Cj7 for cj - Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > CJ Jeep Forum > CJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 03-22-2012, 11:56 AM   #1
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 128
Cj7 for cj

Hey everyone my sons 2 years old and is obsessed with the jeep and working on it as I am, I was going to buy a jk or lj and give him my yj when hes older, than decided his name is cj so get him a cj, sorry for the background on to the question, I was thinking of builing up a cj7 or cj5 from ground up meaning everything new not restore so when he graduates high school, im stuck on if I should restore or build up with all new shit since id use bigger axles with lockers, abs, disc brakes, maybe a 305, just trying to see which route to go I have 15 years to build it so seeking ideas for the drawing board

1990wrangler is offline   Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:00 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
Dempsey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Tobacco Country
Posts: 4,957
Tough question. I think it really depends on what you want. For me I couldn't spend the time to restore to original. I have a mustang to drive to shows. But on the other end you don't want too much of a trail rig either.

To be honest I would build a YJ that looks like a CJ. You get a better frame and tub, better suspension and fuel injection ('91 up). But thats just me. If its going to be for your son in school and college it will need to be reliable. Not that CJ's cant be.

Now this is exact opposite of what I did but im crazy.

__________________
'76 CJ7
It's red.
'99 TJ
It's red too.
Dempsey is offline   Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:03 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
YJPete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: New River Valley, VA
Posts: 97
Either you build it up or he will. If you've got that much time you may as well go all out.
__________________
2.5" on the suspension, 1" on the shackles, 2" on the body, 4.88 Superior Gears, 35" Goodyear MT/R with Kevlar, MSD-6 Offroad ignition box, Flowmaster Exhaust, Warn 9.5Ti Winch, Detroit Tru-Trac Front, Detroit Locker Back

"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself." -Han Solo
YJPete is offline   Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 08:03 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dempsey
Tough question. I think it really depends on what you want. For me I couldn't spend the time to restore to original. I have a mustang to drive to shows. But on the other end you don't want too much of a trail rig either.

To be honest I would build a YJ that looks like a CJ. You get a better frame and tub, better suspension and fuel injection ('91 up). But thats just me. If its going to be for your son in school and college it will need to be reliable. Not that CJ's cant be.

Now this is exact opposite of what I did but im crazy.
I plan on different everything lol nothing but frame and body stay untouched, and no yj I got one I want him to have disc brakes, abs I live in ny so it sucks when my brakes lock up
1990wrangler is offline   Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 08:04 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by YJPete
Either you build it up or he will. If you've got that much time you may as well go all out.
Yea I figured I got such a long time might as well do it big so he doesnt have to d ok anything
1990wrangler is offline   Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 07:00 AM   #6
Jeeper
 
CJ-John's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Back in Upstate New york
Posts: 354
I know people may tear me up for this, but one of the TV show's did a CJ on a custom TJ frame that would give you easy access to modern stuff like ABS and FI with the ride of the TJ and looks of the CJ just an idea.
__________________
79 CJ-7 304 4 speed all stock
07 Dodge Nitro
12 Chevy Malibu
Back in the finger lakes area of upstate NY
CJ-John is offline   Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:23 AM   #7
IITYWTMWYBMAB

WF Supporting Member
::WF Administrator::
 
4Jeepn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Florence, KY
Posts: 10,889
My pick would be a 2006 rubicon, going out 15 years from now.. it will still be somewhat new.. will be safer for him to drive.. and comes with most of the stuff to hit the trail in stock form.
__________________
79.96.85.00.01.97.00.97.93.97.95.94
CJ.XJ.CJ. TJ. TJ.ZJ. TJ.TJ. ZJ.ZJ.YJ. XJ
4Jeepn is offline   Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 12:53 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by johninmichigan
I know people may tear me up for this, but one of the TV show's did a CJ on a custom TJ frame that would give you easy access to modern stuff like ABS and FI with the ride of the TJ and looks of the CJ just an idea.
Thats a good idea too
1990wrangler is offline   Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 12:55 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Jeepn
My pick would be a 2006 rubicon, going out 15 years from now.. it will still be somewhat new.. will be safer for him to drive.. and comes with most of the stuff to hit the trail in stock form.
thanks but the reason of the cj is cause its his initials otherwise I would get him a lj rubicon
1990wrangler is offline   Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 05:32 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
Cj7otr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 203
I've looked at building a ground up "new" CJ7, and you start to realize why new cars cost so much...
Might be easier to change his name to LJ!
Cj7otr is offline   Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 06:00 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cj7otr
I've looked at building a ground up "new" CJ7, and you start to realize why new cars cost so much...
Might be easier to change his name to LJ!
Lmfao, maybe it ill save and buy him one when hes like 16 so we can lift it and pimp it out lol

1990wrangler is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
wanted: Soft top for full door TJ FISHN4X4 Classifieds Archive 6 04-01-2012 11:04 AM
What should I do for a first mod for my tj? Sway Baby Sway TJ General Discussion Forum 22 03-24-2012 09:36 PM
35" out for delivery Awheeler75 JK General Discussion Forum 15 03-23-2012 01:19 AM
Rust-oleum bed liner or krylon fusion satin for my 03 bumpers? lildrummaboy16 TJ General Discussion Forum 19 03-22-2012 02:08 PM
What are Procal setting you guys using for your 33" Duratracs? New2012JEEP JK General Discussion Forum 19 03-22-2012 08:46 AM



Download our Mobile App

» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:03 PM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2015 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC