Just order the Rocky Road Outfitters SPOA lift and OTT steer kit build thread. - Page 2 - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > YJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > YJ Build Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 06-14-2013, 06:54 AM   #31
Jeeper
 
indirocz28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Fort Hood/ BCS, TX
Posts: 1,050
What if you just used a smaller grade 8 or hardened bolt?

__________________
MY1990 "Little YJ" Build: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f8/brou...ay-242064.html
Come wheel with us at Brazos Valley Off Road Ranch! http://www.wranglerforum.com/f53/bra...tx-237657.html
indirocz28 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-17-2013, 08:38 AM   #32
Jeeper
 
Gothere's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 125
Images: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by indirocz28 View Post
What if you just used a smaller grade 8 or hardened bolt?

Thought of that, but being a steering component and I'm not an engineer I decided not to go that route...thats just me but.....

Gothere is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-17-2013, 08:46 AM   #33
Jeeper
 
Gothere's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 125
Images: 6
Thats is where I'm at with the OTT install right now, I have not installed the tie rods yet since I pulled both axles off for the lift I wanted to get the SOA kit installed next.
Gothere is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-17-2013, 09:16 AM   #34
Jeeper
 
Gothere's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 125
Images: 6
Started on the front axle SOA portion of this kit, had some help from a friend and unfortunately I didnt get alot of install photo's. The actual install of the front kit was ok, initally we had to figure out the parts as to how they actually went on. This is an area that RRO could improve in easily by updating their instruction. My biggest complaint on this kit and install so far is that the instructions are wordy and they could remedy this by just friggin adding more pictures and/or diagrams...easy...

Anyway here are some pictures of the front axle after the kit was installed...

Drivers side front...


Drivers side, and the shock extension bracket...


Underside of spring plate/skid plate...I do like that the bolts are recessed into the plate.


Shock extension bracket...


Passangers side...


So far the kit has been ok to install, I'm going about it alone mostly and that is making for some slow going. This project is becoming a monster with several aspects of it all combining to keep me busy. Not only am I putting on the kit, I'm installing a new clutch, (pulled the tranny), installing a SYE kit (pulled the T-case),putting on a tow bar, and a few other minor things. All good stuff though...
Gothere is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-17-2013, 09:52 AM   #35
Jeeper
 
indirocz28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Fort Hood/ BCS, TX
Posts: 1,050
MOAR PICTURES! lol

Seems like it is pretty well designed.

Are those brackets for use with the stock shocks, or did you get a set of longer travel aftermarket ones?
__________________
MY1990 "Little YJ" Build: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f8/brou...ay-242064.html
Come wheel with us at Brazos Valley Off Road Ranch! http://www.wranglerforum.com/f53/bra...tx-237657.html
indirocz28 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-18-2013, 01:45 AM   #36
Jeeper
 
Gothere's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 125
Images: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by indirocz28 View Post
MOAR PICTURES! lol

Seems like it is pretty well designed.

Are those brackets for use with the stock shocks, or did you get a set of longer travel aftermarket ones?
Still have to get some shocks, I will have to get longer travel shocks for this lift, RRO was out when I placed the order so instead of waiting on shocks I decided not to order from them then...still looking for a good set.
Gothere is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-18-2013, 09:05 AM   #37
Jeeper
 
indirocz28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Fort Hood/ BCS, TX
Posts: 1,050
I have had good luck with Rough Country's 2.0 series shocks. They are $38 each too!

Just order them for the 6" lift, and I think they will be good to go!
__________________
MY1990 "Little YJ" Build: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f8/brou...ay-242064.html
Come wheel with us at Brazos Valley Off Road Ranch! http://www.wranglerforum.com/f53/bra...tx-237657.html
indirocz28 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-19-2013, 12:18 AM   #38
Jeeper
 
307jrv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 627
I like the built in skid plate for the bolts, pretty clever idea on their part
307jrv is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-23-2013, 12:40 PM   #39
Jeeper
 
Gothere's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 125
Images: 6
Finally got to putting the rear axles on, project is taking forever due to my schedule. Here are some pic's of just the back brackets, and how they will line up on the axle.





All the hardware, I have to say, is fairly stout and built up.
Gothere is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-23-2013, 01:22 PM   #40
Jeeper
 
Gothere's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 125
Images: 6
The rear kit went on for the most part really well and could be done within a couple of hours. My only "glitch" was that the fittment on the saddle that went over the axle was too tight. I tried to coax it on using a hammer, when that didnt work I called RRO. RRO said basically that axle sizes will vary slightly from the original test axle in production. What I had to do was grind down the saddle to get a good fit over the axle...more grinding....





After grinding, the component fit nice and tight! Also notice how the saddle fits into the old perches as a support.

Gothere is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-23-2013, 01:30 PM   #41
Jeeper
 
Gothere's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 125
Images: 6
Final bolt up of the rear axle...




Next....re-attaching the brake lines, and adding the e-brake extension. Then back to the front to finish up on the OTT Steering links and stabilizer...
Gothere is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-23-2013, 02:30 PM   #42
Jeeper
 
indirocz28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Fort Hood/ BCS, TX
Posts: 1,050
Looks good so far, but what if you wanted to go to an 8.8 and ditch the D35??
__________________
MY1990 "Little YJ" Build: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f8/brou...ay-242064.html
Come wheel with us at Brazos Valley Off Road Ranch! http://www.wranglerforum.com/f53/bra...tx-237657.html
indirocz28 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-23-2013, 03:57 PM   #43
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
yj93ben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Black Diamond, WA
Posts: 678
Images: 10
Shock relocation bracket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothere View Post
Started on the front axle SOA portion of this kit, had some help from a friend and unfortunately I didnt get alot of install photo's. The actual install of the front kit was ok, initally we had to figure out the parts as to how they actually went on. This is an area that RRO could improve in easily by updating their instruction. My biggest complaint on this kit and install so far is that the instructions are wordy and they could remedy this by just friggin adding more pictures and/or diagrams...easy...

Anyway here are some pictures of the front axle after the kit was installed...

Drivers side front...


Drivers side, and the shock extension bracket...


Underside of spring plate/skid plate...I do like that the bolts are recessed into the plate.


Shock extension bracket...


Passangers side...


So far the kit has been ok to install, I'm going about it alone mostly and that is making for some slow going. This project is becoming a monster with several aspects of it all combining to keep me busy. Not only am I putting on the kit, I'm installing a new clutch, (pulled the tranny), installing a SYE kit (pulled the T-case),putting on a tow bar, and a few other minor things. All good stuff though...
I see your using there shock relocation bracket. Why? I bought the same kit a few year back. Hated every minute of it. The front went together fairly easy. I chose not to use the shock brackets in favor on a little longer shock.
__________________
Ero sum: aut viam inveniam aut faciam = I will either find a way or make one
yj93ben is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-23-2013, 04:07 PM   #44
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
yj93ben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Black Diamond, WA
Posts: 678
Images: 10
Grinding, Grinding and more Grinding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothere View Post
The rear kit went on for the most part really well and could be done within a couple of hours. My only "glitch" was that the fittment on the saddle that went over the axle was too tight. I tried to coax it on using a hammer, when that didnt work I called RRO. RRO said basically that axle sizes will vary slightly from the original test axle in production. What I had to do was grind down the saddle to get a good fit over the axle...more grinding....





After grinding, the component fit nice and tight! Also notice how the saddle fits into the old perches as a support.

I had the same problem, spring perches won't fit over the axle tubes. Contact RRO and they told me "I had odd ball axle tubes". They told me "if I didn't feel comfortable doing a little modification, maybe I shouldn't be working on my Jeep". I reminded them this is a "bolt-on kit" taunting no welding or modifications required.
__________________
Ero sum: aut viam inveniam aut faciam = I will either find a way or make one
yj93ben is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-23-2013, 04:10 PM   #45
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
yj93ben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Black Diamond, WA
Posts: 678
Images: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothere View Post
Final bolt up of the rear axle...




Next....re-attaching the brake lines, and adding the e-brake extension. Then back to the front to finish up on the OTT Steering links and stabilizer...
What are you doing for pinion angle correction? If anything?
__________________
Ero sum: aut viam inveniam aut faciam = I will either find a way or make one
yj93ben is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-23-2013, 04:11 PM   #46
Jeeper
 
Gothere's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 125
Images: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by indirocz28 View Post
Looks good so far, but what if you wanted to go to an 8.8 and ditch the D35??
Not really sure how that would pan out, guessing the 2 main headaches would be how the saddles would fit (diameter of 8.8 axle) and if simply just grinding those saddles out would be ok???

Also, if you notice that the old perches are used to seat the new saddle type perches, so that would be a consideration too, you would have too see where the perches on the 8.8 were and if the new saddle type perches would seat into them...
Gothere is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-23-2013, 04:38 PM   #47
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
yj93ben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Black Diamond, WA
Posts: 678
Images: 10
The Swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by indirocz28 View Post
Looks good so far, but what if you wanted to go to an 8.8 and ditch the D35??
I started with the same kit. Huge mistake. Cheaper to go buy perches and do it yourself. I went from the D35 to the Ford 8.8. Since I had to cut and weld the RRO rear perches to get any kind of pinion angle, they went away with the D35. Stripped the 8.8 tube bare, stuck it under the Jeep, centered the new perches with a tape measurer. Got my pinion angle, tack welded in place. Pulled and finish welding the perches. Took it out yesterday to Evans Creek ORV park to pre run. No driveline vibration and everything worked great. If you can't tell by my post, I have no love for RRO.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	006.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	229.7 KB
ID:	264849  
__________________
Ero sum: aut viam inveniam aut faciam = I will either find a way or make one
yj93ben is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-23-2013, 04:44 PM   #48
Jeeper
 
Gothere's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 125
Images: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by yj93ben View Post
What are you doing for pinion angle correction? If anything?
I wil be putting in a Terra-Fles Extreme SYE kit on the T-case, other than that I didn't adjust the old perches nor did I use shims...

If I do run into any problems there I guess I could add shims, use a T-case drop (although I don't want to) or even re-locate the old perches on the axle....all the info out of RRO says that I do not have to do this, except for one small blurb that says a SYE kit MAY be needed....

I will let everyone know how this pans out when I get it back up and running...
Gothere is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-23-2013, 04:58 PM   #49
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
yj93ben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Black Diamond, WA
Posts: 678
Images: 10
Spring wrap?

Are you doing a traction bar?
__________________
Ero sum: aut viam inveniam aut faciam = I will either find a way or make one
yj93ben is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-23-2013, 05:09 PM   #50
Jeeper
 
Gothere's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 125
Images: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by yj93ben View Post
I started with the same kit. Huge mistake. Cheaper to go buy perches and do it yourself. I went from the D35 to the Ford 8.8. Since I had to cut and weld the RRO rear perches to get any kind of pinion angle, they went away with the D35. Stripped the 8.8 tube bare, stuck it under the Jeep, centered the new perches with a tape measurer. Got my pinion angle, tack welded in place. Pulled and finish welding the perches. Took it out yesterday to Evans Creek ORV park to pre run. No driveline vibration and everything worked great. If you can't tell by my post, I have no love for RRO.

I looked at piecing it together myself, but I don't have a welder or access to one, nor do I want to go buy one, plus time considerations.

Some look at the price for new perches and say its cheaper, and I did the same thing. Was looking at the M.O.R.E. perches, then extended brake lines, new spring plates and bolts, shock mounts (relocation mounts) or fabing up new mounts etc...
Then the high steer problem, which there is a couple out on the market ranging from 600 on up, or piece that together too...Once all said and done the RRO kit was either about the same or a little cheaper, but main point was that it was easier for me to go with the RRO.

So far its worked for me but we will see how it performs...
Gothere is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-23-2013, 05:10 PM   #51
Jeeper
 
Gothere's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 125
Images: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by yj93ben View Post
Are you doing a traction bar?
Not yet..
Gothere is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-23-2013, 07:08 PM   #52
Jeeper
 
indirocz28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Fort Hood/ BCS, TX
Posts: 1,050
UGH, I am still up in the air on what lift I want to do.

I can't decide if I want to do the RRO kit, or just a 4" SUA kit, or go a different route with building a SOA myself etc.

Lol
__________________
MY1990 "Little YJ" Build: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f8/brou...ay-242064.html
Come wheel with us at Brazos Valley Off Road Ranch! http://www.wranglerforum.com/f53/bra...tx-237657.html
indirocz28 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-23-2013, 07:32 PM   #53
Jeeper
 
Gothere's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 125
Images: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by indirocz28 View Post
UGH, I am still up in the air on what lift I want to do.

I can't decide if I want to do the RRO kit, or just a 4" SUA kit, or go a different route with building a SOA myself etc.

Lol
I went thru the same dilemma, I looked at this kit for over a year until I finally pulled the trigger on it. Went back and forth from RRO to a solid built 4" SUA to doing the SOA myself.

My personal reasons why I finally went with the RRO...
SUA vs. SOA...I wanted flex and from what I was hearing and seeing and IMHO a SOA beats out the SUA kits for flex period.
Now that I decided on a SOA, what to do? The only real SOA kit was RRO, I know I looked for over a year. Were talking the most complete kit that I found.
Also my ability to install an SOA. I do not own a welder, don't really want to go buy one and if I were to rely on either a friend or pay for someone to do the welding necessary on a SOA build, that would be a pain in the a$$....Incidentally I was at a 4X4 shop here (respected for price and quality) and I got a quote for new front shock hoops of $300-$500.

The RRO did come with extended brake lines and a e-brake extension bracket, all other components, just the SOA kit is under $500.

With all these things considered and my "shop" (2 car garage) the RRO made sense to me.

Of course the proof is in the pudding as they say, so if you can hold off a little till I get this completed I will do a follow up on how the kit actually performs...
Gothere is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-23-2013, 07:35 PM   #54
Jeeper
 
indirocz28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Fort Hood/ BCS, TX
Posts: 1,050
Well I am looking at spending a minimum of $500 regardless either way I go. The only thing that makes going SOA either way more expensive is adding the traction bar really. And adding shocks for the RRO kit.

Without a doubt the SOA flexes better than the SUA every time.
__________________
MY1990 "Little YJ" Build: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f8/brou...ay-242064.html
Come wheel with us at Brazos Valley Off Road Ranch! http://www.wranglerforum.com/f53/bra...tx-237657.html
indirocz28 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-23-2013, 07:52 PM   #55
Jeeper
 
Gothere's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 125
Images: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by indirocz28 View Post
Well I am looking at spending a minimum of $500 regardless either way I go. The only thing that makes going SOA either way more expensive is adding the traction bar really. And adding shocks for the RRO kit.

Without a doubt the SOA flexes better than the SUA every time.
Alot of my decision was based on being able to weld a SOA on...In my case, as I said before I don't really want to go get a welder, so my only real option was a bolt on system. If you do have readily access to a welder then you have alot more options.

Traction bars (anti-wrap) are a little pricey, I looked at the M.O.R.E. and almost went with that (I think it was around $500) but cost put me back to the RRO, which I might just need one with this kit when all is said and done anyway, but I'm waiting to see how the RRO kit works first.
Gothere is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-23-2013, 07:55 PM   #56
Jeeper
 
Gothere's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 125
Images: 6
Just to clear up my last post...I paid just under $1100 for both kits (SOA and the OTT).
SOA was about $485, OTT $499, and the steering stabilizer was $89, plus shipping etc...etc...
Gothere is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-23-2013, 07:58 PM   #57
Jeeper
 
indirocz28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Fort Hood/ BCS, TX
Posts: 1,050
I found the MORE kit for $267 from Summit. So if I do go SOA (I do have access to a welder), I will got with the MORE bar.
__________________
MY1990 "Little YJ" Build: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f8/brou...ay-242064.html
Come wheel with us at Brazos Valley Off Road Ranch! http://www.wranglerforum.com/f53/bra...tx-237657.html
indirocz28 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-24-2013, 09:12 AM   #58
Jeeper
 
Gothere's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 125
Images: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by yj93ben View Post
I see your using there shock relocation bracket. Why? I bought the same kit a few year back. Hated every minute of it. The front went together fairly easy. I chose not to use the shock brackets in favor on a little longer shock.
I'm going to install and use the kit as a whole unit first, then then if and when need be, I will start modifying it to fix any issues I might have.

When I ordered the kit RRO was out of the shocks and told me about 3-4 weeks on back order, I opted not to get their shocks and look for some elsewhere.

Yes I am concerned with getting max flex on this and in finding a shock that will extend enough but not bottom out, or have to use limiter straps which defeats the purpose of installing this lift...
Gothere is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-24-2013, 09:25 AM   #59
Jeeper
 
Gothere's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 125
Images: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by yj93ben View Post
I had the same problem, spring perches won't fit over the axle tubes. Contact RRO and they told me "I had odd ball axle tubes". They told me "if I didn't feel comfortable doing a little modification, maybe I shouldn't be working on my Jeep". I reminded them this is a "bolt-on kit" taunting no welding or modifications required.
Yes, I haven't ran into that blatant attitude from them yet, but I do know that it's happened before from doing some research on the net. RRO's customer relations were and are a big concern for me, there were quite a few complaints regarding this. About the worst (so far) was when I called regarding the OTT Steer drilling I had to do, the guy kept saying "proceed with caution" ??? I was thinking ok your CYA but give me the tech advice I need...after that guy the 3 times I have called were o.k., and in honesty RRO has been on par with other companies and their tech advice, neither really good or bad...so far anyway...

I am beginning to hate the grinding part, like you I continually read "best bolt on SOA on the market" and in their instruction (which could be better BTW) says a "modicum of mechanical ability", well if anyone is going to buy this kit one of the suggestion I will give is to buy a grinder also...

But all that will be covered in my after install section, I can go over the good, bad and ugly of the kit and install (that I ran into) there...
Gothere is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-24-2013, 09:49 AM   #60
Jeeper
 
indirocz28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Fort Hood/ BCS, TX
Posts: 1,050
How far out are you from having it completed?

__________________
MY1990 "Little YJ" Build: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f8/brou...ay-242064.html
Come wheel with us at Brazos Valley Off Road Ranch! http://www.wranglerforum.com/f53/bra...tx-237657.html
indirocz28 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:17 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC