Here is a picture of a piece of the old frame next to the new one. If I am lining it up correctly, it looks like the mounts would have to be moved back just a little bit, right? And is there any way to do this without relocating the mounts? We thought of drilling a hole in the frame so that we could use the "extra" plate that ours came with, rotate everything into position, and then make our own notch so that it would line up right, but I'm not sure if that's going to work. Mostly because the front drive shaft would likely be too long .
And yes, those mounts are on backwards, we thought we would give it a try to see if it would fit...
Well then, relocated the mounts and got a new skid plate. We are still wondering what happened here, but all is well. I measured my buddies' frame and my mounts were indeed about 1.25" too far forward. But they weren't far enough forward to be a 4.0, nobody has any idea what's up with this. The guy that sold me the frame helped me relocate the mounts and felt terrible about it. They don't look like someone else relocated them to fit a different engine at some point... but let's move on.
We got a new skid plate because mine was a little beat. It used to work but since the holes that mount to the frame had some play we couldn't get everything to stay straight to relocate the mounts. Turns out a guy 5 minutes a way had one for $75. I then traded my crappy skid plate for a light bar with lights with a dude on cl who desperately needed a skid plate because his was more rotted than my old floors.
So progress should come along now, I'm going to run break and fuel lines tomorrow, and order new brakes and rotors. After I'm finished I'm going to start a new thread that's less messy.
Also, now that we moved where the engine mounts, I have about 1.25" of play on the front driveshaft, so it's not stuffed anymore. And from the front of the frame to the nut on the radiator fan measures .25" off of my bodies yj, so we are pretty damn close to where we are supposed to be.
__________________ My back yard. Sutter Buttes. Best 4 wheeling around! All private owned and few get to enjoy it's rugged beauty first hand. 1993 Jeep Wrangler YJ 2.5L AX5 Transmission Rough Country 4" Suspension Lift 27" Wildcat Tires and Stock Wheels KC Fog Lights OEM Push Guard White SmittyBilt Soft Top with Rugged Ridge Hardware CB Radio Full Sound System.....
And I'll update some pics next week, on sunday we're getting the broken bolts out of the new body. It has one spot of rust on the driver side that needs a plate welded in were the seatbelt attaches. Then we sand it down and were going bedliner underneath and interior. And my gf is painting it olive drab, rattle can style. She's good at making spray paint work. She's tried to teach me but I think it aggravates her that I can't do it... so I'm leaving it to her.
I also have both roll bars, what does everyone like better? I have the "family" roll bar, and the other one that doesn't protect the rear passengers. I'm gonna sell off whatever one I don't use, along with axles, body parts, computer, etc. Hoping to get a plow in return.
Back from a long break on this project. All that's really left is body work, and we decided were going to roll on the paint instead, it seems to come out better that way from the forums that I've read.
Anyway, this might be common knowledge, but that aircraft paint remover turns a cheap spray on bedliner into butter.
This stuff is a miracle, aside from the stench. Luckily I'm in a paint room with great ventilation.
So after removing the old bedliner I had a bit of an elbow injury, so I took a break. It is a slow project right? Just finishing up by replacing the rot on the "new" tub. Needs reinforcing where the seats bolt on and where the seat belts bolt on. Using 1/4" steel for seat belt mounts to be safe. My buddy gave me floor panels and is welding them in for me, I'm unfortunately inexperienced in that department, but ready to self educate for future maintenance.
I'm currently selling off extra parts on craigslist to fund the new wheels and tires, and we should be painting and bedlining next week, so we're almost to the end
Here's a pic of my buddies handywork.
It's not done yet, still more welding and grinding, then por15 and bedlinng. The rust wasn't that bad but we figured we may as well use as much of the floor panels as we can rather than waste them. Going to use the seam sealer on it too before hand.