What axles to put with 35" tires? - Page 2 - Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 05-09-2012, 08:17 PM   #31
Newb
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 3
I have a question..... I just bought a ford 8.8 with a 3.73ratio to replace my D35c with 3.07 on the rear, what should I use on the front to even the ratio out? i know I can't keep the D30 on the front

loomisman is offline   Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:49 PM   #32
Jeeper
 
LilYeller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: South Florida U.S.A
Posts: 2,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by loomisman View Post
I have a question..... I just bought a ford 8.8 with a 3.73ratio to replace my D35c with 3.07 on the rear, what should I use on the front to even the ratio out? i know I can't keep the D30 on the front
Why not? The way I understand it is that unless you are really torturing your Jeep the D30 generally wont be under enough stress to become an issue. The D30 is a decent front end and can withstand locked 35's. Plus they sell a 3.73 ratio for the front so unless you want to change the axle up front just to have something better, I'd say save some cash for other mods. Just an opinion and Im no expert, just relaying my limited knowledge and what I decided was best for me.

__________________

Random Guy: "Is there anywhere that thing cant go?"
Me: "Yea, past a gas station..."

Build thread: My Lil' Yeller Jeep, Paracord Grab handles ~ how to make your own
Keep on Jeepin on!
LilYeller is offline   Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:05 PM   #33
Rock-Rubber

WF Supporting Member
 
GoldenSahara00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SCPA
Posts: 16,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilYeller

Why not? The way I understand it is that unless you are really torturing your Jeep the D30 generally wont be under enough stress to become an issue. The D30 is a decent front end and can withstand locked 35's. Plus they sell a 3.73 ratio for the front so unless you want to change the axle up front just to have something better, I'd say save some cash for other mods. Just an opinion and Im no expert, just relaying my limited knowledge and what I decided was best for me.
X2

I would actually swap to another d30 or hp30 with 3.73s in it. Much cheaper.
__________________
Ryan - A good eye, a light foot, and a smart rig.
Bolt-ons are boring
AMERICAN JEEPER
My Build - http://www.wranglerforum.com/f118/pr...a00-74622.html
Rausch Creek Trip: 2014 Trip Coming Soon
GoldenSahara00 is offline   Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:11 PM   #34
Newb
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 3
ok thanks
loomisman is offline   Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:43 PM   #35
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 29
$4500 is alot .I think it's like a 1/2" shorter so 1/4" on each side . You won't even notice it . I got mine from ECGS for around $1500 that's with a lock rite . The stock shafts are pretty strong as it is so I did not opt for them , used breaks , 4.10, and a solid diff cover is what I think I went with . Put it in the jeep by myself in a day .i wheel pretty hard on 35" Baja claws and haven't busted a stock 8.8 shaft yet .
liredneck is offline   Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:46 PM   #36
Rock-Rubber

WF Supporting Member
 
GoldenSahara00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SCPA
Posts: 16,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by liredneck
$4500 is alot .I think it's like a 1/2" shorter so 1/4" on each side . You won't even notice it . I got mine from ECGS for around $1500 that's with a lock rite . The stock shafts are pretty strong as it is so I did not opt for them , used breaks , 4.10, and a solid diff cover is what I think I went with . Put it in the jeep by myself in a day .i wheel pretty hard on 35" Baja claws and haven't busted a stock 8.8 shaft yet .
Correct stock 88 shafts are good up to at least 37s locked.
__________________
Ryan - A good eye, a light foot, and a smart rig.
Bolt-ons are boring
AMERICAN JEEPER
My Build - http://www.wranglerforum.com/f118/pr...a00-74622.html
Rausch Creek Trip: 2014 Trip Coming Soon
GoldenSahara00 is offline   Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:28 PM   #37
Jeeper
 
AUSTIN B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by liredneck
$4500 is alot .I think it's like a 1/2" shorter so 1/4" on each side . You won't even notice it . I got mine from ECGS for around $1500 that's with a lock rite . The stock shafts are pretty strong as it is so I did not opt for them , used breaks , 4.10, and a solid diff cover is what I think I went with . Put it in the jeep by myself in a day .i wheel pretty hard on 35" Baja claws and haven't busted a stock 8.8 shaft yet .
I got that price figuring everything new.. But if I don't need it all new $1500 is awesome... I was just worried about getting used stuff.. I didn't know what kind of shape they would be in...
AUSTIN B is offline   Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:40 PM   #38
Jeeper
 
AUSTIN B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 19
One more dumb question... You say you put a lock rite.... How does that compare to an air locker? And will it affect my on road driving? ...
AUSTIN B is offline   Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 11:36 PM   #39
Jeeper
 
CMA_Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Hixson, TN
Posts: 3,171
Send a message via Yahoo to CMA_Rider
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUSTIN B
One more dumb question... You say you put a lock rite.... How does that compare to an air locker? And will it affect my on road driving? ...
Lock rite is a auto locker which uses torque from the drivetrain to lock it which means as long as your foot is on the gas its locked.
Air locker is a selectable locker which means you flip a switch and as long as the switch is flipped its locked, when its unlocked it acts as an open differential.
An auto locker will effect on road drive ability, you may hear your tires chirp in corners an it will put more stress on your axel but its still drivable on the street you will just have to learn and adapt to it.
__________________
2003 White TJ Sport 4.0 5 speed D44 w/ Aussie Locker 3.73 tow pkg 3"BDS, 6" LA RC 2.2 Shocks 1.25bl 1.25mml 33x12.50r15
2001 customized Suzuki Intruder 1500 100hp Harley Killer
70 CJ5 Build
CMA_Rider is offline   Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:31 AM   #40
Jeeper
 
deucestudios's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Malvern, PA
Posts: 227
I know you said money ain't a thing, but the last 8.8 I bought was $73. Seventy three bucks. If you're gonna spend $4500, I'll shoot you my paypal number, I'll pull one at the local yard here, buy a plane ticket for me, and one for it, and come drop it in your rig myself hahaha
I would bet there's a few offroad shops around you that would do the bracket welding. Ya might want to find a local 4x4 shop, and just go talk with them, or start up an email conversation with them. For $1500 I would think they could get you pretty close to bolted in with a selectable and 4.88s to match, maybe $2000 if they're doing all the work, including brake lines & new rotors & such.
If you got the cash, do it, ditch the 35 and never look back.
Artec's truss kit is pretty sweet.

Yes a lockrite will pop & unload through turns on the street, you probably want selectable, or, consider keeping the stock ford LSD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenSahara00 View Post
X2

I would actually swap to another d30 or hp30 with 3.73s in it. Much cheaper.
3.73 is/was a very rare gear count in Cherokee's,a lot more common in TJ/LJs, that's gonna be a tough one to find.

But you're right man, OP's got deep pockets.
deucestudios is offline   Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:41 PM   #41
Jeeper
 
AUSTIN B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 19
Ok after doing lots of research I'm going to keep my d30 up front and maybe throw some upgraded shafts and an ox locker up front but in the rear would I be better with a d44 with chromoly shafts an ox locker and disk breaks or an 8.8 with stock shafts ox locker and disk breaks? ... I decided on the ox because I want it to be Manual ( less to go wrong ) and I don't wanna mess with air compressors... And I also want it as drivable as possible on the road....
AUSTIN B is offline   Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:52 PM   #42
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 36,685
If you think connecting an air compressor and switch to a locker is too difficult, then you won't like installing the Ox's shifter and its stiff cable either. Not to mention the vast majority of pro competitors run ARBs and darned few run Ox lockers. I think there were 90+ ARBs but only 2-3 Ox lockers in the last King of the Hammers event.
__________________
When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 01:34 AM   #43
Jeeper
 
AUSTIN B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 19
Installation isn't the problem...I was mainly wanting the most reliable... I figured a manual ox would have less things to go wrong... Am I wrong? I am just trying to build my jeep as reliable as possible but I don't know much about them that's why I'm on here getting ideas...
AUSTIN B is offline   Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 03:08 PM   #44
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 29
He used breakes I got were almost new . I've been running them for over a year now and still don't need to change them . ECGS won't send you crap parts their good guys over there.
liredneck is offline   Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 10:14 PM   #45
Jeeper
 
ShakaZulu8402's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUSTIN B
Installation isn't the problem...I was mainly wanting the most reliable... I figured a manual ox would have less things to go wrong... Am I wrong? I am just trying to build my jeep as reliable as possible but I don't know much about them that's why I'm on here getting ideas...
You would be hard pressed to find a more reliable and reputable locker than ARB.
ShakaZulu8402 is offline   Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 07:05 AM   #46
Jeeper
 
AUSTIN B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 19
Cool deal ARB it is then... Thanks ... Y'all are a huge help!
AUSTIN B is offline   Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 06:44 PM   #47
Jeeper
 
wfluedtke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Mosinee
Posts: 333
[QUOTE=Cons_Table;2218945]As far as front axles go, the stock axle is good up to 35s...and if necessary you can swap in chromoly shafts. Some people will swap in a HP30 in front because they are a little stronger than the stock D30. The only time it's really necessary to swap in a D44 up front is if you have to go with deeper gears than 4.88s. Some transmission/engine combos require a deeper gearing to put the jeep back into the stock powerband.QUOTE]

Why would the stock front axle be good up to 35s but the back not. I'm not second guessing you, I just want to know. This information could really speed up my time frame for upgrading axles and regearing if I don't need to purchase front axles.
__________________
~Ecclesiastes 9:7
wfluedtke is offline   Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 06:49 PM   #48
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 36,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfluedtke View Post
Why would the stock front axle be good up to 35s but the back not.
Because the front axle never receives more than about 50% of the load/stress that the rear axle sees on a regular basis.
__________________
When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 07:36 PM   #49
Jeeper
 
wfluedtke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Mosinee
Posts: 333
Cool, thanks Jerry.
__________________
~Ecclesiastes 9:7
wfluedtke is offline   Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 08:48 PM   #50
Jeeper
 
wfluedtke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Mosinee
Posts: 333
Would the D30 front axle be able to take the torque if it was regeared to a 4.56? I'm only looking at going to 33s but you never know. I'm just thinking ahead. While I'm on that subject, what brand would you recomend for the gears? I was looking at Motive.
__________________
~Ecclesiastes 9:7
wfluedtke is offline   Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 11:20 PM   #51
Jeeper
 
krisbman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Cheshire Oregon
Posts: 9,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfluedtke View Post
Would the D30 front axle be able to take the torque if it was regeared to a 4.56? I'm only looking at going to 33s but you never know. I'm just thinking ahead. While I'm on that subject, what brand would you recomend for the gears? I was looking at Motive.
Yup. But if theres a possibility of going to 35's then most just say go with the 4.88's which is the deepest you can go in a D30 as of now. Ive heard some rumors of a company making 5.13's for the D30 but dont qoute me
krisbman is offline   Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 11:39 PM   #52
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 36,685
I'd go Revolution Gear and Axle for the gears, and they're the company testing 5.13 for D30 axles.

Revolution Gear and Axle Offers the Precision Quality Ring and Pinions

Wfluedtdk, 4.56 would be fine in the D30. 4.88 is commonly installed in that axle for 35" tires. I ran 4.88 with 35's for years when I had a D30 up front.
__________________
When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 11:01 AM   #53
Jeeper
 
nathan36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Tomball, Texas
Posts: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
I'd go Revolution Gear and Axle for the gears, and they're the company testing 5.13 for D30 axles. Revolution Gear and Axle Offers the Precision Quality Ring and Pinions Wfluedtdk, 4.56 would be fine in the D30. 4.88 is commonly installed in that axle for 35" tires. I ran 4.88 with 35's for years when I had a D30 up front.
do you know when the 5.13 gears are going to be available for the TJ/LJ dana 30? Is it worth waiting to get those instead of 4.88? I have the 42rle and about to put on 35's!
__________________
2005 LJ Wrangler - 42RLE - Dana 30/44 - Kenwood Head Unit - Kicker Roll Bar Speakers - Zone 4.25" Combo - TeraFlex 3/4" Spacers - Zone Quick Discos - MetalCloak Adjustable Trac Bar - Currie Ultimate Steering Kit - VANCO BBK 15" - 35x12.5x15 Goodyear MTR W/Kevlar - 15x8 Ion Alloy 174
nathan36 is offline   Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 11:24 AM   #54
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 36,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan36 View Post
do you know when the 5.13 gears are going to be available for the TJ/LJ dana 30? Is it worth waiting to get those instead of 4.88? I have the 42rle and about to put on 35's!
4.88 is not really low enough for 35's when you have the 42RLE, I'd wait for the 5.13 gears. I have 4.88 gears with 35's and the same 42RLE transmission, it's not a fun combination on the street... the engine is always on the verge of lugging. No idea when the 5.13s will be available, I do know they have some installed and are in the middle of tests.
__________________
When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 08:50 PM   #55
Jeeper
 
nathan36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Tomball, Texas
Posts: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
4.88 is not really low enough for 35's when you have the 42RLE, I'd wait for the 5.13 gears. I have 4.88 gears with 35's and the same 42RLE transmission, it's not a fun combination on the street... the engine is always on the verge of lugging. No idea when the 5.13s will be available, I do know they have some installed and are in the middle of tests.
I guess I'll wait for the 5.13's then! One question though, will I do any harm to the transmission for running 35s on 3.73 on an LJ? I'll just keep the over-drive button off. But would I be able to run it like that without doing harm for a couple months until the 5.13's are released?

__________________
2005 LJ Wrangler - 42RLE - Dana 30/44 - Kenwood Head Unit - Kicker Roll Bar Speakers - Zone 4.25" Combo - TeraFlex 3/4" Spacers - Zone Quick Discos - MetalCloak Adjustable Trac Bar - Currie Ultimate Steering Kit - VANCO BBK 15" - 35x12.5x15 Goodyear MTR W/Kevlar - 15x8 Ion Alloy 174
nathan36 is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The last person to post in this thread wins.... 02Prove Off-Topic 272156 Today 06:59 AM
TJ to LJ swap????? lawndog TJ General Discussion Forum 6 04-19-2012 03:55 PM
Help with tires Dapointa77 JK General Discussion Forum 3 04-04-2012 09:40 AM
decided to paint my bumper/skid plates today. Kohrs93 YJ General Discussion Forum 21 04-04-2012 07:19 AM
What have I done!!! Jeepa JK General Discussion Forum 29 04-04-2012 01:03 AM



Download our Mobile App

» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:33 AM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2015 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC