8.8 Complete Install Kit - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > YJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > YJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 08-07-2014, 09:04 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
charleybrwn13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: McKenzie, TN
Posts: 503
8.8 Complete Install Kit


charleybrwn13 is offline   Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 09:10 PM   #2
IITYWTMWYBMAB

WF Supporting Member
::WF Administrator::
 
4Jeepn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Florence, KY
Posts: 10,477
Images: 5
I think that kit uses the mounting parts from rough stuff(which are very nice)
I would add up the parts and see if its a good value vs getting parts on their own..

__________________
79.96.85.00.01.97.00.97.93.97.95.94
CJ.XJ.CJ. TJ. TJ.ZJ. TJ.TJ. ZJ.ZJ.YJ. XJ
4Jeepn is offline   Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 10:15 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
reno92's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Cardiff By The Sea / Glamis
Posts: 1,356
Looks like a good price, I just ran some numbers at ECGS and assuming these are of comparable grade they were about $75 more.
reno92 is offline   Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 11:54 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
CubbyXL7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 312
Used this kit about a year ago to install my 8.8. Was a great deal and good components. Have been recommending it to anyone doing an 8.8 swap ever since.

89' YJ with a 4.2L.
CubbyXL7 is offline   Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 02:54 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
Nickabis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Pdx, Ore.
Posts: 334
I used their kit with my install. Like said above, good price with good parts. It was everything needed to do the swap in an evening for me. I chose the kit because I got everything at once. Also, Eric with kNOw Where 2Jeep is very informative with all the questions I had. I highly recommend this.
Nickabis is offline   Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 05:24 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
littlelionman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickabis View Post
I used their kit with my install. Like said above, good price with good parts. It was everything needed to do the swap in an evening for me. I chose the kit because I got everything at once. Also, Eric with kNOw Where 2Jeep is very informative with all the questions I had. I highly recommend this.
You did your swap in an evening? I've heard of it taking a month for some people. I have little mechanical experience, how long do you think it will take me?
littlelionman is offline   Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 08:14 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
Nickabis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Pdx, Ore.
Posts: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelionman View Post
You did your swap in an evening? I've heard of it taking a month for some people. I have little mechanical experience, how long do you think it will take me?
The remove and replace took from the afternoon to about midnight. In a time crunch to take it out the next day. It was me and friend which had the welder and a plasma cutter, makes quick work of removing perches and spring mounts. I spent a few hours a night to clean up the axle abd get it prepped before hand. Mine was fairly straight forward, I left it sprung under so no driveline issues.

For yours, that kit will have everything needed so no need sourcing parts locally, except shocks if you're changing them, I installed m.o.r.e. rear shock relocates at the same time. Make sure to get your pinion angle and the distance of the spring mounts before removing your stock axle, mount the 8.8 with the u-bolts holding the spring mounts tight, set the pinion angle, tack the mounts. The 8.8 doesn't sit center, it's ok like this.
Nickabis is offline   Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 10:00 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
charleybrwn13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: McKenzie, TN
Posts: 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickabis View Post
The remove and replace took from the afternoon to about midnight. In a time crunch to take it out the next day. It was me and friend which had the welder and a plasma cutter, makes quick work of removing perches and spring mounts. I spent a few hours a night to clean up the axle abd get it prepped before hand. Mine was fairly straight forward, I left it sprung under so no driveline issues.

For yours, that kit will have everything needed so no need sourcing parts locally, except shocks if you're changing them, I installed m.o.r.e. rear shock relocates at the same time. Make sure to get your pinion angle and the distance of the spring mounts before removing your stock axle, mount the 8.8 with the u-bolts holding the spring mounts tight, set the pinion angle, tack the mounts. The 8.8 doesn't sit center, it's ok like this.

This brings up my next question... I have my tub off and the only weight on the springs are the frame, engine and tranny. So without that weight the pinion angle appears to be quite a bit. I know when there is weight applied it will change, but can I measure the pinion angle without the full weight and then use that angle for the 8.8?
charleybrwn13 is offline   Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 10:25 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
Nickabis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Pdx, Ore.
Posts: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by charleybrwn13 View Post

This brings up my next question... I have my tub off and the only weight on the springs are the frame, engine and tranny. So without that weight the pinion angle appears to be quite a bit. I know when there is weight applied it will change, but can I measure the pinion angle without the full weight and then use that angle for the 8.8?
Correct me if I'm wrong with this post but i'd take the driveshaft off and use a magnetic angle finder at the yoke of the axle and use that to set the 8.8, if you haven't. The weight of the tub should flatten your springs down and lower the transfercase angle. If you set it up just as the old axle sits, it should work. Hopefully, someone else can chime in and agree or disagree, I had the full weight of my jeep with the install.
Nickabis is offline   Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 12:27 AM   #10
Jeeper
 
charleybrwn13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: McKenzie, TN
Posts: 503
Yeah, I was thinking as long as the measurements were taken in the same conditions or same weight on the springs, the outcome should be the same with both axles.
charleybrwn13 is offline   Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 12:42 AM   #11
Jeeper
 
reno92's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Cardiff By The Sea / Glamis
Posts: 1,356
If you go to the ECGS site and look under the question "lift height" for ordering an 8.8 axle, they tell you what angle they weld the perches on at. It won't be as exact as doing it yourself with the full wieght of the jeep on but it seems they have good luck using those degree angles for welding.
reno92 is offline   Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 10:10 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
charleybrwn13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: McKenzie, TN
Posts: 503
Thanks, Reno92
charleybrwn13 is offline   Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 12:17 AM   #13
Jeeper
 
Milo22-243's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 98
See I want to do this bit along the pinion agle problem... When I did my SOA I didn't compress the suspension but I just maid 2 3/8 wedges out of steel on a manual mill so worse case you ether make wedges or re try on welding perches on. Peice of advice on welding axles. (80 yr old machinist that works on axles every day told me this) weld in 1/2 inch long welds and let fully cool before continuing weld. If you don't and just weld all the perch on it will severely hear up one side of the axle tube and slightly tweet it when it cools. Hardly noticeable but will reek havoc on the full strength of the axle inside and bearings. To correct this you jack it back up and apply same amount of heat on bottom of axle with torch and it will correct it. Mine was a full 1/8 inch off from diff to the brake backing plate. Witch would over time add a lot of stress to the axle inside. Just my ˘2

Milo22-243 is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:35 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC