It doesn't seem like I got a lot done over the past two weeks, but tearing down both axles and refinished all the stock parts is extremely time consuming. I plan on dropping the 14 bolt off at a machine shop this week to have it cut down for the shave kit. Everything else is ready for installation, which I will start next week. I did get my tires mounted on the headlocks, which is another small project that takes a long time.
Doing a 3/4 ton Chevy front conversion to the Ford axle and disc brakes in the rear as well using El Dorado calipers, which have a built in e-brake provision.
Alright, Ive been researching the 14b past week and was looking for an effective disc brake option that used something besides the eldorado calipers, but sadly I couldn't find a better alternative. Love to see how your build is going, I have a 14b and 60 up front planned for the future!
My day job has me extremely busy, so this build has been slow moving. The good news is that it's given me a lot of time to look up other builds and I have actually changed my design a little bit. Decided to go a little longer 115-116" and plan on doing a custom dash with a billet steering column.
Been working on the axles, gears, body, dash, electrical and the engine. For now, I am running the stock 4.0, standard trans and transfer case, so I cleaned up the engine, and replaced the rear main seal, valve cover seal and cleaned up the harnesses. I plan on ordering DOM components to build my frame side 4 link mounts this week.
1979 Ford F350 front HP D60 kingpin axle 538 gears with Detroit locker
Here is the ride height at 19" frame ground clearance.
Making slow progress... I cut the frame off at the front just past the motor mounts and the rear where the frame rises for axle clearance. The tub was cut out behind the wheel wells, just in case someone wants to build an expedition trailer.
I have the boat sides in place, the body welded to the frame and the seat mounts in place. The way the mounts are, I can drill extra holes to move the drivers seat forward or back and will most likely fix mount the passenger side. Height-wise, they are about 1.5" higher than stock, which is great, because I always felt the stock height was a bit too low.
Also decided to drop in an LS1 from a 2004 GTO, so it looks like I'm stepping to to a Jimmy's 4x4 prepared TH400 with an 3.8:1 Atlas II. The cool thing about this engine / transmission combo is that it is so simple. The '04 GTO was the last year of the LS1. It is pre-emissions and uses a drive by cable throttle body, so it should be easier to install than most. I am planning on building a custom dash and having a stand alone harness made to reduce wiring headaches.