I received a bunch of parts on Friday, but had a party to attend, so I worked off a hang over in the garage and started on the project late Saturday morning.
The first thing I did was take some base weights and measurements:
Front cross member to ground - 11"
Front frame to ground - 13.5"
Rear frame to ground - 15"
Roll height (centerline of axle to ground) - 15.5"
13.75" - Rear / LCA z-dimension (z) - frame
11.75" - Rear / LCA z - axle
19.5" - Rear / UCA z - frame
20.0" - Rear / UCA z - frame
Rear spring ride height (distance from upper to lower coil pad) - 11"
Front spring ride height - 10.25"
Front up-travel = 3.75"
Front down-travel = 5"
Rear up-travel = 5"
Rear down-travel = 3.25
25" - centerline of axle to bottom of the front fender
XRC front fender (single) with edge guard - 30lbs
Stock front fender (sheet metal), with fender flare - 18lbs
The clearance and strength of the fenders was worth giving up 24lbs total.
Front door: 63lbs each
Rear door: 46lbs each
The 35's on my TJ don't seem much larger than the stock JKUR mudders.
Next, I started pulling all the stock parts; e.g., fender flares, front fenders, the spare tire carrier and front bumper. Luckily I had help, because I was still moving at half pace, so while I worked on the driver side, my co-pilot took care of the driver side.
My yard was stating to look like a yard sale.
Finally down to a blank canvas.
20131005_144154_zps252bc78b.jpg Photo by john_sblendorio | Photobucket
I started with the XRC front fenders. A couple note worthy comments; first, they were very well packaged - no bent tabs, scratches or dents. The finish of the parts themselves looks very durable and they shipped ALL stainless hardware including nylock nuts, which is more than I can say for several well known manufacturers. It frustrate me to have to spend another $50 on matching hardware from suppliers who advertise stainless hardware only to find steel nuts and even more when they supply steel SAE fasteners instead of the correct metric hardware (cheap and lazy). I have a huge box of useless (to me) hardware from my TJ project. Steel hardware has no place on a Jeep - certainly not as exterior fasteners. ...enough of my rant.
I am feeling pretty good about the alignment of the parts.
The XRC armor really opens up the wheel well.
I knew I was going to give up some weight running these fenders compared to an aluminum replacement fender, but I really like the look of this kit and it is WAY stronger than the factory sheet metal. I like that the XRC designers were thinking out of the box and it looks different than 99% of the JK's running around town and there are a lot of mall crawlers in Austin.