My Sprintex Super Charger install thread for my Jeep JK 3,8 l..., Under $3995. - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Build Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 02-12-2012, 01:56 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Lancaster
Posts: 62
My Sprintex Super Charger install thread for my Jeep JK 3,8 l..., Under $3995.

I just wanted to share this with anyone else who may be interested in this....

I am so excited with my new jeep and the first thing I want to get is a Super Charger... I had a little help from some other forums members... and along with much of my own reading and studying on the subject I have decided to go with the Sprintex Super Charger for my 2010 Jeep JK.....

I am very excited to get it, I was informed I may receive it as soon as March.

I understand I will be one of the first... thus kind of a guinea pig, but I believe this is a very safe bet for the following reasons:

Sprintex is very large company which has been in business for many years, and publicly traded.
The Super Charger itself is a true and tried design of theirs that they have been running for several years on other cars.
The Super Charger has won awards for being the most efficient Super Charger made.
It will be the only one that is CARB approved for our Jeeps.
Hypertech is doing all the mappings and CARB approval work.
Hypertech will be taking care of tech support!
There will be no cutting of any type, Battery location stays the same.
The castings for the intake and are made here in the USA! The Super Charger in Australia.
Install time is quoted to be 3-4 hours.


Before i install it I will run a Dyno, and then a second Dyno after the install. We will see together the results.... good, bad or indifferent, I will report all.

Here is a picture of the unit, I think it is an amazing design:


pauldana is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-12-2012, 02:14 PM   #2
MallCrawler

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 34,338
Subscribed!!!!!'

What is the difference to RIPP?

__________________
2007 Rubicon/Rock Krawler triple rate 2.5" coils/RK rear TB w/ a teraflex raised bracket/Rancho 9000 31/32XL shocks/Synergy flipped draglink,ball joints,tie rod /Hankook MT 315-75-16 on Level 8 ZX's/Rancho geo brackets/Ruff stuff uppers/Fox ATS stabilizer/Adams front DS/Artec front armor w/ Currie upper bushings/Rancho cat back exhaust.

Lifting your JK? Read this!!



Click HERE to become a WranglerForum Supporting Member!
kjeeper10 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-12-2012, 02:37 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Lancaster
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjeeper10 View Post
Subscribed!!!!!'

What is the difference to RIPP?
HUGE difference.... this is a positives displacement twin screw SC.... and with its very high efficiency rating it does not need an intercooler....

price is up to $1,500 cheaper... its not a "KIT" and was made just for our Jk's!!!!

much better design, and this type of SC gives better and quicker lower end tq.
pauldana is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-12-2012, 02:40 PM   #4
MallCrawler

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 34,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldana

HUGE difference.... this is a positives displacement twin screw SC.... and with its very high efficiency rating it does not need an intercooler....

price is up to $1,500 cheaper... its not a "KIT" and was made just for our Jk's!!!!

much better design, and this type of SC gives better and quicker lower end tq.
$1500 cheaper... So... $3500 ish?

Install looks like it would be easier also.
__________________
2007 Rubicon/Rock Krawler triple rate 2.5" coils/RK rear TB w/ a teraflex raised bracket/Rancho 9000 31/32XL shocks/Synergy flipped draglink,ball joints,tie rod /Hankook MT 315-75-16 on Level 8 ZX's/Rancho geo brackets/Ruff stuff uppers/Fox ATS stabilizer/Adams front DS/Artec front armor w/ Currie upper bushings/Rancho cat back exhaust.

Lifting your JK? Read this!!



Click HERE to become a WranglerForum Supporting Member!
kjeeper10 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-12-2012, 03:01 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
Osage Orange's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Lewistown IL
Posts: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldana View Post
HUGE difference.... this is a positives displacement twin screw SC.... and with its very high efficiency rating it does not need an intercooler....

price is up to $1,500 cheaper... its not a "KIT" and was made just for our Jk's!!!!

much better design, and this type of SC gives better and quicker lower end tq.
A directly mounted twin screw design should leave you with more space to play with under the hood than an externally mounted design, not to mention more structurally sound. .....I wonder if there will be a Pentastar version available sometime?
__________________

2012 Wrangler Sport 2 Door
3.6L, 6 Spd Manual, 3.73 gears, ACE Rock Rails, Maximus-3 Bumper Bar, KC HiLiTES 124 SlimLites, AEV 2" spacer lift, Duratrac 285/70R17s, 17x9 XD Addicts, AEV ProCal, 35% window tint, AntennaX.
Osage Orange is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-12-2012, 07:48 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Lancaster
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjeeper10 View Post
$1500 cheaper... So... $3500 ish?

Install looks like it would be easier also.
I was quoting retail prices on both... Sprintex $4,000..... Ripp $5,500 w/intercooler. $1,500 difference in price.

Install looks way more simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osage Orange View Post
A directly mounted twin screw design should leave you with more space to play with under the hood than an externally mounted design, not to mention more structurally sound. .....I wonder if there will be a Pentastar version available sometime?
yea,i agree....should be a lot more space....very cool and yes, much more structurally sound,,, i agree

I was told the 2012 ecu is encrypted and the coed has not been broken...and that is the problem.
pauldana is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-23-2012, 03:29 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Lancaster
Posts: 62
This is a direct cut and past from an email sent to me by Sprintex....::

Hi Paul, Thank you for your enquiry. Our US dealer is Boostec US. They will be able to supply the JK kit when available. www.boostecus.com info@boostecus.com Please let me know if you need further info. Regards Mark Ambrosius Sales Co-ordinator SPRINTEX SUPERCHARGERSSPRINTEX LIMITEDP: +61 8 9262 7277 M: 0426 257 621F: +61 8 9262 7288P: PO Box 3348, Malaga WA 6945E: marka@sprintex.com.auW: www.sprintex.com.au https://www.facebook.com/sprintex.superchargers sprintexautomotive's Channel - YouTube
pauldana is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-23-2012, 03:48 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
Tuggin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: NW, PA
Posts: 82
Very cool

Please keep us posted

Tom
Tuggin is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-23-2012, 03:56 PM   #9
008
Jeeper
 
008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 19
Interested to hear how you like it after having it a while. I blew a couple of 4.0 motors back in the 90s and constantly overheated the supercharger's bearings. Ended up just installing a V8, all done by Hesco Engineering. Things have changed since then on the supercharger technology front though.
__________________
BFG Rubicon JK
008 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-24-2012, 11:04 AM   #10
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Lancaster
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggin View Post
Please keep us posted

Tom
I will!!! 3-4 week out,,,

Quote:
Originally Posted by 008 View Post
Interested to hear how you like it after having it a while. I blew a couple of 4.0 motors back in the 90s and constantly overheated the supercharger's bearings. Ended up just installing a V8, all done by Hesco Engineering. Things have changed since then on the supercharger technology front though.
yea... my brother owned a 80's turbo 4 cylinder mustang... i think it was 4 turbos that went out before we just gave up and took it out...

things are much different now
pauldana is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-24-2012, 11:10 AM   #11
Jeeper
 
rics1997's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Bristol, Tn
Posts: 4,764
Subscribed .. Should be interesting. Looking forward to dynos

Do they provide a ECU update to compensate for the Supercharger? I assume they would because it would have to be done.
__________________
2010 Dark Charcoal Pearl Jeep Wrangler Sport S Automatic
4.88 Yukon w/Trac-Lok rear and Eaton ELocker Front - Synergy Gussets - B&M 70264 Trans Cooler
BDS 3" lift - BDS Fox 2.0 Racing Shocks
XHD front Bumper - Trektop NX - Goodyear MT/R w/Kevlar 35X12.5X15 on MB Chaos 5 Wheels - Thrush Turbo Muffler

Become a WranglerForum Supporting Member!
rics1997 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-24-2012, 11:42 AM   #12
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Lancaster
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by rics1997 View Post
Subscribed .. Should be interesting. Looking forward to dynos

Do they provide a ECU update to compensate for the Supercharger? I assume they would because it would have to be done.

Hypertech is doing all the ECU programming, CARB approval and tech support!!!
pauldana is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-24-2012, 12:25 PM   #13
MTH
Jeeper
 
MTH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 8,553
I participated in your thread over on JK-F and must say I'm excited to see your results. New products are always cool--particularly something "big" like this. Looks like it's just a few weeks off now, right? Will you be doing the install yourself? Are you planning dyno runs? Either way, definitely post up pics and give us a write-up on your results.
__________________
Mike
2010 JKU "Mountain" Edition
TeraFlex 2.5" Coil Lift : Old Man Emu Nitrocharger Shocks : 33x12.5R15 Goodyear DuraTracs : 15x8 Black Rock 909s : Other Stuff . . .
MTH is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-24-2012, 12:32 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Lancaster
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTH View Post
I participated in your thread over on JK-F and must say I'm excited to see your results. New products are always cool--particularly something "big" like this. Looks like it's just a few weeks off now, right? Will you be doing the install yourself? Are you planning dyno runs? Either way, definitely post up pics and give us a write-up on your results.
Thx!!!!! This will be my first sc install, but my two boys installed a edelbrock sc on there moms truck about a month ago....

But how hard can it be really? I have done dozens of full engine builds...

Yea.. Will do a dyno both before and after.... Along with a full write up with pictures of he install In all stages!!!

They told me by the end of march!!!!!!!

Woooohoooo!!!!
pauldana is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-24-2012, 12:35 PM   #15
Official WF thread de-railer
 
Mr. Sinister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Fair Hill, Maryland
Posts: 3,706
I like the looks of that unit. My one big question about the current blowers is why they went with a centrifugal design on a vehicle where you want that instant low end torque, and it's great to see someone finally offer this solution.
__________________
SO MUCH EXCITE!
Mr. Sinister is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-24-2012, 04:39 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
BigMikeVP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 105
i know im gonna get blasted for this but..... why put a supercharger on a jeep? to get through a trail faster? dont get me wrong, i had a twin screw on my old ford lightning and it was a blast, but i just dont see why in a jeep.
BigMikeVP is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-24-2012, 04:44 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
Dr Gonzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 117
What kind of HP gains are you expecting?
Dr Gonzo is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-24-2012, 10:44 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Lancaster
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sinister View Post
I like the looks of that unit. My one big question about the current blowers is why they went with a centrifugal design on a vehicle where you want that instant low end torque, and it's great to see someone finally offer this solution.
I agree with you 100% it looks professional and very cool, the difference between a kit and an OEM type of product imho. i hate my current throttle response.. and no, i do not want to change my rear and front gears...i think this will give me the best of both worlds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMikeVP View Post
i know im gonna get blasted for this but..... why put a supercharger on a jeep? to get through a trail faster? dont get me wrong, i had a twin screw on my old ford lightning and it was a blast, but i just dont see why in a jeep.
because, imho...at least for my JK, it is gutless...i would like to be able to really pass someone on the road if i want to in less than 5 minutes. and cross a busy intersection now... not 5 seconds into the intersection. i hate the lack of tq. and when i put on the lift and 36" i can only imagine... So, thats why for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Gonzo View Post
What kind of HP gains are you expecting?
Well, I guess its a matter of how much boost you put in... more boost more power..... that being said, I was told that if you ask for much more than 300hp from these engines they will blow..... i dont know... just what i heard.

But I would like 300tq and 325hp at the crank... 15% loss??? 255tq and 275hp at the wheels would be great for me.... and I would like to see increases in tq as low as 1000RPM .....


will i get this???? haven't the foggiest clue!!! lol but it would make me happy
pauldana is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-25-2012, 08:10 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
chris.george's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Mountain View, CA
Posts: 774
Your project looks awesome, I'm in.

I can't believe manufacturers still go to the trouble of encrypting anything, especially software. Sigh.
__________________
First, gather your facts; then, distort them at your leisure.
— Mark Twain
chris.george is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-25-2012, 08:36 PM   #20
Jeeper
 
Phobos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Koppel
Posts: 646
Can't wait!!!!
__________________
2008 Wrangler X
2004 Grand Cherokee Limited
1997 Grand Cherokee Larado (retired)
1999 Wrangler Sport (sold)

Ken
Phobos is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-25-2012, 08:43 PM   #21
Sponsoring Vendor
 
RIPPMODS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldana View Post
I was quoting retail prices on both... Sprintex $4,000..... Ripp $5,500 w/intercooler. $1,500 difference in price.

Install looks way more simple.



yea,i agree....should be a lot more space....very cool and yes, much more structurally sound,,, i agree

I was told the 2012 ecu is encrypted and the coed has not been broken...and that is the problem.

We're $5144.95 fully loaded Stage2 with an intercooler and sparkplugs... Your full kit at $3999.95 is not intercooled... which compares to our GEN2 Stage 1 - Which is $4199.95...

Our stage 1 is also designed specifically for Jeeps... and installs is 2-4 hours tops - People install our full stage 2 in 4-6...

BTW RIPP now has CARB Pending -

RIPPMODS is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-26-2012, 10:50 AM   #22
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Lancaster
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPPMODS View Post
We're $5144.95 fully loaded Stage2 with an intercooler and sparkplugs... Your full kit at $3999.95 is not intercooled... which compares to our GEN2 Stage 1 - Which is $4199.95...

Our stage 1 is also designed specifically for Jeeps... and installs is 2-4 hours tops - People install our full stage 2 in 4-6...

BTW RIPP now has CARB Pending -


Now YOU know you don't need an intercooler for a positive displacement twin screw Super charger like Sprintex, as the gas temps are way low.. And you DO know you need one for a Vortex type to even get close to the gas temps in the Sprintex.... So yes, you have to compare your system including the intercooler....

Also, from what i have been told, these WILL be CARB approved, ....not pending for no one knows how long....

Also the prices i gave were full retail for both ripp and Sprintex... i am sure you will be able to find the Sprintex somewhere from some distributor for less...thus the $1500 difference....

AND.... BTW.... I am no longer debating the differences between ANY kit....

I am very sure you have a great product... I just am not interested in it. I dont want a "kit" I want something that is made just for my JK, and that is a Sprintex for me

This is one of my build threads.... for my Sprintex that i have ordered... that will be here in ~3 weeks!!!!!!


So... i will give updates and pictures as i get them!!!
pauldana is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-26-2012, 10:52 AM   #23
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Lancaster
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris.george View Post
Your project looks awesome, I'm in.

I can't believe manufacturers still go to the trouble of encrypting anything, especially software. Sigh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobos View Post
Can't wait!!!!
THX guys for the enthusiasm!!
pauldana is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-26-2012, 11:08 AM   #24
MallCrawler

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 34,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldana

Now YOU know you don't need an intercooler for a positive displacement twin screw Super charger like Sprintex, as the gas temps are way low.. And you DO know you need one for a Vortex type to even get close to the gas temps in the Sprintex.... So yes, you have to compare your system including the intercooler....

Also, from what i have been told, these WILL be CARB approved, ....not pending for no one knows how long....

Also the prices i gave were full retail for both ripp and Sprintex... i am sure you will be able to find the Sprintex somewhere from some distributor for less...thus the $1500 difference....

AND.... BTW.... I am no longer debating the differences between ANY kit....

I am very sure you have a great product... I just am not interested in it. I dont want a "kit" I want something that is made just for my JK, and that is a Sprintex for me

This is one of my build threads.... for my Sprintex that i have ordered... that will be here in ~3 weeks!!!!!!

So... i will give updates and pictures as i get them!!!


This forum including myself patiently awaits

What do you mean by "made just for my JK" ?
The design will not work in any other vehicle?
Excuse me for I know squat about SC's
__________________
2007 Rubicon/Rock Krawler triple rate 2.5" coils/RK rear TB w/ a teraflex raised bracket/Rancho 9000 31/32XL shocks/Synergy flipped draglink,ball joints,tie rod /Hankook MT 315-75-16 on Level 8 ZX's/Rancho geo brackets/Ruff stuff uppers/Fox ATS stabilizer/Adams front DS/Artec front armor w/ Currie upper bushings/Rancho cat back exhaust.

Lifting your JK? Read this!!



Click HERE to become a WranglerForum Supporting Member!
kjeeper10 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-28-2012, 10:02 AM   #25
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Lancaster
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjeeper10 View Post


This forum including myself patiently awaits

What do you mean by "made just for my JK" ?
The design will not work in any other vehicle?
Excuse me for I know squat about SC's

Nope.... This unit is not a "KIT" of put together parts like all the others. It was made exclusively for the Jeep JK.... look at the first post with picture... you can see, its just for us.!!
pauldana is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-28-2012, 10:10 AM   #26
Official WF thread de-railer
 
Mr. Sinister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Fair Hill, Maryland
Posts: 3,706
You're not in Lancaster, PA by any chance, are you? I'm about 40 minutes south of you. I'd love to see this in person when it's done, or maybe even help with the install.
__________________
SO MUCH EXCITE!
Mr. Sinister is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-28-2012, 10:12 AM   #27
MallCrawler

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 34,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sinister
You're not in Lancaster, PA by any chance, are you? I'm about 40 minutes south of you. I'd love to see this in person when it's done, or maybe even help with the install.
Lucky you
__________________
2007 Rubicon/Rock Krawler triple rate 2.5" coils/RK rear TB w/ a teraflex raised bracket/Rancho 9000 31/32XL shocks/Synergy flipped draglink,ball joints,tie rod /Hankook MT 315-75-16 on Level 8 ZX's/Rancho geo brackets/Ruff stuff uppers/Fox ATS stabilizer/Adams front DS/Artec front armor w/ Currie upper bushings/Rancho cat back exhaust.

Lifting your JK? Read this!!



Click HERE to become a WranglerForum Supporting Member!
kjeeper10 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-28-2012, 10:14 AM   #28
Official WF thread de-railer
 
Mr. Sinister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Fair Hill, Maryland
Posts: 3,706
Should it be the same Lancaster.
__________________
SO MUCH EXCITE!
Mr. Sinister is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-28-2012, 10:16 AM   #29
Custom JEEP Decals
 
TJe0454's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: MD
Posts: 1,478
you should get sprintex to give you a discount for doing a writeup on it. im sure they stand to gain from the review
__________________
I brake for humans.
Maryland Flag JEEP Stickers!!

My 3/4 link build
TJe0454 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-28-2012, 11:00 AM   #30
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Lancaster
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sinister View Post
You're not in Lancaster, PA by any chance, are you? I'm about 40 minutes south of you. I'd love to see this in person when it's done, or maybe even help with the install.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjeeper10 View Post
Lucky you
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sinister View Post
Should it be the same Lancaster.
LANCASTER CALIFORNIA!!!! 60 miles north of LA

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJe0454 View Post
you should get sprintex to give you a discount for doing a writeup on it. im sure they stand to gain from the review
Never though of that... guess its a little to late now though... They know i want one of the first ones bad, sent a down $$ to boosttech people... and I'm biting at the bit!

pauldana is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to Multi-Quote Scout Off-Topic 27 02-16-2012 03:47 PM
Newbie to forum needs help diagnosing steering issue RockyWrangler98 TJ General Discussion Forum 10 06-05-2011 08:03 PM



» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:29 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC