You CAN clear 33s with a 2.5" lift! - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 05-22-2013, 08:38 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
DANGItsVictor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Posts: 114
You CAN clear 33s with a 2.5" lift!

PROOF that you CAN clear 33" tires with only 2.5" of lift. I did NOT extend the bumpstops and I am not rubbing ANYWHERE, even at full stuff I can still turn my wheels.

I DID however trim the stock fender flares (which really isnt a big difference).

Here is my TJ on two different rocks at full stuff.
I don't care that they are "Poser Pics", I wanted to show you that you can clear 33"s with a small lift.


Bigger rock







Smaller Rock



DANGItsVictor is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-22-2013, 08:41 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
Patrick H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Northern NM
Posts: 3,135
Quote:
I did NOT extend the bumpstops and I am not rubbing ANYWHERE,
Are your shocks bottomed out?

Patrick H is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-22-2013, 08:41 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
DANGItsVictor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Posts: 114
You can't really tell, but I can still run my fingers over the top of my tire.
DANGItsVictor is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-22-2013, 08:43 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
DANGItsVictor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Posts: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick H View Post
Are your shocks bottomed out?
Yeah pretty much, I know I DO have to extend those bumpstops but they are a pain in the A*$. Those are Bilstein 5100 shocks meant for a 4 inch lift. they are a bit long for the lift i have but they are doing fine.
DANGItsVictor is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-22-2013, 08:45 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
Patrick H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Northern NM
Posts: 3,135
Then you need to extend the bump stops. Spend an hour or two and pull the springs, push the axles to full bump, and see what you need.
Patrick H is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-22-2013, 08:48 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
DANGItsVictor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Posts: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick H View Post
Then you need to extend the bump stops. Spend an hour or two and pull the springs, push the axles to full bump, and see what you need.
They still have a little before they bottom out but I already bought the longer bumpstops and I do plan on putting them in soon BUT, as far as it goes right now, nothing is hitting and its doing fine.
DANGItsVictor is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-22-2013, 08:50 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
Patrick H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Northern NM
Posts: 3,135
So if the shocks aren't actually bottoming out/ compressing all the way, and you have stock bump stops, what is limiting your up travel?
Patrick H is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-22-2013, 08:51 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
Patrick H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Northern NM
Posts: 3,135
Quote:
I already bought the longer bumpstops
OK, so you've already pulled the springs and pushed the axles to full bump and measured for proper bump stop length.....
Patrick H is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-22-2013, 08:53 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
DANGItsVictor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Posts: 114
The fact that if I do go any higher I WILL need to put the bumpstops in. I stopped before the shocks fully bottomed out.
DANGItsVictor is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-22-2013, 08:55 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
DANGItsVictor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Posts: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick H View Post
OK, so you've already pulled the springs and pushed the axles to full bump and measured for proper bump stop length.....
No, not yet. I got some that you cut to length. I still have to measure and put them in.

What are you trying to get at?
DANGItsVictor is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-22-2013, 08:59 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
Patrick H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Northern NM
Posts: 3,135
Quote:
even at full stuff I can still turn my wheels.
Quote:
The fact that if I do go any higher I WILL need to put the bumpstops in. I stopped before the shocks fully bottomed out.
So when you say "full stuff", what do you mean? I'm just trying to figure out how you have successfully done what no other TJ owner has.
Patrick H is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-22-2013, 09:01 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
Patrick H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Northern NM
Posts: 3,135
I'm running 2"-3" suspension, 1.25" body lift, 32" tires, proper length shocks, and I had to extend my bump stops.
Patrick H is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-22-2013, 09:03 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
DANGItsVictor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Posts: 114
When I say "full stuff" I mean if I stuff my tire up any higher I will hit the fender. Thats full stuff to me.. No? I am running 33s fine is all I am saying here and its true.

Are you trolling me over bumpstop length?
DANGItsVictor is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-22-2013, 09:06 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
Patrick H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Northern NM
Posts: 3,135
I'm not "trolling" you. Like I said, I'm trying to figure out how you've successfully accomplished 33's on 2.5" lift without huge bump stops. Sorry.
Patrick H is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-22-2013, 09:10 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
DANGItsVictor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Posts: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick H View Post
I'm not "trolling" you. Like I said, I'm trying to figure out how you've successfully accomplished 33's on 2.5" lift. Sorry.
No worries, I must have read you wrong but it seemed rude.
I am still pretty new to all of this BUT IF I had say MetalCloak arched fenders and my tire could go up even further I THINK (i think) I would still hit the stock bumpstop before my shocks bottom out. I could be wrong about it, but its not wrong by alot. I promise that.
DANGItsVictor is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-22-2013, 09:11 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
DANGItsVictor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Posts: 114
So when I do put the longer bumpstops in they are only going to be just a bit longer.. and thats ONLY because these shocks are a bit too long for my lift.
DANGItsVictor is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-22-2013, 09:12 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
Patrick H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Northern NM
Posts: 3,135
If you're interested, there's good info here on how to measure for/ setup bumps stops/ shock lengths, etc.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/bu...points-734737/
Patrick H is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-22-2013, 09:14 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
DANGItsVictor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Posts: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick H View Post
If you're interested, there's good info here on how to measure for/ setup bumps stops/ shock lengths, etc.

bumpstops, shock length, and tires size. help me iron out the fuzzy points.. - JeepForum.com
Thanks, I will give it a good read. I just have to get under there and do it.
DANGItsVictor is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-22-2013, 11:06 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
UnlimitedLJ04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 7,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANGItsVictor View Post
You can't really tell, but I can still run my fingers over the top of my tire.
in other words, you haven't done the testing necessary. you drove on some rocks and didn't see anything rubbing at that specific point, so you assume everything is fine.....when in fact you don't actually know because you haven't done the testing.

not trying to be a jerk, just calling it like I see it based on what's been discussed so far.

I run 33s on ~2.5" lift + 1.25" BL and have done the necessary testing...so I'm speaking from personal experience.
UnlimitedLJ04 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-22-2013, 11:39 PM   #20
Jeeper
 
janosko9424's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnlimitedLJ04 View Post
in other words, you haven't done the testing necessary. you drove on some rocks and didn't see anything rubbing at that specific point, so you assume everything is fine.....when in fact you don't actually know because you haven't done the testing.

not trying to be a jerk, just calling it like I see it based on what's been discussed so far.

I run 33s on ~2.5" lift + 1.25" BL and have done the necessary testing...so I'm speaking from personal experience.
Just curious what 2.5 lift do you have?
janosko9424 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-23-2013, 08:26 AM   #21
Jeeper
 
UnlimitedLJ04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 7,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by janosko9424 View Post
Just curious what 2.5 lift do you have?
I built my own "kit".
Unlimited04's LJ Build - JeepForum.com
UnlimitedLJ04 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-23-2013, 10:14 AM   #22
Jeeper
 
s14sh3r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Clayton, OK
Posts: 2,049
Listen to the man with the goat avatar, he knows from whence he speaks. Take the criticism and learn from it, don't be offended by it.
s14sh3r is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-23-2013, 10:52 AM   #23
Jeeper
 
janosko9424's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnlimitedLJ04 View Post
Did you use rokmen CAs all the way around? Uppers and lowers?
janosko9424 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-23-2013, 12:19 PM   #24
Jeeper
 
jeepinmike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: East Amherst NY
Posts: 224
Your right, some people exagerate rubbing with 33's and 2.5" lift, but the point is, you WILL rub with that setup.....you just have not pushed it far enough. You can't just drive up a rock till your close to rubbing and say your at full stuff and don't rub. Full stuff indicates that your suspension is at it's max uptravel, which with factory bumpstops, you are not at and you would rub those tires if you were.

You need the proper bumpstops to keep those tires out of the fender, period.

Otherwise, it looks like you are happy with it, and really that's all that matters.
__________________
fuel in my veins, mountains on the brain......
06 Unlimited - 2.5 ish lift, 31" KM2, working on it.
BUFFALO NY JEEPERS
jeepinmike is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-23-2013, 12:29 PM   #25
Jeeper
 
IslandTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: where I wheel: N 45║ 36.663' W 123║ 20.935'
Posts: 2,695
Quote:
Originally Posted by s14sh3r View Post
Listen to the man with the goat avatar, he knows from whence he speaks.
LOL .

It is true though.
__________________
1998 TJ Moss Green Sahara w/ numerous scratches & dents whose playground is on a tropical island that's 33 miles long and 4-12 miles wide, in year-round 82 degree weather

Edit: "Now jeepin in Oregon"
IslandTJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-23-2013, 01:11 PM   #26
Jeeper
 
UnlimitedLJ04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 7,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANGItsVictor View Post
So when I do put the longer bumpstops in they are only going to be just a bit longer.. and thats ONLY because these shocks are a bit too long for my lift.
so, in other words, you didn't extend the bumpstops, but you're using the shocks are bumpstops instead. you are limiting the uptravel with your shocks...figure out how much bumpstop extension you need to keep the shocks from acting as your uptravel limitation, then you can state "Proof you can run 33s on 2.5" of lift, with X.X" bumpstop extension."
UnlimitedLJ04 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-23-2013, 01:18 PM   #27
Jeeper
 
bobthetj03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Lake County, NorCal.
Posts: 1,782
Full bump is coils removed, jounce bumpers removed and both sides bottomed out. This is 2.5 lift on 32's with 3/4" bumpstop extensions.
__________________
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f118/pr...er-836497.html

"The little Jeep that could!"

www.norcal-jeeps.com
bobthetj03 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-23-2013, 02:22 PM   #28
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 216
Can someone post a link here as to best way to remove my front & rear springs? Want to read up so i can plan when im going to cycle the suspension etc & install my proper new bumpstops. Dont need anymore bumpstop info but just how to PROPERLY removed the springs.
Huelsmma is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-23-2013, 03:21 PM   #29
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huelsmma View Post
Can someone post a link here as to best way to remove my front & rear springs? Want to read up so i can plan when im going to cycle the suspension etc & install my proper new bumpstops. Dont need anymore bumpstop info but just how to PROPERLY removed the springs.
Nevermind
Huelsmma is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-23-2013, 03:28 PM   #30
Creepy Crawler

WF Supporting Member
 
BLK00TJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 3,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthetj03 View Post
Full bump is coils removed, jounce bumpers removed and both sides bottomed out. This is 2.5 lift on 32's with 3/4" bumpstop extensions.
Full bump IMO should also include one wheel up and the other at full droop as would happen offroad. I say this because when this happens, the tire that is up can go up higher than when both wheels are raised. This would need to be done on both sides to check clearances because of the way the trackbar works.

__________________
Wheel. Break/Test. Repair/Upgrade. Repeat
BLK00TJ's YouTube Channel -- BLK00TJ's Build
BLK00TJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:05 PM.



Jeep«, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC