Worn mounts or normal movement? - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 04-06-2011, 01:25 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
n00bkiller944's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: VA 703/757
Posts: 161
Worn mounts or normal movement?

My jeep when I accelerate from a stop the left side pulls up more than the right. Also if I am sitting in neutral and rev the jeep the left front pulls up again and my jeep rocks back and forth. While it's cool because I feel like I'm driving an old 442 or mustang lol. I just wanted to see if this was normal, and if not what mounts to check.

Thanks!

n00bkiller944 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-06-2011, 01:43 PM   #2
The Rogue Moderator

::WF Moderator::
 
Cons_Table's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ridgecrest, CA
Posts: 7,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by n00bkiller944 View Post
My jeep when I accelerate from a stop the left side pulls up more than the right. Also if I am sitting in neutral and rev the jeep the left front pulls up again and my jeep rocks back and forth. While it's cool because I feel like I'm driving an old 442 or mustang lol. I just wanted to see if this was normal, and if not what mounts to check.

Thanks!
I am pretty sure this is all normal...mine does the same thing.

__________________
Poor Boy Racing The definition of the EVERYMAN Challenge!

Everyman Challenge XJ Build
Cons_Table is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-06-2011, 01:46 PM   #3
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
TexasT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 754
I would first check your sway bar connects and bushings. It's common for one side to break and cause symptoms like you are having. Remember there is an anti sway bar front and rear so check all four connections.
It's not a normal condition but is common.
__________________
1999 Sahara
D30 w/powertrax no-slip,D35 w/ultimate 35 upgrade OX locker,4.56 gears,Air on Board, Mile Marker Winch
Warn Lockout Hubs

FIVE GRANDCHILDREN!!!!
TexasT is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-06-2011, 02:02 PM   #4
The Rogue Moderator

::WF Moderator::
 
Cons_Table's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ridgecrest, CA
Posts: 7,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasT
I would first check your sway bar connects and bushings. It's common for one side to break and cause symptoms like you are having. Remember there is an anti sway bar front and rear so check all four connections.
It's not a normal condition but is common.
Mine is just a slight lift, nothing serious at all. If it were more excessive I would think that something isn't normal...
__________________
Poor Boy Racing The definition of the EVERYMAN Challenge!

Everyman Challenge XJ Build
Cons_Table is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-07-2011, 12:27 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
Motofam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Topeka, Ks
Posts: 21
My Jeep did this when I first got it. It turned out right sway bar connect was missing the bolt that holds it to the axle. I got a new bolt & problem solved.
Motofam is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-07-2011, 12:33 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
ygohome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 1,428
normal.

it is why the passanger side rear springs sag more than the others because of the massive torque from our mighty motors
__________________

Frank Bullitt (BULLZ)
April 2001 - Sept 2011
ygohome is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-07-2011, 12:39 PM   #7
The Rogue Moderator

::WF Moderator::
 
Cons_Table's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ridgecrest, CA
Posts: 7,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by ygohome View Post
normal.

it is why the passanger side rear springs sag more than the others because of the massive torque from our mighty motors
Thats what i thought! I knew I read that somewhere!
__________________
Poor Boy Racing The definition of the EVERYMAN Challenge!

Everyman Challenge XJ Build
Cons_Table is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-07-2011, 01:26 PM   #8
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
TexasT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 754
If you have not checked your sway bar connects, how can you say it's normal? The problem you describe is not normal to my jeep and my sway bar bushings and connects are all in place. When one broke it gave me the symptoms you describe. Get a little dirty and get under the jeep. Might be an easy fix like Motofam did.
__________________
1999 Sahara
D30 w/powertrax no-slip,D35 w/ultimate 35 upgrade OX locker,4.56 gears,Air on Board, Mile Marker Winch
Warn Lockout Hubs

FIVE GRANDCHILDREN!!!!
TexasT is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-07-2011, 01:30 PM   #9
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
TexasT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cons_Table View Post
Mine is just a slight lift, nothing serious at all. If it were more excessive I would think that something isn't normal...
The sway bars have nothing to do with the lift. The length of the links need to be changed when you add a lift, but they are still there. Some can be disconnected for offroad but on the road they are what controls the rolling of the jeep and if one is broken it puts the jeep into an abnormal condition.
__________________
1999 Sahara
D30 w/powertrax no-slip,D35 w/ultimate 35 upgrade OX locker,4.56 gears,Air on Board, Mile Marker Winch
Warn Lockout Hubs

FIVE GRANDCHILDREN!!!!
TexasT is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-07-2011, 01:39 PM   #10
The Rogue Moderator

::WF Moderator::
 
Cons_Table's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ridgecrest, CA
Posts: 7,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasT View Post
If you have not checked your sway bar connects, how can you say it's normal? The problem you describe is not normal to my jeep and my sway bar bushings and connects are all in place. When one broke it gave me the symptoms you describe. Get a little dirty and get under the jeep. Might be an easy fix like Motofam did.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasT View Post
The sway bars have nothing to do with the lift. The length of the links need to be changed when you add a lift, but they are still there. Some can be disconnected for offroad but on the road they are what controls the rolling of the jeep and if one is broken it puts the jeep into an abnormal condition.
I know what sway bars, sway bar links, and disconnects are. I also know their purpose. My links and bushings are all in good shape and I still have some of this "lift." It has had this since the day I bought it.
__________________
Poor Boy Racing The definition of the EVERYMAN Challenge!

Everyman Challenge XJ Build
Cons_Table is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-07-2011, 01:41 PM   #11
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 31,762
Images: 2
A slight amount of engine shift due to torque while revving the engine is normal. But since motor mounts can and do break, what you are seeing may be more than is usual and you really should check on the side it is rotating away from. Watch the driver's side motor mount while someone else revs the engine and look to see if the engine is lifting up from a broken driver's side mount. Due to the direction the engine rotates, it is the driver's side motor mount that, if broken, would allow the engine to lift up off from the motor mount while it is being revved.
__________________
Remember that having a different opinion doesn't also require one to be a jerk when expressing it.

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-07-2011, 02:00 PM   #12
The Rogue Moderator

::WF Moderator::
 
Cons_Table's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ridgecrest, CA
Posts: 7,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
A slight amount of engine shift due to torque while revving the engine is normal.
This was what I was getting at that was normal. This what I experience and have experienced since day 1

__________________
Poor Boy Racing The definition of the EVERYMAN Challenge!

Everyman Challenge XJ Build
Cons_Table is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Front driveshaft movement & noise MLaborde TJ General Discussion Forum 1 03-31-2011 03:21 PM
Trackbar movement on 06 TJ Unlimited RedskinsFan TJ General Discussion Forum 0 11-21-2010 12:45 PM
Hutaree jupiterboy Off-Topic 68 04-08-2010 05:16 AM
Is this normal? ExDementia YJ General Discussion Forum 15 12-18-2008 08:53 PM
bump *clunk* ??? bmanrkg3 TJ General Discussion Forum 18 08-24-2006 12:27 AM



» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:03 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC