I started a little bit on tearing down the front axle. I did manage to get one of the locking hubs off. Only had one cap screw that rounded out on that hub. Then I was off to town to get an axle nut socket, and then got the spindle and brakes off. I had then found I need a Ball Joint Spanner Wrench.
I had to order from Napa # 278-2030 and will be here tomorrow
You can see the inner ball joint preload nut here
So far about 3 hours to get one side this far
Also, today I did a little horse trading. Traded my Lincoln 185 tig for a Thermal dynamics 180 Tig/Arc and a Hypertherm 30 Plasma cutter and bought a Lincoln 180 HD Mig. They will be coming next week. I should be set-up for the cutting and welding for the project pretty good now.
My little basement furnace-room machine shop has been a "catch all" this winter. So in the the morning I'm holding my breath and "going in" to clean it up. If I don't come out by nightfall, better send someone in after me.
It was a long afternoon, but I was able to get both knuckles off. Of course I manage to bugger up some threads in one of the upper C's. Now I need to figure out what size threads are in there, and will have to get a tap! I'm sure that will be cheap..........looks like it's bigger than 1".
I figured out the thread size of the upper C's, its 1 1/8-12. I might try slotting a bolt and thread it up from the bottom to try and clean up them top threads. If that doesn't work, I guess I will have to try and find a used tap on fleebay.
The first of the 3 new toys showed up today.
I got my old tig ready for the trade in tomorrow.
I'm keeping my old cart that was homemade. I'm going to convert it to hold 2 tanks, the new mig, and the new plasma and new tig thats coming tomorrow.