whats in store for me - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 11-22-2011, 07:11 AM   #1
Jeeper
 
jebby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Windsor Ontario Canada
Posts: 1,328
whats in store for me

took my tj in to get a front end allignment after putting my bb lift on.... they tell me it needs ball joints and sway bar links i can do the links my self but dont know much about ball joints

someone school me

jebby is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-22-2011, 07:48 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 878
Buy a Haynes manual from your local autoparts store,one of your best investments

Most times you can rent a ball joint press or hammer and beat them out which is not recommended
They can be a pain

__________________
Pincho De Lapiz
ou812 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-22-2011, 07:52 AM   #3
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 878
Also YouTube how to remove ball joints
I'll bet there's something there
__________________
Pincho De Lapiz
ou812 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-22-2011, 08:35 AM   #4
Jeeper
 
jebby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Windsor Ontario Canada
Posts: 1,328
thanks guys just a bit hesitant to dig into it
jebby is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-22-2011, 09:22 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
arcountryboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: England, AR
Posts: 849
__________________
Arkansas Crawlers
BlueRibbon Coalition


arcountryboy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-22-2011, 09:27 AM   #6
Jeeper
 
jebby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Windsor Ontario Canada
Posts: 1,328
not sure how much i trust the allignment shop to check them just hang it from the frame and try to move the hub around?
jebby is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-22-2011, 09:31 AM   #7
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Waynesboro, VA
Posts: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by ou812 View Post
Buy a Haynes manual from your local autoparts store,one of your best investments
Haynes is definitely your friend. They have directions for just about anything you would need to do to your Jeep... from a stock standpoint of course.
__________________
The early bird may get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese!
lemonsbw is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-22-2011, 10:08 AM   #8
Jeeper
 
freeskier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Longmont, CO
Posts: 2,477
Get an FSM, not the Haynes/Chilton crap that tries to cover 12 years of models.
__________________
CU Boulder Aerospace Engineering
freeskier is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-22-2011, 12:05 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
arcountryboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: England, AR
Posts: 849
What year is your Jeep? I may have the FSM for it.
__________________
Arkansas Crawlers
BlueRibbon Coalition


arcountryboy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-22-2011, 12:42 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
jebby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Windsor Ontario Canada
Posts: 1,328
97 se
jebby is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-22-2011, 01:30 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
arcountryboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: England, AR
Posts: 849
Quote:
Originally Posted by jebby View Post
97 se

I've got the FSM for it, it's an Adobe file. PM me your email and I will send it to you.
__________________
Arkansas Crawlers
BlueRibbon Coalition


arcountryboy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-22-2011, 05:27 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
robbiecc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 771
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeskier View Post
Get an FSM, not the Haynes/Chilton crap that tries to cover 12 years of models.
they are next to useless. you'd have better luck trying to rebuild your engine using the owner's manual than get any thing useful out of haynes/chilton. get the FSM-it'll make your life so much easier(digital, printed or like me-both)
used to be a chilton fan till i got one for my pickup and my engine wasn't even listed-then a haynes for the jeep and my serpitine belt adj wasn't mentioned at all(slider type)
robbiecc is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-22-2011, 05:31 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
freeskier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Longmont, CO
Posts: 2,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiecc View Post
they are next to useless. you'd have better luck trying to rebuild your engine using the owner's manual than get any thing useful out of haynes/chilton. get the FSM-it'll make your life so much easier(digital, printed or like me-both)
used to be a chilton fan till i got one for my pickup and my engine wasn't even listed-then a haynes for the jeep and my serpitine belt adj wasn't mentioned at all(slider type)
For 1997-1999 TJ owners the Haynes manual tries to cover 1989 to 1999. In 1991 they switched to EFI, then of course the 1989 to 1995 was the YJ era. Say you want to use the manual for engine work, you have to wade through all he information that has to do with the carb engine, then have to figure out what pertains to you TJ and what pertains to the YJ as there where quite few differences.

So basically 3/4 of the manual has absolutely nothing to do with my TJ. Then factor in most of the information being flat our wrong.
freeskier is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-22-2011, 05:48 PM   #14
Jeep Ninja

WF Supporting Member
 
scgeek12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Norfolk VA
Posts: 1,825
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeskier View Post
For 1997-1999 TJ owners the Haynes manual tries to cover 1989 to 1999. In 1991 they switched to EFI, then of course the 1989 to 1995 was the YJ era. Say you want to use the manual for engine work, you have to wade through all he information that has to do with the carb engine, then have to figure out what pertains to you TJ and what pertains to the YJ as there where quite few differences.

So basically 3/4 of the manual has absolutely nothing to do with my TJ. Then factor in most of the information being flat our wrong.
lol i have the haynes manual and when i was reading into doing an SYE it told me i have to pull the entire transmission and T-case as 1 assembly then unbolt them from each other off the jeep, FSM clearly shows you can unbolt the T-case while its still on the jeep and remove it by itself
__________________
"if it aint broke, fix it till' it is!"
my build- http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/scge...ad-117592.html
scgeek12 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-23-2011, 06:34 AM   #15
Jeeper
 
arcountryboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: England, AR
Posts: 849
I sent him the FSM for his Jeep, so he should be good to go on that. Makes life much easier having the FSM.
__________________
Arkansas Crawlers
BlueRibbon Coalition


arcountryboy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-23-2011, 07:35 AM   #16
Jeeper
 
jebby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Windsor Ontario Canada
Posts: 1,328
thanks been skimmin the fsm will do wonders..... get this.... went to pick up the jeep and look at their work and there is nothing wrong with the ball joints its the freckin u joints on the front axle that are bad.... duno if i misheard him on my crappy cell phone or if he said the wrong thing but ive been barking up the wrong tree lol..... any u joint tips?
jebby is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-23-2011, 07:36 AM   #17
Jeeper
 
arcountryboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: England, AR
Posts: 849
__________________
Arkansas Crawlers
BlueRibbon Coalition


arcountryboy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-23-2011, 09:51 AM   #18
Jeeper
 
rjpark36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: League City, TX
Posts: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcountryboy View Post
I sent him the FSM for his Jeep, so he should be good to go on that. Makes life much easier having the FSM.
You wouldn't by chance have a digital FSM copy for a 99 TJ Sport, would you??

I have the Haynes manual, and it is less than ideal when you are trying to match the directions with what you are looking at. The directions for the serp. belt adjustment had me totally confused for a while, until I logged into this forum!
rjpark36 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-23-2011, 09:56 AM   #19
Jeeper
 
arcountryboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: England, AR
Posts: 849
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjpark36 View Post
You wouldn't by chance have a digital FSM copy for a 99 TJ Sport, would you??

I have the Haynes manual, and it is less than ideal when you are trying to match the directions with what you are looking at. The directions for the serp. belt adjustment had me totally confused for a while, until I logged into this forum!

Yep, pm your email and I'll send it.

__________________
Arkansas Crawlers
BlueRibbon Coalition


arcountryboy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Two armed men walk into a gun store... AzTJ Off-Topic 11 02-20-2011 11:22 PM
Cool Jeep store little1989jeep Member Sites 1 11-24-2009 11:03 AM


logo carid shop wrangler parts carid fender flares custom wheels store avs deflectors at carid
» Rates
Get low rates on auto insurance in Canada!

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:29 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC