Project Nessie....A TJ that needs a Next Step. - Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Build Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 03-26-2014, 11:30 AM   #1
Jeeper
 
NYGLT56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 366
Project Nessie....A TJ that needs a Next Step.

Hello WF! Ive been a long time JF Member and decided I'd come here and delight you all with my build.

Here she is. Stock, 2003 Sahara with a D44 rear and 3.73 gears.



Got some 31s





Decided on a Lift. The RC 2.5 Coil + 1"BL



__________________
"Courage Is Grace Under Pressure"- Ernest Hemingway

NYGLT56 is offline   Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 11:39 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
NYGLT56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 366
Stepped up to 35s (and the dreaded Angry eyes, my teenage years..)




Xenon flat flares.




Smittybuild goodness, and ORFab Tire Carrier.







Along the lines I picked up ORO Lite Dots and a winch, and I actually wheeled like this for awhile.







__________________
"Courage Is Grace Under Pressure"- Ernest Hemingway

NYGLT56 is offline   Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 11:43 AM   #3
Jeeper
 
NYGLT56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 366
Metal Cloaks went on, and traded the 35" bfgs for 35" old style MTR with some beadlocks. Also traded the SRC for the XRC stinger.







__________________
"Courage Is Grace Under Pressure"- Ernest Hemingway

NYGLT56 is offline   Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 11:50 AM   #4
Jeeper
 
NYGLT56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 366
At this point I thought id be set with 35s. Got rid of the smitty built stuff. MC Front Bumpers, Bilstein 5100s and out boarded and extended to use the 12" shock.






Metal Cloak Rears.




__________________
"Courage Is Grace Under Pressure"- Ernest Hemingway

NYGLT56 is offline   Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 11:58 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
NYGLT56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 366
Got rid of the Angry eyes. Bought Grill light guards, UCF UHC Skid.




Got 37s and a HP30 and polished that turd up.







Got the MC Rockers and fox 14" Shocks.








__________________
"Courage Is Grace Under Pressure"- Ernest Hemingway

NYGLT56 is offline   Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 12:00 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
NYGLT56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 366



Some Moab Shots..



__________________
"Courage Is Grace Under Pressure"- Ernest Hemingway

NYGLT56 is offline   Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 12:03 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
NYGLT56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 366
And finally the final stage. Picked up fully built Rubi JK44s, Fox Coilovers, Fox 2.5 Bumps, TNT tire Carrier, Rokmen GTS, Fox 2.0 Resis rear and she's back on the Stock Coils and a Rampage top.





__________________
"Courage Is Grace Under Pressure"- Ernest Hemingway

NYGLT56 is offline   Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 12:06 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
NYGLT56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 366

DSC08854 by armyalibaba, on Flickr

Picked up An ORO SwayLoc


DSC08792 by armyalibaba, on Flickr

DSC08784 by armyalibaba, on Flickr

DSC08754 by armyalibaba, on Flickr

DSC08757 by armyalibaba, on Flickr

DSC08744 by armyalibaba, on Flickr
__________________
"Courage Is Grace Under Pressure"- Ernest Hemingway

NYGLT56 is offline   Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 12:07 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
NYGLT56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 366

DSC08818 by armyalibaba, on Flickr

DSC08835 by armyalibaba, on Flickr

DSC08845 by armyalibaba, on Flickr

DSC08863 by armyalibaba, on Flickr

DSC08865 by armyalibaba, on Flickr
__________________
"Courage Is Grace Under Pressure"- Ernest Hemingway

NYGLT56 is offline   Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 12:08 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
NYGLT56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 366
New Measurements;

71" to windshield
18.75" to frame
18.50" to belly

Im contemplating 40s or forced induction next. If 40s a 3 Link and 4link with maybe 1" stretch to clear.

thanks for stopping by Enjoy :wave:
__________________
"Courage Is Grace Under Pressure"- Ernest Hemingway

NYGLT56 is offline   Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 03:03 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
EatTacoCatTea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Richmond, TX
Posts: 2,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGLT56 View Post
New Measurements;

71" to windshield
18.75" to frame
18.50" to belly

Im contemplating 40s or forced induction next. If 40s a 3 Link and 4link with maybe 1" stretch to clear.

thanks for stopping by Enjoy :wave:
Excuse my ignorance but do you mean 40 inch tires!?!? Also do you have any other plans for your build?
__________________
A kid and his Jeep looking for fun
EatTacoCatTea is offline   Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 03:37 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
NYGLT56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by EatTacoCatTea View Post
Excuse my ignorance but do you mean 40 inch tires!?!? Also do you have any other plans for your build?
Yeah. Hahaha. If 40s did happen, it would need to be stretched. At least 98-99" wb on coilovers of course. With a 4 link.

And outside of what I've got. Not really. Small cosmetics maybe. But she does exceptionally well. There are other upgrades/parts that are on her that I failed to mention also.

40s came to the discussion after I encountered a one line obstacle that will swallow up a 37. 2 rigs. Including myself failed because of the lack of tire. (Ridiculous. I know) and obviously the ones with 40s got up while we winched.

Forced induction because. Well. That one really doesn't have a reason. It would be cool to build a turbo on a 4.0L I guess.
__________________
"Courage Is Grace Under Pressure"- Ernest Hemingway

NYGLT56 is offline   Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 05:15 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
EatTacoCatTea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Richmond, TX
Posts: 2,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGLT56 View Post

40s came to the discussion after I encountered a one line obstacle that will swallow up a 37. 2 rigs. Including myself failed because of the lack of tire. (Ridiculous. I know) and obviously the ones with 40s got up while we winched.

Forced induction because. Well. That one really doesn't have a reason. It would be cool to build a turbo on a 4.0L I guess.
Man that would be alot tire. Well they do offer turbos for the 4.0 that put out some impressive numbers
__________________
A kid and his Jeep looking for fun
EatTacoCatTea is offline   Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 11:26 AM   #14
Jeeper
 
NYGLT56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 366
A cool b/a shot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1948063442.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	213.6 KB
ID:	923210   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2390656447.jpg
Views:	411
Size:	215.8 KB
ID:	923218  

__________________
"Courage Is Grace Under Pressure"- Ernest Hemingway

NYGLT56 is offline   Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 11:45 AM   #15
Jeeper
 
NYGLT56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by EatTacoCatTea View Post
Man that would be alot tire. Well they do offer turbos for the 4.0 that put out some impressive numbers
It is. Nothing the axles can't handle though. Jk rubis with 3.8s and minor axle upgrades are running 40s. And they're far heavier than my TJ.

And I've been reading on them. I want to do something to the motor.

There's a link for a 3.6 with a tranny for less than 3k that I may jump on. I would need a t-case. But there's a jk 241 for sale also. So I dont know hahaha
__________________
"Courage Is Grace Under Pressure"- Ernest Hemingway

NYGLT56 is offline   Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 12:06 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
EatTacoCatTea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Richmond, TX
Posts: 2,534
I would personally avoid a 3.6 and keep the 4.0. The 3.6 seriously lacks in torque and when you are off the road that's when it matters. If you are willing to buy a turbo, Ripp has some pretty good options
__________________
A kid and his Jeep looking for fun
EatTacoCatTea is offline   Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 01:57 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
NYGLT56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by EatTacoCatTea View Post
I would personally avoid a 3.6 and keep the 4.0. The 3.6 seriously lacks in torque and when you are off the road that's when it matters. If you are willing to buy a turbo, Ripp has some pretty good options
Haha I doubt that considering what I've seen the 3.6 do. Especially with 42s. All the while using half the weight. It would benefit a TJ greatly.

Why not a V8? Because it's far cheaper for similar performance.

And yeah, I've seen. It's just a question of price at this point. We'll see eventually.
__________________
"Courage Is Grace Under Pressure"- Ernest Hemingway

NYGLT56 is offline   Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 02:04 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
EatTacoCatTea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Richmond, TX
Posts: 2,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGLT56 View Post

Haha I doubt that considering what I've seen the 3.6 do. Especially with 42s. All the while using half the weight. It would benefit a TJ greatly.

Why not a V8? Because it's far cheaper for similar performance.

And yeah, I've seen. It's just a question of price at this point. We'll see eventually.
A V8 would be nice! Not exactly sure which one, maybe a hemi? If I had gotten a 4 banger instead of the 4.0 I would switch it out for the 4BT but that little thing is super heavy but well worth the performance it gives.
__________________
A kid and his Jeep looking for fun
EatTacoCatTea is offline   Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 02:59 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
rdock31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Peoria, IL
Posts: 315
Finally got a thread! Been following your build on insta for a little while.

... Go 40's haha
rdock31 is offline   Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 03:16 PM   #20
Jeeper
 
EatTacoCatTea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Richmond, TX
Posts: 2,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdock31 View Post
Finally got a thread! Been following your build on insta for a little while.

... Go 40's haha
What's it on insta. I would like to look at his whole build
__________________
A kid and his Jeep looking for fun
EatTacoCatTea is offline   Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 03:21 PM   #21
Jeeper
 
rdock31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Peoria, IL
Posts: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by EatTacoCatTea View Post
What's it on insta. I would like to look at his whole build
Well it's not really a build, just his personal account which has pics of his jeep and shows progress..
rdock31 is offline   Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 03:28 PM   #22
Jeeper
 
EatTacoCatTea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Richmond, TX
Posts: 2,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdock31 View Post

Well it's not really a build, just his personal account which has pics of his jeep and shows progress..
Oh well
__________________
A kid and his Jeep looking for fun
EatTacoCatTea is offline   Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 04:57 PM   #23
Jeeper
 
NYGLT56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdock31 View Post
Well it's not really a build, just his personal account which has pics of his jeep and shows progress..
Exactly haha. But yeah. I had one on jf. But now it's here and on a local off-road forum.
__________________
"Courage Is Grace Under Pressure"- Ernest Hemingway

NYGLT56 is offline   Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 05:04 PM   #24
Jeeper
 
NYGLT56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by EatTacoCatTea View Post
A V8 would be nice! Not exactly sure which one, maybe a hemi? If I had gotten a 4 banger instead of the 4.0 I would switch it out for the 4BT but that little thing is super heavy but well worth the performance it gives.
4bt is also super expensive. Haha.
LS is the more reliable of the v8 bunch. So that's what I would do. Again. That's ~7k.

Which is why the 3.6 is the most reasonable.
__________________
"Courage Is Grace Under Pressure"- Ernest Hemingway

NYGLT56 is offline   Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 05:15 PM   #25
Jeeper
 
bobthetj03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Lake County, NorCal.
Posts: 1,865
I think the 37's look just right! I vote to stroke the 4.0 and go turbo.
bobthetj03 is offline   Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 07:15 PM   #26
Jeeper
 
EatTacoCatTea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Richmond, TX
Posts: 2,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGLT56 View Post

4bt is also super expensive. Haha.
LS is the more reliable of the v8 bunch. So that's what I would do. Again. That's ~7k.

Which is why the 3.6 is the most reasonable.
Im just very biased against the 3.6. Anyone know of a wrecked viper we could borrow?
__________________
A kid and his Jeep looking for fun
EatTacoCatTea is offline   Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 11:39 PM   #27
Jeeper
 
NYGLT56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 366
Small update. I finally have OBA. The ARB locker pump. It powers my SwayLoc and helps fill up the tires.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2438858144.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	145.1 KB
ID:	934298  
__________________
"Courage Is Grace Under Pressure"- Ernest Hemingway

NYGLT56 is offline   Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 11:55 PM   #28
Jeeper
 
rdock31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Peoria, IL
Posts: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGLT56 View Post
Small update. I finally have OBA. The ARB locker pump. It powers my SwayLoc and helps fill up the tires.
How do you like the sway lock? Debating between that or antirock.
rdock31 is offline   Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 11:59 PM   #29
Jeeper
 
NYGLT56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdock31 View Post
How do you like the sway lock? Debating between that or antirock.
It's amazing. A factory sway bar when not engaged. Anti rock when it is.
__________________
"Courage Is Grace Under Pressure"- Ernest Hemingway

NYGLT56 is offline   Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 12:01 AM   #30
Jeeper
 
TJspeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 3,501
Whats going on Ali?! Bout time you come over to WF. Jeep is lookin good. I finally got the UCF UHC skid and DC drive shaft put on.

__________________
2000 solar yellow 4.0 sport 3" BDS, 1.25" JKS body lift, 1" Zone motor lift, JKS quicker disconnects, 33x10.5 BFG KM2 on black american racing wheels. D44 rear.

TJspeed is online now   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:49 PM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2015 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC