Stupid question - Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > YJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > YJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today

Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on
Old 05-28-2012, 08:10 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Omak WA
Posts: 93
YJ Simpson is on a distinguished road
Question Stupid question

Guys, very dumb question but I've looked through my Haynes manual and I am not tracking on what this is. I know the front of the engine near the oil filler cap is the PCV but what is this one at the rear? Just an elbow plug with a hose going from the valve cover to the air filter housing....has oil going all over the air filter housing.

YJ Simpson is offline   Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 08:12 PM   #2
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Mena, AR
Posts: 91
mike_b_ar is on a distinguished road
Yea, just a breather.

mike_b_ar is offline   Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 08:40 PM   #3
YJ325i's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Denver
Posts: 418
YJ325i is on a distinguished road
Its the breather hose, it helps equalize crankcase pressure. If its leaking, the hose my be swollen and unable to seal on the snouts. You can use heater hose as a cheap replacement, or see what dealer wants for one.
'95 YJ,2.5" SL,1" BL, BFG 33's, t-body, magnaflow exh. 4 banger
All I need is more money, more space, and more time.
YJ325i is offline   Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:05 PM   #4
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 717
ballistx is on a distinguished road
Shouldn't have excessive oil

It is a breather for the valve cover. There should be a flange on the inside to stop the oil from spashing into the hose. Then the lower static pressure of the breather box will draw air off the inside of the valve cover and run it through the engine again.

If there is excessive oil, and the deflector is there, then you may have leaking seals in the engine.
ballistx is offline   Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:21 AM   #5
STUUPID's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Front Royal, Va.
Posts: 77
STUUPID is on a distinguished road
It is called a tapered orifice they did away with pcv valve on newer fi engines. The can become clogged because there is only a small hole on the inside. Summit does sell new ones. I broke one apart to take measurements and machined two out of bronze to reinstall in my engine.
STUUPID is offline   Quote

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:26 AM.

User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC. is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC
« Back

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner