Why hate on the mall crawlers? - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 03-12-2014, 03:14 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 118
Why hate on the mall crawlers?

I've got a question for ya. It seems there are two vastly types of jeep owners... those that stay off road and the ones that do not go off road (mall crawlers) Why does everyone hate on the mall crawlers. Hey, I like anyone that drives a jeep no matter what they do with it because if ya drive a jeep, you're alright in my book.

nissanman1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-12-2014, 03:17 PM   #2
BLZ
Jeeper
 
BLZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: british columbia
Posts: 418
Haha..I love mall crawlers.to me that means when I'm looking for a new rig,I can pick up a modified pavement princess that hasn't been beat to shit off road.my rubicon was an older lady owned mall crawler.mint inside and out,never off road.perfect.

__________________
recovering toyotaholic.
BLZ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-12-2014, 03:27 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
MarkGLHS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Ellington, Connecticut
Posts: 1,146
.........even "mall crawler" wranglers at some point have to get the owner's through some serious snow/ice (if you live in the cold belt) and all wrangler's offer the owner the best top-off driving there is. there's no hate, just different priorities.
__________________
2002 Wrangler Sahara, all stock, 5-speed, Dana 44, duel tan tops, 2nd owner.

2008 Hemi Grand Cherokee Limited 4X4, Quadradrive II, original owner, 22,000 miles.
MarkGLHS is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-12-2014, 03:35 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
05wranglercdn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 170
A lot of owners don't have the locations to off road a lot so why wouldn't you drive a jeep if you can! I take mine to the fishin hole , camping , 6 months of snow , occasional gravel pit but all the hate starts when one has to buy a new shirt and can't help but get one tire up on the curb at the mall haha
I think it's great wherever you drive a wrangler
05wranglercdn is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-12-2014, 04:11 PM   #5
OIIIIIO

WF Supporting Member
 
T2000J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: PA
Posts: 891
It is more of just busting balls some people I know never leave the road I ride them for that then they bust right back when I break something or working on it agin (mall crawlers seem to have fewer problems) . What I do know if your on the side of the road broke down (pavement princess) the most hard core jeep'r will still stop and try to help . For me it's all in fun .
__________________


JEEP WRANGLER
T2000J is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-12-2014, 06:16 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
Owen_TJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 3,890
I pretty much only hate on the owners and their rides when they:

A - are douche bags
B - render their ride useless with massive rims and what not
C - or poorly put them together which makes them unsafe on not only streets, but offroad
Owen_TJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-12-2014, 06:32 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
ChasUGC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,478
Images: 2
It's not serious, we're JK them. We Americans are known for their sarcastic sense of humor. We still love the Just Kidding Jeeps. But, it would be better if they had a True Jeep(TJ).
Now, our feelings about Hummers may be a little more serious.
__________________
ChasUGC is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-12-2014, 06:39 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
jeep_pride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by nissanman1 View Post
I've got a question for ya. It seems there are two vastly types of jeep owners... those that stay off road and the ones that do not go off road (mall crawlers) Why does everyone hate on the mall crawlers. Hey, I like anyone that drives a jeep no matter what they do with it because if ya drive a jeep, you're alright in my book.
You seriously become on of my favorite jeeps. God bless brother. This issue is literary EVERY where I turn! It's so annoying when people bash on other jeepers be vises of how they decide to use their jeep. I've had people bully other people just because of the kind of axle/tire/lift set up they had! I mean this is getting really stupid. We are all in the same community! I love jeep, and what people decide to do or not to do to THEIR jeeps is their choice. It's cool to suggest things such as off-roading, but never cool if you have someone judging because they don't. Just my opinion.
jeep_pride is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-12-2014, 06:52 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
ap5170's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 76
"Modified pavement princess". Hahahahhaa! Priceless!!!
__________________
ap5170 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-12-2014, 07:18 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
JeepandMud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 1,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by T2000J View Post
It is more of just busting balls some people I know never leave the road I ride them for that then they bust right back when I break something or working on it agin (mall crawlers seem to have fewer problems) . What I do know if your on the side of the road broke down (pavement princess) the most hard core jeep'r will still stop and try to help . For me it's all in fun .
Wait, the mall crawlers Jeep has less problems than us who go on easy-hard trails? Really? Huh, never knew lol.

To the OP: Sometimes they are the ones who know nothing about the history of the Jeep nor do they care. To them, it's a point A to point B and nothing more. Plus, they don't really want to start up a conversation. Though I must admit, they take very good care of their Jeeps for the most part than we do. They literally baby them, which can be good. Not saying us who wheel hard don't but it seems they take it a step further. In all, we are all the exact same in that we drive a Jeep and keep the legacy going.
__________________
4.0L Auto '00 Solar Yellow TJ Sport, 4.25" Zone combo lift and 33x12.50 MTR Kevlars.

Always at an angle
JeepandMud is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-12-2014, 07:22 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Post Falls, Idaho
Posts: 87
Images: 6
Every jeep is just like us we all were little then we grew up and chose a certain path in life. If we did not like it we changed the path too another direction. Every jeep has a direction it is supposed to go with each new owner.
__________________
04 LJ 4.0 auto 2" bl custom tranny/transfer skid plates custom sliders
285/75/16 duratracs custom bumpers 12k winch
dotey1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-12-2014, 07:31 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 170
I like mall crawlers. One of those well cared for babies might be my future rig. The only thing that grinds my gears is seeing a gal behind the wheel and 100% of the time she has her cell phone plastered to her ear. I don't know why that bothers me, just does.
Spud100 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-12-2014, 08:09 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
Majnoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Springfield Missouri
Posts: 3,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepandMud View Post
Wait, the mall crawlers Jeep has less problems than us who go on easy-hard trails? Really? Huh, never knew lol. To the OP: Sometimes they are the ones who know nothing about the history of the Jeep nor do they care. To them, it's a point A to point B and nothing more. Plus, they don't really want to start up a conversation. Though I must admit, they take very good care of their Jeeps for the most part than we do. They literally baby them, which can be good. Not saying us who wheel hard don't but it seems they take it a step further. In all, we are all the exact same in that we drive a Jeep and keep the legacy going.
Disagree. They probably pay for car washes and buy a new air filter and PVC valve they don't have every time they pay Jiffy Lube to wipe off there oil filter and say they got an oil change.
Majnoon is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-12-2014, 11:32 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
SEAICE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 308
Images: 10
No problem with Mall Crawlers, but they often cross a line into Posers
SEAICE is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-12-2014, 11:43 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
JeepandMud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 1,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majnoon View Post

Disagree. They probably pay for car washes and buy a new air filter and PVC valve they don't have every time they pay Jiffy Lube to wipe off there oil filter and say they got an oil change.
I know of a few that don't go to car washes and rather clean, wax, and polish their Jeep themselves because they feel they do a better job, which in some instances they do. And that they will do their own oil changes. It's more of a, "I can do better" compared to an actual shop.
__________________
4.0L Auto '00 Solar Yellow TJ Sport, 4.25" Zone combo lift and 33x12.50 MTR Kevlars.

Always at an angle
JeepandMud is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-12-2014, 11:51 PM   #16
TJZ
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
TJZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Az.
Posts: 1,531
Here's the deal. Leave the Mall Crawlers alone. At least they bought a Jeep !
This gives the brand life and keeps used Jeeps available in the future.
Do you really have a problem with picking up a used, stock Jeep when the toughest trail it's been on is the parking lot at Nordstrom or Bed Bath and Beyond ?
Love the Mall Crawler and take advantage !
And who knows, I've seen some HOT mall crawler owners ! Just sayin. Lol
TJZ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-12-2014, 11:53 PM   #17
Newb
 
Furrydogs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Northern Colorado
Posts: 13
I've had a TJ for just 2 years now and I'd say I'm in the mall crawler category currently. I've upgraded some things but they mostly are to make the jeep look better and not geared to better off road handling. The main reason I'll probably stay a mall crawler is that I couldn't bear the expense involved in upgrading and maintaining a true off road vehicle. Don't get me wrong, I will take it off road and subject it to some nasty forest service roads, but my goal is to keep it in one piece. My intention when I bought the jeep was for my wife and kids to have fun tooling around town in a convertible in the summer months. The 4wd and off-road capabilities are an added bonus.

(By the way, that dopey hood scoop on my avatar was removed a week after I bought the jeep and it has been painted)
Furrydogs is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-13-2014, 03:04 AM   #18
Jeeper
 
JeepandMud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 1,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Furrydogs View Post
I've had a TJ for just 2 years now and I'd say I'm in the mall crawler category currently. I've upgraded some things but they mostly are to make the jeep look better and not geared to better off road handling. The main reason I'll probably stay a mall crawler is that I couldn't bear the expense involved in upgrading and maintaining a true off road vehicle. Don't get me wrong, I will take it off road and subject it to some nasty forest service roads, but my goal is to keep it in one piece. My intention when I bought the jeep was for my wife and kids to have fun tooling around town in a convertible in the summer months. The 4wd and off-road capabilities are an added bonus.

(By the way, that dopey hood scoop on my avatar was removed a week after I bought the jeep and it has been painted)
My Jeep is my daily driver, so I as well cannot afford to break it. I wheel it maybe once a week during the summer months. Other than that it stays on the pavement, unless I find a nice big puddle or snowbank lol.
__________________
4.0L Auto '00 Solar Yellow TJ Sport, 4.25" Zone combo lift and 33x12.50 MTR Kevlars.

Always at an angle
JeepandMud is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-13-2014, 06:35 AM   #19
Jeeper
 
acf5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 602
I think mall crawlers get a bad rap because they aren't using their jeep for what it was (originally, not so much now) built for. It was made to go through the torn up muddy fields in wars. If they got it only because of the 4WD, there are plenty more practical, spacious, more fuel efficient vehicles out there with AWD/4WD. People like SUVs for the driving position, and you get a bit of respect when you say "I drive a Wrangler"
It is NOT the only convertible SUV, however the Murano CrossCabriolet is ugly.
I know people that just do it for looks. You can't deny a Jeep (example) with black soft 8s on 33" Mickey Thompsons, tube bumpers and lighting looks better than a Sport.
acf5 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-13-2014, 08:54 AM   #20
Jeeper
 
EatTacoCatTea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Richmond, TX
Posts: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by acf5 View Post
I think mall crawlers get a bad rap because they aren't using their jeep for what it was (originally, not so much now) built for. It was made to go through the torn up muddy fields in wars. If they got it only because of the 4WD, there are plenty more practical, spacious, more fuel efficient vehicles out there with AWD/4WD. People like SUVs for the driving position, and you get a bit of respect when you say "I drive a Wrangler"
It is NOT the only convertible SUV, however the Murano CrossCabriolet is ugly.
I know people that just do it for looks. You can't deny a Jeep (example) with black soft 8s on 33" Mickey Thompsons, tube bumpers and lighting looks better than a Sport.
I'm a mall crawler simply because I refuse to mud and would rather take trails. I have a winch with absolutely no use except for looks and 33"x12.5" tires that I would like to thin a little.
Also, this is my daily drive and would like to keep it that way, at least with only minor battle scars in its future.
EatTacoCatTea is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-13-2014, 09:27 AM   #21
Jeeper
 
-DMB-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: south Louisiana
Posts: 251
Whether you like mall crawlers or not, the unsolicited rude comments that are often posted can be attributed to this age of internet badassery. There is complete safety behind the keyboard in your parents' basement.
-DMB- is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-13-2014, 09:30 AM   #22
Jeeper
 
EatTacoCatTea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Richmond, TX
Posts: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by -DMB- View Post
Whether you like mall crawlers or not, the unsolicited rude comments that are often posted can be attributed to this age of internet badassery. There is complete safety behind the keyboard in your parents' basement.
Tell it how it is! *thumbs up
EatTacoCatTea is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-13-2014, 09:39 AM   #23
Jeeper
 
SuperTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Waleska GA
Posts: 2,135
I don't hate on them so people just want the most versatile convertible on the planet.
SuperTJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-13-2014, 10:04 AM   #24
Jeeper
 
jquinn83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Maryland
Posts: 431
I think of it as they are buying a submarine just to putter around on the surface. There's a whole new world waiting underneath the surface that you are capable of accessing and choose not to. Dive! Dive!
jquinn83 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-13-2014, 10:06 AM   #25
OIIIIIO

WF Supporting Member
 
T2000J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: PA
Posts: 891
Quote:
Originally Posted by -DMB- View Post
There is complete safety behind the keyboard in your parents' basement.
You mean
Attached Images
 
__________________


JEEP WRANGLER
T2000J is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-13-2014, 10:18 AM   #26
Jeeper
 
KC_Hawker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Too far from any coast.
Posts: 702
I hate to be nasty but here is the truth as I see it.
On another thread people asked about HD or Jeep which came first (for you)? I see a lot of similarities between the 2 fan bases. Some buy what they want because they like; others buy what they want because of the lifestyle that goes with it and call those that don't act out the lifestyle posers.

For HD, it means you are a professional 90% of the time, but for the other 10% you put on leather and act lie an ass because that's what "bikers" do. If you don't then you are not a real "biker". Sorry but I don't need a HD to get drunk or hang out with half dressed skanky ho's

For Jeeps, its the people who buy a Jeep then talk about how great their vehicle is for 10% of their driving. For a large portion of the US, off roading means driving to an offroad park a few hours away, with it being maybe 2xs the size of a mall parking lot then driving over the same rocks over and over. Then talk about how bad ass your rig is.

When I had a HD I got it because I liked metal and chrome and loved the sound of American muscle (V-8 or V-twin). I went to Bike week to look at the bikes because I love the way they look. Not to party, be a deviant or project a tough guy image - I have that on my own already.

When I got my Jeep, I bought it because I wanted a 4x4 for when I need it, and a convertible for when I want it. Far enough off the ground to comfortably get into. Small enough to turn on a dime. I also think they all look bad ass. I don't need to project some kind of backwoods image - I have that on my own already
KC_Hawker is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-13-2014, 10:37 AM   #27
Jeeper
 
FCStevensV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Jacksonville Florida
Posts: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Hawker View Post
I hate to be nasty but here is the truth as I see it.
On another thread people asked about HD or Jeep which came first (for you)? I see a lot of similarities between the 2 fan bases. Some buy what they want because they like; others buy what they want because of the lifestyle that goes with it and call those that don't act out the lifestyle posers.

For HD, it means you are a professional 90% of the time, but for the other 10% you put on leather and act lie an ass because that's what "bikers" do. If you don't then you are not a real "biker". Sorry but I don't need a HD to get drunk or hang out with half dressed skanky ho's

For Jeeps, its the people who buy a Jeep then talk about how great their vehicle is for 10% of their driving. For a large portion of the US, off roading means driving to an offroad park a few hours away, with it being maybe 2xs the size of a mall parking lot then driving over the same rocks over and over. Then talk about how bad ass your rig is.

When I had a HD I got it because I liked metal and chrome and loved the sound of American muscle (V-8 or V-twin). I went to Bike week to look at the bikes because I love the way they look. Not to party, be a deviant or project a tough guy image - I have that on my own already.

When I got my Jeep, I bought it because I wanted a 4x4 for when I need it, and a convertible for when I want it. Far enough off the ground to comfortably get into. Small enough to turn on a dime. I also think they all look bad ass. I don't need to project some kind of backwoods image - I have that on my own already
I'm with him. I feel like the jeeps can represent their owners, whatever type of person that is, and do it successfully. I've always told people new to jeeps to do with it what they want, to hell with anyone else, just have fun. To me, that's what a jeep is, the freedom to do what you want. And come on guys, I haven't used the word "poser" since high school.
FCStevensV is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-13-2014, 11:00 AM   #28
Jeeper
 
EatTacoCatTea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Richmond, TX
Posts: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCStevensV View Post

I'm with him. I feel like the jeeps can represent their owners, whatever type of person that is, and do it successfully. I've always told people new to jeeps to do with it what they want, to hell with anyone else, just have fun. To me, that's what a jeep is, the freedom to do what you want. And come on guys, I haven't used the word "poser" since high school.
J.E.E.P.- Just Everyday Evolving Personality
I would say it basically means a Jeep evolves to your personality and likes to make it your own unique ride. Regardless if you crawl on rocks or on concrete.
EatTacoCatTea is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-15-2014, 08:43 PM   #29
Jeeper
 
RMSpiel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 231
I don't hate on mall crawlers, mainly because I am one, I do plan on going off road, but currently she's a pavement princess. I haven't had the chance to take it off road, mainly because I'm in college and it's my DD, plus being a broke college student I can't afford to break anything right now. I took my previous 2004 grand Cherokee on the beach, but besides that I haven't done anything yet. The difference is that I always wave at other jeeps, even head nodded a lifted XJ. We're all one family here, the guys that are douches to other jeep owners for using them how they please shouldn't own a jeep in my opinion.
__________________

1999 Chili Pepper Red Pearl 4.0 Manual
2.5" DIY lift from 2013 JKU springs and shocks
31x11.5 TrXus STS on 15x10 Cragar
RMSpiel is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-15-2014, 08:59 PM   #30
Jeeper
 
Yakupov64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by jquinn83 View Post
I think of it as they are buying a submarine just to putter around on the surface. There's a whole new world waiting underneath the surface that you are capable of accessing and choose not to. Dive! Dive!
You Nailed it...

Yakupov64 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:32 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC