Finished my trans mount and raised the drivetrain allllllll the way up to get it flat with the frame. had to cut a small section of the tub reinforcement that hit the t case, enlarge the shifter hole up top, and beat the section near the end of the tranny hump to clear the driveshaft.
I did a quick fix on the exhaust because i wanted to drive it today. i am going to re route it under the oilpan and around so i can do the skid and incorporate a skid over the oilpan.
Awesome build/thread man! I just bought a Jeep identical to yours and this gives me a good start on my build! Just wish mine was as clean as yours, MI and IA winters have taken their toll on my Ol girl. Anyways keep up the pics and build man! Do you ever plan a motor swap?
Recently sold my geared axles for ease of swapping the 8.8 in. got the 4.10 geared d30 in and the 8.8 in.
So front is all buttoned up. I just need to re-adjust my draglink and rotate the clamp for the tierod. It hits the springs at full droop. Lame. the stock perches were a lot taller wich i thought was stupid.... apparently this was for clearance on the springs lol.
Oh and figured out my driveshaft uses 1330 joints. So i can just get the plain explorer adapter flange. Kinda cool i got some extra beef. And my pinion is too high in these pics. I kinda just guessed and tacked the perches on when i set it in there and well i went a tad too high.
Oh and another note... My new phone takes awesome pictures.
Also forgot to update i sold my 33s, and bought 5 35x12.5x15 Super swamper SSRS for 350bucks with rims. spare is pretty much brand new as well. Put those on and jeep looks mucho better.
And been really busy with my dad on the Hayabusa sandrail. We are taking it on its maiden voyage on new years day to sand mountain. Fab is finally all done and now we just need to re assemble. I finished all the wiring tonight and we got all the parts painted.
Finally got around to building one. Its 3/16 with 1x1 1/8 wall angle iron. I used some 3/16 flatbar for small spacers to make up for the factory nutserts sticking down below the frame and to give a little more room around the tranny crossmember bolts. Should be pretty stout.
So as a few of you know, I am putting xj rear leaves in the back of my jeep flipped around to stretch the wheelbase 6in. I was going to move my front hangars around, and redrill my perches to only get 3-4 in and keep the gas tank in its location. But that is no fun... right :haha:
So I did this.
At this point my wife came outside to see what all the racket was and Was doubting what I was doing and asked why I was ruining my jeep lol.
test fitting my spare tank.
I moved my rear seat all the way up so the rear holes on the bracket were in the front holes in the tub and it looks like i can split the difference and gain some more leg room.
Now i just need to grab a TJ style filler neck and make it on the driver side and make a removable cover for the tank and Its finished.
Now I have plenty of room to stick that axle back. Oh also If you didnt notice, I cut the stock rear crossmember off and welded in a piece of 1.5x4 .250 wall. The sides will have fishplates, and that is what i will mount my rear hangars onto.
That came out pretty nice.
Hard to tell from the pics, how much space did you gain?
Did you reuse the stock skid plate?
I will take some pics when i change it up again. Basically i used the rear boxed section of the tub that goes across under the tailgate as a support. It is nice and flat. I just drilled some holes in some 1x2 box tube i had and welded those flat to the flat part of the tub. The back of the stock skid bolts to this and the lip of it is supported as well. The front i welded some angle iron to the front of the skid and it bolts to the front of the tub right at the hole i cut.
So the skid is the cradle and is bolted to the tub, and the tank is attached to the skid like it is stock, with the 2 straps.
Xj rear springs are in. Axle is wayyyyyy back. Tires are almost flush with back of tub.
thinking im gonna shorten the rear shackle an inch or so to bring it down a little, but the spare tire and hilift are not on there so that may bring it level as is.
I tryed to keep as much as i could in the back to make it looks less agressive to appease johnny law. We will see how that goes.
Just drove it around. It drives a TON better with the added wheelbase. That made more of a difference than i thought it would. No more rocking front to back and up and down when i go over bumps.
It does sway like a mother around turns, but I like that. :haha:
Springs are settling a little too it seems. Some poser shots. I need to extend my brake hardline about a foot back because right now it is just enough to let me drive around or just drop my pass tire.
And My springs like it, because they are smiling.
From what I have read the XJ springs have no issues going into negative arch. That was about an inch or so from full bump, I will be making a bumpstop to help em out a little, as well as keep the tires out of the tops of my fenders.