Lift Questions - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > YJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > YJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 01-31-2014, 01:39 AM   #1
Jeeper
 
YJGRIZZ90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: California
Posts: 34
Lift Questions

I'm planning on doing a spring over axle conversion on my 90 YJ, after which I'd still like to add a Rough Country 2.5" suspension lift too. Now I know I would have to extend the brake lines and drop the transfer case. But what other things have to be done when doing an SOA conversion? And what other things would I have to modify/extend/drop with going to about 6 inches of lift?

__________________
I Go Topless
1990 Jeep Wrangler YJ
YJGRIZZ90 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-31-2014, 07:35 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
Jeeprich25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 558
That's a pretty big lift. SYE and a cv driveshaft would probably be better than a tcase drop. But maybe someone else has another opinion. Just my 2 cents.

__________________
1990 Jeep Wrangler YJ. 2.5L. Bone Stock, mostly.

"I'd have more money for upgrades if it didn't break every week."
Jeeprich25 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-31-2014, 07:37 AM   #3
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 552
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeprich25 View Post
that's a pretty big lift. Sye and a cv driveshaft would probably be better than a tcase drop. But maybe someone else has another opinion. Just my 2 cents.
__________________
Las Vegas
1995 YJ / New in 2013 Build Link
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f118/je...ld-333681.html
Jrozar is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-31-2014, 07:40 AM   #4
Jeeper
 
YJGRIZZ90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: California
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeprich25 View Post
That's a pretty big lift. SYE and a cv driveshaft would probably be better than a tcase drop. But maybe someone else has another opinion. Just my 2 cents.
That's a Good idea. Never thought about that
__________________
I Go Topless
1990 Jeep Wrangler YJ
YJGRIZZ90 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-31-2014, 08:27 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Staten Island
Posts: 60
I'm not quiet an Expert but i've read on the forum few times that a 2.5 inch lift requires no additional modification. Also when you buy a rough country lift, it's says the same thing in the instructions. As for 4 inch lift, you need a t-case drop, pit arm replaced and brake lines ( although also from what i've read the break lines are not necessary to be extended on a YJ as YJ has them long enough). My jeep came with a 2.5 list inch through over-sized shackles, the pit arm is stock, break lines are not extended, however the T-case been lowered.
Klimarov is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-31-2014, 08:43 AM   #6
Jeeper
 
YJ fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: White Cloud, Michigan
Posts: 925
Images: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by YJGRIZZ90 View Post
I'm planning on doing a spring over axle conversion on my 90 YJ, after which I'd still like to add a Rough Country 2.5" suspension lift too. Now I know I would have to extend the brake lines and drop the transfer case. But what other things have to be done when doing an SOA conversion? And what other things would I have to modify/extend/drop with going to about 6 inches of lift?
5.5" for the spring over plus 2.5" for the springs will be 8" of lift. You're going to need an SYE, CV shaft, Hi steer or crossover steering, anti-wrap bar on the rear, and probably bigger wider axles, because you'll want at least 35s-38s with that much lift.
__________________
92 YJ, 4.0, 5" BDS springs, 1" booms, 1" BL, 35x12.50x15 MTZ's, Ford 8.8 with LSD, 4.10 gears. It's never done though.
YJ fanatic is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-31-2014, 09:07 AM   #7
Jeeper
 
creelclmsn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 332
I have never done a SOA lift but everything I read says swap the axles while you are doing it to avoid building them twice. If you cant fabricate on your own there are a few bolt on kits for SOA lifts out there but they don't have many reviews on them. If I were going to do a SOA lift I would swap my axles out for 1/2 ton or 1 ton. Go big or go home I guess. It would cost you less money I think to buy a SUA lift kit from rough country or any other brand for that matter than to collect all the parts needed and fab up the SOA conversion. just my opinion if you are going to do the SOA might as well be right the first time.
creelclmsn is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-31-2014, 10:58 AM   #8
Jeeper
 
YJ fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: White Cloud, Michigan
Posts: 925
Images: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by creelclmsn View Post
I have never done a SOA lift but everything I read says swap the axles while you are doing it to avoid building them twice. If you cant fabricate on your own there are a few bolt on kits for SOA lifts out there but they don't have many reviews on them. If I were going to do a SOA lift I would swap my axles out for 1/2 ton or 1 ton. Go big or go home I guess. It would cost you less money I think to buy a SUA lift kit from rough country or any other brand for that matter than to collect all the parts needed and fab up the SOA conversion. just my opinion if you are going to do the SOA might as well be right the first time.
Exactly, a cheap, rigged-up SOA is not safe, for you, or people on the road with you.
__________________
92 YJ, 4.0, 5" BDS springs, 1" booms, 1" BL, 35x12.50x15 MTZ's, Ford 8.8 with LSD, 4.10 gears. It's never done though.
YJ fanatic is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-01-2014, 06:59 AM   #9
Jeeper
 
YJGRIZZ90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: California
Posts: 34
I'm just gonna stick to my original plan of a RX 4.5" lift and a 1" body lift. After readin all this it seems safer, easier and more what I'm after
__________________
I Go Topless
1990 Jeep Wrangler YJ
YJGRIZZ90 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-01-2014, 07:21 AM   #10
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 209
You'll still want a cv driveshaft and sye for a 4.5 lift
Mv7fd is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-01-2014, 07:38 AM   #11
2.5L SYMPATHIZER

WF Supporting Member
 
W5KVV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: S.E. Oklahoma
Posts: 823
A properly done SOA is just as safe as a SUA. There are thousands of SOA vehicles driving up & down the road. Don't let the safety factor scare you away. Like anything else, there are right ways & wrong ways to do it. If you don't want a rolling death trap you have to do everything 100% by the book. No deviation.

But like others have said, there's a lot more to it than just the conversion with that much lift.

If you don't wheel it hardcore, I think you'll be more than happy with the 4.5" suspension & 1" body. That seems to be a pretty popular combo on the YJ's. I agree with the post above. Save up & do the SYE the same time as the lift. I'm running the TC drop & it blows.
__________________
1995 Rio Grande - 2.5 - AX5 - 160k -
4"RC - 1/2"booms - 33's -




W5KVV is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-01-2014, 08:50 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
0III0forlife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ridgway, Pa.
Posts: 3,183
SOA gives you 5.5 to 6 inches on its own, and then put 2.5" springs with it, you will be at 8.5" of spring lift.

You don't need a SYE or a CV driveshaft ever, it just a nice mod to go with, and its around $500 for the SYE/CV conversion. You will need to get your driveshaft extended though.

The other mod that is needed is either a drop pitman arm, or OTT steering conversion, OTT is Over The Top... The drag link will hit the springs without this being done.
__________________
'87 YJ, 4.2L built and bored, 8.5" of lift, 8.8 rear, AX15/NP 231, Tom Woods drive shafts, Flat fenders, 12,000LB winch, Custom bumpers, Rattle can paint job. Never completed...
0III0forlife is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-01-2014, 11:29 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: King George, VA
Posts: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0III0forlife View Post
You don't need a SYE or a CV driveshaft ever, it just a nice mod to go with, and its around $500 for the SYE/CV conversion. You will need to get your driveshaft extended though.
So with a rear pinion angle that looks like this (and the ujoints are starting to bind when it droops) you believe you can add another 5-6" of lift & still use the same type stock shaft that's extended?

Joe Dillard is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-02-2014, 12:02 AM   #14
Jeeper
 
Jeeprich25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
So with a rear pinion angle that looks like this (and the ujoints are starting to bind when it droops) you believe you can add another 5-6" of lift & still use the same type stock shaft that's extended?
Right? But no one ever needs them. Guess I've been wrong all this time.
__________________
1990 Jeep Wrangler YJ. 2.5L. Bone Stock, mostly.

"I'd have more money for upgrades if it didn't break every week."
Jeeprich25 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-02-2014, 04:43 AM   #15
Jeeper
 
YJGRIZZ90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: California
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by W5KVV View Post
A properly done SOA is just as safe as a SUA. There are thousands of SOA vehicles driving up & down the road. Don't let the safety factor scare you away. Like anything else, there are right ways & wrong ways to do it. If you don't want a rolling death trap you have to do everything 100% by the book. No deviation. But like others have said, there's a lot more to it than just the conversion with that much lift. If you don't wheel it hardcore, I think you'll be more than happy with the 4.5" suspension & 1" body. That seems to be a pretty popular combo on the YJ's. I agree with the post above. Save up & do the SYE the same time as the lift. I'm running the TC drop & it blows.
Why length SYE should I get with the 4.5" susp and 1" body lift? Will I need a drop pitman arm?
Will I need to do anything to the drive shaft?
__________________
I Go Topless
1990 Jeep Wrangler YJ
YJGRIZZ90 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-02-2014, 09:13 AM   #16
Jeeper
 
YJ fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: White Cloud, Michigan
Posts: 925
Images: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by YJGRIZZ90 View Post
Why length SYE should I get with the 4.5" susp and 1" body lift? Will I need a drop pitman arm?
Will I need to do anything to the drive shaft?
Just get a standard SYE. You'll need a new CV shaft. And you don't need a drop arm, I don't run one on a 5" suspension lift. But you might like having one, they help with bumpsteer.
__________________
92 YJ, 4.0, 5" BDS springs, 1" booms, 1" BL, 35x12.50x15 MTZ's, Ford 8.8 with LSD, 4.10 gears. It's never done though.
YJ fanatic is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-02-2014, 11:32 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
YJGRIZZ90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: California
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by YJ fanatic View Post
Just get a standard SYE. You'll need a new CV shaft. And you don't need a drop arm, I don't run one on a 5" suspension lift. But you might like having one, they help with bumpsteer.
Forgive my lack of knowledge. What length is the standard SYE? 16.5 or 18.5
__________________
I Go Topless
1990 Jeep Wrangler YJ
YJGRIZZ90 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-03-2014, 07:05 AM   #18
Jeeper
 
YJ fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: White Cloud, Michigan
Posts: 925
Images: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by YJGRIZZ90 View Post
Forgive my lack of knowledge. What length is the standard SYE? 16.5 or 18.5
You must be thinking of the length of the shaft. You really shouldn't measure and order until the lift is in, and you know exactly what you need.

__________________
92 YJ, 4.0, 5" BDS springs, 1" booms, 1" BL, 35x12.50x15 MTZ's, Ford 8.8 with LSD, 4.10 gears. It's never done though.
YJ fanatic is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:17 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC