Which Rough Country Lift? 3.75" or 4"? - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 06-03-2014, 12:02 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
SilverAuto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 98
Which Rough Country Lift? 3.75" or 4"?

So I almost have everything narrowed down for my exact goals on my '03 TJ (X 4.0L I-6). My dilemma right now is if I go with 33" tires instead of 32", which size lift should I go with?

I like Rough Country, but should I go 4" or would I be fine with 3.75" on a 33" tire?

SilverAuto is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-03-2014, 01:06 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
WeekenderATX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 561
Get ready to get flamed by the RC haters on here.
Personally, I have the 2.5 in RC lift with 31's and it's a good setup for me.
I think you're splitting hairs debating between 3.75 vs 4in. FWIW, I'd do 3.75in. YMMV.

WeekenderATX is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-03-2014, 01:15 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
SilverAuto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekenderATX View Post
Get ready to get flamed by the RC haters on here.
Personally, I have the 2.5 in RC lift with 31's and it's a good setup for me.
I think you're splitting hairs debating between 3.75 vs 4in. FWIW, I'd do 3.75in. YMMV.
Why so many Rough Country haters? Way better priced kits compared to the others I've seen so far. I like that their shocks are silver in color instead of some bright ugly color that won't match my Wrangler.

There's a good $110 difference between the 3.75" and the 4". Guess I'm mostly just thinking aesthetically here, huh?
SilverAuto is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-03-2014, 01:21 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
Skrow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverAuto View Post
Why so many Rough Country haters? Way better priced kits compared to the others I've seen. I like that their shocks are silver in color instead of some bright ugly color that won't match my Wrangler.

There's a good $110 difference between the 3.75" and the 4". Guess I'm mostly just thinking aesthetically here.
Because we all know that the color of a shock is WAY MORE important than the performance it provides.

If your looking to run 33" tires on a budget, the Zone lift is the best recommendation going for now:

Zone Offroad 4-1/4" Combo System 97-06 Jeep Wrangler TJ J25/J26
Skrow is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-03-2014, 01:24 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
SilverAuto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrow View Post
Because we all know that the color of a shock is WAY MORE important than the performance it provides.

If your looking to run 33" tires on a budget, the Zone lift is the best recommendation going for now:

Zone Offroad 4-1/4" Combo System 97-06 Jeep Wrangler TJ J25/J26
Haha! I knew those smart@ss remarks were coming! LOL
SilverAuto is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-03-2014, 01:29 PM   #6
ExtremeTerrain.com Sponsoring Vendor
 
XTRyan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Malvern, PA
Posts: 2,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverAuto View Post
So I almost have everything narrowed down for my exact goals on my '03 TJ (X 4.0L I-6). My dilemma right now is if I go with 33" tires instead of 32", which size lift should I go with?

I like Rough Country, but should I go 4" or would I be fine with 3.75" on a 33" tire?
I also think you'll be ok with the Rough Country 3.75" Lift Kit with 33's. Worst case scenario you would have to add some more bump stop to keep the tires out of the fenders. Most lifts don't net exactly what they advertise anyway. Plus, you don't have to change out the control arms with the combo kit.

Let me know if you have any questions or would like a quote!

-Ryan
__________________
Ryan H. | ExtremeTerrain.com Off-Road Outfitters
Toll Free: 800-988-4605 | Mon-Fri 10AM-6PM EST
Free Shipping on Orders Over $75!
EARN UP TO $200 TOWARD YOUR NEXT PURCHASE!
PM me for our WranglerForum Discount Code (must have 25 posts) or Price-Matching!
GET YOUR FREE JEEP PARTS CATALOG!
XTRyan is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-03-2014, 01:40 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
SilverAuto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by XTRyan View Post
I also think you'll be ok with the Rough Country 3.75" Lift Kit with 33's. Worst case scenario you would have to add some more bump stop to keep the tires out of the fenders. Most lifts don't net exactly what they advertise anyway. Plus, you don't have to change out the control arms with the combo kit.

Let me know if you have any questions or would like a quote!

-Ryan
Thanks. $389.95 for the 3.75" and $499.95 for the 4" are the prices I'm basing everything on right now.

My ultimate goal is 33x12.50 on 15x10 wheels.
SilverAuto is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-03-2014, 01:43 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
Skrow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 147
I would recommend 15x8" wheels if you plan on airing down your tires. Less likely to lose a bead that way.
Skrow is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-03-2014, 01:53 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
Rayko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NJ Badlands
Posts: 891
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverAuto View Post
Why so many Rough Country haters? Way better priced kits compared to the others I've seen so far. I like that their shocks are silver in color instead of some bright ugly color that won't match my Wrangler.

