What I did to my TJ today - Page 399 - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 12-14-2012, 09:43 PM   #11941
Jeeper
 
MiniMe1969's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Posts: 141
Registered for the Jeep Jamboree at the Pine Barrens in New Jersey, 21 - 23 March 2013. I need a few days of Jeep therapy.....

MiniMe1969 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-14-2012, 10:33 PM   #11942
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Southern Illinois
Posts: 60
Finally got around to extracting the plug out of my transfer case. Just a heads up, these plugs do not need to be tightened nearly as tight as my SYE installer thought. . It seems that if you lay your Jeep on its side, some of the fluid will run out of the vent. I got the plug out with and easy out and put tranny fluid back in, and I am good to go again.
Attached Images
 

tj_guy99 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-14-2012, 10:47 PM   #11943
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by tj_guy99 View Post
Finally got around to extracting the plug out of my transfer case. Just a heads up, these plugs do not need to be tightened nearly as tight as my SYE installer thought. . It seems that if you lay your Jeep on its side, some of the fluid will run out of the vent. I got the plug out with and easy out and put tranny fluid back in, and I am good to go again.
Tranny fluid in transfer case? That's not good.
Synolimit is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-14-2012, 11:00 PM   #11944
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Southern Illinois
Posts: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synolimit View Post
Tranny fluid in transfer case? That's not good.

What would you suggest that I use in my transfer case?
tj_guy99 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-14-2012, 11:07 PM   #11945
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by tj_guy99 View Post
What would you suggest that I use in my transfer case?
An ATF fluid like you're supposed to.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/g...r-case-793507/
Synolimit is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-14-2012, 11:12 PM   #11946
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Southern Illinois
Posts: 60
ATF4 like Chrysler recommends. That is the same stuff that I use in my tranny er transmission. I hope i havent done any harm.
I think I will be fine. Now I wish I could get out and play tomorrow, but plans with the family will not allow it.
tj_guy99 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-14-2012, 11:18 PM   #11947
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by tj_guy99 View Post
ATF4 like Chrysler recommends. That is the same stuff that I use in my tranny er transmission. I hope i havent done any harm.
I think I will be fine. Now I wish I could get out and play tomorrow, but plans with the family will not allow it.
Er? U use ATF in tranny and gear oil in t case??

I'd switch those. Unless u have an auto tranny.

Diffs need a GL5, tranny needs a GL4, t case needs ATF, auto tranny needs ATF.
Synolimit is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-15-2012, 01:08 AM   #11948
Jeeper
 
NorthIdahome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 67
Just driving down the road and got spun backwards on the ice and stalled it.....now the check engine light is on. Does anybody have any ideas?
NorthIdahome is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-15-2012, 01:47 AM   #11949
Jeeper
 
InvertChaos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NoVa
Posts: 7,917
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthIdahome View Post
Just driving down the road and got spun backwards on the ice and stalled it.....now the check engine light is on. Does anybody have any ideas?
Throwing any codes?
__________________
|2004 Jeep TJ "Green Machine"|4.0L 5 speed Dana44|33x12.50x15 Goodyear Duratracs|2.5" RC coils + 1.25" body lift|OME NitroSport shocks|4.56 gears|Skid Row Engine Skid|BCC Sliders|Currie AntiRock|
InvertChaos is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-15-2012, 01:50 AM   #11950
Jeeper
 
NorthIdahome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 67
As in off of a diagnostic computer? I'm a noob so you'll have to use dumby terms
NorthIdahome is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-15-2012, 02:00 AM   #11951
Jeeper
 
InvertChaos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NoVa
Posts: 7,917
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthIdahome View Post
As in off of a diagnostic computer? I'm a noob so you'll have to use dumby terms
Nope, hold the trip reset key then turn the key from on to off three times and on the third time leave it at "on" and release the trip reset button. Your gauges and lights will go wild, then the odometer will display codes.
__________________
|2004 Jeep TJ "Green Machine"|4.0L 5 speed Dana44|33x12.50x15 Goodyear Duratracs|2.5" RC coils + 1.25" body lift|OME NitroSport shocks|4.56 gears|Skid Row Engine Skid|BCC Sliders|Currie AntiRock|
InvertChaos is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-15-2012, 02:17 AM   #11952
Jeeper
 
NorthIdahome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 67
Counted from 0 to 9 with the gauges and lights going crazy then stopped at my mileage: 145226

And now I feel like a super secret code breaker
NorthIdahome is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-15-2012, 06:39 AM   #11953
Jeeper
 
srad600's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Tabernacle, NJ
Posts: 1,712
That dash code trick stops with the 97s doesn't it? Or is that just with the xjs?

Then again I don't have to hold trip unless I'm testing my gauge cluster. Just the key gets me codes so maybe that's how he has to get the codes?
__________________
The Budget Brawler. AKA Berta
97 sport 4.0 5 spd
6" Long arm 35" MTRs
HP30-Eaton E locker D44-Detroit locker-4.88 Ten Factory Chromo shafts.
KC/Hella, Engo 12k, LED rock lights, "train" horns, Home made-Hand Throttle, OBA, Etc etc.
srad600 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-15-2012, 07:48 AM   #11954
Jeeper
 
wwch99tj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Felton Delaware
Posts: 4,941
Quote:
Originally Posted by srad600 View Post
That dash code trick stops with the 97s doesn't it? Or is that just with the xjs?

Then again I don't have to hold trip unless I'm testing my gauge cluster. Just the key gets me codes so maybe that's how he has to get the codes?
The code trick works on 97 and 2000-up wranglers...
wwch99tj is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-15-2012, 08:04 AM   #11955
Jeeper
 
wwch99tj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Felton Delaware
Posts: 4,941
Quote:
Originally Posted by tj_guy99 View Post
Finally got around to extracting the plug out of my transfer case. Just a heads up, these plugs do not need to be tightened nearly as tight as my SYE installer thought. . It seems that if you lay your Jeep on its side, some of the fluid will run out of the vent. I got the plug out with and easy out and put tranny fluid back in, and I am good to go again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synolimit View Post

Tranny fluid in transfer case? That's not good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synolimit View Post

An ATF fluid like you're supposed to.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/g...r-case-793507/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synolimit View Post

Er? U use ATF in tranny and gear oil in t case??

I'd switch those. Unless u have an auto tranny.

Diffs need a GL5, tranny needs a GL4, t case needs ATF, auto tranny needs ATF.
Dude you just confused this guy for absolutely no reason at all...
He has an automatic trans not a manual so he used the correct fluid if he put it in his transmission or transfer case...
wwch99tj is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-15-2012, 08:52 AM   #11956
Jeeper
 
srad600's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Tabernacle, NJ
Posts: 1,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwch99tj View Post

The code trick works on 97 and 2000-up wranglers...
Ahh ok. I knew it doesn't work on my brothers new to him 99 xj.
__________________
The Budget Brawler. AKA Berta
97 sport 4.0 5 spd
6" Long arm 35" MTRs
HP30-Eaton E locker D44-Detroit locker-4.88 Ten Factory Chromo shafts.
KC/Hella, Engo 12k, LED rock lights, "train" horns, Home made-Hand Throttle, OBA, Etc etc.
srad600 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-15-2012, 09:04 AM   #11957
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Southern Illinois
Posts: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwch99tj View Post
Dude you just confused this guy for absolutely no reason at all...
He has an automatic trans not a manual so he used the correct fluid if he put it in his transmission or transfer case...
I wasnt confused. I thought it was interesting that I was corrected for putting "tranny fluid" in. I wasnt quite sure where that would all end up. I think I am adequately straight on this topic now I do have an automatic transmission, but that is irrelevant because I pulled the plug from the transfer case.
tj_guy99 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-15-2012, 10:53 AM   #11958
Jeeper
 
wwch99tj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Felton Delaware
Posts: 4,941
Quote:
Originally Posted by tj_guy99 View Post

I wasnt confused. I thought it was interesting that I was corrected for putting "tranny fluid" in. I wasnt quite sure where that would all end up. I think I am adequately straight on this topic now I do have an automatic transmission, but that is irrelevant because I pulled the plug from the transfer case.
I thought it was pretty interesting myself
wwch99tj is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-15-2012, 11:12 AM   #11959
Jeeper
 
iiTMRii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 118
Fed Ex delivered a Christmas present. Cant put them on the Jeep til Christmas Day though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1295160297.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	187711  
iiTMRii is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-15-2012, 12:11 PM   #11960
Jeeper
 
DBoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: The Big D
Posts: 1,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiTMRii View Post
Fed Ex delivered a Christmas present. Cant put them on the Jeep til Christmas Day though.
You will love them.. I have them on two vehicles.. there are some on the board that will say otherwise though..
DBoat is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-15-2012, 12:20 PM   #11961
Jeeper
 
NorthIdahome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthIdahome View Post
Counted from 0 to 9 with the gauges and lights going crazy then stopped at my mileage: 145226

And now I feel like a super secret code breaker
Any ideas? Is this even a code?
NorthIdahome is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-15-2012, 12:25 PM   #11962
Jeeper
 
iiTMRii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBoat

You will love them.. I have them on two vehicles.. there are some on the board that will say otherwise though..
I opened them up and check them out. I don't see what they could complain about. Good to here a nice review though.
iiTMRii is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-15-2012, 12:34 PM   #11963
Jeeper
 
wwch99tj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Felton Delaware
Posts: 4,941
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthIdahome View Post

Any ideas? Is this even a code?
No that was just the gauge diagnostics
What year?
The key trick doesn't work on 98 & 99 models.
wwch99tj is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-15-2012, 12:39 PM   #11964
Jeeper
 
NorthIdahome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwch99tj View Post

no that was just the gauge diagnostics
what year?
The key trick doesn't work on 98 & 99 models.
97
NorthIdahome is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-15-2012, 12:56 PM   #11965
Jeeper
 
srad600's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Tabernacle, NJ
Posts: 1,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthIdahome View Post

97
Do the key cycling with out holding down the trip. That's for gauge diagnostics. Just cycle the key holding it on the third time. Then search here for a list of the engine codes.
__________________
The Budget Brawler. AKA Berta
97 sport 4.0 5 spd
6" Long arm 35" MTRs
HP30-Eaton E locker D44-Detroit locker-4.88 Ten Factory Chromo shafts.
KC/Hella, Engo 12k, LED rock lights, "train" horns, Home made-Hand Throttle, OBA, Etc etc.
srad600 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-15-2012, 01:00 PM   #11966
Jeeper
 
NorthIdahome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by srad600 View Post

Do the key cycling with out holding down the trip. That's for gauge diagnostics. Just cycle the key holding it on the third time. Then search here for a list of the engine codes.
Awesome will do. Thanks
NorthIdahome is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-15-2012, 02:07 PM   #11967
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by tj_guy99 View Post
I wasnt confused. I thought it was interesting that I was corrected for putting "tranny fluid" in. I wasnt quite sure where that would all end up. I think I am adequately straight on this topic now I do have an automatic transmission, but that is irrelevant because I pulled the plug from the transfer case.
Yet others could be. When not stating what you drive or what the actually fluid is you can hurt other people. This may sound silly and you may laugh but when talking on the Internet where other people including newbs will read you have to post correctly. Wouldn't you feel bad hurting other people's stuff by posting inaccurate information? Again you think it's silly but just say what you put in that's on the bottle and everyone will be ok. And if you put in GL4-GL5 gear lube I was hoping to save you. At 49 posts I don't know how much you know.
Synolimit is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-15-2012, 06:52 PM   #11968
Jeeper
 
jeepmonkey06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Louisville
Posts: 641
Images: 2
Finally got around to installing reverse lights.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20121215_185136.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	156.1 KB
ID:	187803  
__________________
*BIGCHEESE*
jeepmonkey06 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-15-2012, 07:38 PM   #11969
Jeepin' aint easy

WF Supporting Member
 
WranglerWarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Sanger
Posts: 4,349
Send a message via Skype™ to WranglerWarrior
Got a steering wheel cover from mother in law for Christmas. Mine was tearing up bad


Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2205241643.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	187816
__________________
Keep on Jeepin' on!
WranglerWarrior is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-15-2012, 08:11 PM   #11970
Jeeper
 
JVLemur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: California
Posts: 4,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by WranglerWarrior
Got a steering wheel cover from mother in law for Christmas. Mine was tearing up bad
My dad got me tht one a while back, I can't seem to fit it over my steering wheel!=/

__________________
Don't follow the Hype, follow your Heart.
JVLemur is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
One Problem After Another Today :( vin211 TJ General Discussion Forum 3 12-09-2014 04:47 AM
Officially a JEEP owner today rico334 TJ General Discussion Forum 24 12-17-2013 03:36 AM
Tops switch today mishel JK General Discussion Forum 4 06-23-2009 03:00 PM
Today is my Anniversary! jeeptales Off-Topic 13 04-03-2006 03:44 PM



Download our Mobile App

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:26 AM.



Jeep, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC