What is the most economic way........... - Page 2 - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 02-24-2008, 09:54 PM   #31
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 8,286
Send a message via AIM to Triple88a Send a message via MSN to Triple88a Send a message via Yahoo to Triple88a Send a message via Skype™ to Triple88a
I"ll post few pics in the picture thread of the trip as i dont want to hijack Scoobys thread with my trip. Scooby what are you planning on doing?

Triple88a is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-25-2008, 09:39 AM   #32
Jeeper
 
Scooby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoob View Post
The expensive part of him going to 32's is not the lift. That is cheap and easy. His problem is the 11.5 tires and the rubbing they are going to cause. With factory rims and their 5.5" backspace is not going to be enough to stop the wheels from rubbing. he either needs different wheels (cheasy steelies) or a set of wheel spacers. Either way its a big added expense.
If money is that tight Scooby I would just go with a set of 31X10.5 MALL Terrains (like I posted pictures of) on your factory wheels. You will need no lift or anyhting at all and most of the people at the mall wont know the difference between a 31 and a 32.
I should have been clearer with my original post because last fall I had a set of black Soft 8's installed, but I used my 30" tires. What does this change with what I should do to install 32" tires? I do not know how much backspacing these have, but I know that before my spare tire sat against the isolators, but now they are close to 2" away. I remember something about the tire guy saying that these wheels are 4 degree. Maybe I just need to drive to Omaha and you can give me a class on this! Thanks again, Scooby

Scooby is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-25-2008, 09:40 AM   #33
Jeeper
 
mrbigjeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 4,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange05tj View Post
My BL came with no brackets for the fan shroud and was impossible to get a drill in there to move the shroud. I found the mml to be a quite simple job.
Thats why the JKS BL sucks . They make you drill to relocate the fan shroud. I guess its fine if you plan on doing a MML.

The PA comes with brackets and i highly doubt you could get a MML done in 15 minutes if it is your first time.

scooby, just wondering how many answers you need. you ask the same question. why would the answer be different now...just messing with ya

i've got about 20K on my BFG MT's and they still look almost new.
mrbigjeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-25-2008, 10:48 AM   #34
Jeeper
 
Scooby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbigjeep View Post
Thats why the JKS BL sucks . They make you drill to relocate the fan shroud. I guess its fine if you plan on doing a MML.

The PA comes with brackets and i highly doubt you could get a MML done in 15 minutes if it is your first time.

scooby, just wondering how many answers you need. you ask the same question. why would the answer be different now...just messing with ya

i've got about 20K on my BFG MT's and they still look almost new.
To tell you the truth the answers are different, I guess that is why I keep asking because I have become confused. This time I have read about possibly using Rubi shocks, then a 1" spacer will do it, before it was a 2" spacer, you told be about the shock extenders etc, etc. I actually gave it a break and said screw it, I will just install 31's and be done with it. Then I start thinking that I bought the Soft 8's and they will accept 32's so why not get the biggest tire that I can get, but then I realize that I should get some lift so it does not look like the tire is right up to the flare, I would like some space between there so then I ask again, but I get different answers. I just know that I want the easiest way because I do not want to get into some kind of snowball effect that if I do this then I have to do that and then the expense gets out of hand. Originally I was going to buy the Skyjacker kit from Quadratec, but then I was told that it was not a good idea, then I get information about doing a lift for 1/2 the price of the Skyjacker kit, so I guess Iam just spinning my wheels, no pun intended! I was going to do just the 2" spacers and I thought that all was good, but then I needed new and longer shocks, but now I don't need longer shocks, I need shock extenders. I don't want to do a BL, I know that much. Scooby
Scooby is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-25-2008, 11:12 AM   #35
Jeeper
 
kg4kpg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Summerville, SC
Posts: 2,768
Send a message via Yahoo to kg4kpg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoob View Post
Mall terrains is just another name for All terrains. Since they are made mainly for mall cruising many (like myself) call them Mall Terrains. They would go perfect on a set of black steelies
To help, here is a couple pictures of MALL Terrain tires



Fella here did some pretty deep mud holes with these (33's) this past weekend and did pretty well. Not a real aggressive tread, but if you know how to drive they can be used pretty well. Same with BFG A/T's.
__________________
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e96/kg4kpg/f712f48bae526a2b13f30e6601f3433d_zps089056bf.jpg
kg4kpg is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-25-2008, 11:54 AM   #36
Jeeper
 
mrbigjeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 4,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby View Post
To tell you the truth the answers are different, I guess that is why I keep asking because I have become confused. This time I have read about possibly using Rubi shocks, then a 1" spacer will do it, before it was a 2" spacer, you told be about the shock extenders etc, etc. I actually gave it a break and said screw it, I will just install 31's and be done with it. Then I start thinking that I bought the Soft 8's and they will accept 32's so why not get the biggest tire that I can get, but then I realize that I should get some lift so it does not look like the tire is right up to the flare, I would like some space between there so then I ask again, but I get different answers. I just know that I want the easiest way because I do not want to get into some kind of snowball effect that if I do this then I have to do that and then the expense gets out of hand. Originally I was going to buy the Skyjacker kit from Quadratec, but then I was told that it was not a good idea, then I get information about doing a lift for 1/2 the price of the Skyjacker kit, so I guess Iam just spinning my wheels, no pun intended! I was going to do just the 2" spacers and I thought that all was good, but then I needed new and longer shocks, but now I don't need longer shocks, I need shock extenders. I don't want to do a BL, I know that much. Scooby
lol you have a very good point.

if you don't wanna do a BL i would go with a BB. if your goin with 32's you may as well go with a 2" BB. you shouldn't have vibes. if you do then drop the tcase slightly with washers. as for shocks, you can buy shock extenders (which i use in the rear of my jeep and they work great) or new shocks. i don't guess you would HAVE to buy new shocks but i would suggest it.
mrbigjeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-25-2008, 12:26 PM   #37
Jeeper
 
Scooby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbigjeep View Post
lol you have a very good point.

if you don't wanna do a BL i would go with a BB. if your goin with 32's you may as well go with a 2" BB. you shouldn't have vibes. if you do then drop the tcase slightly with washers. as for shocks, you can buy shock extenders (which i use in the rear of my jeep and they work great) or new shocks. i don't guess you would HAVE to buy new shocks but i would suggest it.

So if Iam understanding you correctly this is what I should buy, and this is where I should buy it:

A big difference you'll find between a Rocky Road Budget lift and others is that we give you something you actually HAVE TO HAVE when you put 2" on your Jeep, BPE (Bar Pin Eliminator) Shock Extensions. All other kits only provide coil spacers only, or they give you a bumpstop extension. These extensions are absolutely unnecessary unless you're jumping your Jeep at some sand dunes (bad idea if its your daily driver).... bumpstop extensions are 100% unnecessary. Bag that unnecessary expense and pick up a kit that will actually improve your suspension flex instead of worsening it. Our kit includes Shock Extensions that do the trick!!!



Rocky Road Outfitters
Shopping Cart Contents (nothing is final until you submit your order)
item# item description unit price u/m qty cost adjust quantity here
TJ7025 Wrangler budget lift-tj2 $110.00 ea. 1 $110.00 increase decrease remove


Continue to Shop
Refresh Display
Go to Checkout
Empty your Cart
Order Subtotal: $110.00 Your IP Address and 'ship to' address are recorded as part of your order. Stop now if you are attempting to use an unauthorized credit card! ALL unauthorized users will be reported automatically to the FBI & Interpol.
Please note: Shipping on your receipt is an estimate only: Limitations of an online order system may not reflect the need to ship an order in multiple packages, special packaging considerations, or oversize rate requirements.

International customers:
--Your shipping total will be incorrect. Our online order system is not able to properly calculate shipping for you. The amount you see will be MUCH higher than the actual amount billed on your credit card. If you wish to know the correct amount, please email us.
--UPS, and US Postal Express mail are the ONLY options available for international orders. We will research and select the least expensive carrier for your order.
--International customers please be aware: Your country may impose additional import fees or taxes to receive your shipment. Please understand Rocky Road has no control over this.

ARB Bull Bars ship by Truck Freight for which an online order system cannot produce a correct ship estimate. Please reference the US rate chart map found on our webpage for a close estimate of the actual billing that will appear on your credit card statement.


Shipping summary
Box 1: 22.00 lbs. Shipping: $15.42
Click here to change shipping options.
Utah deliveries subject to $6.88 sales tax.
Shipping weight: 22.00
Shipping cost is estimated.

UPS Gnd Commercial Shipping: $15.42
Insurance: $1.10
Grand Total: $126.52
Scooby is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-25-2008, 02:25 PM   #38
Jeeper
 
richp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Pocono mountains
Posts: 1,559
For new in the box thats about as good as you are going to find.
richp is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-25-2008, 05:27 PM   #39
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 8,286
Send a message via AIM to Triple88a Send a message via MSN to Triple88a Send a message via Yahoo to Triple88a Send a message via Skype™ to Triple88a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby View Post
These extensions are absolutely unnecessary unless you're jumping your Jeep at some sand dunes (bad idea if its your daily driver).... bumpstop extensions are 100% unnecessary. Bag that unnecessary expense and pick up a kit that will actually improve your suspension flex instead of worsening it. Our kit includes Shock Extensions that do the trick!!!
No. Bumpstops limit how far your tires can travel up into the flares. With my 30" tires back when my jeep was stock i believe i had about 1" of space where the tire would rub the metal fender inside. If i add 32s it will rub the fender when i'm flexing only one tire at a time.

Shock extensions have nothing to do with the stock bump stops (unless they are way too tall to a point where the shock bottoms out before the actual bump stop hits)

Bumpstops are necessary to keep bigger tires out of your fenders. This is where body lifts come in very handy. Adding a bodylift will rise the fenders up higher so instead of using bump stops, your fenders will be up higher.

The next problem i see with out extending your bump stops and just adding plastic spacers on top of the stock coils can over compress the original coil (mostly if you're rock crawling). Just to give you an idea, imagine you have your coil that is 10" long. When you fully compress it it goes down to 5" and then the stock bumpstops hit and limit it from going any further. Now you put 2" plastic spacer on top of that 10" coil but do not extend the bump stops. The spacer cannot compress so the spring has to compress more. Your bump stops will hit at 5" however you have a 2" spacer on top of the stock spring so that will leave your spring only 3" of space. Get the idea?

Thats only for spacers though, if you buy longer springs it should be fine.

By shock extensions i believe they are talking about bar pin eliminator kit or whatever its called. That is good to have as it eliminates knocking because of the shocks sliding left and right across the pin that holds them to the frame (rear) or axle (front) and it also gives the shock about 1/2" of drop.
Triple88a is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-25-2008, 10:58 PM   #40
Jeeper
 
mrbigjeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 4,288
that was quoted off the website....


honestly i don't think you'll need to extend your bumpstops if your daily driving or doing light offroading and not rocks where your gonna be flexy. if you really wanna add them then just glue hockey pucks to the spring perch or buy the BB from 4wheelcustoms (includes bumpstop extensions) and buy the bpe's/shock extenders seperate from rocky road
mrbigjeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-25-2008, 11:53 PM   #41
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 8,286
Send a message via AIM to Triple88a Send a message via MSN to Triple88a Send a message via Yahoo to Triple88a Send a message via Skype™ to Triple88a
Big Jeep, how do you recommend "gluing" hockey pucks? Do you mind explaining. No i'm not against your advice or anything i'm actually curious as i've heard other people doing that too.
Triple88a is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-26-2008, 02:55 PM   #42
Jeeper
 
mrbigjeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 4,288
take a hockey puck and just use some gorilla glue on the bottom spring perch and it will act as a lower bumpstop....if the spring perch is higher (cause of the hockey puck) then the top bumpstop will hit the puck and will keep the axles from flexing anymore
mrbigjeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-26-2008, 06:41 PM   #43
Jack Lives Here!!!

WF Supporting Member
 
1BLKJP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 7,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoob View Post
Mall terrains is just another name for All terrains. Since they are made mainly for mall cruising many (like myself) call them Mall Terrains. They would go perfect on a set of black steelies

To help, here is a couple pictures of MALL Terrain tires






Hey Scoob, giv'em a break on the All Terrain's. I could just as easily say that your MTZ's are Mall Terrains based on the tires I am running, but I won't.
__________________
Thanks,
Jack Hickman

President - Arizona Off-Highway Vehicle Coalition
Vice-President - ASA4WDC
Arizona Rock Rats
1BLKJP is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-26-2008, 11:50 PM   #44
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 8,286
Send a message via AIM to Triple88a Send a message via MSN to Triple88a Send a message via Yahoo to Triple88a Send a message via Skype™ to Triple88a
Thanks Big Jeep
Triple88a is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-26-2008, 11:56 PM   #45
Jeeper
 
Scoob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Iowa
Posts: 1,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BLKJP View Post
Hey Scoob, giv'em a break on the All Terrain's. I could just as easily say that your MTZ's are Mall Terrains based on the tires I am running, but I won't.
LMAO!!!!


This saying has been around for many years, but by all means lets save their feelings.
__________________
Scoob
Scoob is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-08-2008, 10:03 AM   #46
IITYWTMWYBMAB

WF Supporting Member
::WF Administrator::
 
4Jeepn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Florence, KY
Posts: 10,268
Images: 5
either a small body lift, or a 2" spacer lift would be the way to go. You may get some rubbing with the 32's both on the lower control arm and at full flex but most likey if you adj your steering stops it should help a great deal at least with the control arm rubbing. As for tires, nothing wrong with AT's, or black steel rims.
__________________
79.96.85.00.01.97.00.97.93.97.95.94
CJ.XJ.CJ. TJ. TJ.ZJ. TJ.TJ. ZJ.ZJ.YJ. XJ
4Jeepn is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-08-2008, 11:45 AM   #47
Jeeper
 
kizer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Marysville, North of Seattle WA
Posts: 48
If you want the ultimate in low buck and will fit 33's

2 inch budget boost
1 inch body lift
Motor mount lift
Bar bin elimnators with shock extenders
Hock puck drilled and counter suck bolted to your lower spring perch

As for black steelies and mall crawlers. Here's a picture of steps at Virtue Flat in the winter. My open/open black wheels and BFG AT's walked all over a Locked Rubicon on MTRs. Mybe its the driver? Couldn't be the wheels.



The only reason I switched out to Cooper Discoverers is I wanted a more agressive tread for mud.
__________________
Links4Jeeps.com
1600+ Write-ups, and more
My Writeups | My Heap
kizer is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-09-2008, 03:54 PM   #48
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 688
Facinating thread! Truly!





C.

jp'rs_peep'rs is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A very good Obama/McCain article txjustin Off-Topic 31 11-04-2008 06:07 PM
The Birk Economic Recovery Plan kg4kpg Off-Topic 10 09-27-2008 10:28 PM
Economic Stimulus Package Dare2BSquare Off-Topic 28 01-28-2008 07:49 AM



Download our Mobile App

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:51 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC