Air Tools - Advice? - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > YJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > YJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 03-03-2010, 11:33 AM   #1
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
copleydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Woburn MA
Posts: 368
Air Tools - Advice?

Bought a new compressor - Kobalt 30 gallon - because I've been wanting on for painting and running some tools.

Read some pretty good reviews about the compressor, and the price was right for a brand new unit (reg $439 - for me $125 - pays to know people).

I don't want to break the bank, and I am a back yard mechanic. Looking for some suggestions.

Kobalt?
Craftsman?
Ebay stuff?
Suggestions?

Way overspent my Jeep Allowance this week, so have a week or so before I crack the lid on the next "Jeep Stimulus Funding".

What do you guys like? What would be a good way to get this party started?
Attached Images
 

__________________
GRACIE

1989 Wrangler "Islander" 4.2 6cyl 5 speed

copleydad is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-03-2010, 11:36 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
apo8307's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Ocala, Fla.
Posts: 159
Send a message via Skype™ to apo8307
It doesn't matter what the neme if you your not going to use it all the time if you are than you might want to get somthing that has a name that's been around for awhile

apo8307 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-03-2010, 11:36 AM   #3
Ugly Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
PecosRiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: San Jose, New Mexico
Posts: 1,542
I’m not brand loyal when it comes to tools. I buy the best that I can afford and always get a known brand, just not that worried that all my tools match.
PecosRiver is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-03-2010, 11:38 AM   #4
Jeeper
 
apo8307's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Ocala, Fla.
Posts: 159
Send a message via Skype™ to apo8307
Yep as long as the job done, thats what my wife sayes
apo8307 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-03-2010, 11:45 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
whiteyj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Pleasanton CA
Posts: 4,856
You know for a weekend warrior I don't know that I'd be hung up on brand names.... I have a garage full of Craftsman tools that work great for me but if I was making a living with them I'd probably be running Snap-On's.

Heck I have a Coleman brand compressor that I bought on a sale at KMart something like 8-10 years ago and has been turning my air tools and driving nails without missing a beat.
__________________
Fallen Angel...Former MOD
whiteyj is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-03-2010, 05:46 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
jpdocdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: beach park, il
Posts: 8,162
Images: 7
stay away from the junk, don't waste your time and money examples: campbell hausfield, and hf junk. they're not worth the frustration. as far as a 1/2" impact, i'd say save a little money and buy a decent one. you don't have to spend 350 bux on the really nice ones, but get a nice composite IR (ingersoll rand) and be done. it will moste likely be the only impact you ever buy for the rest of your life. and when its getting the job done everytime for you, you'll be happy. you get what you pay for, don't even bother with an el cheapo.

although, air tools eat air, and you don't have a large compressor. you may have to wait on that one to catch up, i'm not sure, just a thought.
__________________
"The danger to America is not Barack Obama but a citizenry capable of entrusting a man like him with the Presidency. It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of an Obama presidency than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their president."
http://mybroadband.co.za/photos/data...re_cowbell.gif
jpdocdave is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-03-2010, 06:28 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
shinysideup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdocdave View Post
stay away from the junk, don't waste your time and money examples: campbell hausfield, and hf junk. they're not worth the frustration. as far as a 1/2" impact, i'd say save a little money and buy a decent one. you don't have to spend 350 bux on the really nice ones, but get a nice composite IR (ingersoll rand) and be done. it will moste likely be the only impact you ever buy for the rest of your life. and when its getting the job done everytime for you, you'll be happy. you get what you pay for, don't even bother with an el cheapo.

although, air tools eat air, and you don't have a large compressor. you may have to wait on that one to catch up, i'm not sure, just a thought.
I agree: high end on the impact cuz there's nothing you'll use more.

Also, he's right about the compressor being a little small. It'll work fine for impact wrenches, air wratchets, any kind of nailer and other low volume applications, but you'll have trouble running orbital sanders/buffers, cut-off wheels, die grinders, air drills, and, sorry to say, paint guns. You really need a two stage compressor to shoot with. The tanks plenty big; it's the pump that's the problem.
__________________
Life's too short; so's my Jeep.

'95 Jeep YJ 4.0L Auto
'06 Harley FLHRCI
'07 Honda CRV
shinysideup is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-03-2010, 09:14 PM   #8
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
copleydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Woburn MA
Posts: 368
Thanks for the tips. I've seen a couple Snap On and IR impacts on CL and Ebay for around $100, so guess I'll snag something like that.

As far as the paint, there's a forum @ Welcome To Autobodystore.com. Did some research with those guys about paint guns and this compressor, and they have recommended a couple low pressure guns for shooting paint. The majority of feedback from them seems like this will work. If it doesn't, I'll be sure and let you know. Hell, I'll even tell ya if it does!!!

They seem to have a lot of knowledge for body repair, paint etc., and worth a look if any of you need tips. A lot like this forum - a whole lot of knowledge for those of us that need it.

Lowes has a Kobalt kit for $99, I know I can get a "damaged" one for around 75. It has a bunch of sockets, wrenches, bits etc. I think I'll go and pick that one up and keep looking for a decent impact, that makes sense to me. I guess that will be the tool getting the most use.

I'll let ya know how the Kobalt thing works. Gotta get hose and couplings as well.

Wondering what to pull apart first???
__________________
GRACIE

1989 Wrangler "Islander" 4.2 6cyl 5 speed

copleydad is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-03-2010, 10:49 PM   #9
Newb
 
bb94yj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: ny
Posts: 6
Images: 1
i got a 30 gal craftsman for $125 with a craftsman impact gun on craigslist 3 years ago and have had no problems and have done nothing but oil my tools and drain the water from tank so keep your eyes out for good second hand deals also
bb94yj is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-03-2010, 10:59 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
kilgoretrout844's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 233
I run all snapon tools at work, except my impact...i bought a chicago pnumatic on sale for 100 bucks and farm and fleet, and sold my 350 dollar snap on back to the dealer. chicago pnumatic is a great bang for the buck, and that impact could do twice what my snap on could.
kilgoretrout844 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-04-2010, 01:58 AM   #11
Jeeper
 
Eddie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Saint Charles Il.
Posts: 136
For all my tools I normally buy craftsman, for the little tools like 1/4 swivel socket wrench or other ones I was breaking a lot I went with snap on, but not too many, their cut off tool is the best I've used. I've been through a lot of impacts and to do it over again I would just go with the middle of the road one I have. Anything that's really stuck I end up using a breaker bar (a 1 1/4" piece of pipe slipped over the end of a socket wrench) to break em lose then use the impact.
Eddie is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-04-2010, 05:58 AM   #12
Jeeper
 
crtaylor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Beaver Falls,PA
Posts: 1,055
IR makes great impacts.as far as paint guns for the money I like the devilbess proline guns .although never tried any the kobalt ,they would also do the job .just keep it clean that goes for any gun.I use SATA guns but I paint offten And Mostly Home built Aircraft. and I mostly shoot single stage acrylic ureathane.
crtaylor is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-04-2010, 06:39 AM   #13
Jeeper
 
Eddie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Saint Charles Il.
Posts: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by crtaylor View Post
IR makes great impacts.as far as paint guns for the money I like the devilbess proline guns .although never tried any the kobalt ,they would also do the job .just keep it clean that goes for any gun.I use SATA guns but I paint offten And Mostly Home built Aircraft. and I mostly shoot single stage acrylic ureathane.
+1 on the Sata gun, I forgot to mention the paint guns hahahha.
If you're planning to paint a fair amount they are SO worth the extra money. I paint quite a few motorcycles and I use the minijet 90% of the time. Nice little gun, comes apart and cleans easy etc. Sprays almost like my bigger guns, only drawback being having to fill the cup more often.

I like the single stage a lot to, and use that most often as well but I'll coat it with single coat clear. So it's kind of like a 2 stage process, or it is I guess, but single stage paint seems to be much more forgiving and easier to fix if you do something stupid like hit the wet paint with the air line. (Done that more times than I care to admit)
Eddie is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-04-2010, 08:12 AM   #14
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
copleydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Woburn MA
Posts: 368
Yeah, looked at the Proline paint guns and think it would be worth the investment. Once upon a time, I wouldn't hesitate spending money on the best tools, and they have done me well and lasted me a long time.

I'm a carpenter, I do wood. I have the full gamut of high end woodworking tools, and a couple old Emglo nail gun compressors that can't be killed. I too have a Coleman generator that has been around for 20 years and still starts on the first pull.

Being a back yard wrench turner is a whole new game for me. Yes, I've done a lot of work to vehicles over the years, but mostly R&R stuff - water pumps, tune ups, and even the occasional Jeep related issues (this being my 6th Jeep, 2nd YJ), but never delved into the darkness of the drivetrain or the insides of the internal combustion engine. I just wanted a new toy, I guess, and i want the Jeep painted NICELY for under $2000.

I can build a piano out of a freshly fallen maple tree cause I have the tools and experience and talent. I couldn't even figure out that the leaky gas thing was actually the fuel pump a few weeks ago, but you guys helped me out. So I guess what I'm saying is, I want the tools to do the job, but I'm not going to be building Formula One engines any time soon.

But if you ever need tips on building a mahogany spiral stairway from scratch, I'm your man.
__________________
GRACIE

1989 Wrangler "Islander" 4.2 6cyl 5 speed

copleydad is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-04-2010, 01:30 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
crtaylor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Beaver Falls,PA
Posts: 1,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by copleydad View Post
Yeah, looked at the Proline paint guns and think it would be worth the investment. Once upon a time, I wouldn't hesitate spending money on the best tools, and they have done me well and lasted me a long time.

I'm a carpenter, I do wood. I have the full gamut of high end woodworking tools, and a couple old Emglo nail gun compressors that can't be killed. I too have a Coleman generator that has been around for 20 years and still starts on the first pull.

Being a back yard wrench turner is a whole new game for me. Yes, I've done a lot of work to vehicles over the years, but mostly R&R stuff - water pumps, tune ups, and even the occasional Jeep related issues (this being my 6th Jeep, 2nd YJ), but never delved into the darkness of the drivetrain or the insides of the internal combustion engine. I just wanted a new toy, I guess, and i want the Jeep painted NICELY for under $2000.

I can build a piano out of a freshly fallen maple tree cause I have the tools and experience and talent. I couldn't even figure out that the leaky gas thing was actually the fuel pump a few weeks ago, but you guys helped me out. So I guess what I'm saying is, I want the tools to do the job, but I'm not going to be building Formula One engines any time soon.

But if you ever need tips on building a mahogany spiral stairway from scratch, I'm your man.
my buddy builds Guitars and convinced him to go sata ,He also builds the airplanes ,I still dont Know where he finds the time .I still cannot sell him on a jeep. Ill keep trying .Hes a triumph guy
crtaylor is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-04-2010, 01:49 PM   #16
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
copleydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Woburn MA
Posts: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by crtaylor View Post
my buddy builds Guitars and convinced him to go sata ,He also builds the airplanes ,I still dont Know where he finds the time .I still cannot sell him on a jeep. Ill keep trying .Hes a triumph guy
Had a Triumph Spitfire back in my college days. That was a fun car. Then I found out about driving to the water's edge in Hatteras for surf fishing in a Jeep and haven't looked back since.

Apparently you can't order, or even get pricing, on the internet for SATA guns, but now you have my curiosity up Taylor! Gonna take your word on this and make some calls.

Watching some impacts on Ebay over the next few days. Thinking it might be better to get a really good used one instead of a so-so new one. Money's too tight right now. DAMN YOU BERNIE MADOFF!!!!

__________________
GRACIE

1989 Wrangler "Islander" 4.2 6cyl 5 speed

copleydad is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tools... Bignuke TJ General Discussion Forum 29 03-18-2011 02:22 PM
thanks and words of encouragement/ Rear axle advice porkchop71 YJ General Discussion Forum 5 08-15-2009 03:04 PM
new jeep owner.need good advice re: lift whoknows361 TJ General Discussion Forum 6 02-26-2009 08:17 PM
lift installation tools? upinar TJ General Discussion Forum 14 01-09-2007 03:21 PM
need advice . how far would you drive your jeep. sgettin General Jeep Discussion 20 02-23-2006 09:20 AM



» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:31 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC