Upgrade time. - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > YJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > YJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 01-29-2006, 09:53 PM   #1
Newb
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4
Upgrade time.

Hey guys,
I am looking for suggestions, i have a stock 92 5spd and i want to upgrade it some with new stuff. I am a college student so i don't have a lot of money. But i was thinking about a sound bar or a light bar. What do you guys think about these or do you have other suggestions that aren't to costly.

Thx

yankees114 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-30-2006, 02:48 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
Tone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Pottsville, PA.
Posts: 15
Send a message via AIM to Tone
Um, pick up a catalog, or surf the net for some aftermarket parts. For cheapness, you can upgrade your headlights with xenon bulbs. =)

__________________
Jeep sucks.
Tone is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-30-2006, 05:05 PM   #3
Jack Lives Here!!!

WF Supporting Member
 
1BLKJP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 7,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankees114
Hey guys,
I am looking for suggestions, i have a stock 92 5spd and i want to upgrade it some with new stuff. I am a college student so i don't have a lot of money. But i was thinking about a sound bar or a light bar. What do you guys think about these or do you have other suggestions that aren't to costly.

Thx
Hell yeah, man. Do what you want to it. However if you add a light bar make sure you have clearance wherever you park it at night.
__________________
Thanks,
Jack Hickman

President - Arizona Off-Highway Vehicle Coalition
Vice-President - ASA4WDC
Arizona Rock Rats
1BLKJP is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-03-2006, 10:57 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Calgary, Canada
Posts: 17
Your a college student and you buy a jeep? And now you want to fix it up cheap? The rule is: Jeep and budget are opposites
HIWYH8R is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-03-2006, 11:15 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
amerijeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Mississippi.
Posts: 3,951
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIWYH8R
Your a college student and you buy a jeep? And now you want to fix it up cheap? The rule is: Jeep and budget are opposites
??????
__________________
To all who serve, Thank You.
amerijeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-04-2006, 05:07 PM   #6
Newb
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4
Yeah, I am in college and yes i bought a jeep. Is there something wrong with that? I didn't know there were requirements to be a jeep owner.
yankees114 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-04-2006, 06:06 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
amerijeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Mississippi.
Posts: 3,951
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankees114
Yeah, I am in college and yes i bought a jeep. Is there something wrong with that? I didn't know there were requirements to be a jeep owner.
I have no idea what that guy means. Seems from reading their post that they skipped going to college.
__________________
To all who serve, Thank You.
amerijeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-05-2006, 11:20 PM   #8
Newb
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4
he is from canada, i don't think anyone there has ever gone to college.
yankees114 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-05-2006, 11:57 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
blueJeeps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Hermitage, TN
Posts: 164
Ask yourself what you want your Jeep to do most.

Be a pavement pounder? If thats all you want then a sound bar makes some sense. I like the Tuffy speaker boxes myself.

If you want a trail Jeep look into a drop in locker.
__________________
'66 cj5 V6 powered Tux Park.
'94 YJ 4" Rough Country, 33s, locked rear.
'96 XJ wifes
'02 Ram Quad cab (Jeep hauler)
blueJeeps is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-06-2006, 08:24 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
amerijeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Mississippi.
Posts: 3,951
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankees114
he is from canada, i don't think anyone there has ever gone to college.
Our Jeeps make the world smaller. Be cool to the neighbors!

Let's back this down before we go to far. I love to pick and poke fun, but I'm afraid we might go to far in a bit.
__________________
To all who serve, Thank You.
amerijeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-06-2006, 11:42 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Calgary, Canada
Posts: 17
Holy crap I actually have to explain????? It was simply a joke, not in any way an insult. You know just empty every pocket, once you start it never stops, kinda thing.

Yankees, yes there is a requirement. It's called the wave, look it up

Nice comment about Canada......was going to say something but I won't bring myself down to your level.
HIWYH8R is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-07-2006, 06:40 AM   #12
Jeeper
 
3jeepguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: upstate ny
Posts: 119
okay fllas lets take it down a notch here

first thing you need to do when considering mods is figure out what you want the jeep to do if it is daily transportation consider the dependability factor dont ever base a mod on money alone when you buy cheap stuff you break cheap stuff
__________________
95 yj 4.0 4 inch bds and 1.5 shackle lift 33inch swampers for summer and 32 inch mudkings for winter 8500# milemarker winch and homemade high lift / light mount on hood

|||||||
3jeepguy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-07-2006, 09:19 AM   #13
Jeeper
 
amerijeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Mississippi.
Posts: 3,951
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3jeepguy
dont ever base a mod on money alone when you buy cheap stuff you break cheap stuff

That's an excellent point.
__________________
To all who serve, Thank You.
amerijeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-07-2006, 08:41 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Calgary, Canada
Posts: 17
Sorry about my rude manners, I'll behave I never thought I'd spend over 3 grand in accessories in just my first year of owning my YJ. Nobody told me I'd have to get a loan for the jeep parts that didn't go to fix something that was actually broken
HIWYH8R is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-07-2006, 08:51 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
amerijeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Mississippi.
Posts: 3,951
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIWYH8R
Sorry about my rude manners, I'll behave I never thought I'd spend over 3 grand in accessories in just my first year of owning my YJ. Nobody told me I'd have to get a loan for the jeep parts that didn't go to fix something that was actually broken

yikes. I need to show my wife your post. Maybe she'll cut me some slack on the spending.
__________________
To all who serve, Thank You.
amerijeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-07-2006, 09:25 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Calgary, Canada
Posts: 17
Umm, she doesn't exactly know...sorta...kinda

Seriously it wasn't exactly quite that much since I built most of it myself. I got some Quadratec catalougs when I first got my jeep and well- I like those bumpers, those rock rails, rear expedition rack and tire carrier, roof rack, etc. Untill I added it all up I was nearing 4 thou, no way I could afford that. I already have an old school arc welder and bought a cheap pipe bender and chop saw and built it all myself for about 700 which included the bender and saw. Looks great and possibly built better. I get many complements for the profesional looking work and I had no real fabricating skills when I started. I would like to post pictures but don't know how and don't have them on any website.
HIWYH8R is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-07-2006, 10:29 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
amerijeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Mississippi.
Posts: 3,951
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIWYH8R
Umm, she doesn't exactly know...sorta...kinda

Seriously it wasn't exactly quite that much since I built most of it myself. I got some Quadratec catalougs when I first got my jeep and well- I like those bumpers, those rock rails, rear expedition rack and tire carrier, roof rack, etc. Untill I added it all up I was nearing 4 thou, no way I could afford that. I already have an old school arc welder and bought a cheap pipe bender and chop saw and built it all myself for about 700 which included the bender and saw. Looks great and possibly built better. I get many complements for the profesional looking work and I had no real fabricating skills when I started. I would like to post pictures but don't know how and don't have them on any website.
Sweet. that's exactly what I have in mind. Just do it myself. You can pick up a nice little welder for the same thing you'd spend on an after market tire carrier.

Post some pics of your stuff sometime, if you have time.
__________________
To all who serve, Thank You.
amerijeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-08-2006, 02:25 PM   #18
Jack Lives Here!!!

WF Supporting Member
 
1BLKJP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 7,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by amerijeep
Sweet. that's exactly what I have in mind. Just do it myself. You can pick up a nice little welder for the same thing you'd spend on an after market tire carrier.

Post some pics of your stuff sometime, if you have time.
Yup, good thing about fabing stuff is if you don't like it then cut it up and start over.
__________________
Thanks,
Jack Hickman

President - Arizona Off-Highway Vehicle Coalition
Vice-President - ASA4WDC
Arizona Rock Rats
1BLKJP is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-08-2006, 08:26 PM   #19
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
daddyjeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Smethport, PA
Posts: 2,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIWYH8R
Umm, she doesn't exactly know...sorta...kinda

Seriously it wasn't exactly quite that much since I built most of it myself. I got some Quadratec catalougs when I first got my jeep and well- I like those bumpers, those rock rails, rear expedition rack and tire carrier, roof rack, etc. Untill I added it all up I was nearing 4 thou, no way I could afford that. I already have an old school arc welder and bought a cheap pipe bender and chop saw and built it all myself for about 700 which included the bender and saw. Looks great and possibly built better. I get many complements for the profesional looking work and I had no real fabricating skills when I started. I would like to post pictures but don't know how and don't have them on any website.
You can fabricate all that stuff, but you can't post pics Just kidding. I posted mine through photobucket. You just upload them from your computer and link them to here. I am following your footsteps too. My tax return will be in my account Friday and the welder will be here soon after. I am afraid most of my fabrication will be spent on the half scale Yj I am building for the kids. An exact replica of mine. Man am I excited to get going on this one.
__________________
87 YJ, 5.2/46RH/NP231, Custom 4 link/ Radius Arms, Ballistic Nitrogen Shocks, 35" Cooper STT DaddyJeep build Thread:http://www.wranglerforum.com/f8/dadd...ld-122601.html
daddyjeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-08-2006, 10:19 PM   #20
Jeeper
 
3jeepguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: upstate ny
Posts: 119
Quote:
You can fabricate all that stuff, but you can't post pics Just kidding. I posted mine through photobucket. You just upload them from your computer and link them to here. I am following your footsteps too. My tax return will be in my account Friday and the welder will be here soon after. I am afraid most of my fabrication will be spent on the half scale Yj I am building for the kids. An exact replica of mine. Man am I excited to get going on this one.
now that is something i want to see
__________________
95 yj 4.0 4 inch bds and 1.5 shackle lift 33inch swampers for summer and 32 inch mudkings for winter 8500# milemarker winch and homemade high lift / light mount on hood

|||||||
3jeepguy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-09-2006, 07:33 PM   #21
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
daddyjeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Smethport, PA
Posts: 2,404
I have to tell you the same thing I tell the kids...you have to be patient. It will take at least a year to get this one done. I am fabricating everything from the chain driven solid axles to the frame and body. I am still working on the drive train design. I plan on using a 5HP Briggs or bigger and chain driving it to a central transfer case of some sort. Have some work to do here, but I'll get it .
__________________
87 YJ, 5.2/46RH/NP231, Custom 4 link/ Radius Arms, Ballistic Nitrogen Shocks, 35" Cooper STT DaddyJeep build Thread:http://www.wranglerforum.com/f8/dadd...ld-122601.html
daddyjeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-14-2006, 01:04 PM   #22
Jeeper
 
yjswampthing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 226
I'm a college kid too with a bad habit of spending all my earnings on my yj. I've been looking into bumpers and lighting too....the one bad thing about a light bar is garage parking, plus the ones that mount on the windshield bracket look cheap if you asked me. Idk. Go for some KCs on the windsheild brackets or even a few on the front bumper. AUX lighting possibilities are endless

yjswampthing is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Time to upgrade! tobycat1 TJ General Discussion Forum 25 06-27-2008 04:59 PM
Lift upgrade black71gp TJ General Discussion Forum 7 04-10-2008 04:50 PM
Upgrade Time!!!!! tazmann910 TJ General Discussion Forum 38 03-13-2008 10:27 AM
upgrade time? boomer YJ General Discussion Forum 20 05-27-2007 08:29 PM
Newbie ? - Any TJ's with Full Time 4x4? ChvyCruzen TJ General Discussion Forum 3 06-15-2005 07:23 AM



» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:58 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC