Your thoughts on Metalcloak Duroflex joints? - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 06-01-2013, 10:34 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
DANGItsVictor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Posts: 103
Your thoughts on Metalcloak Duroflex joints?

Hey again everyone, so I am looking at building (assembling) some control arms for my TJ. I am very interested in Metalcloaks Duroflex joints but I haven't heard much review about them.

Does anyone run these? What are your thoughts?

My plan was to take MC Duroflex joints and use the Savvy aluminum CA arms to make a nice set.

DANGItsVictor is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-01-2013, 10:52 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
Patrick H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Northern NM
Posts: 3,135

Patrick H is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-01-2013, 11:01 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
Moabrubi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Posts: 1,576
I personally don't like them for many reasons. I predict durability issues later down the road similar to the stock bushings. Hell, Metalcloak didn't even run their joint in their car at KOH this year.

As far as the review above, I wouldn't take it too seriously durability wise. One wheeling trip isn't enough to determine long term durability. There's a good thread on JK Owners about this, after I read it I stuck with my JJ's.
Moabrubi is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-01-2013, 11:03 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
Patrick H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Northern NM
Posts: 3,135
Quote:
As far as the review above, I wouldn't take it too seriously.
Just thought I'd throw it out there...
Patrick H is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-01-2013, 11:09 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
Moabrubi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Posts: 1,576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick H View Post
Just thought I'd throw it out there...
I forgot to add the last part .
Moabrubi is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-01-2013, 11:10 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
DANGItsVictor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Posts: 103
That is a great write up and review. It makes me want them even more, BUT it also doesn't talk about durability either (i know its because they are still pretty new). I am really wondering about the durability of these things BUT I do think I will give them a try.

Not like it can't be undone if I don't like them down the road. Thanks guys
DANGItsVictor is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-01-2013, 11:10 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
freeskier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Longmont, CO
Posts: 2,535
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moabrubi View Post
I personally don't like them for many reasons. I predict durability issues later down the road similar to the stock bushings. Hell, Metalcloak didn't even run their joint in their car at KOH this year.

As far as the review above, I wouldn't take it too seriously durability wise. One wheeling trip isn't enough to determine long term durability. There's a good thread on JK Owners about this, after I read it I stuck with my JJ's.
What durability issues do the stock bushings have? I'm at 130k miles on stock arms, they are a bit past their prime but I'm waiting on my Metalcloak arms to ship, hopefully sometime this next week.
__________________
CU Boulder Aerospace Engineering
freeskier is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-01-2013, 11:12 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
DANGItsVictor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Posts: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeskier View Post
What durability issues do the stock bushings have? I'm at 130k miles on stock arms, they are a bit past their prime but I'm waiting on my Metalcloak arms to ship, hopefully sometime this next week.
Please let me know how you like them!
DANGItsVictor is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-01-2013, 11:20 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
freeskier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Longmont, CO
Posts: 2,535
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANGItsVictor View Post
Please let me know how you like them!
I'll get a thread going here and on JF. I'm for trying new things and I love the concept of these joints. I predict these joints will last a long time.
__________________
CU Boulder Aerospace Engineering
freeskier is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-01-2013, 11:33 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
DANGItsVictor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Posts: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeskier View Post
I'll get a thread going here and on JF. I'm for trying new things and I love the concept of these joints. I predict these joints will last a long time.
I'm with you on that one my friend. Look forward to reading it.
DANGItsVictor is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-11-2013, 10:12 AM   #11
Supporting Vendor
 
matsonian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moabrubi View Post
Metalcloak didn't even run their joint in their car at KOH this year.
Thank you to the OP for posting this thread and asking the question. We appreciate all feedback and I will let the community continue to answer your question.

However, I do need to comment on this statement just so there is no confusion.

Metalcloak did not have a car at KOH. I personally own the car and it is not sponsored at all by Metalcloak.

When a car is fully built around heim joints, like 4576 was when I bought it, it's not a smart idea to just throw another joint in, otherwise I would have happily run them.

When and if Metalcloak decides to get into racing and build a car for the EMC at KOH, you can bet it will be running our full suspension offerings.

Oh... and by the way, the car WAS running a single Duroflex Joint... as an engine mount.

Thanks again for all the great feedback!
__________________
It's Your Jeep, Only Better. | MetalCloak.com | 6PakRevolution.com
MetalCloak Rock-Biting Body Armor & Long Travel Suspension Systems.

Check out videos about our products: YouTube.com/metalcloak
Join us on Facebook: Facebook.com/metalcloak

matsonian is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-11-2013, 10:19 AM   #12
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by matsonian View Post

Thank you to the OP for posting this thread and asking the question. We appreciate all feedback and I will let the community continue to answer your question.

However, I do need to comment on this statement just so there is no confusion.

Metalcloak did not have a car at KOH. I personally own the car and it is not sponsored at all by Metalcloak.

When a car is fully built around heim joints, like 4576 was when I bought it, it's not a smart idea to just throw another joint in, otherwise I would have happily run them.

When and if Metalcloak decides to get into racing and build a car for the EMC at KOH, you can bet it will be running our full suspension offerings.

Oh... and by the way, the car WAS running a single Duroflex Joint... as an engine mount.

Thanks again for all the great feedback!
Speaking of heim joints, how reliable are they on your track bar. Can the be greased? Thank you!
Arch Stanton is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-11-2013, 11:20 AM   #13
Jeeper
 
whiteyjfm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: La Quinta CA
Posts: 582
Not sure if I can post this link, but here you go.

??? For the metal cloak arms owners - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
whiteyjfm is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-11-2013, 11:37 AM   #14
Supporting Vendor
 
matsonian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Stanton View Post
Speaking of heim joints, how reliable are they on your track bar. Can the be greased? Thank you!
As a general rule, heim joints are not greased. They are built with materials that do not require greasing like Teflon or Bronze.

As for reliability... we would not use them on our products unless we were confident in their performance.
__________________
It's Your Jeep, Only Better. | MetalCloak.com | 6PakRevolution.com
MetalCloak Rock-Biting Body Armor & Long Travel Suspension Systems.

Check out videos about our products: YouTube.com/metalcloak
Join us on Facebook: Facebook.com/metalcloak

matsonian is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-11-2013, 12:06 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by matsonian View Post

As a general rule, heim joints are not greased. They are built with materials that do not require greasing like Teflon or Bronze.

As for reliability... we would not use them on our products unless we were confident in their performance.
Thanks the explanation. Are there any advantages of a heim joint? Does it require periodic re-tightening? Thank you!
Arch Stanton is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-11-2013, 05:43 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
IcarusLSC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 643
How are these joints for a mainly daily driver, bit of a weekend toy up here in the salt/snow too?
__________________
Ϣr
IcarusLSC is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-11-2013, 05:58 PM   #17
MallCrawler

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 35,322
Check out the vender threads on here. MC is listed.
__________________
2007 Rubicon/Rock Krawler triple rate 2.5" coils/RK rear TB w/ a teraflex raised bracket/Rancho 9000 31/32XL shocks/Synergy flipped draglink,ball joints,tie rod /Hankook MT 315-75-16 on Level 8 ZX's/Rancho geo brackets/Ruff stuff uppers/Fox ATS stabilizer/Adams front DS/Artec front armor w/ Currie upper bushings/Rancho cat back exhaust.

Lifting your JK? Read this!!



Click HERE to become a WranglerForum Supporting Member!
kjeeper10 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-11-2013, 06:28 PM   #18
Supporting Vendor
 
matsonian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcarusLSC View Post
How are these joints for a mainly daily driver, bit of a weekend toy up here in the salt/snow too?
Daily Driver is where they excel. They were developed with the idea that the ride quality of your daily driver doesn't need to suffer in order for you to conquer the trails on the weekend.
__________________
It's Your Jeep, Only Better. | MetalCloak.com | 6PakRevolution.com
MetalCloak Rock-Biting Body Armor & Long Travel Suspension Systems.

Check out videos about our products: YouTube.com/metalcloak
Join us on Facebook: Facebook.com/metalcloak

matsonian is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-11-2013, 06:40 PM   #19
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
T2000J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: PA
Posts: 891
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcarusLSC View Post
How are these joints for a mainly daily driver, bit of a weekend toy up here in the salt/snow too?
Been running their CA's for a couple months now I have no complaints . She is my DD
__________________


JEEP WRANGLER
T2000J is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-11-2013, 06:44 PM   #20
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 923
I've been running them since last September . The have been a great addition to my TJ . I have the double adjustable aluminum Savvy arms that at one time had Johnny Joints but I did not care for the ride with all JJs so I experimented with a couple sets of DF joints and soon after replace all my JJs. I have since sold my upper JJs and the guts to all the lowers are in a bag on a shelf where I keep spare parts . I have nothing negative to say about the Mc joints and I have a smooth ride again
__________________
05 TJ Rubicon 4.88s ,2" BDS, Bilstein 5100, Currie Currectlync , Savvy arms/Metalcloak Duroflex joints, JKS BL, 33"Cooper STT's, Mc front Track Bar
Gary2 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-11-2013, 07:00 PM   #21
Jeeper
 
IcarusLSC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 643
Thanks matsonian, and in the salt etc how are they lasting?
__________________
Ϣr
IcarusLSC is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-12-2013, 06:48 PM   #22
Sponsoring Vendor
 
Cloaked Willys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Citrus Heights, Ca
Posts: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcarusLSC View Post
Thanks matsonian, and in the salt etc how are they lasting?

We have several customer up in Canada where they use a liquid salt on the rode and have had no reported issues. This is coming from guys that can kill any joint purely because of pitting. We are looking for the long term feedback.
__________________
Will
(916)631-8071
www.metalcloak.com
facebook.com/metalcloak
will@metalcloak.com
When you have a choice, buy American.
Cloaked Willys is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-12-2013, 07:06 PM   #23
Jeeper
 
IcarusLSC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 643
Yes, the salt and cold can trash bushings etc fast up here! The cold can make 'em hard and seperate/unbond then the salt gets in and really buggers stuff up
Good to hear no issues so far. I'm saving for a set and some other items
__________________
Ϣr
IcarusLSC is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-13-2013, 09:58 AM   #24
NJO
Jeeper
 
NJO's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,388
I won't run anything but MC DF joints. I've had mine in for about 6 months now. Fantastic ride quality on road, and off road flex is effortless. Quite a few people in my club have switched out their JJ's for them or are going to in the very near future. Best all around joints on the market. Durability is a non issue too IMO, they have been out for a few years now, I really haven't seen any complaints, nothing but positive reviews. Super easy to field service too...no special tools needed....a single joint can be swapped out in 5 minutes flat.
NJO is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-13-2013, 10:05 AM   #25
Jeeper
 
freeskier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Longmont, CO
Posts: 2,535
There are a number of JK owners with over 30k miles on these joints and no issues.

__________________
CU Boulder Aerospace Engineering
freeskier is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:06 PM.



Jeep, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC