Why are cops so Ignorant? - Page 2 - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 02-28-2013, 10:54 PM   #31
Jeeper
 
Wendy-TJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Forest, VA
Posts: 76
You people kill me, "yes sir, no sir". Right is right regardless of who you are or what position you hold. Me, I am going down kicking and screaming. To stubborn to change.

Wendy-TJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-28-2013, 10:55 PM   #32
Rocking YJ

WF Supporting Member
 
minisaba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: So Cal
Posts: 829
Images: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy-TJ View Post
You people kill me, "yes sir, no sir". Right is right regardless of who you are or what position you hold. Me, I am going down kicking and screaming. To stubborn to change.
Good for you... good luck.

minisaba is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-28-2013, 10:57 PM   #33
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Lee's Summit, MO
Posts: 50
If you think that only people smarter and more knowledgable than you are allowed positions of more power and authority, then you might still be a teenager (in fact, or in practice).

Choose your battles. <- Three words that will serve you well.

Sometimes being right just doesn't matter. You weren't arguing with a judge or prosecuting attorney, you were arguing with a mall cop. Way to show the guy who makes $.50 more than minimum wage. Now you are right and get to show up in court. Big win.
Kssun is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-28-2013, 11:00 PM   #34
Jeeper
 
00tj2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 1,230
Well this happened after 3 hrs of math class!!! WTF, you should of said that earlier!( I being dead serious and not sarcastic here)!! I love math but I really suck at anything above algebra. Keep up the hard work in school and don't let this experience set your future on how all LEO act, because it is not.
__________________
I know a lot of things, most of them are only correct in my own head...

Better to be judged by twelve then carried by six. I'm sure this is going to get me in trouble down the line
00tj2 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-28-2013, 11:01 PM   #35
Jeeper
 
jgorm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDave View Post
In my many years on this planet, I have figured out it's best not to argue or challenge the LEO's.
.
haha, me too. I've opened my mouth in the past, but now it's "yes officer". If I could argue like this guy, I would!

__________________
my 06 LJ rubicon
2.5" SL, 1" BL, DIY highline, 35s with double beadlocks.
jgorm is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-28-2013, 11:11 PM   #36
Jeeper
 
coastalwrangler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kssun View Post
If you think that only people smarter and more knowledgable than you are allowed positions of more power and authority, then you might still be a teenager (in fact, or in practice).

Choose your battles. <- Three words that will serve you well.

Sometimes being right just doesn't matter. You weren't arguing with a judge or prosecuting attorney, you were arguing with a mall cop. Way to show the guy who makes $.50 more than minimum wage. Now you are right and get to show up in court. Big win.
If you'll read thoroughly you'll see that he doesn't have to show up in court. Previous posts have made your point without the sarcasm. Personally I'd rather argue with a mall cop because they can get away with a lot less than a judge or PA in the long run. For future reference constructive is better than destructive.

To the OP, I won't disagree with how you handled the situation. A handy skill is being able to tell the difference between the LEOs that are actually concerned with serving and protecting and the ones who are just trying to flex. I'll admit that I have a mean streak when it comes to being stopped for stupid things. Being able to read the temperament of the officer can make it a much less stressful situation.
coastalwrangler is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-28-2013, 11:13 PM   #37
Jeeper
 
530ktm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 3,705
Images: 3
I wish more cops would target the people with the dumb ass head lights they buy at the local auto parts store that blind the crap out of anyone in front of them. Some of these lights have no proper aim and point right into your back window so you can not see shit while driving on the freeway at night time. To make matter worse, these lights are blue in color and are not even as bright as the stock head lights, just junk people stick in. Putting in nice quality headlights is one thing but these crappy lights need to go away.
530ktm is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-28-2013, 11:15 PM   #38
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgorm View Post
haha, me too. I've opened my mouth in the past, but now it's "yes officer". If I could argue like this guy, I would!

Wow, wish I was that knowledged about laws... But then again, that guy on Youtube prolly been thru that before.
RevCo666 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-28-2013, 11:18 PM   #39
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Lee's Summit, MO
Posts: 50
Coastal called me out and is right. I could have been more positive but I stand by my point.

Pick your battles and spend more time wheeling and less time arguing with cops.
Kssun is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-28-2013, 11:20 PM   #40
Rocking YJ

WF Supporting Member
 
minisaba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: So Cal
Posts: 829
Images: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 530ktm View Post
I wish more cops would target the people with the dumb ass head lights they buy at the local auto parts store that blind the crap out of anyone in front of them. Some of these lights have no proper aim and point right into your back window so you can not see shit while driving on the freeway at night time. To make matter worse, these lights are blue in color and are not even as bright as the stock head lights, just junk people stick in. Putting in nice quality headlights is one thing but these crappy lights need to go away.
Some cars have their headlights pointing at my rear view mirror and they are lower then my bumper. Wish i had a hammer to smash them everytime.
minisaba is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-28-2013, 11:26 PM   #41
Jeeper
 
tkfx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: La Crescenta, CA
Posts: 944
Thank you everyone for sharing your opinions, we have such a diverse group of great people in the jeep world!

I will continue to drive with my fogs on, I will make sure tonight that they are indeed for sure aligned properly, then if that officer or any officer decides to ticket me for that reason then I will gladly take it to court.

Sorry to anyone if I was offensive in any way, just stating my opinion and my position. Im a type of guy that looks at the facts, in this particular case I was fighting because I knew the law because I looked this up before hand. On other cases it would have been a yes sir no sir.

Next time I shall record my encounter If I come across this same PO.

What Ive learned:
Carry a gun
Shine your highbeams at passing officers
rev your engine when they are looking at you
flip the bird as you speed away
honk with your train horns when they chase you
Dont stop until you run out of gas

On a more serious note:
Dont fight the officer, fight in the courtroom.
Officers are not always right
Yes sir no sir gets you out of a situation faster then arguing

For people reading this in the future. It is not illegal to drive with your headlight AND two fog lights on at the same time in california. Just make sure everything is mounted, and aligned properly.

It is illegal to have more than 4 auxilary lights on at the same time
It is illegal to only be using fog lights at night


Sidenote: Screw California laws!
tkfx is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-28-2013, 11:31 PM   #42
Rocking YJ

WF Supporting Member
 
minisaba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: So Cal
Posts: 829
Images: 3
And taxes.
minisaba is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-28-2013, 11:32 PM   #43
Jeeper
 
FreezerJeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Beaumont
Posts: 642
And remember, saying sorry isn't always admitting you are wrong, its just that you are willing to move past this situation.

Bryce
__________________
2012 JKU Arctic Edition
2011 Subaru Imprezza
FreezerJeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-28-2013, 11:32 PM   #44
Jeeper
 
Hank the Tank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy-TJ
You people kill me, "yes sir, no sir". Right is right regardless of who you are or what position you hold. Me, I am going down kicking and screaming. To stubborn to change.
I'm with this guy. The reflexive deference to police regardless of right and wrong is nonsense. If you know the law, stand up for yourself, take the ticket, and beat him in court. One of the greatest thing about this country is our equality under the law--badge or not.

Edit...with this lady. Sorry, Wendy!
Hank the Tank is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-28-2013, 11:32 PM   #45
Jeeper
 
cctriesch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkfx View Post
ME: "Because I can. Why do you ask?"
Not trying to be a jerk.. But I grew up in a neighborhood with a 200:1 citizen to cop ratio.

You screwed up with that smart a** comment right there. Now 90% of cops are good people like you and me, so give them a chance and be polite.

Actually one of the thing that many inner city cops have to go through is social training. They have to do this because when they become cops they are sent to the outside of society. It is actually a very sad thing if you think about it. They become hated by their friends because they have to give their life and time to the squad. Their parents are constantly worried about their well being. Thugs want to kill them. And their wives usually end up in rehab for all the prozac they take.

Next time you are around another cop, do a little experiment for me.

Show them courtesy, be kind, turn on your overhead light, turn off your engine. For gods sake shake their hand and admit you were speeding. These may not be the most liked people in the world but when it is 3am and you just held up 3 gangsters in your living room for robbing your house as your wife and children are not far away I cannot think of anyone else who will show up.

Flame away for my defending cops for their necessary "evil" as so many portray
cctriesch is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-28-2013, 11:36 PM   #46
Jeeper
 
tkfx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: La Crescenta, CA
Posts: 944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank the Tank View Post
I'm with this guy. The reflexive deference to police regardless of right and wrong is nonsense. If you know the law, stand up for yourself, take the ticket, and beat him in court. One of the greatest thing about this country is our equality under the law--badge or not.

Edit...with this lady. Sorry, Wendy!
Im with you. If you know the law fight it in court. Not with the officer. Lesson learned.
tkfx is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-28-2013, 11:39 PM   #47
Jeeper
 
tkfx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: La Crescenta, CA
Posts: 944
Quote:
Originally Posted by cctriesch View Post
Not trying to be a jerk.. But I grew up in a neighborhood with a 200:1 citizen to cop ratio.

You screwed up with that smart a** comment right there. Now 90% of cops are good people like you and me, so give them a chance and be polite.

Actually one of the thing that many inner city cops have to go through is social training. They have to do this because when they become cops they are sent to the outside of society. It is actually a very sad thing if you think about it. They become hated by their friends because they have to give their life and time to the squad. Their parents are constantly worried about their well being. Thugs want to kill them. And their wives usually end up in rehab for all the prozac they take.

Next time you are around another cop, do a little experiment for me.

Show them courtesy, be kind, turn on your overhead light, turn off your engine. For gods sake shake their hand and admit you were speeding. These may not be the most liked people in the world but when it is 3am and you just held up 3 gangsters in your living room for robbing your house as your wife and children are not far away I cannot think of anyone else who will show up.

Flame away for my defending cops for their necessary "evil" as so many portray
I understand where you come from, part of my response to the officer was partly due to me being annoyed from doing math for 3 hours 10 minutes prior to the incident. So when a campus PD questions me on why im doing something thats not illegal, kinds brings the bad side of me.
tkfx is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-28-2013, 11:41 PM   #48
Jeeper
 
Tweak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Keller, TX
Posts: 2,336
I drive with my fog lights on during the day because I feel it is safer to have some sort of lights on at all times, and I would rather burn out a fog light than a headlamp.
Tweak is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-28-2013, 11:45 PM   #49
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweak View Post
I drive with my fog lights on during the day because I feel it is safer to have some sort of lights on at all times, and I would rather burn out a fog light than a headlamp.
Did you disconnect your daytime driving lights?
RevCo666 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-01-2013, 12:08 AM   #50
Jeeper
 
jadmt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: missoula
Posts: 6,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweak View Post
I drive with my fog lights on during the day because I feel it is safer to have some sort of lights on at all times, and I would rather burn out a fog light than a headlamp.
not me the new wrangler fog lights are freaking$70.
jadmt is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-01-2013, 12:10 AM   #51
Jeeper
 
jadmt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: missoula
Posts: 6,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevCo666 View Post
Did you disconnect your daytime driving lights?
new wranglers don't have drl's in the USA.
jadmt is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-01-2013, 12:12 AM   #52
Jeeper
 
jadmt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: missoula
Posts: 6,083
Most jeeps sit up much higher then lowly patrol cars so it is highly possible that your lights were shining right in his eyes even if they were not shining upwards. Could have been a difference in levels between the two surfaces you were on as well.
jadmt is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-01-2013, 12:13 AM   #53
Jeeper
 
Raiderfan001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Knob Noster, MO
Posts: 7,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00tj2 View Post
Ok, so you did have all four lights on. Again, to argue when you were only getting a warning is stupid. On top of that if it was a CHP officer I'm pretty sure that he knows more than you and me and anyone else on here unless they are a lawyer in California or a CHP or local officer.
A lot of police don't know most of the laws just like any other person. Thats like saying police are better trained at shooting because they're police...which simply isn't true. A lot of them can't shoot for sh**...

Most police i've encountered were all good guys and down to earth like anybody else. But there are those ones that just should not be wearing a badge because they are not up to the task or joined for the wrong reasons.
Raiderfan001 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-01-2013, 12:17 AM   #54
Jeeper
 
Orange Krusher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Northwest suburb of a suburb of Chi Town
Posts: 893
I keep hearing in my head:

I fought the law and the law one.

Ugh get it out of my head!!!!!!
__________________
Who says you can't wear pearls (chrome) while you are muddin?
Krushr
Fox River Jeep Club
Orange Krusher is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-01-2013, 12:18 AM   #55
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadmt View Post
new wranglers don't have drl's in the USA.
I did not know that... I hate my DRL but oh well... lol
RevCo666 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-01-2013, 01:27 AM   #56
Jeeper
 
eagle223's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevCo666 View Post

I did not know that... I hate my DRL but oh well... lol
Canadian model TJs have DRLs, the ones for the American market don't have them. I don't know what the laws are that require the differences, only reason I know is because my insurance and auto parts counters both asked me if I had DRLs
eagle223 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-01-2013, 01:39 AM   #57
Jeeper
 
Wondertwin1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Northwest Florida
Posts: 755
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle223

Canadian model TJs have DRLs, the ones for the American market don't have them. I don't know what the laws are that require the differences, only reason I know is because my insurance and auto parts counters both asked me if I had DRLs
What are DRL's?
__________________
I woke up this morning with good intentions, then idiots happened
Wondertwin1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-01-2013, 01:42 AM   #58
Jeeper
 
UFOtestpilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 1,818
Daytime Running Lights
__________________
For some, it is easier to kill the light inside of themselves than it is to fight the darkness all around them.
UFOtestpilot is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-01-2013, 01:42 AM   #59
Jeeper
 
raramirez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Valencia, CA
Posts: 178
Ignorant?? Or bored? If their is not much crime where you are located, he might have just been looking to keep himself entertained by bothering you. That is probably why he didn't give you a ticket. Doesn't want to have to do all the paper work but gets 15 minutes of entertainment.
raramirez is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-01-2013, 02:06 AM   #60
Jeeper
 
mckey73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: La La Land
Posts: 9,744
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadmt View Post
new wranglers don't have drl's in the USA.
But you can get a procal and choose which lights are on for DRL's, headlights, fog lights or front turn signal lights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadmt View Post
Most jeeps sit up much higher then lowly patrol cars so it is highly possible that your lights were shining right in his eyes even if they were not shining upwards. Could have been a difference in levels between the two surfaces you were on as well.
From the factory they point very straight down, it defeats the purpose of a fog light to point up in the air.

Which brings me to my point of posting in this thread, fog lights are for fog (or other inclement weather) and parking lights are for parking.

__________________
“Animals don't hate, and we're supposed to be better than them.”

-Elvis Presley
mckey73 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:55 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC