going with a 33/1250 on an o6 TJ Rubicon.
Want either a BFG KM2 or Goodyear Duratrac?
Votes please and Pics would be great!

__________________
2000 sport...gone
2006 Rubicon....gone
2013 Rubicon... Current
Every Jeep is born good, its what you do with it that matters!
Drock1979 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-15-2012, 05:14 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
Dextreme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Oregon City, OR
Posts: 3,946
Images: 1
Both are great tires, but its going to be like voting on "Coke vs Pepsi". Pick the one "you like" based on your driving/terrain/expectations.

__________________
'99 Chilli Pepper TJ Wrangler "Mistress"
33x12.5 DuraTracs
Zone 4.25"
Dextreme is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-15-2012, 05:17 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
Owen_TJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 4,247
i vote duratrac's over the KM2's
Owen_TJ is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-15-2012, 05:17 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
eagle223's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 515
It would help if you described what you were planning to do with your rubi. I've also heard great things about the Goodyear MT/R with Kevlar.
eagle223 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-15-2012, 05:18 PM   #5
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 33,144
Images: 2
We can't give valid useful recommendations until you tell us how you intend to use the tire. Sharp rocks require one type of tire, mud another, sand something else again, and mall-crawling is happy with nearly any type tire.
__________________
When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-15-2012, 05:20 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
TJspeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 3,473
For me and my driving ways and reviews Ive read. Im going with 33x10.5 KM2's
__________________
2000 solar yellow 4.0 sport 3" BDS, 1.25" JKS body lift, 1" Zone motor lift, JKS quicker disconnects, 33x10.5 BFG KM2 on black american racing wheels. D44 rear.

TJspeed is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-15-2012, 05:24 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
Drock1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
Posts: 830
yea, i know. like them both alot. have had bfg ats and like them alot except in mud. Got like 70000miles out of em on my old jeep but want better mud traction and still good road ride. The BFGs are $50+ bucks more each and trying to make sure the duratrac will not let me down just cause im saving some coin. Also, I know alot of peeps run the 33-1250 duratrac on a 15x8 and was planning on the same but am now concerned after Tirerack.com rep refused to mount due to manufacture minimum of 8.5 width rim. Will it really compromise the wear of the tire? Will a 15x10 improve things that much? Think the 15x8 is more common trail gear but want to know whats best? I like the wider look and a 15x10 will stick out about 2 more inches but that may be too much when slinging the mud around.
__________________
2000 sport...gone
2006 Rubicon....gone
2013 Rubicon... Current
Every Jeep is born good, its what you do with it that matters!
Drock1979 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-15-2012, 05:26 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
Drock1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
Posts: 830
Probably 85% road riding (not by choice) and 15% moderate trail riding. I like to push my ride so if rocks, mud, water, etc. are on said trail Im gonna try it within reason as it is my DD.
__________________
2000 sport...gone
2006 Rubicon....gone
2013 Rubicon... Current
Every Jeep is born good, its what you do with it that matters!
Drock1979 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-15-2012, 05:28 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
Drock1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
Posts: 830
The Coke vs. Pepsi is a much easier debate in my book. Which tire is the Coke? lol
__________________
2000 sport...gone
2006 Rubicon....gone
2013 Rubicon... Current
Every Jeep is born good, its what you do with it that matters!
Drock1979 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-15-2012, 05:31 PM   #10
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 33,144
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drock1979 View Post
Probably 85% road riding (not by choice) and 15% moderate trail riding. I like to push my ride so if rocks, mud, water, etc. are on said trail Im gonna try it within reason as it is my DD.
Based on that the KM2 would be a good choice.
__________________
When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-15-2012, 05:37 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
Drock1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
Posts: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Based on that the KM2 would be a good choice.
Thanks Jerry, Could I ask why? is it the side wall thickness? I am concerned about the thin walls of the Duratrac but like the lighter weight. Sorry to question everyone to death!
__________________
2000 sport...gone
2006 Rubicon....gone
2013 Rubicon... Current
Every Jeep is born good, its what you do with it that matters!
Drock1979 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-15-2012, 07:02 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
scot68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 471
I recently did allot of research between Goodrich KM2 and Goodyear MTR Kevlar, both good tires. For rocks I found allot of people liked the MTR Kevlar (you did mention possible rocks in your OP). One thing to consider, apparently the 33” KM2 is actually a slightly smaller diameter then a 33” MTR. Yes the manufacturer's minimum rim width is 8.5" however IMO an 8" rim is fine. Also with a 12.5" width tire on a 8" rim you get better rim beard area protection. These were delivered to me today..

Click image for larger version

Name:	Goodyear 004.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	229.4 KB
ID:	97514

Click image for larger version

Name:	Goodyear 003.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	226.0 KB
ID:	97515
scot68 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-15-2012, 07:09 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
KrzyMoke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: La Marque, TX
Posts: 464
Jerry,

I have a question. I have been looking around where all these people say that the Duratrac's have 2 sidewall but those must be only on the C rated. The E rated are 10 ply so maybe the sidewall is stiffer? I have been searching around and can not find out that tidbit of data. If anyone else has that, it would be appreciated.
__________________
Kimo

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon


Remember to Tread Lightly
KrzyMoke is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-15-2012, 07:20 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
fabrikate_it's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Tulsa, OK
Posts: 458
that may be true but a jeep only needs a C rate tire beside if your that concerned with it the duratrac is not the right choice for you and your intended purpose it is after all just an aggressive AT.
__________________
American born and bred, union 'til I die!
United Association Plumbers and Pipefitters Local 430
PM me if you need a diagram I have All Data Pro access.
fabrikate_it is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-15-2012, 07:42 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
Drock1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
Posts: 830
I dont think there is a 10 ply option for a Duratrac?! If there was or is Id be interested in learning more. Also, supposedly the Duratrac does well on rocks traction wise but have weaker sidewalls that could puncture easier.
__________________
2000 sport...gone
2006 Rubicon....gone
2013 Rubicon... Current
Every Jeep is born good, its what you do with it that matters!
Drock1979 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-15-2012, 08:00 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
KrzyMoke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: La Marque, TX
Posts: 464
Tire rack, TireCrawler, and such sites state the E is a 10 ply but no hard proof from the manufacturer. I am getting KM2's myself since I will be wheeling in SoCal and have seen a friend puncture a tire, replace it with his spare and do it again right in the same spot
__________________
Kimo

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon


Remember to Tread Lightly
KrzyMoke is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-15-2012, 08:01 PM   #17
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 33,144
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drock1979 View Post
Thanks Jerry, Could I ask why? is it the side wall thickness?
It's definitely not the KM2's sidewall which is not all that thick. It's just that the KM2 is a good all around tire, the only terrain I would use one in is where there are sharp rocks on the trail. Its sidewall is fine for nearly anything but sharp rocks that can cut/puncture its sidewall. For sharp rocks, I'm a fan of tires like the GY MT/R and BFG Krawler which is more tire and more $$$ than it sounds like you need.
__________________
When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-15-2012, 08:11 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
Drock1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
Posts: 830
poping 2 in a trip would really SUCK!!! was he using duratracs?
__________________
2000 sport...gone
2006 Rubicon....gone
2013 Rubicon... Current
Every Jeep is born good, its what you do with it that matters!
Drock1979 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-15-2012, 08:13 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
Drock1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
Posts: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
It's definitely not the KM2's sidewall which is not all that thick. It's just that the KM2 is a good all around tire, the only terrain I would use one in is where there are sharp rocks on the trail. Its sidewall is fine for nearly anything but sharp rocks that can cut/puncture its sidewall. For sharp rocks, I'm a fan of tires like the GY MT/R and BFG Krawler which is more tire and more $$$ than it sounds like you need.
Thanks! do the km2 have good tread life?
__________________
2000 sport...gone
2006 Rubicon....gone
2013 Rubicon... Current
Every Jeep is born good, its what you do with it that matters!
Drock1979 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-15-2012, 08:15 PM   #20
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 33,144
Images: 2
The KM2 has an outstanding tread life, I'd expect no less than well over 50K miles on them. Not quite as good as the nearly incredible tread life of the BFG All Terrain KO but still among the best at tread life.
__________________
When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-15-2012, 08:37 PM   #21
Jeeper
 
zdragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by scot68 View Post
I recently did allot of research between Goodrich KM2 and Goodyear MTR Kevlar, both good tires. For rocks I found allot of people liked the MTR Kevlar (you did mention possible rocks in your OP). One thing to consider, apparently the 33 KM2 is actually a slightly smaller diameter then a 33 MTR. Yes the manufacturer's minimum rim width is 8.5" however IMO an 8" rim is fine. Also with a 12.5" width tire on a 8" rim you get better rim beard area protection. These were delivered to me today..

Attachment 97514

Attachment 97515
those are good looking tires...let us know how they balance on the wheels.
zdragon is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-15-2012, 10:27 PM   #22
Jeeper
 
Drock1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
Posts: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
The KM2 has an outstanding tread life, I'd expect no less than well over 50K miles on them. Not quite as good as the nearly incredible tread life of the BFG All Terrain KO but still among the best at tread life.
Yes the AT tread life rocks! I am partial to BFG due to my history with the AT. How about the life of a duratrac? anyone got over 50000 on them?
__________________
2000 sport...gone
2006 Rubicon....gone
2013 Rubicon... Current
Every Jeep is born good, its what you do with it that matters!
Drock1979 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-15-2012, 10:35 PM   #23
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
B.B.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Lakeland, FL
Posts: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drock1979 View Post
Probably 85% road riding (not by choice) and 15% moderate trail riding. I like to push my ride so if rocks, mud, water, etc. are on said trail Im gonna try it within reason as it is my DD.

Based on that ratio, I would definitely go with Duratracs and rolls the dices and takes my chances on the 15% of "moderate" trail riding......I just came off of a set of MT/R's Kevlars that only have 4k on them...I hated the ride and the noise.... The MT/R's are FS in the classifieds by the way............Good Luck in your choice !
__________________


'06 TJ Rubi Bright Silver Auto .....A KEEPER !!!
B.B. is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-15-2012, 10:42 PM   #24
Jeeper
 
Drock1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
Posts: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.B. View Post
Based on that ratio, I would definitely go with Duratracs and rolls the dices and takes my chances on the 15% of "moderate" trail riding......I just came off of a set of MT/R's Kevlars that only have 4k on them...I hated the ride and the noise.... The MT/R's are FS in the classifieds by the way............Good Luck in your choice !
Thanks, what are you riding on now? Duratracs? If so how is the noise, ride?
__________________
2000 sport...gone
2006 Rubicon....gone
2013 Rubicon... Current
Every Jeep is born good, its what you do with it that matters!
Drock1979 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-15-2012, 10:46 PM   #25
Jeeper
 
blue6tj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: South Florida
Posts: 550
I'm a BFG fan so go with the KM2's, Good Year SUCKS!
__________________
[B]2006 Jeep Unlimited RE Express 4 1/2" Lift, JKS 1.25" BL, 37x14.50R15, Toyo Open Country Tires, Tom Woods Drive Shafts, SYE Kit, D30/D44 4.88 Gears, Warn 8000 lb Winch, Cobra CB, Viair On-Board Air, Bushwacker Flat Fenders, and Lots of light
blue6tj is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-15-2012, 10:51 PM   #26
Jeeper
 
blue6tj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: South Florida
Posts: 550
See pic for Good Year Tires...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	51X9ViL4iSL.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	97570  
__________________
[B]2006 Jeep Unlimited RE Express 4 1/2" Lift, JKS 1.25" BL, 37x14.50R15, Toyo Open Country Tires, Tom Woods Drive Shafts, SYE Kit, D30/D44 4.88 Gears, Warn 8000 lb Winch, Cobra CB, Viair On-Board Air, Bushwacker Flat Fenders, and Lots of light
blue6tj is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-15-2012, 11:49 PM   #27
Jeeper
 
Drock1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
Posts: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue6tj View Post
See pic for Good Year Tires...
now thats funny!
__________________
2000 sport...gone
2006 Rubicon....gone
2013 Rubicon... Current
Every Jeep is born good, its what you do with it that matters!
Drock1979 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-16-2012, 10:16 AM   #28
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
B.B.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Lakeland, FL
Posts: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue6tj View Post
I'm a BFG fan so go with the KM2's, Good Year SUCKS!

I guess you have your answer Drock !! blue6tj is a big bfg fan so that should justify your decision....oh, and he added the fact that gy sucks....now that would certainly make my mind up !!! LOL

Now for a more technical and practical approach, the un-sprung weight of the km2 is 58 lbs. Both the KM2 and the DT are load rated C tires in the 33 12.50 15 size, so I would consider them both to have the 6 ply "equivalent" strength in the sidewall. Both have a 2205 lb max load rating and 35psi max inflation pressure. The un-sprung weight of the DT is 49 lbs. of which one could easily argue the km2 is better, however this is a case where less is better for performance, maybe not longevity. Un-sprung weight is much more critical in everyday operation of the vehicle than suspended weight for a multitude of reasons, the biggest being inertia. The total un-sprung weight is 36 lbs. less with the DT's plus 9 lbs. of suspended weight less for the spare!!

Now comes my opinion!! LOL.....
The km2's that I have experienced on friends vehicles are great when new, but after 6k or 8k miles, they tend to get louder, as all of the terrain-design tires do, not just the km2's. The km2 will likely give more overall miles of service if you can stand the roar. It is truly a "terrain" tire, whereas the DT is more of an aggressive all-terrain tire.

I currently have the DT's and love the less inertia in starting and stopping, as I tend to do that daily. I only get to wheel once or twice a month; It's that ratio thing you mentioned 85:15... I absolutely am sold on the DT's until something comes up down the road to change my mind....They ride smooth, took very little weight to balance out, and are quiet as my E350 on the highway. Perform great in mud, rain, snow ( hit a little in Maggie Valley) and I cannot comment on rocks yet. Ask me after Easter as I will be in Moab......

It is obvious both units are very good choices, and neither really "suck" as indicated above.

I hope this helps your decision, and be happy with whatever you choose....Good Luck.......




__________________


'06 TJ Rubi Bright Silver Auto .....A KEEPER !!!
B.B. is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-16-2012, 12:54 PM   #29
Jeeper
 
Drock1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
Posts: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.B. View Post
I guess you have your answer Drock !! blue6tj is a big bfg fan so that should justify your decision....oh, and he added the fact that gy sucks....now that would certainly make my mind up !!! LOL

Now for a more technical and practical approach, the un-sprung weight of the km2 is 58 lbs. Both the KM2 and the DT are load rated C tires in the 33 12.50 15 size, so I would consider them both to have the 6 ply "equivalent" strength in the sidewall. Both have a 2205 lb max load rating and 35psi max inflation pressure. The un-sprung weight of the DT is 49 lbs. of which one could easily argue the km2 is better, however this is a case where less is better for performance, maybe not longevity. Un-sprung weight is much more critical in everyday operation of the vehicle than suspended weight for a multitude of reasons, the biggest being inertia. The total un-sprung weight is 36 lbs. less with the DT's plus 9 lbs. of suspended weight less for the spare!!

Now comes my opinion!! LOL.....
The km2's that I have experienced on friends vehicles are great when new, but after 6k or 8k miles, they tend to get louder, as all of the terrain-design tires do, not just the km2's. The km2 will likely give more overall miles of service if you can stand the roar. It is truly a "terrain" tire, whereas the DT is more of an aggressive all-terrain tire.

I currently have the DT's and love the less inertia in starting and stopping, as I tend to do that daily. I only get to wheel once or twice a month; It's that ratio thing you mentioned 85:15... I absolutely am sold on the DT's until something comes up down the road to change my mind....They ride smooth, took very little weight to balance out, and are quiet as my E350 on the highway. Perform great in mud, rain, snow ( hit a little in Maggie Valley) and I cannot comment on rocks yet. Ask me after Easter as I will be in Moab......

It is obvious both units are very good choices, and neither really "suck" as indicated above.

I hope this helps your decision, and be happy with whatever you choose....Good Luck.......




Love it! Thank you for taking the time to put so much info in your response. I have always loved BFG and never really had any experience with Goodyear but think the positive reviews everywhere and the supposed great traction in all conditions plus the $40 or so less per tire and the less weight have started to make me lean towards the DT. Again thanks.
BlueTJ still like the post! And love the jeep, it looks great. I did notice however you are running Dicks on your wheels
__________________
2000 sport...gone
2006 Rubicon....gone
2013 Rubicon... Current
Every Jeep is born good, its what you do with it that matters!
Drock1979 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-16-2012, 01:23 PM   #30
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Andalusia, AL
Posts: 544
I vote for Goodyear

dirt dawber is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Tags
tires wheels advice , tj forum

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Manual (6-Speed) JK Owners :: Please Vote :: Problems / No-Problems Rooster76 JK General Discussion Forum 275 11-04-2014 03:55 PM
Sign please Colo-TJ Colorado Jeep Forum 21 02-28-2012 10:42 AM
Help please! 305/70/16 GN-006 CHERUDIM GUNDAM Tires & Wheels 8 02-16-2012 07:01 PM
Jeep nightmares... Please help! biffdumas YJ Tech Forum 6 02-16-2012 07:52 AM
rear diff help please bakerboys YJ Tech Forum 4 02-16-2012 04:03 AM



Download our Mobile App

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:19 PM.



Jeep, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC