You look like you are having way too much fun. I thought 31's where as big as I could go w/ my 2.5L and factory axles, but you are tearin' it up. That park looks fricken awesome. Your side armor looks very nice.
yeah i trust my front axle, the rear however i have my doubts. I am pretty easy on the gas and use control instead of bombing up things. I think with the rear still open diff i would be good like this for a while. I do however want to lock it so an 8.8 is in the near future
Made some tube fenders today. Pretty simple but still took a while to get the cuts done. They are not finished. The side and the top will be skinned with 3/16 and welded and blended in to look like a solid peice.
I wanted to keep the inner fender so i did them this way.
Dude those are very Nice!!! Great Job!! Keep the pics and build stuff coming, my Favorite build thread from a DIY person on a budget, love it
Originally Posted by yj95wrangler
BTW, is that your Hardtop that youve cut and put over the front seat area?
My hardtop is 2 peice. That front part comes off for some reason. It is held on with some clips. I guess so you can leave the back half on and take it off and have like a targa top thing. It was getting a little too warm with no shade up there so i just stuck the front part on as a temp fix and its been on there a while now lol.
bought a "broken" 2hp oiled compressor off craigslist with dual 2g tanks for 40 bucks.
Cut the tanks off and split them up. used a tank, the regulator, gauge, and water seperator and stuck em in and hooked em to the york.
Pulled compressor head off and found the reed valves were sideways, put em back in place and now compressor works awesome. So made a bracket off my 20g garage tank and stuck that on there. It is a ton better than my old setup.
I was actually able to fit all my crap and had some room left over. I think I am gonna make a little trailer for quads, and to fit stuff on there instead.
One thing that happened on this trip is halfway in the loon side I got out to look around and looked at the front end for some reason and saw that one of he u joint caps on the driver side axle was halfway out of the ear. Looks like the snap ring fell out. I haven't done the full circle clips yet. So I puled the shaft out and took a keyring and cut it into a half circle and put it back together. Worked like a charm and I was able to wheel into lil sluice and back without an issue.
Also helped a guy that broke chromoly shaft in his locked d35 rear on just 33s. Found him at around 330pm he had been out there since 9am. He couldnt get the c clip off the broken stub or get the locker out. So i got that out for him in a few mins and watched him do other things the hard way before we left. He wasn't the smartest
Here is my Rubicon trail fix.
Stock clip on left, modified cut keyring on right.
Pulled the axles and ground out the yokes to fit full circle snaprings. So should no longer be an issue.
Went to Prairie city on thursday with the family. Just went up a few things, nothing major at all. Noticed pulling in driveway the jeep wanted to push forward isntead of turn, then a loud pop. thought maybe it was leafs moving around.
Did it next day on way to work, and i could get it to do it by turning left hard under power.
So i pulled the rear cover off and found these bits of joy.
Cleaned up carrier while getting ready to stick new spiders in and found this.
I have a spare d35 carrier that i got the spiders from. apparently i could get lucky and reuse stock shims and hope that backlash ends up less than .009 on the new carrier. I also would need new bearings.
I do not want to spend any more cash on this POS axle. So i put it all back together. No more wheeling for me untill i get something new. Im pissed.
Jeep will just take me to work a couple times a week and thats it.
Dan hooked me up with a non disco d30 housing with 4.10 gears. So the plan is to find a 4.10 geared 8.8 to swap in and run till i can afford and build up what i want to shove under it, while still being able to wheel hard.
Decided since it was on the bench to make up some Inner C gussets. The stock Cs look stupidly small and ready to bend. So whipped these up.
Made a run to signal peak/fordyce
Got about halfway through signal peak and somehow got wayyyyyyyy off trail. Had to Aetna buggy up some sketchy as hell icy dirt hillclimb and sidehill on a mountainside with runoff. So we turned back around and decided to hit fordyce for the rest of our time. Made it almost all the way to the first water crossing and then turned around because we ran out of time.
Only big obsticle was Driveline hill, and I was able to take the right side line with some throttle and made it up. Was happy about that. All in all was a fun time. Cant wait to get my 8.8 in and head back up.
Made some new motor mounts. Poly bushings and about 1 3/8 lift over stock. Now that these are done i am going to redo the tranny mount and raise it till i can get a flat skid. need to clearance out a support under the bottom for the tcase, and then shouldhave plenty of room.
Developed a leak in my gastank. Fixed it, and then it leaked from somewere else. I picked up a new one and pulled the old one tonight. It looks like someone smeared a big tub of bondo all over it to patch a leak :haha:
I decided since i had the tank and skid out to do a nice little mod. Cut up my stock skid and did some fliparoo action. added a little to the sides to keep the tank happy and then got out the rachet straps and the torch and heated the tank up and racheted down. Let it cool, pulled it out and did it a few more times untill a nice dimple had pressed into the tank and let it sit back flush.
I should be able to stretch the rear about 4in now with the 8.8 without an issue.
Just got the tank in. Clearance shot with the d35. the 8.8 takes up a little more room, but I have a ton of space there.