Y? a TJ over a YJ other than suspension. - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 07-18-2013, 03:39 PM   #1
Newb
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 11
Y? a TJ over a YJ other than suspension.

I have actually found more yj's in better shape than tj's most tj's have been rust buckets.

dawj is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-18-2013, 03:50 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
Dextreme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Oregon City, OR
Posts: 3,530
Images: 1
TJ has a way better dash layout. Also I have heard the TJ softtop design is way better/easier.

Oh and Round headllghts put out like 700 more HP over Square.

__________________
'99 Chilli Pepper TJ Wrangler "Mistress"
33x12.5 DuraTracs
Zone 4.25"
Dextreme is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-18-2013, 04:34 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
s14sh3r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Clayton, OK
Posts: 2,049
A word of warning about YJ's. Drive one long enough and you'll start to look like this:

s14sh3r is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-18-2013, 04:38 PM   #4
Wild Willys!

WF Supporting Member
 
All Terrain JK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: MI
Posts: 1,435
Who wants to look through windshield wipers all the time?
__________________
Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads!
Frame off TJ restore project
All Terrain JK is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-18-2013, 04:50 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
Chuck59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Indiana
Posts: 102
Images: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawj View Post
I have actually found more yj's in better shape than tj's most tj's have been rust buckets.
Keep looking. They are out there. Find the ONE vehicle at the right price that calls your name. After you buy it, there is lot of labor involved, so you'll need to love it. Not one of the smartest buys you'll make, but definitely one of the most enjoyable
Chuck59 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-18-2013, 05:53 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
mudmagnet63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Whiskey River OK
Posts: 556
Vacuum lines, lot's of vacuum lines. If yo buy a YJ just buy a whole roll of VL and start replacing.
__________________
BAD TOAD

1998 4.0 5 speed, Superior super 35 rear, Superior super 30 front, yukon air lockers x2. 3" Terra Flex suspension lift, 1.25" BL, 1" MML Engo 9K winch, Dick Cepeck Radial F-C 33/12.5/15.
mudmagnet63 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-18-2013, 08:19 PM   #7
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
jeepwayoflife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: California/Montana
Posts: 3,163
Easier to get TJ parts and probably upgrades too. TJ's have amazing aftermarket support.
__________________
--------------------------------------------------------
jeepwayoflife is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-18-2013, 10:17 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: virginia
Posts: 17
Test drove a yj one time. Only thing I liked about it was the fact it was a wrangler. Hated looking through that winshield and it rode about as smooth as a conastoga wagon on the Oregon Trail. So glad I bought a tj. Better windshield view and it rides smooth. Be patient and get yourself a tj. You won't regret it. Oh, forgot to add its easier to find a tj with ac than it is finding a yj with air if that matters to you.
tj steve is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-18-2013, 10:39 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
MountainMan96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by tj steve View Post
Test drove a yj one time. Only thing I liked about it was the fact it was a wrangler. Hated looking through that winshield and it rode about as smooth as a conastoga wagon on the Oregon Trail. So glad I bought a tj. Better windshield view and it rides smooth. Be patient and get yourself a tj. You won't regret it. Oh, forgot to add its easier to find a tj with ac than it is finding a yj with air if that matters to you.
Where did u get a tj that rides smooth? Mine is like having rocks for suspention
MountainMan96 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-18-2013, 10:44 PM   #10
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
jeepwayoflife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: California/Montana
Posts: 3,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMan96 View Post

Where did u get a tj that rides smooth? Mine is like having rocks for suspention
Proper spring rates for your jeep weight, good quality shocks, and quality joints on control arms.
__________________
--------------------------------------------------------
jeepwayoflife is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-18-2013, 10:51 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
Rubi513's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Conroe, Texas
Posts: 1,578
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawj View Post
I have actually found more yj's in better shape than tj's most tj's have been rust buckets.
Where are you located? There are TJs all over TX, and they aren't rusted out.
__________________
"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
Rubi513 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-18-2013, 10:52 PM   #12
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
O_M_Jeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: South Central Wyoming
Posts: 1,112
TJ's do have a better designed soft top (at least as far as door surrounds), I like the coil suspension better personally however, leaf-sprung definately has some real advantages.

Drivetrain-wise, the two are very similar, your not going to find a huge amount of pros and cons until you start looking at automatic transmissions, other than that they are basically the same.

YJs are tougher, the tub is a bit tougher, the roll bar (pre '93) is better designed to actually protect the front seat occupants, and the crown jewel of the YJs toughness - you can take a garden hose to the dashboard and it will all still work and it will still run.

TJ aftermarket parts are more abundant and cheaper, but YJ parts are cheaper than JK parts by miles.

A lot of serious Jeep enthusiasts really do believe Jeep lost there focus during the design of the YJ, personally I don't think that's true, it's closer to the CJs than the TJ and the CJ was the staple for a great many years.

The real debate - round or square -

for 57 of it's years our Jeeps have had round headlights, for 10 years they were square, so you have to admit, even the die-hard YJ folks, that the predominant headlight for Jeeps have been round. I have seen quite a few threads about how to go from square to round, I don't recall more than one (and I may be making that one up in my head) about going round to square.

In the end, we are all members of one seriously large, addicted, insanely dedicated family of Jeep lovers, and I would happily hit the trail with anyone in any Jeep from a CJ 2,3,5,7, or 8 or YJ to a JK to a WJ (and even a few Toyotas and Sammi's if they want).

Some of the toughest truggies and crawlers I have ever run with have been YJs, I have a few friends with awesome YJs.

We are all Jeep people, and we have to stick together no matter what model we're running.
__________________
There are a million ways to build a Jeep, pick one and do it - you bought a canvas, not a painting!

Click here to support Wranglerforum
Or else the teddy bear gets it
O_M_Jeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-18-2013, 10:59 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
Rubi513's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Conroe, Texas
Posts: 1,578
Quote:
Originally Posted by O_M_Jeep View Post
TJ's do have a better designed soft top (at least as far as door surrounds), I like the coil suspension better personally however, leaf-sprung definately has some real advantages.

Drivetrain-wise, the two are very similar, your not going to find a huge amount of pros and cons until you start looking at automatic transmissions, other than that they are basically the same.

YJs are tougher, the tub is a bit tougher, the roll bar (pre '93) is better designed to actually protect the front seat occupants, and the crown jewel of the YJs toughness - you can take a garden hose to the dashboard and it will all still work and it will still run.

TJ aftermarket parts are more abundant and cheaper, but YJ parts are cheaper than JK parts by miles.

A lot of serious Jeep enthusiasts really do believe Jeep lost there focus during the design of the YJ, personally I don't think that's true, it's closer to the CJs than the TJ and the CJ was the staple for a great many years.

The real debate - round or square -

for 57 of it's years our Jeeps have had round headlights, for 10 years they were square, so you have to admit, even the die-hard YJ folks, that the predominant headlight for Jeeps have been round. I have seen quite a few threads about how to go from square to round, I don't recall more than one (and I may be making that one up in my head) about going round to square.

In the end, we are all members of one seriously large, addicted, insanely dedicated family of Jeep lovers, and I would happily hit the trail with anyone in any Jeep from a CJ 2,3,5,7, or 8 or YJ to a JK to a WJ (and even a few Toyotas and Sammi's if they want).

Some of the toughest truggies and crawlers I have ever run with have been YJs, I have a few friends with awesome YJs.

We are all Jeep people, and we have to stick together no matter what model we're running.
Well said
__________________
"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
Rubi513 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-19-2013, 05:53 AM   #14
Jeeper
 
JGreen06TJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 818
For me the difference was vehicle age and miles. I was looking for as new as I could afford as I'm not mechanically inclined. I'm learning slowly (thanks to this forum) but I thought I'd have better luck with a newer vehicle. It took a while, but I found a very clean '06 sitting on the side of the road for the same price as '99-'00 models I was seeing on Craigslist. Purchased it for a weekend toy and it's now my daily driver.
JGreen06TJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-19-2013, 07:24 AM   #15
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
yoopone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Suburban Chicago and the UP of Michigan
Posts: 596
We have 4 TJ's and 1 YJ. There is no comparison with the ride on the trail. TJ by far is more comfortable. Probably the TJ's are faster, nicer dash, top is infinitely easier, the screws holes on the top of the windshield on the YJ are getting a little worn out, etc. Fuel injection over my carburated 89 is awesome too. But we all love that YJ. We have had it for 19 years now and it is a beast. Goes through every swamp, climbs every hill, hops downed trees on the trail, just a great Jeep. My 26 year old son grabs it every time when we are heading out on the trails. Just love that Jeep!
__________________
1989 YJ
1997 TJ
1999 TJ
2006 TJ
2005 TJ Rubicon
yoopone is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-19-2013, 10:03 AM   #16
Jeeper
 
BamaRolln's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Oak Mtn Area (Bham, AL)
Posts: 200
I'll just pile on here even though everything has already been said. The suspension was a big reason for me to go to the TJ over the YJ. Also the dash layout was much better, in my opinion, on the TJ. Some may not, but I like the 4WD shifter on the TJ much better than the YJ. The top,,, the TJ top is much better.

My dad had a 94 in great shape and I had a 97 in great shape. When I put the 97 up for sale (and bought an 05) my Dad put his 94 up for sale and bought my 97. Not that it makes any difference, but the 94, 97, and 05 were/are all toys, not daily drivers.
BamaRolln is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-20-2013, 08:43 AM   #17
Newb
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 11
location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi513 View Post
Where are you located? There are TJs all over TX, and they aren't rusted out.

New England
dawj is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-20-2013, 08:59 AM   #18
IITYWTMWYBMAB

WF Supporting Member
::WF Administrator::
 
4Jeepn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Florence, KY
Posts: 10,078
Images: 5
Having owned both:

TJ driver: Constant back of your mind thoughts of when will death wobble hit the Jeep.

YJ: driver: Constant back of your mind thought of wondering which dash gauge will go out today. Oh well who cares at least I don't have death wobble to worry about.
__________________
79.96.85.00.01.97.00.97.93.97.95.94
CJ.XJ.CJ. TJ. TJ.ZJ. TJ.TJ. ZJ.ZJ.YJ. XJ
4Jeepn is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-20-2013, 09:40 AM   #19
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
O_M_Jeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: South Central Wyoming
Posts: 1,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Jeepn View Post
Having owned both:

TJ driver: Constant back of your mind thoughts of when will death wobble hit the Jeep.

YJ: driver: Constant back of your mind thought of wondering which dash gauge will go out today. Oh well who cares at least I don't have death wobble to worry about.
too true always = too funny
__________________
There are a million ways to build a Jeep, pick one and do it - you bought a canvas, not a painting!

Click here to support Wranglerforum
Or else the teddy bear gets it
O_M_Jeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-20-2013, 09:50 AM   #20
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
jeepwayoflife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: California/Montana
Posts: 3,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Jeepn View Post
Having owned both:

TJ driver: Constant back of your mind thoughts of when will death wobble hit the Jeep.

YJ: driver: Constant back of your mind thought of wondering which dash gauge will go out today. Oh well who cares at least I don't have death wobble to worry about.
I don't understand the death wobble worry people have. I've never had a problem with my jeep or have ever personally known anyone to have death wobble. Use quality steering parts, keep them greased properly, and replace as necessary and you will never have a problem.
__________________
--------------------------------------------------------
jeepwayoflife is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-20-2013, 10:05 AM   #21
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
O_M_Jeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: South Central Wyoming
Posts: 1,112
It seems to be a huge topic over at JF, I always guessed it was a big problem I seemed to be lucky enough to not have, still funny though.
__________________
There are a million ways to build a Jeep, pick one and do it - you bought a canvas, not a painting!

Click here to support Wranglerforum
Or else the teddy bear gets it
O_M_Jeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-20-2013, 10:09 AM   #22
Newb
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: New York State
Posts: 1
19 year old YJ. Ordered in 1995 and never regretted it. What others call a
"lousy ride" I call "well connected to the road". Stiffer suspension corners flatter.
I don't mind square headlights (after all,the tail lights are...)
FI 2.5L I-4 has not let me down.
No A/C - Just taking off the door uppers gives me all the breeze I need - yet the inside is surprisingly dry in rain storms. My "aerodynamic car" is much wetter.
I've driven from NY to OH - no problems.
I occasionally drive 120 miles round trip to work and back.
It still puts a smile on my face.
It's not a car - and that's the point.
yjbobjr1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-21-2013, 03:30 PM   #23
IITYWTMWYBMAB

WF Supporting Member
::WF Administrator::
 
4Jeepn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Florence, KY
Posts: 10,078
Images: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepwayoflife View Post
I don't understand the death wobble worry people have. I've never had a problem with my jeep or have ever personally known anyone to have death wobble. Use quality steering parts, keep them greased properly, and replace as necessary and you will never have a problem.
As you have never had it, I would not expect you to understand. . I hope you never get it.. but if you do.. then you may understand. Because even if you have it fixed... the thought is always there that it could come back. Its just that power of an event.
__________________
79.96.85.00.01.97.00.97.93.97.95.94
CJ.XJ.CJ. TJ. TJ.ZJ. TJ.TJ. ZJ.ZJ.YJ. XJ
4Jeepn is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-21-2013, 03:40 PM   #24
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
jeepwayoflife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: California/Montana
Posts: 3,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Jeepn View Post

As you have never had it, I would not expect you to understand. . I hope you never get it.. but if you do.. then you may understand. Because even if you have it fixed... the thought is always there that it could come back. Its just that power of an event.
I see. Well my tire blew up going 70 in my jeep and I think about it now and again, but it was a freak accident and I'm pretty sure it won't happen again. I was just saying as long as you make sure all your steering parts are lubed properly and are not damaged/worn, you shouldn't have a problem.
__________________
--------------------------------------------------------
jeepwayoflife is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-21-2013, 04:00 PM   #25
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
O_M_Jeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: South Central Wyoming
Posts: 1,112
That's not always true, that's the bitch about DW, you can look at all the causes and find nothing loose or out of spec and still have DW, usually it's several factors working together. I've not had it (knock on DOM) but I have read a ton of threads trying to track it down.
__________________
There are a million ways to build a Jeep, pick one and do it - you bought a canvas, not a painting!

Click here to support Wranglerforum
Or else the teddy bear gets it
O_M_Jeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-21-2013, 04:03 PM   #26
Jeeper
 
Jeepfixer1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Chattanooga TN
Posts: 121
Ohh yeah a stock tj allows for larger tires than a stock YJ too. But then again who leaves them stock.
Jeepfixer1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-21-2013, 04:21 PM   #27
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
O_M_Jeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: South Central Wyoming
Posts: 1,112
Isn't a spring over equal to about 5" of lift? I thought it was easier to do a spring over than a 5" lift on a TJ. What all has to be done when you do a spring over on a YJ? I know about shackle reversals, but haven't yet done a spring over.
__________________
There are a million ways to build a Jeep, pick one and do it - you bought a canvas, not a painting!

Click here to support Wranglerforum
Or else the teddy bear gets it
O_M_Jeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-21-2013, 05:42 PM   #28
Jeeper
 
Ole4Cyli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Pensacola, Florida
Posts: 434
Images: 2
Just more simply putting, TJ's have more daily driver positives.
Ole4Cyli is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-22-2013, 02:48 AM   #29
Jeeper
 
MarkGLHS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Ellington, Connecticut
Posts: 1,173
the 2000 and up 4.0L engine is simply the best engine ever installed in a Jeep. The YJ's never got that engine. That was enough difference for me to go TJ.
__________________
2002 Wrangler Sahara, all stock, 5-speed, Dana 44, duel tan tops, 2nd owner.

2008 Hemi Grand Cherokee Limited 4X4, Quadradrive II, original owner, 22,000 miles.
MarkGLHS is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-23-2013, 04:57 AM   #30
Jeeper
 
Jeepfixer1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Chattanooga TN
Posts: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by O_M_Jeep View Post
Isn't a spring over equal to about 5" of lift? I thought it was easier to do a spring over than a 5" lift on a TJ. What all has to be done when you do a spring over on a YJ? I know about shackle reversals, but haven't yet done a spring over.
Spring overs open up a whole new can of worms and are generally frowned upon by most Jeepers. 1) it messes up steering linkage angles and the rod from your pitman arm to the right knuckle will run right into the spring when turning so you will need to purchase some sort of high steer knuckle to fix it. Also axle wrap becomes a lot more of an issue. Stability seems worse to me. I did a CJ about 15 yrs ago this way trying to save a buddy money and ended up costing more than just doing it with springs and longer shackles. I'm not saying it can't be done but do a lot of research first. Most do not go this route.

Jeepfixer1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:22 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC