Wow, it's been awhile since I have updated. I will try to give a quick run down and what I've done and what I have left. If I can remember everything, haha.
I got most all of the truck engine disconnected but didn't want to pull it yet until I had the other engine out of the Jeep. So I moved over to the jeep and started to disassemble it.
With the help of my neighbor's cherry picker, I pulled the engine.
I then took apart the trans and the engine because I had sold the trans to someone for $200. I want to keep the engine until I get everything working with the 4.3.
While the engine was out I wanted to change my power steering gearbox since it had a little play and it was right there easy to get to. So I took off the old one and put a re-man one in. FYI, getting the pitman arm off is not fun!
I also then cut off the original motor mounts and cleaned up the area to get it ready for the Advanced Adapter motor mounts. I will try to get some pics of the motor mounts installed soon.
I then pulled the entire drive train out of the Chevy and de-greased it a couple times.
I then noticed that on the output shaft of the chevy transfer case was making a clicking noise. I decided to take it apart to see what it was. Turns out it was just a bolt that was 1/8" too long that the PO must have replaced that was hitting the chain. Put it back together and everything was fine. I did NOT swap the back of the case with the Jeep case. The output shaft on the transfer case works fine with the Jeep rear drive shaft. I'm not planning on going higher than the 2.5" lift for the time being so I do not need a SYE (Slip Yoke Eliminator). However, I am going to keep the Jeep transfer case for the time being just in case I do get the itch to go bigger.
I put the transfer case back on as well as the motor mounts. I then took it and test mounted it in the Jeep.
I got the motor location figured out by placing the rear output shaft on the transfer case in the exact same location that the Jeep transfer case was. This way I am able to use the rear original Jeep drive shaft (The front drive shaft worked as well). I then modified the skid plate so that the chevy transmission rubber mount would bolt up to it (Need to take pictures of this).
I then worked on getting a radiator bracket made up to hold the chevy radiator. We use extruded aluminum at my work and we had some in the scrap bin, so I used some of it to make a bracket. The nice thing about the extruded aluminum is that with the slots you can easily change the height of where you want it.
I will probably redo this in the future when I go with an electric fan, but this will work for now.
I also then hooked up the Radiator hoses, fuel lines, power steering lines, and transmission cooling lines.
I then made a bracket (extruded aluminum again) for the B&M Sport shifter. I used the Chevy transfer case shifter. I also hooked up the linkage to the transmission; shifts good.
I then worked on getting the ECM mounted and wired in. I've seen other posts were people mounted the ECM in the glove box, I liked the idea of keeping it inside the cab but I didn't want to lose any storage space. So I mounted mine inside the cab on the passenger side wall, up next to heater damper. It's tucked up nice and out of the way. I also installed the DRAC unit and the ALDL connector in the cab underneath the dash.
This is were I drilled a hole for all the wires that go to the ECM to go through on the firewall.
I then dropped the gas tank and removed the Jeep fuel pump and replaced it with one that was made for the Chevy truck. My original thinking was that I wouldn't have to do this since I read somewhere that the Jeep pump puts out 40-60psi and that even though the Chevy TBI runs at 9-14psi it has it's own regulator that would still allow it to work. However, I've read elsewhere that it's too much pressure and that the regulator will not reduce the pressure down that much. So without risking anything I decided to drop the tank and install the Chevy pump. It wasn't that hard, just had to splice in the wires and cut the tubing shorter so that the taller pump would fit. Unfortunately I forgot to take pics before I put the sending unit back in the tank.
Right now I'm working on the electrical. I should be able to fire it up soon. I have all the ignition circuits figured out as well as the fuel pump relay. I need to figure out the brake switch and how it hooks up the TCC switch. Should be working on that tonight. I signed up to the website alldatadiy.com for both vehicles and it was the best $40 spent on this entire project.
I haven't had time to add up what I have spent, but I know it hasn't been that much. (Under $500)
I will try to keep it updated better, just hard to find the time. If anyone has any questions or wants me to take a picture of anything, please let me know. And if you see anything I'm doing wrong please let me know