Jeep wave originated? - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > YJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > YJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 05-16-2013, 10:52 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
AllMudd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,465
Jeep wave originated?

Here is an interesting few takes on the Jeep wave.

New Jeep owners soon discover a tradition that has been around perhaps as long as Jeeps, the Jeep wave. Some may think its strange or even silly, but before you judge perhaps take a moment and consider this.

During WWII the Jeep was always on the move, often running back and forth from the front lines delivering vital supplies or urgent messages, or carry wounded soldiers, attempt rescues or bring reinforcements. Some say this is where the Jeep wave began as a way to know friend from foe or acknowledge an officer without a salute that might alert enemies of a high ranking official. Or perhaps it was just a simple gesture from soldier in one Jeep to another Jeep as they passed. A sign of camaraderie and respect between courageous souls in dark and dangerous times.

Others say the Jeep wave began after the war when the soldiers returned home. During the war the Jeep had earned a place in the hearts of many soldiers and as a result, many of those who made it home, wanted to own their own Jeep. Often the drivers of Jeeps passing on roadways would wave at each other, as they knew most likely each other had served.

Finally some claim the wave began only when civilians started buying Jeeps and taking them off road. They shared fun and excitement of tackling seemingly impossible trails and obstacles in the nimble Jeep, naturally builds a kinship with other Jeepers. The wave acknowledges that shared understanding and appreciation of the Jeeps amazing capabilities and the enjoyment ownership can bring. So next time you see a Jeep, give a wave and if you don't get one in return, don't be offended. Just consider it a wave for the 'One and Only Jeep' and what it represents, our freedom and he brave souls who fought for it!

Being a Military Service Member myself, I think the wave started in WWII where many brave souls gave us our freedom we cherish to this day. For without what so many did for this country, we as fellow Jeepers would not be able to enjoy the freedoms of off road parks, trails, and just the simple freedom of driving down the road in the summer, top down and cruising.

(O|||||O) <-----The original Jeep but I still love my YJ!

AllMudd is offline   Quick Reply
Old 05-17-2013, 08:59 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: north of St.Franisville La.
Posts: 2,106
Send a message via Yahoo to Nubby55
Well I think it's a type of Brotherhood, I'm Southern and We wave if we know Ya, I'm a Nam Vet and those who know Me wave, Ive Rode Bikes since 1967 and H.D.s since 1977 and those who know wave, and I Drive a Jeep and those who know Wave, If I see You and We have some type of Brotherhood, I'll WAVE!

Nubby55 is offline   Quick Reply
Old 05-17-2013, 09:04 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
c5wagner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Reno, Nevada
Posts: 1,366
When I drive my cherokee no other jeepers wave, but when I drive my raised YJ, other people in raised jeeps wave back. I have also found that many women who drive jeeps don't wave either. If there is a guy driving a raised jeep and if I wave, I can always count on the wave back.
c5wagner is offline   Quick Reply
Old 05-17-2013, 09:08 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
Willybusmc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 194
In Stockbridge ga, I see a few jeeps a day and gettin a wave back is rare. Stock jeeps of any year almost never wave. But today, my jeeps in the shop and I got stuck driving mini van, and I passed like 10 jeeps. My luck
Willybusmc is offline   Quick Reply
Old 05-17-2013, 09:08 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
Cole Noah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: McCalla, Alabama
Posts: 257
I've waved at several Cherokees. No wave back. So I gave up on them. Same thing with four doors, wave and no way back. Now I only way at 4 doors if I get a wave first
Cole Noah is offline   Quick Reply
Old 05-17-2013, 09:45 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
AllMudd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,465
I fin just about the same from newer Jeeps, no waves. From probably '00 and newer they most are clueless of the Jeep wave male or female. And I might be a little partial but, CJ, YJ, TJs to me are Jeeps. Cherokees, GCherokees, JK or JKUs are not real Jeeps they just wear the name of the brand. To me they could all be Chrysler Cherokees and so on.
AllMudd is offline   Quick Reply
Old 05-17-2013, 09:48 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
1st87yj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: NE Iowa
Posts: 243
Ill get a wave 9 out of 10 times. As said before, women and JK's no waves. I will not wave at a 4 door JK. I guess im one of the few that want to puke just looking at them. Anyways, any jeep with modifications will wave 100%.
1st87yj is offline   Quick Reply
Old 05-17-2013, 09:58 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
viperx6x9x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Norfolk Va.
Posts: 1,075
Yeah I only bother waving at CJ or wranglers. Would include willys but I haven't seen one to wave at since I got my jeep.

Sometimes they don't wave back, but it seems like it's mostly JK drivers when that happens. kinda odd.

So what other unspoken jeep traditions are there?

I've also noticed if you see another jeep in the parking lot you park next to it regardless of proximity to your destination. At least at my work there are a lot of jeep drivers, and we always park in packs. I guess jeeps, much like Harley's, are pack animals by nature.

And, if there's something you can get a tire on top of, you never leave all 4 tires on the pavement. Kind of made this one up, but you know you've done this at least once.
__________________
War does not determine who is right, it determines who is left.
viperx6x9x is offline   Quick Reply
Old 05-17-2013, 10:07 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
Z-TJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: SC/NC
Posts: 708
I drive a 4door and wave at everything! The other day I waved at 6 jeeps and nothing back. The lat one I didn't see intime to wave and they waved back.
__________________
Z-TJ is offline   Quick Reply
Old 05-17-2013, 10:18 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
Willybusmc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 194
I've passed a lifted tj with aftermarket bumpers and a winch, I waved and he looked me in the eye, with this look like I was an idiot an kept going. Some folks just don't know I guess
Willybusmc is offline   Quick Reply
Old 05-17-2013, 10:21 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
1st87yj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: NE Iowa
Posts: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z-TJ View Post
I drive a 4door and wave at everything! The other day I waved at 6 jeeps and nothing back. The lat one I didn't see intime to wave and they waved back.
Try gettin a 2 door...see what happens. U could still keep the JK for grocerys and such. The good thing is you love your jeep ( or u wouldent be on this forum ) and thats what counts.
1st87yj is offline   Quick Reply
Old 05-17-2013, 10:23 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
1st87yj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: NE Iowa
Posts: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willybusmc View Post
I've passed a lifted tj with aftermarket bumpers and a winch, I waved and he looked me in the eye, with this look like I was an idiot an kept going. Some folks just don't know I guess
He probly just stole it...
1st87yj is offline   Quick Reply
Old 05-17-2013, 10:46 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
viperx6x9x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Norfolk Va.
Posts: 1,075
I figure some people really don't know. I got my first jeep a few months ago and didn't know why people were waving at me. So I just chalked it up to another jeep thing and started waving.
__________________
War does not determine who is right, it determines who is left.
viperx6x9x is offline   Quick Reply
Old 05-17-2013, 10:53 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
Willybusmc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st87yj View Post

He probly just stole it...
Haha very possible
Willybusmc is offline   Quick Reply
Old 05-17-2013, 10:55 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
Cole Noah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: McCalla, Alabama
Posts: 257
I think they should include jeep wrangler forum web address with every new jeep sold so people can really learn about them jeeps

This forum has been great to me and taught me a lot.
Especially about the jeep wave
Hell, I've been on this forum before I had a jeep.
Being only 17, I think I've made a pretty good jeeper!
Cole Noah is offline   Quick Reply
Old 05-17-2013, 11:36 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
Orange Krusher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Northwest suburb of a suburb of Chi Town
Posts: 893
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllMudd View Post
Here is an interesting few takes on the Jeep wave.

New Jeep owners soon discover a tradition that has been around perhaps as long as Jeeps, the Jeep wave. Some may think its strange or even silly, but before you judge perhaps take a moment and consider this.

During WWII the Jeep was always on the move, often running back and forth from the front lines delivering vital supplies or urgent messages, or carry wounded soldiers, attempt rescues or bring reinforcements. Some say this is where the Jeep wave began as a way to know friend from foe or acknowledge an officer without a salute that might alert enemies of a high ranking official. Or perhaps it was just a simple gesture from soldier in one Jeep to another Jeep as they passed. A sign of camaraderie and respect between courageous souls in dark and dangerous times.

Others say the Jeep wave began after the war when the soldiers returned home. During the war the Jeep had earned a place in the hearts of many soldiers and as a result, many of those who made it home, wanted to own their own Jeep. Often the drivers of Jeeps passing on roadways would wave at each other, as they knew most likely each other had served.

Finally some claim the wave began only when civilians started buying Jeeps and taking them off road. They shared fun and excitement of tackling seemingly impossible trails and obstacles in the nimble Jeep, naturally builds a kinship with other Jeepers. The wave acknowledges that shared understanding and appreciation of the Jeeps amazing capabilities and the enjoyment ownership can bring. So next time you see a Jeep, give a wave and if you don't get one in return, don't be offended. Just consider it a wave for the 'One and Only Jeep' and what it represents, our freedom and he brave souls who fought for it!

Being a Military Service Member myself, I think the wave started in WWII where many brave souls gave us our freedom we cherish to this day. For without what so many did for this country, we as fellow Jeepers would not be able to enjoy the freedoms of off road parks, trails, and just the simple freedom of driving down the road in the summer, top down and cruising.

(O|||||O) <-----The original Jeep but I still love my YJ!
I love this story! Thanks for posting!!!
__________________
Who says you can't wear pearls (chrome) while you are muddin?
Krushr
Fox River Jeep Club
Orange Krusher is offline   Quick Reply
Old 05-17-2013, 11:42 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
Orange Krusher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Northwest suburb of a suburb of Chi Town
Posts: 893
Don't judge a book by its cover and don't be a hater!!! I am female and drive a 2D JK. I wave at every wrangler (2D, 4D, male, female, lifted, stock, CJ, YJ, TJ, JK). I initiate the wave 99% of the time. I usually get waves back but if I don't.......maybe they didn't see me or they are lost in thought.....the wave is about camaraderie not hating!!!
__________________
Who says you can't wear pearls (chrome) while you are muddin?
Krushr
Fox River Jeep Club
Orange Krusher is offline   Quick Reply
Old 05-18-2013, 12:01 AM   #18
Jeeper
 
viperx6x9x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Norfolk Va.
Posts: 1,075
We weren't hating. Females just seem to be a little more reserved about waving at a random guy passing them on the road is all. Can't blame em really.

I don't get mad. I miss a wave back sometimes too, sometimes I get busy watching the other cars around me in heavy traffic. Or maybe i'm busy talking to my wife about something while we are driving around. It happens. I wave when i notice other jeeps though so it all evens out.
__________________
War does not determine who is right, it determines who is left.
viperx6x9x is offline   Quick Reply
Old 05-18-2013, 12:03 AM   #19
Jeeper
 
WGHyrum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Colorado
Posts: 202
I live in Colorado. There are tons of jeeps here. I always wave. Most of the time I am top-down and wave outside of the vehicle. There is no way people don't see it.
I get some waves from 4 door JKs, fewer from stock JKs. Uncustomized hard top wranglers almost never wave.
Getting a wave back just makes me happy.
Sometimes I get snooty looks from expensively customized JKs. Two weeks ago, a guy in a 4 door on huge tires actually spit on my hood as he drove past. Where's the jeeplove? Don't hate me because I'm square.
__________________
[]|||||||[]
Putting on a coat is better than putting on my soft top.
WGHyrum is offline   Quick Reply
Old 05-18-2013, 12:08 AM   #20
Jeeper
 
viperx6x9x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Norfolk Va.
Posts: 1,075
Don't waste much thought on that guy. probably just a thinks he's better than you cuz he's got money type person. I bet he didn't turn a single wrench on any of those customizations. Daddy's money probably paid for em too.
__________________
War does not determine who is right, it determines who is left.
viperx6x9x is offline   Quick Reply
Old 05-18-2013, 12:10 AM   #21
Jeeper
 
WGHyrum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Colorado
Posts: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by viperx6x9x View Post
Don't waste much thought on that guy. probably just a thinks he's better than you cuz he's got money type person. I bet he didn't turn a single wrench on any of those customizations. Daddy's money probably paid for em too.
I know. It just surprised me.

Built > Bought
__________________
[]|||||||[]
Putting on a coat is better than putting on my soft top.
WGHyrum is offline   Quick Reply
Old 05-18-2013, 12:18 AM   #22
Jeeper
 
viperx6x9x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Norfolk Va.
Posts: 1,075
Yeah, i usually don't let much get to me. But that was pretty damn rude. Somebody spitting on my vehicle would definitely piss me off.

I used to chew and i spit out the window when I slowed down enough. But I never spit when there was a car next to me, just out of respect for everyone else. Didn't want to get it on their cars.
__________________
War does not determine who is right, it determines who is left.
viperx6x9x is offline   Quick Reply
Old 05-18-2013, 12:25 AM   #23
Jeeper
 
Orange Krusher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Northwest suburb of a suburb of Chi Town
Posts: 893
I had a guy cut me off and than spit on my car. I followed him to the next intersection cuz I was pissed. He got out of his car and walked to mine and spit in the window. It landed on my neck. He was muttering something about stupid women and stupid Americans. I followed him some more until the cop took over He wasn't in a jeep but a BMW!!
__________________
Who says you can't wear pearls (chrome) while you are muddin?
Krushr
Fox River Jeep Club
Orange Krusher is offline   Quick Reply
Old 05-18-2013, 12:33 AM   #24
Jeeper
 
viperx6x9x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Norfolk Va.
Posts: 1,075
Problem with those "priveliged" types is your not going to change them. Not saying all wealthy people are like that, but you know one when you meet one. Just keep on jeepin on, and remember your convertible could drive right over his convertible if you so choose. And that will bring a smug smile back to your face.
__________________
War does not determine who is right, it determines who is left.
viperx6x9x is offline   Quick Reply
Old 05-18-2013, 12:36 AM   #25
Jeeper
 
Orange Krusher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Northwest suburb of a suburb of Chi Town
Posts: 893
Quote:
Originally Posted by viperx6x9x View Post
problem with those "priveliged" types is your not going to change them. Not saying all wealthy people are like that, but you know one when you meet one. Just keep on jeepin on, and remember your convertible could drive right over his convertible if you so choose. And that will bring a smug smile back to your face.
__________________
Who says you can't wear pearls (chrome) while you are muddin?
Krushr
Fox River Jeep Club
Orange Krusher is offline   Quick Reply
Old 05-18-2013, 12:43 AM   #26
Jeeper
 
viperx6x9x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Norfolk Va.
Posts: 1,075
Man that's partly why I don't lift mine. I just know some jerk on the road is gonna piss me off one day, and i'm gonna do just that and get myself in trouble. lol.

Oh don't mind me, just flexin on this mercedes, no big deal. hahahaha.

but yeah, i just enjoy the ride. Cruisin slow with the top down, wavin at every jeep that passes. Don't really care if they wave back, it's just me being friendly cuz i'm usually in a good mood when my top's down.
__________________
War does not determine who is right, it determines who is left.
viperx6x9x is offline   Quick Reply
Old 05-18-2013, 12:46 AM   #27
Jeeper
 
Orange Krusher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Northwest suburb of a suburb of Chi Town
Posts: 893
My top was off and raining but still in good mood because I am in my Jeep. People must think I am on something......waving in the rain and bopping about.
__________________
Who says you can't wear pearls (chrome) while you are muddin?
Krushr
Fox River Jeep Club
Orange Krusher is offline   Quick Reply
Old 05-18-2013, 12:53 AM   #28
Jeeper
 
viperx6x9x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Norfolk Va.
Posts: 1,075
Do what makes you happy. Everybody else's opinion of it is their problem.

people give me funny looks all the time. Top down, radio cranked, playing completely random stuff like Journey (don't stop beleiving), or Bohemian Rhapsody. Singing right along. I don't care, I am happy.
__________________
War does not determine who is right, it determines who is left.
viperx6x9x is offline   Quick Reply
Old 05-18-2013, 12:59 AM   #29
Jeeper
 
Orange Krusher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Northwest suburb of a suburb of Chi Town
Posts: 893
Quote:
Originally Posted by viperx6x9x View Post
Do what makes you happy. Everybody else's opinion of it is their problem.

people give me funny looks all the time. Top down, radio cranked, playing completely random stuff like Journey (don't stop beleiving), or Bohemian Rhapsody. Singing right along. I don't care, I am happy.
You sound a lot like me!!
__________________
Who says you can't wear pearls (chrome) while you are muddin?
Krushr
Fox River Jeep Club
Orange Krusher is offline   Quick Reply
Old 05-18-2013, 01:02 AM   #30
Jeeper
 
2004 lj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 17,744
I drive a lifted jkr on 35's . And I will wave at pretty much anyone even an xj....some wave back some don't..there loss.

__________________
Yes it is a rubicon
2004 lj is offline   Quick Reply
Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:39 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC