My sons 74 CJ - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > CJ Jeep Forum > CJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 06-24-2012, 06:14 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
LoveJiuJitsu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 378
My sons 74 CJ

Story:

My father has a fixed up 79 CJ in which last month, he said was going to be my sons when he turned 15 (He's 11 now). Color me jealous.

I absolutely love this thing. Biggest problem I see coming out of this, is the 10 mpg it gets combined with a teenager....Guess he better start working up that allowance for gas!










LoveJiuJitsu is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-24-2012, 06:19 PM   #2
IITYWTMWYBMAB

WF Supporting Member
::WF Administrator::
 
4Jeepn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Florence, KY
Posts: 10,077
Images: 5
very nice.. makes me want to get one...

__________________
79.96.85.00.01.97.00.97.93.97.95.94
CJ.XJ.CJ. TJ. TJ.ZJ. TJ.TJ. ZJ.ZJ.YJ. XJ
4Jeepn is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-24-2012, 07:33 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
LoveJiuJitsu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 378
Thanks! I just noticed I put 75 in the title and 79 in the description...../bonk.

It's a 79.
LoveJiuJitsu is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-24-2012, 07:44 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
C.L.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: North NJ
Posts: 2,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveJiuJitsu View Post
Biggest problem I see coming out of this, is the 10 mpg it gets combined with a teenager.
Fantastic looking Jeep, but... I'd be more worried about the stainless steel dash, non-collapsible steering column, and lack of air bag combined with teenager. You only get one change to make your first really bad "oops" as a new driver; a CJ is not a forgiving vehicle to be in when that time comes.
C.L. is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-24-2012, 08:20 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.L. View Post
Fantastic looking Jeep, but... I'd be more worried about the stainless steel dash, non-collapsible steering column, and lack of air bag combined with teenager. You only get one change to make your first really bad "oops" as a new driver; a CJ is not a forgiving vehicle to be in when that time comes.
I learned to drive in a 77 cj-7 as a teenager I flipped it once, hit walls, got it stuck, laid on its side once or twice. After all that, it didn't kill me even once!

We DID invest in a 5pt harness for both front seats before I was allowed to turn the Key the first time though... That was 16 years ago..


So my only recommendation is if he is going to get it.. 4 or 5pt Harnesses mandatory.
Shadowkraze is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-24-2012, 09:14 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
Cj7otr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 203
What's wrong with a stainless dash?
Anyway, jeep looks great! I think the saying, "guns don't kill, people do" applies here. A crazy driving teen can wreck anything. Teach him how to drive it properly and don't toss him the keys until he proves it. Put a roll cage on it, good seat belts and ditto on the collapsable steering column.
Cj7otr is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-25-2012, 04:33 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
LoveJiuJitsu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.L. View Post
Fantastic looking Jeep, but... I'd be more worried about the stainless steel dash, non-collapsible steering column, and lack of air bag combined with teenager. You only get one change to make your first really bad "oops" as a new driver; a CJ is not a forgiving vehicle to be in when that time comes.
I didn't even think of these things. Looks like a collapsible steering column and 5 point harness are needing to be ordered.

And thank you all for the compliments.
LoveJiuJitsu is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-18-2012, 08:27 AM   #8
Jeeper
 
LoveJiuJitsu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 378
Bumping this after a few months....

So my father decided to give this jeep to me for Xmas (can't wait!). Due to the safety concerns mentioned above, we have already decided to get my son a newer jeep (YJ or TJ) when the time comes, and keep this for my personal recreational, back road driving, ice-cream getter.

I started trying to find a collapsible steering column to order online, but for the life of me can't find anything of the sort. Plenty of tilting columns, just no collapsible ones. Anyone have any recommendations?
LoveJiuJitsu is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-18-2012, 08:35 AM   #9
Moderator

::WF Moderator::
 
harleydragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: south georgia
Posts: 3,910
just drive it..it's a jeep,don't turn it into a mercedes
harleydragon is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-19-2012, 10:38 AM   #10
Jeeper
 
LoveJiuJitsu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 378
Right....

So, anyone with real advice/info?
LoveJiuJitsu is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-19-2012, 11:32 AM   #11
Jeeper
 
jrussblues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: se la
Posts: 3,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveJiuJitsu
Right....

So, anyone with real advice/info?
The internal parts of a cj's steering column, mainly the steering shaft, are already designed to collapse when hit. Makes for a really fun time when installing a steering column that you have to tap in while it wants to suck back into the tube. All of that said it's a piss poor safety feature. As far as a 4 or 5 point harness, those will put all of the pressure on your neck in an impact so for street driving I wouldn't recommend that either. A standard 3 point seat belt is sufficient and likely safer if you don't plan on doing anything crazy.
__________________
06 LJ
78? CJ-7
jrussblues is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-22-2012, 03:14 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
LoveJiuJitsu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 378
Thanks for the response jrussblues.
LoveJiuJitsu is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-26-2012, 08:02 AM   #13
Jeeper
 
lynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: York, PA
Posts: 1,156
Tat Jeep shows cues of being a '74/75, not a '79. The windshield is from a '69 - 75, the dash heater controls are from an intermediate (72 - 75), the taillights/back-uplight arrangement also comes from the intermediates.
If the VIN translates as a '79, then some major swapping with earlier parts was done.
Regardless, its a nice looking CJ5.

I always recommend that young drivers put a year of driving under their belt before driving a CJ (or any SWB Jeep) as a DD. Driving a CJ as a DD demands constant attention and focus.
A new driver should be paying attention to the driving environment and not be distracted by paying attention to the unique demands of the vehicle.
__________________
Lynn
'05 LJ
lynn is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-03-2012, 02:32 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 17
lookin good!
jakekaminski is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-06-2012, 08:16 AM   #15
Jeeper
 
LoveJiuJitsu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn View Post
Tat Jeep shows cues of being a '74/75, not a '79. The windshield is from a '69 - 75, the dash heater controls are from an intermediate (72 - 75), the taillights/back-uplight arrangement also comes from the intermediates.
If the VIN translates as a '79, then some major swapping with earlier parts was done.
Regardless, its a nice looking CJ5.

I always recommend that young drivers put a year of driving under their belt before driving a CJ (or any SWB Jeep) as a DD. Driving a CJ as a DD demands constant attention and focus.
A new driver should be paying attention to the driving environment and not be distracted by paying attention to the unique demands of the vehicle.
I'll check how things line up. I don't have the jeep yet, as it's getting some work done to it before it's handed over to me. I do know that my father bought it from someone who restored it, so that could definitely be the case.

Thanks for the info!
LoveJiuJitsu is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-06-2012, 10:56 AM   #16
Jeeper
 
Moabrubi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Posts: 1,576
OK, I'll admit it.. I'm super jealous! I love old CJ's! Especially ones that are nice and haven't been hacked up! Is that a factory color? I really like that one.

One day I will restore a cool old CJ back to stock.
Moabrubi is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-07-2012, 04:07 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
LoveJiuJitsu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moabrubi View Post
OK, I'll admit it.. I'm super jealous! I love old CJ's! Especially ones that are nice and haven't been hacked up! Is that a factory color? I really like that one.

One day I will restore a cool old CJ back to stock.
It's not the factory color. It was green originally.

I can't wait to get it, so I know what you mean. Right now, it's having some exhaust work done to it. I was told that Santa should be bringing it to me between Xmas and New Years.

One thing I want to change ASAP, is the rims. I just want the good old classic look of Mickey Thompson Classics in black. I wonder how hard it would be to trade....hrm.
LoveJiuJitsu is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-08-2012, 01:41 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
Moabrubi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Posts: 1,576
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveJiuJitsu View Post
It's not the factory color. It was green originally.

I can't wait to get it, so I know what you mean. Right now, it's having some exhaust work done to it. I was told that Santa should be bringing it to me between Xmas and New Years.

One thing I want to change ASAP, is the rims. I just want the good old classic look of Mickey Thompson Classics in black. I wonder how hard it would be to trade....hrm.
I loved the green CJ's as well. One of my favorite colors.

Agreed about the wheels, put some factory wheels on that thang! Would look even sweeter.
Moabrubi is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-10-2012, 02:52 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
LoveJiuJitsu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 378
I received the VIN today. Sure enough, it's a 1979. I guess it's like you said lynn, with older parts transplanted in during the restoration. Frankenjeep, I guess. Says the body is an LL (?).
LoveJiuJitsu is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-10-2012, 10:51 PM   #20
Jeeper
 
Trendsetter75's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 565
is the ignition in the dash or steering column. What year did they move them from the dash to the steering column?
__________________
2010 BLACK UNLIMITED SPORT 3.8L (6spd)
Rancho29xl 30xl shocks/OME 2.5 Springs/JKS FTB/TF RTB Bracket/JKS Discos/JKS Brakeline Relocations/Rancho Correction Brackets/Rancho Steering Stabilizer/OME Bumpstops/Yukon 4.88/Tracker 16x8.5/Duratracs 35s/RCV D30 Shafts/E-Locker D44/ARB Differential Covers/RedRock Grille Guard/Valvoline Oil
Trendsetter75 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-11-2012, 07:50 AM   #21
Jeeper
 
LoveJiuJitsu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trendsetter75 View Post
is the ignition in the dash or steering column. What year did they move them from the dash to the steering column?
The ignition is in the dash.

Noob question....How would I make the wheels stick out just a tad past the fenders? Is it backspacing within the rim or spacers? This is the exact look I want on the CJ in regards to wheels (not my jeep):
LoveJiuJitsu is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-11-2012, 08:46 AM   #22
Jeeper
 
ken78744's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveJiuJitsu

The ignition is in the dash.

Noob question....How would I make the wheels stick out just a tad past the fenders? Is it backspacing within the rim or spacers? This is the exact look I want on the CJ in regards to wheels (not my jeep):
It is one or the other, you can do spacer or get totally different rims. Getting spacers would be the cheaper way to get it done with out having to buy new rims and ect...
ken78744 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-11-2012, 03:13 PM   #23
Jeeper
 
LoveJiuJitsu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by ken78744 View Post
It is one or the other, you can do spacer or get totally different rims. Getting spacers would be the cheaper way to get it done with out having to buy new rims and ect...
Thank you for the quick response. I plan on getting new rims, as I am not a fan of the current ones. Now I just need to figure out how all of this backspacking works.

LoveJiuJitsu is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:46 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC