Winch on stock bumper? - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 02-01-2011, 09:33 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
All of 75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 16
Winch on stock bumper?

Is it possible to put a winch on a stock TJ bumper? Is there any kits or plates that I would need?


Thanks

__________________
Vehicles Owned:
1962 Volkswgen Karmann Ghia,
1995 Mercedes-Benz E320 W124,
2000 Lincoln Town Car,
2003 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Sport with Hemi,
All of 75 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-01-2011, 09:42 PM   #2
Newb
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 5
Totally possible. You'll need a winch plate, and they're all pretty standard. The plate will bolt into the frame through existing holes. The winch and fairlead bolt on the plate. It'll cost you $100-$150 for a decent plate. Easy one hour install.

FYI Don't buy a plate from AtoZ Fabrication. I had problems with mine. A manufacturing defect and they wouldn't make it right so I had to grind and paint it to make it fit.

partsmutt is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-01-2011, 09:47 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by partsmutt View Post
Totally possible. You'll need a winch plate, and they're all pretty standard. The plate will bolt into the frame through existing holes. The winch and fairlead bolt on the plate. It'll cost you $100-$150 for a decent plate. Easy one hour install.

FYI Don't buy a plate from AtoZ Fabrication. I had problems with mine. A manufacturing defect and they wouldn't make it right so I had to grind and paint it to make it fit.
Talking about the tabs that are supposed to fit in the grooves of the swaybar bushings? Yeah...same on my ProMark Offroad plate...but it was only $75. For that, I can do a little grinding...and otherwise it seems plenty strong enough:



But yeah, there's plenty of plates out there...easy installation.
Bubba68CS is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-01-2011, 09:57 PM   #4
Newb
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba68CS View Post
Talking about the tabs that are supposed to fit in the grooves of the swaybar bushings? ...
Nah, the plate wouldn't even sit flat. It was welded together crooked.
partsmutt is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-01-2011, 10:06 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by partsmutt View Post
Nah, the plate wouldn't even sit flat. It was welded together crooked.
Wow...thats a pretty bad defect.
Bubba68CS is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-01-2011, 10:06 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
wmpiehl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 187
Winch bumpers aren't that expensive. If you are serious about winching and wheeling consider paying a little more for a nice bumper. ARB is really expensive, but there are lots of $200-300 options
wmpiehl is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-01-2011, 10:08 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmpiehl View Post
Winch bumpers aren't that expensive. If you are serious about winching and wheeling consider paying a little more for a nice bumper. ARB is really expensive, but there are lots of $200-300 options
Plates mount the winch the same as the bumpers do...right to the frame.
Bubba68CS is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-01-2011, 10:18 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
zimi117's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 446
Crap just baught a push bar for my jeep, but i think there is a bar outline to low to fit a winch. Dont wanna ditch the bar
Any good winches to look out for that are somewhat shorter??
zimi117 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-01-2011, 10:22 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by zimi117 View Post
Crap just baught a push bar for my jeep, but i think there is a bar outline to low to fit a winch. Dont wanna ditch the bar
Any good winches to look out for that are somewhat shorter??
Pics of the push bar? The Warn M8000 (shown in my pic) or similar are low profile winches...you can mount the solenoid box wherever you want (I mounted mine on the winch, but could have put it under the hood with some longer wires)
Bubba68CS is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-01-2011, 10:30 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
All of 75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 16
I would like to keep the stock bumper, and remove those "milk jug" lookin things; put on a KC lightbar for 5 lights; and a winch.

So it sounds like with a mounting plate, the winch will mount fine?
__________________
Vehicles Owned:
1962 Volkswgen Karmann Ghia,
1995 Mercedes-Benz E320 W124,
2000 Lincoln Town Car,
2003 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Sport with Hemi,
All of 75 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-01-2011, 10:42 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
rattycaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Hartland, WI
Posts: 76
You will need to check the dimensions on the KC light bar, it may not clear the fairlead on the winch plate or interfere with the cable
rattycaddy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-01-2011, 10:44 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
meyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Dover, New Hampshire
Posts: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by All of 75 View Post
I would like to keep the stock bumper, and remove those "milk jug" lookin things; put on a KC lightbar for 5 lights; and a winch.

So it sounds like with a mounting plate, the winch will mount fine?
Yup just pick up a winch mount plate and good to go. No new bumper needed.
meyers is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-02-2011, 01:05 AM   #13
Jeeper
 
All of 75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by rattycaddy View Post
You will need to check the dimensions on the KC light bar, it may not clear the fairlead on the winch plate or interfere with the cable
I would get one like this: KC HiLiTES 7402 - KC HiLiTES Bumper Hoop Bar with 5 Light Mounts for 97-06 Jeep® Wrangler TJ & Unlimited - Quadratec

It says it was designed to clear winches in the actual paper catalogue, and it has a picture with a stock bumper holding this and a winch.
__________________
Vehicles Owned:
1962 Volkswgen Karmann Ghia,
1995 Mercedes-Benz E320 W124,
2000 Lincoln Town Car,
2003 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Sport with Hemi,
All of 75 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-02-2011, 01:01 PM   #14
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NW Florida
Posts: 87
I like my Tomken winch plate. Havent check prices but I thought it was a good deal way back when...

worked with my stock bumper and my custom AtoZ bumper...
tw_jeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-03-2011, 09:45 AM   #15
Jeeper
 
alstjruby03's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: washington
Posts: 242

here is mine.
alstjruby03 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-03-2011, 09:52 AM   #16
Jeeper
 
jgorm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,918


Its the milemarker plate. $60
Mile Marker 50-87283 Winch Mounting Channel

jgorm is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Poison Spyder Brawler Lite Front Bumper for JK DTS Vendor Spotlight! Great Deals for Members. 54 07-26-2014 06:48 PM
Show us your stock bumper mods.... jtsivo JK General Discussion Forum 42 04-01-2012 08:24 AM
Questions about xhd winch bumper ncossey JK General Discussion Forum 3 09-22-2010 06:03 PM
winch on stock bumper Mud-4-Life TJ General Discussion Forum 10 08-02-2010 12:17 AM
stock front bumper for winch mount? x98cobra TJ General Discussion Forum 7 10-06-2008 10:55 AM



» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:28 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC