Which type of lift do I want'need? - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 01-01-2014, 06:19 PM   #1
2xs
Cali Smog Nazi.

WF Supporting Member
 
2xs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Santa Rosa, Ca.
Posts: 2,680
Images: 3
Which type of lift do I want'need?

Short arm? or Long Arm?

I want about 3.75-4.25"
NO Body lift
NO MML
33x12.5s

Will have a SYE, and TRE flip 1 ton steering.
2 or 3" drop Barnes skid (3" is stock drop).

Im coming from a YJ, picking up a TJ in a week or 2 (waiting for insurance settlement).

4.0L/AX15 (or NV3550)

What I do, light rock crawling, lots of off~roading in Plumas County, Ca. and it doubles as my daily driver....

__________________
'93 Black YJ, 4.0L AX15 - UNDER CONSTRUCTION!
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f330/2x...ad-490865.html
'04 SV1000s:
http://www.svrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=280873
Old Jeep that was totaled (and SOLD!):
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f330/2x...ad-101879.html
2xs is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-01-2014, 08:03 PM   #2
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Water Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Roseville, CA
Posts: 6,155
Images: 11
4" Currie is a really nice kit Savvy/Currie 3" or 4" Lift - Configurable

__________________
Dennis
Water Dog is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-01-2014, 08:42 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
larjeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: new jersey
Posts: 1,104
Check out zone or bds. Or ome.
larjeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-01-2014, 09:01 PM   #4
2xs
Cali Smog Nazi.

WF Supporting Member
 
2xs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Santa Rosa, Ca.
Posts: 2,680
Images: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Dog View Post
4" Currie is a really nice kit Savvy/Currie 3" or 4" Lift - Configurable
For that price I can buy a whole 2.5L YJ....
__________________
'93 Black YJ, 4.0L AX15 - UNDER CONSTRUCTION!
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f330/2x...ad-490865.html
'04 SV1000s:
http://www.svrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=280873
Old Jeep that was totaled (and SOLD!):
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f330/2x...ad-101879.html
2xs is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-01-2014, 09:08 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
lovemachine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xs View Post
For that price I can buy a whole 2.5L YJ....
Quality doesn't come cheap.
lovemachine is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-01-2014, 09:27 PM   #6
2xs
Cali Smog Nazi.

WF Supporting Member
 
2xs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Santa Rosa, Ca.
Posts: 2,680
Images: 3
Funny thing is, I can find a YJ for that price, it will need work, but a YJ in GOOD condition vs a TJ, are about the same prices, 7-10K (later YJ vs 97-03 TJ, 4.0L and manual, in my area).

I was hoping to find a lift for anywhere between 500-1200$ depending on whats included, and reputation for dependability.

I know TJ lifts are more expensive then YJ lifts, but thats the difference between leafs and coils...
__________________
'93 Black YJ, 4.0L AX15 - UNDER CONSTRUCTION!
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f330/2x...ad-490865.html
'04 SV1000s:
http://www.svrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=280873
Old Jeep that was totaled (and SOLD!):
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f330/2x...ad-101879.html
2xs is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-01-2014, 11:19 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
jherrington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Baton Rouge
Posts: 2,028
By all means, go get yourself a RC lift and jack that baby up. I can tell you that I wont be taking that rout due to the bad reviews of the RC lifts. I've seem many people complain about the rough riding and lack of quality parts.
__________________
98 TJ sport 4.0L I6 356,000 miles.
No Engine, axle, tranny, or t-case rebuilds.
Check out my 5.3 swap in progress here!
jherrington is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-01-2014, 11:39 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
hooper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Rosharon, Tx.
Posts: 249
For you price range it will be short arm. I have a rubicon express 3.5 lift on my TJ. So far it has been a great lift. I have ProComp shocks and it rides a bit rough but its a TJ.
hooper is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-01-2014, 11:41 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
Zitnik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 295
I bought the 4" rough country N2 series paid $499.99

Added 33" duratracs
Added rubicon express adjustable track bar
Added dual stabilizers from rough country

Performance is nice for daylee driving and offroad for me

Upgrading to 35" or 37" tires soon

That what my rig has
Zitnik is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-01-2014, 11:50 PM   #10
2xs
Cali Smog Nazi.

WF Supporting Member
 
2xs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Santa Rosa, Ca.
Posts: 2,680
Images: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jherrington View Post
By all means, go get yourself a RC lift and jack that baby up. I can tell you that I wont be taking that rout due to the bad reviews of the RC lifts. I've seem many people complain about the rough riding and lack of quality parts.
I dont want cheap, but I dont need top of the line, that Rubicon Express hooper was talking about is expensive too. Seems i might be stuck with loads of cash on this one

What about this:
http://www.rubiconexpress.com/Lift-K...n=R%2fERE7002M

http://bds-suspension.com/product?ma...5&yr=1997-2002

and
http://www.quadratec.com/products/16117_01X0_PG.htm


Thanks guys, keep it coming.

EDITED
__________________
'93 Black YJ, 4.0L AX15 - UNDER CONSTRUCTION!
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f330/2x...ad-490865.html
'04 SV1000s:
http://www.svrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=280873
Old Jeep that was totaled (and SOLD!):
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f330/2x...ad-101879.html
2xs is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-02-2014, 12:38 AM   #11
Jeeper
 
Imped's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Indy
Posts: 3,283
You have much to learn.

Leaf springs are cheap, easy and have fewer components holding the axles in place. The performance of a link suspension can be much better (in all categories) but if you want quality, it will cost much more. Your price range is simply unreasonable if you want the parts to actually hold up to what you do.

Along with price, the learning curve is much steeper and before opening your wallet I recommend that you learn first. Until you do that, you won't understand why certain things are recommended and why others are not.....not to mention price justification. The same goes for steering--before wasting your money on that "one ton" steering learn a bit about inverted Y TJ steering.

The suspension and steering concepts used on the YJ are completely different than what's used on the TJ and until you have a solid fundamental understanding on the reasons why, don't spend any money.
__________________
Daily Driver Rock Rig
IndyORV
Imped is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-02-2014, 02:27 AM   #12
2xs
Cali Smog Nazi.

WF Supporting Member
 
2xs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Santa Rosa, Ca.
Posts: 2,680
Images: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
You have much to learn.

Leaf springs are cheap, easy and have fewer components holding the axles in place. The performance of a link suspension can be much better (in all categories) but if you want quality, it will cost much more. Your price range is simply unreasonable if you want the parts to actually hold up to what you do.

Along with price, the learning curve is much steeper and before opening your wallet I recommend that you learn first. Until you do that, you won't understand why certain things are recommended and why others are not.....not to mention price justification. The same goes for steering--before wasting your money on that "one ton" steering learn a bit about inverted Y TJ steering.

The suspension and steering concepts used on the YJ are completely different than what's used on the TJ and until you have a solid fundamental understanding on the reasons why, don't spend any money.
I was Chrysler trained (worked at Autoworld Dodge, Chrysler Jeep. in Petaluma Ca. a few years), in 2005 I went back to a GM dealer (Im fully GM trained, to 2008 stuff) Im no dummy, and I do understand the differences, but im rusty, and I have never lifted a TJ, so, yes, Im asking questions and doing research.
Also a Star Cali smog tech, and I have ALL my ASE A1-A9, and L1....

Looks like Ill have to spend some coin, good thing the insurance company is letting me keep my YJ, I can part it out for bank!
I was also under the impression the TJ and YJ steering was similar enough, when I upgraded my YJ steering to 1 ton, I used a TJ kit, and I planned on swapping that if possible, ANYTHING to eliminate the drop Pitman arm.....

but dont get me wrong, I totally appreciate your input, and i do NOT mean to sound cocky at all (so if i do, i dont mean to).
I just want YOUR experience before I buy a sub-standard lift, so thank you for putting up with me.
__________________
'93 Black YJ, 4.0L AX15 - UNDER CONSTRUCTION!
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f330/2x...ad-490865.html
'04 SV1000s:
http://www.svrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=280873
Old Jeep that was totaled (and SOLD!):
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f330/2x...ad-101879.html
2xs is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-02-2014, 02:42 AM   #13
Jeeper
 
Imped's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Indy
Posts: 3,283
Check out Currie, Savvy Offroad (uses Currie components) and Metalcloak. If you want a quality suspension, every single component can be sourced from one of those companies, along with some of the very best body armor, fenders, etc. on the market.
__________________
Daily Driver Rock Rig
IndyORV
Imped is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-02-2014, 02:55 AM   #14
Jeeper
 
orange_sport_4.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 241
Look at the Zone 4.25 inch combo. It has a quality 3" suspension lift, 1.25 inch body lift, and 1" motor mount lift. You don't have to run any transfer case drops or special driveshafts. Best part is its about $575. Or you could opt for the zone 3" lift only.
orange_sport_4.0 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-02-2014, 05:07 AM   #15
Jeeper
 
Imped's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Indy
Posts: 3,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange_sport_4.0 View Post
Look at the Zone 4.25 inch combo. It has a quality 3" suspension lift, 1.25 inch body lift, and 1" motor mount lift. You don't have to run any transfer case drops or special driveshafts. Best part is its about $575. Or you could opt for the zone 3" lift only.
I just don't understand the whole Zone craze. From what I've seen, their coils are fine (nothing special), their shocks are on the low end of the spectrum (this doesn't mean they will ride poorly) and the body lift consists of cheap plastic pucks. Their stuff gets recommended far more than it's warranted.

The OP specifically stated that he's going to run a higher clearance transfer case skid plate. Therefore, he will need a SYE, double cardan drive shaft and rear adjustable control arms at a bare minimum. There's nothing special about the Zone springs, shocks and MML to help out driveline angles.....personally, at that height the factory slip yoke rear output and factory rear drive shaft are beyond their operating boundaries, as are the factory control arms.

A little learning goes a long way in regards to suspension. Knowledge is power.
__________________
Daily Driver Rock Rig
IndyORV
Imped is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-02-2014, 09:48 AM   #16
Jeeper
 
orange_sport_4.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post

I just don't understand the whole Zone craze. From what I've seen, their coils are fine (nothing special), their shocks are on the low end of the spectrum (this doesn't mean they will ride poorly) and the body lift consists of cheap plastic pucks. Their stuff gets recommended far more than it's warranted.

The OP specifically stated that he's going to run a higher clearance transfer case skid plate. Therefore, he will need a SYE, double cardan drive shaft and rear adjustable control arms at a bare minimum. There's nothing special about the Zone springs, shocks and MML to help out driveline angles.....personally, at that height the factory slip yoke rear output and factory rear drive shaft are beyond their operating boundaries, as are the factory control arms.

A little learning goes a long way in regards to suspension. Knowledge is power.
Thanks for the heads up, but that's nothing that I didn't already know. I am not currently considering zone for my jeep, but I thought that they might be the best option for his budget. You can see my post about old man emu below. That's what I'll be running in the future.

orange_sport_4.0 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:51 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC