Alrighty then, I'm giddy over this project today.
Since changing out my sound bar speakers to Polk db651 my system seemed to reveal a major weakness in the front mids. They'd pop and distort pretty easily with even a moderately bass-heavy song. The tweeters sucked too.
I ultimately decided to swap out the front 4 speakers for the Polk MM6501 component set
. I did some reading and this is supposed to be their "Mobile Monitors." They're flagship line of speakers.
They look different than any speakers I've had before. I've never really got into anything exotic as far as build materials go on speakers. The run-of-the-mill upgrade set is all I've ever bought. These things look
great upon first inspection. Counterintuitively, the mid woofers are also light. I was expecting something pretty substantial. But then I remember this from the product literature:
Neodymium is a rare earth material we use in all MM driver magnets, excluding 461P, that are about 1/10 the weight of a comparable ceramic magnet and much more powerful. The smaller magnet means the MM6501 components fit easily into more applications.
Here's a comparison shot of the POS "premium" Alpine speakers I removed. I tore off the protective film to reveal the speaker cone.
Comparison showing the magnets.
They installed easily into the speaker tubs that hold the stock speakers. The speakers came with an adapter bracket that was required to mount the new speakers. I applied a line of extruded butyl rope between the speaker box and bracket, then tightened down the speaker. I also filled the box with polyfil.
Here's the two speakers ready to go back in.
I then needed to move to the tweeters. I knew this wouldn't simply be a remove and replace due to the size of the new tweeters.
Here's a comparison of the stock unit and the Polk tweeters.
I enlarged the tweeter pods using my RotoZip tool and a sanding bit.
The rough edges and odd shape don't matter because the new tweeters mount in a flush mount with a beauty ring which hides that mess.
Here's the flush mount ready to accept the tweeter.
Here's the pretty tweeter all mounted inside the pod.
I then mounted the crossovers using double sided tape to the back side of the lower dash panel. There's enough room at the bottom of those panels to hide everything neatly.
I wired these front components directly to my Pioneer AVH-X4500BT head unit. The sound bar speakers and sub are still wired to the factory Alpine amplifier.
A big thanks to b.lister for his detailed tutorial on how to remove the front speakers. That made this job a breeze.
The result of this incredibly pleasing!
The sound is so rich and the bass hits so much harder and clearer. I was worried because I read a review somewhere on the internet that these lack good bass. Boy was that guy wrong, or screwed something up. I love my sound system so much better now.
The next step will be to replace the factory sub and wire it to a mono amp.