Alright guys. I have happened upon another CJ-5. My Neighbors wife just died, and this man needed help clearing out his barn, so I was like sure ill help you! But in my head i was like "Wonder what i can find" And turns out he had like 5 vehicles rusting away in 2 of his barns! He had completely forgot that he had a jeep in there, and said that if i could haul it out i could have it, so like any proper man i gladly took it haha So after we cleared out a bit of stuff, i got around to tinkering, brought a new battery over, new gas etc etc... You know the deal. But i couldnt get the dang think to turn over but then i realized the negative cord to the battery had been chewed through lol so i got a new one threw it in there and fired right up! (With a few kinks worked out of course!) And then drove it out and realized it had no brakes LOL the barn is on a hill. Of course. So i finally stopped and eventually drove around to the house and brought her back home. Ive been giddy ever since lol ill be posting pics sometime this week and then ill do a thread on its resto. Im open to ideas to so reply and well see where this goes!!
Ill post some pictures as soon as I can. I gotta bring the CJ out from Minco to my shop. The excitement is building!! So, the plan so far is to
1. Master Rebuild kit on the engine. Bearing, Pistons, Crank etc.
2. Refurbish Heads and such, clean em up and make em look nice
3.Throw an SOA kit so ill have about 6" of lift and better clearance.
4.Get rid of the 2 piece AMC20 junk with a one piece replacement (We can argue about AMC20 vs other axles later )
5.New Ring&Pinion 4.56 front and rear.
6.I'm not sure about bumpers yet, might make one, might buy one. I'm very open to suggestions.
Don't worry. I'm going to document this whole entire thing for beginning to end. Haha I'm going to raise my future children to be Jeepers. Gonna have to some em how it's done I'll bring it home and put 15 pictures it so tomorrow
Alrighty. Foretcasted storms. Fun stuff, eh? Im going anyway. I planned on pulling the jeep on a trailor, but as it turns out i might have to pull my truck on the trailor with the jeep instead My F-150 is a wonderful truck, but sadly not a 4x4. Miles of dirt, (well. it'll be mud by then) and hills haha. But i said nothing would stop me, and by God I will get it.
Yeah! The bottle opener in classic huh! More pictures to come tomorrow, cause I forgot my camera at the house. Sorry
Well, I started digging into the Jeep today (Come on people she still needs a name, help me out here) and found some.. STUFF
1. Started to tear into the brakes, all four are drum brakes, sooo possibly a front disc conversion in the to come??? But the immediate issue is that only the front brakes work haha. The master cylinder seems weak, and almost all of the seals in the wheel cylinders are bad, the fronts are barely hanging in there so to fix this, i order 4 wheel cylinders off of JC Whitney and a master cylinder from autozone. The one on JC was like 21.99 at AZ it was 15.99 but the wheel cylinders were the other way around like 5 dollars cheaper online. So, to sum it up. Master Cylinder + 4(Wheel Cylinder) + 4(Drum Brake Rebuild Kit) + 8(Brake Cleaner Cans) =~ $75 Not to bad
(Might also have to buy a brake line too, there may be a kink somewhere. Ya never know.)
2.Removed the seats, and Guess What!!! Rust! So. Im sorta beginning some thoughts, what do you guys think about replacing the whole floor board with diamond plate. I can get it pressed into shape at this steel shop in town. So gimme your thoughts on that.
3.Alright. So sadly for my previously beautiful clean floor, EVERYTHING, and I mean EVERYTHING leaks Oil, Gas, Tranny, Brakes. WooHoo
Well, pictures tomorrow. Ill show yall the rust/brakes/a couple pics of the engine.
Aggh, Im so sorry guys! I dropped my camera...
Im gonna buy one tomorrow, but i doubt ill be able to get to the shop for a few days. But today all i did was clean it.
1. Wire brush to all the interior and vacuumed all the dirt out, then went over everything with brake cleaner to get some of that flaking stuff off.
2. Cleaned all the brake drums , shoes, etc... ( Im going to sandblast the drums and then go get them resurfaced this weekend I think.)
3. Cut all the crappy padding off of the roll cage and tossed it. Oh and guess what was under the padding, eh? Take your time to think. Never woulda guessed. Rust.
Ok so Ive decided that once a week or so im gonna post this ^
Im gonna spew out some ideas that have (Reasonable or not) And i figured i could get some input from you guys.
First things first- I was thinking about bedcoating the whole tub, im going to do it myself probably, but I have some concerns-------
1. How will this diminish the value of the Jeep? Or will it at all?
2. How hard is it to actually do it yourself? Ive never put in on by spraying before, so if any of you have, im very open to suggestions.
3. If I put rust protectant on everything before bedlining it, will that affect how well it adheres?
4. Color I was thinking white bedliner on the outside and black on the inside. Thoughts??
-------- -------- ---------
I think that I already mentioned this too, but there's rust in the floor boards and instead of cutting it all out and replacing the areas with cancer, I was thinking about getting a sheet of diamond plate and having it pressed into shape for the floor-board. Its original because Ive never seen anyone with it as the floor board, Ive only seen them cover it. It wouldn't cost to much, only about $150 minus the cost of the actual diamond plate. So just gimme your thoughts.
Those are the ideas for today, so Ill see what you say to those. Buut, i was also wondering if you guys knew any ways to improve drum brakes ( other than switching to disc )
Sorry about no pics, but life happens. So ill have em soon.
Ok guys, Im alive once again. My internet has been down for a week, my camera doesnt want to work, and it wont upload pics to wranglerforum. So, in the meantime, while im working out my technological blocks, ill give you a little update on what ive done.
I havnt had much time at all these past few weeks. Ive only had one day off a week, and ive spent most of those days doing chores Trees to be cut, acreage to be mowed, etc.... So, i just havnt had time.
Alright, ive completed the brakes, front and rear, sandblasted the gunk of the drums, bought new lines, master cylinder, wheel cylinders etc etc. Got those on there and realized, well crap. I need new studs to put my wheels on... so i just ordered 20 studs yesterday. Ill try to get some of these pictures online, but it hasnt been working. I was looking today and i noticed my radiator line was buldging a little, so i touched it. And it popped. Blew anti-freeze all over me. so after some cleanup, and once I stopped feeling numb from that old crap, i bought a new line. Then i noticed i needed a few things. a vacuum cap for something (No idea what it is, just had a piece of tape over it haha), 1 distributor wire cause it has a cut in it, new belts, my speedo doesnt work because the line was laying on the headers and it melted, so new speedo line, and the problem i was having with my clutch was because it was hitting the headers, so i think ill take them out, have the headers modified, buy new gaskets to get rid of my exhaust leaks (leakSSSSS), and hopefully itll fix all that. And its still misfiring, so maybe a carb rebuild?
My tires are leaky so i was thinking new tires. Advice? Thanks.