10-31-2011, 11:45 PM
Join Date: Sep 2011
My jeep is home! To begin with the repairs would take me the rest of the night but I'll attempt a readers digest version.
The jeep was overheating on hills and having flooding (spill over) problems from the carb.
The fix was several issues. Following the directions from Edlebrock, we mounted the stock heat shield on the underside of the intake manifold. Baffles were installed around the drain holes to eliminate the PCV valve suction from sucking the oil into the carb on hills or being splashed into the heat shield. Sides gaskets were installed to eliminate the intake manifold leak.The intake manifold leak caused the engine to run very lean causing heat and oil to cake on the valves. The valve stems were also galled. The heads were totally rebuilt because of the damage caused by the original shop that did the work.They failed to do the following:
1. Transfer the stock intake manifold heat shield to the Edlebrock manifold.
2. Failed to install the intake manifold side gaskets.
3. Used RTV sealant around the valley pan gasket on three separate installs. The sealant did not cure and ended up in the waterways in the block, heads, water pump and came to rest in the radiator. These areas were flushed, however a new radiator was installed.
4.The stock water pump impellers to casing dimension were supposed to be between .040" to .060. The water pump that was installed has two impellers at a loose .065". The rest were up to 3/16"away from the casing. The pump was not moving the appropriate amount of water to cool the engine. A new high flow water pump was installed.
Upon running the engine with these repairs the heat scan readings were @ 163 degrees F. The previous readings were from 208 degrees to 280 degrees F.
The 600 cfm Edlebrock carb with an offroad kit was changed to a Holley 470 cfm Truck Avenger carb. The front metering plate had a broken emulsification valve and the stock power valve was too weak. Since the new carb is under warranty a new carb was ordered. In order to dyno the motor with the repairs mentioned above, shop repair parts were placed into the existing Holly carb and the following performance information was noted. The engine never stumbled, a significant increase in horsepower and foot pounds of torque were noted especially when the secondaries were brought on line. The jets were replaced to give me an air to fuel ration of 14 at idle and 13.66 at peak performance. Without a pusher fan in front of the dyno the engine never operated even close to an overheat condition. My stock flexlalite electric fans were adequate enough to cool the motor when placed in the midrange cooling position on the rheostat.
The moral of the story at this point boys and girls is when it comes to using a shop to do repairs please check them out first. Make sure they know what they are doing. So far the cost of the repairs will be in the neighborhood of $4,000. I will more than likely end up in litigation with the original shop.
I also have a saying that is appropriate in describing the two years of hell I have been through. You can buy the oats before or after they have gone through the horse. Low prices are soon forgotten when you are faced with inadequate performance.
One thing I failed to mention was that the motor and heads were rebuilt by a reputable local company. Their work was impeccable.
The way my jeep runs now is what I had hoped for two years ago. Thanks for all the encouragement, especially from Dempsey.
On a side note the following also happened from ther original shop.
I was given the ok to take my Jeep home after the bogus shop repaired the vacuum leak (3rd time) and repaired the heat and fuel gauge. I drove this jeep home, 23 miles, with no water in the radiator. I added two gallons of antifreeze once I arrived home and discovered the heat gauge was not working and the engine was in a significant overheat condition.