There's a good $110 difference between the 3.75" and the 4". Guess I'm mostly just thinking aesthetically here, huh?
You do know the reason they're priced lower than other kits, right?
You get what you pay for. Spend cheap, get cheaply made product.
Rayko is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-03-2014, 01:58 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
SilverAuto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayko View Post
You do know the reason they're priced lower than other kits, right?
You get what you pay for. Spend cheap, get cheaply made product.
What would you pay for a kit and not consider it cheap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrow View Post
I would recommend 15x8" wheels if you plan on airing down your tires. Less likely to lose a bead that way.
Yeah, I'm hearing that more and more. I don't plan on doing any intense rock crawling, so hopefully I'd be OK on trailing.
SilverAuto is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-03-2014, 02:15 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
Thedirtman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 31
Thedirtman is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-03-2014, 02:32 PM   #12
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Water Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Roseville, CA
Posts: 5,057
Images: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrow View Post
Because we all know that the color of a shock is WAY MORE important than the performance it provides.

If your looking to run 33" tires on a budget, the Zone lift is the best recommendation going for now:

Zone Offroad 4-1/4" Combo System 97-06 Jeep Wrangler TJ J25/J26

X2..Best bang for the buck. Better ride, and better parts. Do some reading on lifts on here.
__________________
Dennis
Water Dog is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-03-2014, 02:41 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Lafayette Hill, PA
Posts: 1,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverAuto View Post

What would you pay for a kit and not consider it cheap?.
$2k with adjustable control arms for a kit without shocks.
Big Cole is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-03-2014, 02:49 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
SilverAuto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Cole View Post
$2k with adjustable control arms for a kit without shocks.
Geez, I'm out on that! I'm not building an all-out rock crawler here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thedirtman View Post
Lots of great info there; and lots to think about. I'm currently on 31x10.50's and what I believe is a 2" coil spacer lift, so I can only go up from here, right?!
SilverAuto is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-03-2014, 02:53 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
SilverAuto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 98
I'm really appreciating all of this advice though. I was originally just gonna keep the cheap lift I have and go with 32x11.50 tires.
SilverAuto is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-03-2014, 04:35 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
Rayko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NJ Badlands
Posts: 891
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverAuto View Post
What would you pay for a kit and not consider it cheap?.
I went with the Old Man Emu 2.5" HD kit. Put it on about 4 years ago and have been more than pleased with it. Don't remember exactly what I paid for it though. Altogether, around $1,000. give or take a few bucks.
Rayko is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-03-2014, 04:48 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
DoubleOught's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Nashville GA
Posts: 1,178
We put the RC 3.25 kit on my son's 97. For what we use the Jeep for, it works OK but I would not run the RC hydraulic shocks. 3 out of 4 were leaking before a year old so we just replaced the rear with some 7000 series Ranchos 5 or 6 weeks ago. Hope to do the front later this summer. If you're gonna run heavy gear, big spare, winch, etc., go with something with a higher spring rate. The RC progressive rate spring rides nice but if you start adding heavy gear, you'll loose an inch of lift pretty quick. I haven't used the Zone lift nor do I know anyone personally who has but because of the recommendations by many for a budget lift, may consider the Zone 4.25 on my next project.
DoubleOught is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-04-2014, 01:51 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
SilverAuto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleOught View Post
We put the RC 3.25 kit on my son's 97. For what we use the Jeep for, it works OK but I would not run the RC hydraulic shocks. 3 out of 4 were leaking before a year old so we just replaced the rear with some 7000 series Ranchos 5 or 6 weeks ago. Hope to do the front later this summer. If you're gonna run heavy gear, big spare, winch, etc., go with something with a higher spring rate. The RC progressive rate spring rides nice but if you start adding heavy gear, you'll loose an inch of lift pretty quick. I haven't used the Zone lift nor do I know anyone personally who has but because of the recommendations by many for a budget lift, may consider the Zone 4.25 on my next project.
How did you tell they were leaking? Was it obvious? I'm still leaning towards the 4" Rough Country lift with their 2.2 performance shock package. Any reviews on these? I think it's an extra $100.
SilverAuto is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-04-2014, 04:18 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
DoubleOught's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Nashville GA
Posts: 1,178
There was oil on the shafts and oil & dust on the bottoms of the shock tubes. Still have one leaker on the front.
DoubleOught is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-04-2014, 04:32 PM   #20
Jeeper
 
DoubleOught's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Nashville GA
Posts: 1,178
I just checked a friend of mine's 00 that I did some work on over the weekend and earlier this week. He also has the RC 3.25 and the 2.2 shocks. His shocks are still holding up ok.
DoubleOught is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-04-2014, 04:58 PM   #21
Jeeper
 
Sheklikak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Arizona, southwest
Posts: 362
Send a message via Yahoo to Sheklikak
I've said this on so many threads on this topic. I have the RC 2.5" lift, just springs and shocks, on 31's. Its been a good lift over the last five years. Anything else I've purchased from RC seems to be little better than junk.

If its just looks, by all means go as cheep as you want. If you're off roading, especially with a group, spend a little more on something of quality.
Sheklikak is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-05-2014, 09:41 AM   #22
Jeeper
 
SilverAuto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheklikak View Post
I've said this on so many threads on this topic. I have the RC 2.5" lift, just springs and shocks, on 31's. Its been a good lift over the last five years. Anything else I've purchased from RC seems to be little better than junk.

If its just looks, by all means go as cheep as you want. If you're off roading, especially with a group, spend a little more on something of quality.
Keep in mind I plan to get their 4" lift which has their premium performance shocks supposedly. These can't be that bad can they?! This kit is pretty much the same price as a Zone lift so I don't understand the whole "cheap" thing that I'm hearing from people about Rough Country products. I'm installing their 2.2 steering stabilizer this weekend.
SilverAuto is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-05-2014, 10:30 AM   #23
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Water Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Roseville, CA
Posts: 5,057
Images: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverAuto View Post
Keep in mind I plan to get their 4" lift which has their premium performance shocks supposedly. These can't be that bad can they?! This kit is pretty much the same price as a Zone lift so I don't understand the whole "cheap" thing that I'm hearing from people about Rough Country products. I'm installing their 2.2 steering stabilizer this weekend.
Any inexpensive 4" all suspension lift that comes with aftermarket lower control arms is going to have issues whether RC, Skyjacker, Zone, whatever. The first issue is that on a 4" suspension lift you have to deal with drive line angles/vibes. This is usually done in one of two ways. Either a transfer case drop, which typically is approximately 1 1/2" on a 4" lift. (It doesn't make a lot of sense to me to lift 4", then loose an 1 1/2" of belly clearance), or an SYE and double cardan drive shaft. That is a good way to go, but it is also expensive. The second issue with virtually all the inexpensive 4" suspension lifts is that the fixed lower control arms that come with the kits are vastly inferior to the stock Jeep control arms. They severely limit flex, and wear out bushings fast.

The Zone 4.25" Combo lift is recommended because it is a 3" suspension lift which allows you to maintain the stock superior CA's, and is able to handle drive line angles/vibes with a motor mount lift instead of a transfer case drop. It ads a 1.25" body lift, which gives you a total of 4.25" of lift without the issues of a straight up 4" suspension lift.

Not trying to rain on your parade, just want you to know the facts....make up your own mind.
__________________
Dennis
Water Dog is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-05-2014, 10:45 AM   #24
Jeeper
 
SilverAuto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Dog View Post
Any inexpensive 4" all suspension lift that comes with aftermarket lower control arms is going to have issues whether RC, Skyjacker, Zone, whatever. The first issue is that on a 4" suspension lift you have to deal with drive line angles/vibes. This is usually done in one of two ways. Either a transfer case drop, which typically is approximately 1 1/2" on a 4" lift. (It doesn't make a lot of sense to me to lift 4", then loose an 1 1/2" of belly clearance), or an SYE and double cardan drive shaft. That is a good way to go, but it is also expensive. The second issue with virtually all the inexpensive 4" suspension lifts is that the fixed lower control arms that come with the kits are vastly inferior to the stock Jeep control arms. They severely limit flex, and wear out bushings fast.

The Zone 4.25" Combo lift is recommended because it is a 3" suspension lift which allows you to maintain the stock superior CA's, and is able to handle drive line angles/vibes with a motor mount lift instead of a transfer case drop. It ads a 1.25" body lift, which gives you a total of 4.25" of lift without the issues of a straight up 4" suspension lift.

Not trying to rain on your parade, just want you to know the facts....make up your own mind.
That's the best explanation I've heard and has me seriously reconsidering. Thanks for the great info! One question: How much for that motor mount lift on top of the suspension lift? It's not part of the suspension package, correct? Seems like this never ends!
SilverAuto is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-05-2014, 10:56 AM   #25
Jeeper
 
Neil F.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Marlton, NJ
Posts: 5,214
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverAuto View Post
So I almost have everything narrowed down for my exact goals on my '03 TJ (X 4.0L I-6). My dilemma right now is if I go with 33" tires instead of 32", which size lift should I go with?

I like Rough Country, but should I go 4" or would I be fine with 3.75" on a 33" tire?
1. What is you budget range on the lift, wheels/tires and labor (if you are not doing the work yourself)

2. Ok you are not doing all out off road so while Old Man, Cure and others may be great, there is no need to spend that much.

3. For 32/33 don't get stuck on 4" lifts which are borderling on requiring other parts and issues. You can do a 2 -2 1/2" lift and a body lift a lot cheaper with fewer other potential things to address. Lifts like BDS 2" are around 450-500 and is very well liked.
__________________
2003 TJ, 33" BFG AT, 2" BL, 2" BDS spring lift, Truck Lite headlights, Homemade sunrider top.
Neil F. is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-05-2014, 11:06 AM   #26
Jeeper
 
SilverAuto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil F. View Post
1. What is you budget range on the lift, wheels/tires and labor (if you are not doing the work yourself)

2. Ok you are not doing all out off road so while Old Man, Cure and others may be great, there is no need to spend that much.

3. For 32/33 don't get stuck on 4" lifts which are borderling on requiring other parts and issues. You can do a 2 -2 1/2" lift and a body lift a lot cheaper with fewer other potential things to address. Lifts like BDS 2" are around 450-500 and is very well liked.
All I can say is, for what I'm trying to do right now, I'm trying to stay in between $2-3,000. Well under $3,000 hopefully, for lift, then tires, then wheels eventually.
SilverAuto is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-05-2014, 11:18 AM   #27
Jeeper
 
SilverAuto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 98
My plan is to go ahead and order a lift, then sit on it until the time comes for new tires. Then find a place to install the lift and 33x12.50's all at once. Maybe 4 Wheel Parts or something close and hopefully quick. This is my daily driver.
SilverAuto is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-05-2014, 11:40 AM   #28
Jeeper
 
jickey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Alexander City, AL
Posts: 180
Just my $0.02 (not even really worth that.)

I put the RC 2.75" suspension lift and the RC 1.25" body lift on my TJ with the Performance 2.0 shocks (2.2 wasn't out at the time.) I'm running Metalcloak overline flat fenders all the way around with a Currie Antirock swaybar. I also run Interco Trxus 33x12.5x15 tires on 15x10 wheels. I've aired down to 10PSI on rocks and have had no trouble whatsoever. My fenders are the steel ones (added weight) and I'm running a Warn PowerPlant HD winch on the front (HEAVY.) I've had no sag whatsoever.

My setup is less than six months old. I'll see in a year or so how it performs with some age on it and change it out if needed, but so far it's performed just as I expected it to - flawlessly. As always, your mileage may vary, please consult your owner's manual, don't try this at home, all stunts performed by a professional on a closed course, not intended for children under 18, personal protective equipment required, etc.
jickey is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-05-2014, 11:45 AM   #29
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Water Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Roseville, CA
Posts: 5,057
Images: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverAuto View Post
That's the best explanation I've heard and has me seriously reconsidering. Thanks for the great info! One question: How much for that motor mount lift on top of the suspension lift? It's not part of the suspension package, correct? Seems like this never ends!
The Zone 4.25" combo lift comes with the motor mount lift and the 1.25" body lift...everything you need. The only other thing I would recommend is getting a good adjustable front track bar like metalcloak's. This will eliminate you having to relocate the axle end bolt hole hole to the weakest part of the axle bracket (all the cheap 4" kits will have you do that).
Zone Offroad 4-1/4" Combo System 97-06 Jeep Wrangler TJ J25/J26
TJ/LJ Jeep Wrangler Solid Chromoly Front Track Bar
__________________
Dennis
Water Dog is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-05-2014, 11:48 AM   #30
Jeeper
 
SilverAuto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Dog View Post
The Zone 4.25" combo lift comes with the motor mount lift and the 1.25" body lift...everything you need. The only other thing I would recommend is getting a good adjustable front track bar like metalcloak's. This will eliminate you having to relocate the axle end bolt hole hole to the weakest part of the axle bracket (all the cheap 4" kits will have you do that).
Zone Offroad 4-1/4" Combo System 97-06 Jeep Wrangler TJ J25/J26
TJ/LJ Jeep Wrangler Solid Chromoly Front Track Bar
I still have no idea what an install like this will cost. Pretty sure I'll be unable to do it myself. What am I looking at labor-wise for a lift install?

SilverAuto is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:46 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC