Help!!!! Is it possible to put a vette engine in my yj - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > YJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > YJ Build Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 08-15-2014, 09:50 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
Jeep nation 62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 98
Help!!!! Is it possible to put a vette engine in my yj

I'm looking into a vette LS1 or a 350.
I have researched about the 350 that is a perfect fit and easy but it would be awesome to have a vette engine under my hood. I will appreciate all the info you guys will give me. Thanks

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2711307468.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	188.4 KB
ID:	1396322

I would love to change this junk for something nice

Jeep nation 62 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-15-2014, 10:42 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
charleybrwn13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: McKenzie, TN
Posts: 394
Yes, it's possible.

Some reading for you:

90 YJ LS1 Swap - JeepForum.com

charleybrwn13 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-15-2014, 11:07 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
Jeep nation 62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 98
Thanks man . Perfect
Jeep nation 62 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-18-2014, 09:31 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 291
Check out the Novak website for conversion information to all varieties of engines and transmissions.
WICruiser is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-18-2014, 10:18 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Long Island NY
Posts: 373
Best of Luck!! (not being sarcastic). It can be done, I have helped a buddy with a build a while back. However it was a carb engine,no computers and sensors to deal with.Pcm's..ecm's..bcm's..tcm's are a great thing when You understand them..Hope You go ahead with the project.
66fordman is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-19-2014, 12:25 AM   #6
Jeeper
 
Jeep nation 62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 98
Thanks guys for the info. Quick question how much would it cost to buy the engine and transmission? And I have seen when they change to a vette engine the also put new axles,would I have to do that and will the 4wd work with the vette transmission.
Jeep nation 62 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-19-2014, 08:50 AM   #7
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Washington, PA
Posts: 308
Anything is possible. However, the Dana 35 rear axle will not like the horsepower of a 350 vette engine. I would also recommend that you do not use the transmission from the vette. Look at a 700 r4 for an auto or an nv4500 for a manual. I am not sure why you are set on a "vette" engine. Any 350 will do.
brachilius is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-19-2014, 09:39 AM   #8
Jeeper
 
charleybrwn13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: McKenzie, TN
Posts: 394
A friend of mine bought a wrecked 2000 Trans Am with an LS1 from an online auction for $1900. He striped it of the motor, trans, AC and some interior; put all of it in his Iroc. He sold the remaining Trans Am parts that he could, scraped the rest for a total of $2600, so he made $700 after he got the parts he wanted.
charleybrwn13 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-19-2014, 11:12 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
Jeep nation 62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 98
Thanks for the information I will use it to good use. I know I can just put a 350 in it but if I'm going to change my engine I would might as well put a vette in it, it will have a more bad ass factor to my jeep. Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2808481968.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	187.0 KB
ID:	1408666 If I'd do put a vette engine in my jeep will I still be able to connect my snorkel to the vette air intake, even if I modify it with PVC


Disregard the last photo the one without the snorkel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-153427450.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	157.5 KB
ID:	1408658  
Jeep nation 62 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-19-2014, 11:28 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
0III0forlife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ridgway, Pa.
Posts: 3,589
Images: 6
You don't want the "vette" trans, no way to hook a transfer case to it. Like it was said above, a 700R4 for an automatic, and an NV4500 for a standard.

And yes you will have to swap the axles in it to something beefier. I am assuming that since you made the statement of your Jeep having a "more bad ass factor" to it, you plan on using the horsepower that the LS1 has in it, And if you do that the axles that you have under it now will not last very long.

I wish you well with the swap. I have done a few with a standard SBC 350 carbureted. and although its a great mod, it isn't as easy as everybody thinks. Getting all of the measurements exact to weld the towers on the frame was the hardest part. Making sure and triple checking so that everything lines up correctly.
__________________
'87 YJ, 4.2L built and bored, 8.5" of lift, 8.8 rear, AX15/NP 231, Tom Woods drive shafts, Flat fenders, 12,000LB winch, Custom bumpers, Rattle can paint job. Never completed...
0III0forlife is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-20-2014, 12:26 AM   #11
Jeeper
 
Jeep nation 62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0III0forlife View Post
You don't want the "vette" trans, no way to hook a transfer case to it. Like it was said above, a 700R4 for an automatic, and an NV4500 for a standard. And yes you will have to swap the axles in it to something beefier. I am assuming that since you made the statement of your Jeep having a "more bad ass factor" to it, you plan on using the horsepower that the LS1 has in it, And if you do that the axles that you have under it now will not last very long. I wish you well with the swap. I have done a few with a standard SBC 350 carbureted. and although its a great mod, it isn't as easy as everybody thinks. Getting all of the measurements exact to weld the towers on the frame was the hardest part. Making sure and triple checking so that everything lines up correctly.

Thank man it's something to look more into detail. I have to now look into getting an explorer 4.10 gear ratio axle for the rear. Crap the list keeps growing but that's one of the down falls of having a jeep the$$$ but it's a great hobby which I love.
Jeep nation 62 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-20-2014, 11:49 AM   #12
Build em Big...

WF Supporting Member
 
Monster93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: South Florida
Posts: 558
Images: 3
The best thing about our Yj's is you can never run out of things to do! Deep pockets is the key. Lol. Good luck with the build, that should be a fun project.
__________________
Monster 93 Build Thread


1993 YJ. 6" BDS 38's
2010 Rubicon 5.5 Rock Krawler coilover 38's
2014 Dodge Ram sport 2" level 33's
Monster93 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-20-2014, 08:02 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tampa
Posts: 275
Just keep in mind, you can easily build more HP with the 350 than a stock Corvette engine has. Plus, for many years, a 350 was in a Corvette, so you could tell people that you have a "Vette" engine in your YJ.
Yes, to do it right, get ready to spend a hell of a lot more than you think you'll be spending. Whatever number you come up with, double or triple it.
__________________
Almost there: '89 YJ with: 390 CID(6.4L) Dodge V8/727 auto/NP231, SOA+2", Hi steer D44 & 14 Bolt w/4.56's, Detroits, 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers
Copperhead is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-21-2014, 03:23 AM   #14
Newb
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 1
if your gonna be looking for a "vette" engine out of a corvett your gonna spend an arm and a leg just go pick up a vortec truck motor out of newer model silverados,tahoes,avalanches etc. you an get either a 4.8,5.3 or 6.0, there the same style ls1/ls6 just a little different to incorporate more torque and a little less popwer and can be easily found with pcm for under 1000 and you can throw a stock z06 cam in those motors and gain a good amount of hp.
chvypwr31 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-21-2014, 10:11 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
Jeep nation 62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperhead View Post
Just keep in mind, you can easily build more HP with the 350 than a stock Corvette engine has. Plus, for many years, a 350 was in a Corvette, so you could tell people that you have a "Vette" engine in your YJ. Yes, to do it right, get ready to spend a hell of a lot more than you think you'll be spending. Whatever number you come up with, double or triple it.
You make a good point I am leaning now towards a 350 thanks for your input.
Jeep nation 62 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-21-2014, 10:12 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
Jeep nation 62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by chvypwr31 View Post
if your gonna be looking for a "vette" engine out of a corvett your gonna spend an arm and a leg just go pick up a vortec truck motor out of newer model silverados,tahoes,avalanches etc. you an get either a 4.8,5.3 or 6.0, there the same style ls1/ls6 just a little different to incorporate more torque and a little less popwer and can be easily found with pcm for under 1000 and you can throw a stock z06 cam in those motors and gain a good amount of hp.

That's a great idea of getting a vortec I will look into it thanks for your input
Jeep nation 62 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-21-2014, 10:42 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 589
We have guy sporting a Viper engine here in Vegas..
__________________
Las Vegas
1995 YJ / New in 2013 Build Link
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f118/je...ld-333681.html
Jrozar is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-21-2014, 11:01 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
mikhail2400's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Jesup GA
Posts: 549
theres people putting LS motors in jeeps everywhere. theres even a website just for that which will help you find wiring harnesses, fuel pump issues and fixs, and everything in between. Matter of fact theres several threads on this forum with guys doing it right now. A little searching and a few PMs to the guys doing those swaps will drown you in info for what you want to do. Have Fun and like another poster said "double or triple your first estimate"
mikhail2400 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-22-2014, 12:09 AM   #19
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 589
So now you know it's possible when are you starting, do you have an engine in mind to purchase or a donor car? Im looking forward to the build...

So keep us in the know on the LS installation..I'm sure I'm not the only one looking forward to this build.

Why not do a turbo 4.7 stroker with some nice axles and coil suspension...that would be bad ass...
__________________
Las Vegas
1995 YJ / New in 2013 Build Link
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f118/je...ld-333681.html
Jrozar is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-22-2014, 12:32 AM   #20
Jeeper
 
Jeep nation 62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrozar View Post
So now you know it's possible when are you starting, do you have an engine in mind to purchase or a donor car? Im looking forward to the build... So keep us in the know on the LS installation..I'm sure I'm not the only one looking forward to this build. Why not do a turbo 4.7 stroker with some nice axles and coil suspension...that would be bad ass...
Well first of all I wanted to get as much information as I can of these engine I'm researching. so I can proceed with the engine that I want to go forward with, I'm only in high school but I have done so much to my yj. I can handle an engine and transmission and most likely a 4.10 axle for the rear. I know it will be pricey put I have already put about 9,000 in my jeep I will be up to the challenge just got to make the money first to do all that. I would love more horse power but for the right price.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2600055295.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	1414066  

Jeep nation 62 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:51 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC