Looking at a CJ 5 - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > CJ Jeep Forum > CJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 01-01-2014, 10:25 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
Hokieneer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Wild and Wonderful WV
Posts: 876
Looking at a CJ 5

Hey This CJ has come up for sale and I am going to look at it. I don't know much about CJ's what should I look out for? I really want to start my first jeep build and The owner states that it runs.
Here is the info on it: odd-fire v-6, 3 speed, d18



Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks All!

__________________
The woods are lovely, dark, and deep, but I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep, and miles to go before I sleep.
-Robert Frost
Hokieneer is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-02-2014, 06:40 AM   #2
Moderator

::WF Moderator::
 
harleydragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: south georgia
Posts: 3,909
just check for rust,leaks and general condition..see how it drives and what works/doesn't work so you know what you are getting into..that is a good drivetrain but it is old so chances are it will need some work..it has no disc brakes or power steering probably if that matters to you.the way the steering column is on these jeeps as well as the cj5 body makes it uncomfortable to me as I get older and fatter

harleydragon is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-02-2014, 02:35 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
Hokieneer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Wild and Wonderful WV
Posts: 876
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleydragon View Post
just check for rust,leaks and general condition..see how it drives and what works/doesn't work so you know what you are getting into..that is a good drivetrain but it is old so chances are it will need some work..it has no disc brakes or power steering probably if that matters to you.the way the steering column is on these jeeps as well as the cj5 body makes it uncomfortable to me as I get older and fatter
Thanks for the advice, I am used to no power steering so no big. Any ball park on what you would offer?
__________________
The woods are lovely, dark, and deep, but I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep, and miles to go before I sleep.
-Robert Frost
Hokieneer is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-02-2014, 03:07 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
Sucker Punch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 1,595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokieneer View Post
Thanks for the advice, I am used to no power steering so no big. Any ball park on what you would offer?
$1,500 give or take if the body is in decent shape, frame is solid, and runs good?

What year is it? Definitely looks like a 1971 or earlier short nose. I had a 1970 CJ5 for a short time.
Should have the Buick Dauntless V6 engine. Looks like it has quite a bit of bondo in the usual rust spots. I would lay the windshield down and check for rust between the windshield frame and tub also.

If you pick this up I recommend joining EarlyCJ5.net Forum. Lots of nice helpful people that know everything you need to know about the early CJ's.

Edit: I'm a little stumped on what year this Jeep is. It has the short nose(I think), the early windshield frame, but it looks like it has an older tub on it? I'm not seeing the gas tank under the drivers seat... hmm
__________________
Current Jeeps:
2014 Granite JKU Rubicon Half Doors
Granite Thread
1984 Blue CJ7
- Project...

Sucker Punch is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-02-2014, 05:55 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
Hokieneer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Wild and Wonderful WV
Posts: 876
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sucker Punch View Post
$1,500 give or take if the body is in decent shape, frame is solid, and runs good?

What year is it? Definitely looks like a 1971 or earlier short nose. I had a 1970 CJ5 for a short time.
Should have the Buick Dauntless V6 engine. Looks like it has quite a bit of bondo in the usual rust spots. I would lay the windshield down and check for rust between the windshield frame and tub also.

If you pick this up I recommend joining EarlyCJ5.net Forum. Lots of nice helpful people that know everything you need to know about the early CJ's.

Edit: I'm a little stumped on what year this Jeep is. It has the short nose(I think), the early windshield frame, but it looks like it has an older tub on it? I'm not seeing the gas tank under the drivers seat... hmm
Yeah the owner says it is titled as a 72 but he thinks it is a 71 my guess is that it might be from a few different years. Which is not a huge deal to me I am looking for more of a trail rig than something to do a full correct restoration.
__________________
The woods are lovely, dark, and deep, but I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep, and miles to go before I sleep.
-Robert Frost
Hokieneer is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-03-2014, 10:53 AM   #6
Jeeper
 
CJ5_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 54
It looks a bit rough and sounds like it has been modified. Unless you have deep pockets, lots of time, and want to make a Frankenstien based crawler out of it, I would look elsewhere as there are cleaner vehicles out there that would be good for a first project. I had a 1972 before and it was a good jeep but that vintage is harder to find parts for. In addition, that year's frame is not as strong as the 76 or later frames and your picture seems to indicate the Jeep has some sag showing.
CJ5_fan is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-03-2014, 11:30 AM   #7
Jeeper
 
Hokieneer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Wild and Wonderful WV
Posts: 876
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ5_fan View Post
It looks a bit rough and sounds like it has been modified. Unless you have deep pockets, lots of time, and want to make a Frankenstien based crawler out of it, I would look elsewhere as there are cleaner vehicles out there that would be good for a first project. I had a 1972 before and it was a good jeep but that vintage is harder to find parts for. In addition, that year's frame is not as strong as the 76 or later frames and your picture seems to indicate the Jeep has some sag showing.
Yeah I am a little concerned about the frame but I am going to go over it with a fine tooth comb tomorrow. This will be my first classic jeep project but not my first classic, I have done a couple of triumphs and have first hand experience with rotted frames so I am prepared. Thanks for the advice!

__________________
The woods are lovely, dark, and deep, but I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep, and miles to go before I sleep.
-Robert Frost
Hokieneer is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:08 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC