What lift would you recomend? - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 05-18-2013, 05:31 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
Stanton Tucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chache Valley Utah
Posts: 355
Images: 1
What lift would you recomend?

I have been amazed at the places my 97 Tj can go, even without any suspension modifications it had thoroughly impressed me time after time.
I want a lift kit, not to improve its capability off road, but simply to make it look better. Yes I know that is a silly reason, but lets face it, my jeep is my daily driver and only sees the trails about twice a month.
That being said, I am looking for a lift kit that will raise it in height but keep the performance level just as normal as stock (which I am completely happy with).. I am thinking either a 3" or 4" suspension lift, I prefer to stay away from body lifts but if I had to have one to get the stance I want then so be it. I am wondering if there's any lifts out there that will give me the look I want without costing an arm and a leg. Like I said before, as long as I can still go places that I can when I am bone stock then I am totally happy.
I am running a 31" tire right now, my next set will be 33s possibly, maybe not, I kinda like the look of more lift with smaller tires, I know lots of people hate that but I like the look of space in the wheel wells, here is what she looks like now

Stanton Tucker is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-18-2013, 05:42 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
PStov98TJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Long Beach, Mississippi
Posts: 2,005
Well if you're not looking to spend a whole lot. 4" suspension lift is not the way to go for sure. Sounds like a 2.5" lift would do it for you.

__________________
OME suspension, some JKS stuff, 33x12.50 Goodyear MTR's w/Kevlar, 15x8 Pacer wheels, thedirtworx rear tire carrier
PStov98TJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-18-2013, 05:42 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
EMTJEEP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Dublin Ca
Posts: 948
Look at MetalCloaks setup, it's a 3.5" lift. I love all their stuff I have on my jeep and got their joints waiting in my closet to be put on to my current setup.

No shocks
TJ/LJ Wrangler 3.5" Duroflex Short-Arm Suspension & Lift Kit

OME shocks
TJ/LJ Wrangler 3.5" Game Changing "Lite" Long Travel Short-Arm Suspension System, ARB Edition uses the Old Man Emu Nitrocharger Sports
EMTJEEP is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-18-2013, 05:45 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
PStov98TJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Long Beach, Mississippi
Posts: 2,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMTJEEP View Post
Look at MetalCloaks setup, it's a 3.5" lift. I love all their stuff I have on my jeep and got their joints waiting in my closet to be put on to my current setup.

No shocks
TJ/LJ Wrangler 3.5" Duroflex Short-Arm Suspension & Lift Kit

OME shocks
TJ/LJ Wrangler 3.5" Game Changing "Lite" Long Travel Short-Arm Suspension System, ARB Edition uses the Old Man Emu Nitrocharger Sports
Only problem with this lift is that he may need an sye/cv. 3.5" is awfully close to 4". And with anything over 3.5" I'd say you need to start looking into adj. CA's and definitely will need things like adj. trackbars, extended sway bar links, longer brake lines, longer breather tube lines, etc.

But that MC lift looks very nice.
__________________
OME suspension, some JKS stuff, 33x12.50 Goodyear MTR's w/Kevlar, 15x8 Pacer wheels, thedirtworx rear tire carrier
PStov98TJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-18-2013, 05:48 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
EMTJEEP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Dublin Ca
Posts: 948
Quote:
Originally Posted by PStov98TJ View Post
Only problem with this lift is that he may need an sye/cv. 3.5" is awfully close to 4". And with anything over 3.5" I'd say you need to start looking into adj. CA's and definitely will need things like adj. trackbars, extended sway bar links, longer brake lines, longer breather tube lines, etc.

But that MC lift looks very nice.
Don't rubicons come with a fixed yoke already? So the most he may need is a CV driveshaft. That is if the stickers on his jeep are real and the OP didn't just put them on for looks.
EMTJEEP is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-18-2013, 05:50 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
EMTJEEP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Dublin Ca
Posts: 948
Nevermind just saw what year it was....
EMTJEEP is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-18-2013, 05:51 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
PStov98TJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Long Beach, Mississippi
Posts: 2,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMTJEEP View Post

Don't rubicons come with a fixed yoke already? So the most he may need is a CV driveshaft. That is if the stickers on his jeep are real and the OP didn't just put them on for looks.
True. I always remember that after I post it. But still, a double Cardin shaft will be needed. And the fact it is a rubicon doesn't change the fact that the other stuff I mentioned is still needed.
__________________
OME suspension, some JKS stuff, 33x12.50 Goodyear MTR's w/Kevlar, 15x8 Pacer wheels, thedirtworx rear tire carrier
PStov98TJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-18-2013, 05:52 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
PStov98TJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Long Beach, Mississippi
Posts: 2,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMTJEEP View Post
Nevermind just saw what year it was....
I did too.... Now I feel dumb for having not noticed it was a "rubicon" then also not noticing the year... It's been a long day for me.
__________________
OME suspension, some JKS stuff, 33x12.50 Goodyear MTR's w/Kevlar, 15x8 Pacer wheels, thedirtworx rear tire carrier
PStov98TJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-18-2013, 05:54 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
EMTJEEP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Dublin Ca
Posts: 948
Quote:
Originally Posted by PStov98TJ View Post
True. I always remember that after I post it. But still, a double Cardin shaft will be needed. And the fact it is a rubicon doesn't change the fact that the other stuff I mentioned is still needed.
The metalcloak kit comes with all the adjustable CA, TrackBar, Extended sway links, extended brake lines.

But you are right that it is more than just throwing some coils/shocks and some CAs on it.
EMTJEEP is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-18-2013, 05:57 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
PStov98TJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Long Beach, Mississippi
Posts: 2,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMTJEEP View Post

The metalcloak kit comes with all the adjustable CA, TrackBar, Extended sway links, extended brake lines.
It also costs $2,400 before shipping. And he said he didn't want to spend "an arm and a leg" on it.
__________________
OME suspension, some JKS stuff, 33x12.50 Goodyear MTR's w/Kevlar, 15x8 Pacer wheels, thedirtworx rear tire carrier
PStov98TJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-18-2013, 06:05 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
EMTJEEP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Dublin Ca
Posts: 948
Quote:
Originally Posted by PStov98TJ View Post
It also costs $2,400 before shipping. And he said he didn't want to spend "an arm and a leg" on it.
Could always buy the setup for $1999 and just buy some shocks on the side.

I think that would be the price for that size of lift and having everything together in kit would be the same with every other company out.
EMTJEEP is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-18-2013, 06:06 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
EMTJEEP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Dublin Ca
Posts: 948
Since he doesn't want to spend a lot on a kit I would agree with you saying he should go with a 2.5" lift then. Cause anything 3"+ will start costing him an arm and a leg .
EMTJEEP is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-18-2013, 06:18 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
Jwolfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 864
Look at the DPG ultimate kit.
__________________
06 Rubi, 33x12.50x15 Duratracs on 15x8 MB 72s, 2" BB, 1.25" JKS BL, 1" JKS MML, ZJ Tie Rod, JCR Front/Rear Bumpers, JCR Sliders, OR-Fab Tire Carrier with Jerry Can Mount.
Jwolfer is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-18-2013, 06:24 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
Stanton Tucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chache Valley Utah
Posts: 355
Images: 1
Thank you all so much for the feedback..
Yeah I really wish I could go up to a three or four inch lift without having to change everything up too much. Like I said, I know most people hate it or think it looks Micky mouse, but I like the look of a little more lift and a little less tires. .. Crazy I know.. But I hope there's a solution to this, 2.5" doesn't seem like enough, granted I haven't seen any jeeps with that set up.. Google isn't even helping so I posted here
Stanton Tucker is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-18-2013, 06:28 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
EMTJEEP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Dublin Ca
Posts: 948
Your not that crazy. We built a truck for Sema like that.

What is your budget?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	487045_10151237329964145_370693956_n.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	250678  
EMTJEEP is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-18-2013, 06:34 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
Stanton Tucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chache Valley Utah
Posts: 355
Images: 1
I would be willing to spend 2k max. Not a penny more lol.
Hopefully not have to go that high even
Stanton Tucker is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-18-2013, 06:41 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
Newly installed long arm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 107
I no everybody hates rough country but I love mine and have had no problems with it. And it's been through a lot. Not newly installed any more
Newly installed long arm is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-18-2013, 06:44 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
EMTJEEP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Dublin Ca
Posts: 948
That's going to be hard to not do without a BL and not getting a SYE/CV ($410). RockKrawler 3.5" X Factor is $1699, Rubicon Express 3.5" for about the same and both without shocks and a rear track bar. So you may have to end up going with a coil lift and BL. Look at zone combo or another one that has been mentioned is the DPG kit.
EMTJEEP is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-18-2013, 06:49 PM   #19
Creepy Crawler

WF Supporting Member
 
BLK00TJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 3,176
Are you factoring in your new tires to that limit? Tires alone are close to or over 1k. You can get a Savvy/Currie for under 2k with discounts. That does not include the SYE/CV that you should get with any 2.5"+ lift though.
__________________
Wheel. Break/Test. Repair/Upgrade. Repeat
BLK00TJ's YouTube Channel -- BLK00TJ's Build
BLK00TJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-18-2013, 06:53 PM   #20
Jeeper
 
EMTJEEP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Dublin Ca
Posts: 948
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLK00TJ View Post
Are you factoring in your new tires to that limit? Tires alone are close to or over 1k. You can get a Savvy/Currie for under 2k with discounts. That does not include the SYE/CV that you should get with any 2.5"+ lift though.
He is thinking of 33's but might stick with his 31's so tires aren't in the price atleast for now. Plus those duratracs look pretty new still.
EMTJEEP is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-18-2013, 07:42 PM   #21
Jeeper
 
Stanton Tucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chache Valley Utah
Posts: 355
Images: 1
Yeah my duratracs are brand new.. Tires not included...
Maybe i will go to my local off road shop here in Utah and see what they suggest?:/
Stanton Tucker is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-18-2013, 08:16 PM   #22
Jeeper
 
PStov98TJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Long Beach, Mississippi
Posts: 2,005
2.5" lift is alot more lift than you'd think it is. Granted, it's not as much as 4". But it's still a good bit of lift.

And the DPG ultimate kit maybe the way you need to go. If you're will to just stick to 32" tires, you wouldn't have to do the body lift.
__________________
OME suspension, some JKS stuff, 33x12.50 Goodyear MTR's w/Kevlar, 15x8 Pacer wheels, thedirtworx rear tire carrier
PStov98TJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-18-2013, 10:11 PM   #23
Jeeper
 
ccecil3155's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 61
If you're just going for looks grab a rough country kit or something like that for $500 and then use the other $1500 for mods
ccecil3155 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-18-2013, 10:34 PM   #24
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
RedSurveyor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newly installed long arm View Post
I no everybody hates rough country but I love mine and have had no problems with it. And it's been through a lot. Not newly installed any more
I know what you mean. You don't have to brake the bank to have functional mods. If your not stretching the limits of your Jeep you don't need the mods required to stretch it. Get what you want for the purpose you want

On another note, I am heading to Logan on the second weekend of June to visit my mothers side of the fam. We always stop at A&W. tradition. I'll look for your Jeep.
__________________
RedSurveyor is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-19-2013, 01:00 AM   #25
Jeeper
 
WaterDR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,329
Toss a 2" BDS lift on it and call it a day. 400 bucks and you will get about 2.5"s.
WaterDR is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-19-2013, 01:46 AM   #26
Jeeper
 
Rommelx3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 290
In my own humble opinion, if you're getting a lift for a daily driver spend a few extra bucks to make sure you get something nice that will have good road manners and still be able to take a beating on the occasional wheeling trip.
Rommelx3 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-19-2013, 02:06 AM   #27
Jeeper
 
EMTJEEP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Dublin Ca
Posts: 948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rommelx3 View Post
In my own humble opinion, if you're getting a lift for a daily driver spend a few extra bucks to make sure you get something nice that will have good road manners and still be able to take a beating on the occasional wheeling trip.
X2

Don't just wimp out on a cheap lift even if you just want it for looks especially if it's your DD. You don't want to have a crappy ride just because you wanted to save the few extra bucks. In the long run a cheap setup could cost even more compared to a higher end kit, after you replace the bushings that go out every so many miles. Or get problems created by the cheap lift like DW or busted off frame mounts because of the poly bushings.
EMTJEEP is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-19-2013, 02:48 AM   #28
Jeeper
 
Rommelx3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMTJEEP

X2

Don't just wimp out on a cheap lift even if you just want it for looks especially if it's your DD. You don't want to have a crappy ride just because you wanted to save the few extra bucks. In the long run a cheap setup could cost even more compared to a higher end kit, after you replace the bushings that go out every so many miles. Or get problems created by the cheap lift like DW or busted off frame mounts because of the poly bushings.
That's sound advice, buying a lift should be a one time thing so do it right the first time

In my opinion I think 3-4 inches is nice to have, it's not too much & allows for the use of 33s. I'd highly recommend avoiding a tcase drop and going straight to the sye and ds.

I got a 4inch lift and it sagged down just a tad. It sits now at about 3.5 and I run 33's. that's just what works personally for me.

I almost got a 2.5 lift but looking back I'm glad I got a 4 inch.

I drive mine daily and the sye/ds combo really helps with getting a smooth ride.
Rommelx3 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-19-2013, 04:04 PM   #29
Jeeper
 
Stanton Tucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chache Valley Utah
Posts: 355
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSurveyor View Post

I know what you mean. You don't have to brake the bank to have functional mods. If your not stretching the limits of your Jeep you don't need the mods required to stretch it. Get what you want for the purpose you want

On another note, I am heading to Logan on the second weekend of June to visit my mothers side of the fam. We always stop at A&W. tradition. I'll look for your Jeep.
I need to update this on here, I don't work there anymore I work at a factory out on 600 W.
But small world, it's cool how close some jeepers are
Stanton Tucker is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-19-2013, 04:47 PM   #30
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
RedSurveyor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 586
I'll keep my eyes peeled for your ride while I'm up there.

__________________
RedSurveyor is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:10 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC